Any Tomahawk fans here?

PDA

PropellerHead
December 21, 2002, 10:41 AM
While I don't have one yet, I'm hoping to get one soon! I'm drooling over the 'hawks from American Tomahawk Co. (http://www.americantomahawk.com) .

I'm also interested in hawks from HB Forge and a local maker Raymond Richards (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=234472) .

Anyone have any nice 'hawks they want to show off?

Cheers!

If you enjoyed reading about "Any Tomahawk fans here?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Byron Quick
December 21, 2002, 03:26 PM
I've never played with tomahawks but I've thrown hatchets a bit.
I like hatchets as they are viewed as tools not weapons. Put one in the top of a toolbox in the back seat or such.

JShirley
December 21, 2002, 06:07 PM
I have a nice "hatchet" :rolleyes: that I got from Himalayan Imports. I like it quite a bit, but the handle is very poor. I'd like to get a solid mount onto a piece of canvas micarta 'bout 18" long.

Byron Quick
December 21, 2002, 09:08 PM
John,

I don't think a small battle ax could be considered a hatchet.

Byron Quick
December 22, 2002, 03:44 AM
Hmm, software is doing some strange stuff.

George Hill
December 22, 2002, 10:51 PM
Hawks and Hatchets...
Deadly weapons in the hands of someone willing to use them.
They are excellent weapons for your off hand/secondary weapon.

An entrenching tool would do just as well.

Chris Rhines
December 22, 2002, 10:59 PM
I saw some pretty nice 'hawk tossing at The Feast of the Hunter's Moon* this past fall. Looks like fun.

E-tools are nice, but they don't really have the flavor of a tomahawk. More functional, though. I keep one in the Honda of Doom, handy thing to have around.

Lutel (of the Czech Republic) makes some nice-looking repro axes. They have a good reputation for quality and the prices are suprisingly reasonable.

- Chris

* - It's a local Lafayette historical reenactment festival. Loads of fun!

Preacherman
December 23, 2002, 01:35 AM
Just don't throw the darn things! In South Africa we had a word for those who threw weapons at others - we called them "disarmed"!!! :eek: Usually, when someone tried this on me, I took full advantage of his error of judgement... :D

Byron Quick
December 23, 2002, 08:59 AM
When someone throws a weapon whether dedicated or improvised...I'm going to evaluate what's happening. If the weapon is thrown well, my evaluation will go thus: this guy knows what he is doing with thrown weapons therefore I must make one of two conclusions-either he is a fool who just happens to throw well or he is not a fool and he's got more weapons.

I throw knives, hatchets, tire irons, punches and such right well. If you see me throw one you can bet your last dollar I'm not unarmed.

That being said, thrown weapons are not primary, secondary, or even tertiary weapons in my carry inventory. It's more on an improvisational basis as far as real use is concerned. On a daily basis, I just like to throw things.

Don Gwinn
December 23, 2002, 09:47 AM
Currently in the process of forging my own hawk head from a large rasp. Should be wicked when finished, and it will really truly be "mine." I'll post pictures if I ever get the weight right.

C.R.Sam
December 23, 2002, 02:32 PM
Combine the responses of Preacherman and Byron...

Situational awarenes can keep you alive.

Sam

Jim V
December 23, 2002, 09:21 PM
More than a few 'hawks and axes can be found at: Atlanta Cutlery (http://216.245.165.123/cgi-bin/www11651.storefront). Good people to deal with.

labgrade
December 24, 2002, 03:49 AM
Always good enough to decently throw things, but I'd say that'd be right up there with "I'm out of ammo."

Regular hatchet is better for chopping & that sucks compared to an axe .... I've some other questions why a t'hawk would ever even be considered for anything.

There's so many other things better ....

Serious question though.

What practical use does a t'hawk have? Willing to know something new.

Why would you choose a t'hawk to do anything that other things do so much better?

JMLV
December 24, 2002, 01:46 PM
dRY WALL HAMMER AS AVAIABLE AT HOME DEPOT. WORKS WELL FOR ITS INTENDED PURPOSE BUT NOT CLASSIFIED AS A WEAPON UNLESS YOU USE IT AS ONE. HANDY IN MY FORMER STATE OF nj.

El Tejon
December 24, 2002, 07:39 PM
Propellor, have a couple of American Tomahawk Co. products. Excellent weapons. I can recommend them.

As to lab's comments, yep, he's right. No use, but looks cool in my armoury. [insert gun nut comments here]

[*disclaimer--I go to gun skul with the owner]

Frank Jones
December 24, 2002, 08:34 PM
Sure, a khukuri is better for chopping, and even for throwing if you're that type of guy. But I have found the tomahawk to have some unique qualities.

Now, putting aside the problem of toting one around, a tomahawk is an excellent choice at close quarters. At a medium range they have the advantage of length over a knife. At closer range, the bottom edge is great for hooking and clearing attacking limbs. Finally, the tomahawk is one of the few large edged weapons that loses none of its usefulness at grappling or body contact range. Just choke up on the handle, as much as you like.

My favorite design is the old LaGana Style, with a short handle.

Rick R
December 25, 2002, 08:25 PM
I just finished assembling a tomahawk that I bought last year from Mountain State Muzzleloaders. The head said "India" on it and seems to be kind of mild steel. They were out of handles ( and I just found out they are now out of business) so I made one out of 1 1/8" oak dowel rod 18" long.

I put an edge on the finished product and tried a few throws at a dead oak tree near my house. I'm amazed at how far you can stick it in a target and how hard it seems to hit. Chopping 1" - 1 1/2" limbs in a brush pile was pretty easy. It's seems better than a hatchet and more portable than an axe. Time will tell how durable the edge is and I'm just going to have to dig up some scrap Kydex from another project and make a sheath of some sort.

Rick

Andrew Wyatt
December 26, 2002, 02:06 PM
I second the recommendation on the drywall hammer. It's a durn handy tool in general.

Hkmp5sd
December 26, 2002, 10:23 PM
Oops, thought this was about submarine launched cruise missiles. :)

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
December 27, 2002, 02:06 AM
For now, I have a Cold Steel "Spetznaz" shovel in the back end of my 4wd. Cheaper Than Dirt has some Swiss army surplus models vey similar to the copy I have and I probably will pick up one or two of them next time I'm over that way. I like having a hawk, but in a state where they look askance at items that are not readily recognisable as 'just tools' I think having a sharpened-edge little fannywhacker is pretty stealthy.

Cold Steel shovel
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?sku=36565&mscssid=AH9998BWFV0H9KGBQMF9RK0EXTTWC851

Swiss shovel
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?sku=ZAA%2D174&mscssid=AH9998BWFV0H9KGBQMF9RK0EXTTWC851[/URL]

Watchman
December 27, 2002, 02:32 AM
Ive made about 2 dozen various stlyes of tomahawks over the years.

I can accuratley throw one up to about 20 yards, or 3 flips.

I like long handles for leverage and make em 18 inches long.

Ive made several traditional tomohawks but I recently bulit one that would be classified as a "war" hawk.

Its sharpened on 3 sides and has a top serated edge. It doesent have the traditonal curve to the balde but rather is angled back straight. This thing will stick so hard in an Oak tree that you;ll have to brace yourself with your leg it dig it out.

The tomohawk is the ultimate utility tool. Back in the good old days they were working tools that could double as a weapon if need be. Make no mistake, a man that knows how to use a hawk can be a very tough opponet.

I ve'made several out of D-2 but they were too brittle, the last few I've made out of 4150 and oil quenched seem to be doing great. They'll hold an edge, easy to sharpen and they dont chip out like the tool steels do.

Watchman
December 27, 2002, 02:39 AM
Currently in the process of forging my own hawk head from a large rasp. Should be wicked when finished, and it will really truly be "mine." I'll post pictures if I ever get the weight right.

Don, you'll need to aneal it when you are done working it. If you dont it, be way too brittle.

Ive BTDT. Spent awhile making a "sword" out of a 24 inch mill file and it looked beautiful as I ground it on a surface grinder.
Unfortunatley, I dropped it and the thing shattered like glass to due to imparting stress in it from being worked. In fact, It might be a good idea to aneal it before you start working on it.

Dad-Gummit
December 27, 2002, 11:27 AM
It has been said by the "non-experts" ie the people who have either used or have seen them in use, that the tomahawk is one of the most effective close quarters weapons ever devised. I have read (forgot where) that the tomahawk was used in the pacific during WWII with deadly success, and that a govt issue 'hawk was used by some troops in Vietnam. If you have ever held a balanced tomahawk you can get the sense of their effectivness,and what could be done with one.

4v50 Gary
December 28, 2002, 02:32 PM
I throw fits. :o

I've a couple of tomahawks that I throw, but never spent the time to become good at it. Tried to talk "Beaver" Bill Keefer into duplicating one like Daniel Boone carried. His had the traditional axe head, with a spike on top and back and the handle was also pointed. He mourned the loss of the hawk in a fire in Missouri as it was the only 'hawk he had that could be tossed from any distance and it would still stick (impale) to the object.

Both Native Americans and the frontiersmen became proficient with the tomahawk with many of them praticing with it since childhood (why didn't we have those type of sports as kids?).

BTW, I've no more pipe tomahawks. Gave them both away and now I'll have to shop for a third.

Tamara
December 28, 2002, 02:36 PM
...I did recently get a very cool Hanwei-made Viking-style bearded axe.

When I hold it, it makes me want to loot Scotland. :D

Rick R
December 28, 2002, 04:19 PM
I may have to break down and buy one of those Cold Steel "Bad Axe" things. It's not historically or politically correct, but it looks like a lot of fun. Heck, if I didn't get seasick in small, oar driven boats while wearing a chain mail life preserver I'd help Tamara loot Scotland (that is where Scotch comes from isn't it?;) ).

Rick

ARGarrison
December 31, 2002, 04:48 PM
Fan may be to strong a word, but I do have one. A Cold Steel Frointer Thomahawk. Got it after watching "The Patriot", thought about getting on after seeing "The Last of the Mohicans".

My Estwing leather wrapped handled hachet makes a better all around tool.

Hkmp5sd; Thomahawks aren't just for Submarines anymore.

Poodleshooter
December 31, 2002, 08:14 PM
Mine's not a hawk, but I did take a file and stone to a Craftsman hammer butted hatchet, converting it to a handy, sharp, belt ax. Enough file work, and it balances fairly well for a $20 piece of steel and wood. It's an excellent tool that works equally well on kindling, or for chopping through ribs and neckbones while hunting.

Dr.Rob
January 2, 2003, 08:21 PM
I used to be pretty good at tossing a tomahawk when I was younger.. got mine from a dixie gunworks catalog if I recall correctly.. always had a soft spot for the cold steel spetznatz shovel.

Now I've gotta go dig through the REST of my rendezvouz gear to figure out what ever happened to my 'hawk. It's likely in the same place as my green river knife.

Never really thought of using the 'Hawk as a weapon in modern times, but I know it was issued in Vietnam.. never saw an army manual explaining its use though.

Watchman
January 7, 2003, 10:57 PM
A picture of a Warhawk...

Sharpened on 3 sides and showing a bit of abuse from being thrown...its hard to see the contours in this picture...but it will shave hair...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid46/p613302c18d6f1d89ea76173209d7eb18/fccf910c.jpg

JShirley
January 7, 2003, 11:28 PM
Throwing a kukuri will constitute abuse, and is about the ONLY thing you could do (less than crunching under a D-10) to a kuk that would invalidate the HI warranty.

John
bought another kuk tonight...

Kingcreek
January 8, 2003, 12:43 PM
I've never had any desire or reason to THROW a hawk but I have used a Gransfors Bruks hunters axe for awhile now. handforged 1.5# head and about 19" oal. Great for camp chores, quartering big game, and you could shave with it if you wanted to.
If you've never handled one of the GBs you ought to. but throw it???... never.

Don Gwinn
January 10, 2003, 04:00 PM
Don't worry, Watchman, every night when I finish screwing up the shape it goes back into the ashes. :D

bobs1066
January 25, 2003, 10:58 AM
Speaking of axes, I keep a gadget called a Truckman Axe in the car. I got it at a Home Depot a couple of years ago, seems as if it was primarily designed as a fire fighter's tool.

Here's a description: http://www.ustape.com/index.html?session_id=61396c105b6def87f73d0a9373a0abf1&screen=truckman_axe

Looks as if it's pretty much industructable iin normal use. I've not had to fight any knights dressed in plate, but I do get a case of the warm fuzzies by knowing I've got an axe handy...:D

106rr
January 27, 2003, 05:52 PM
Vietnam tomahawk:
I went to a reunion of the 196th Light Infantry Brigade and did an informal survey about the hawk.
We are all combat infantry veterans. We were on our way to the Black Wall for a memorial service for our 1200+ fallen brothers. We went in in 66 and we were the last Army unit out at the end. In three busloads of real vets. Not one guy had ever seen or been issued a tomahawk of any kind.
I think one poor guy (not 196th LIB) got photographed with a tomahawk and a corpse late in the war. I don't think these tomahawks were ever issued to any unit.

Hand_Rifle_Guy
January 31, 2003, 05:51 PM
Hmmm...

I've got a hand-axe, 18-ish inch hickory handle, hand-forged mild-steel head with a chunk of rasp forged into the edge, curved edge about 4 inches length that'll cut steel nicely. Don't use it for that, though.

Keep it razor-sharp, and use it for hand-hewn woodworking. Holds an edge beautifully, hasn't chipped yet. Watched it being built by a skilled blacksmith at a renne-faire, who heat-treated it just like I woulda told him to do it. Took him a grand total of an hour's work to make.

Thrown it a few times, just for yucks. Works great. But I use it as a tool, first and foremost, as it''ll do precision cutting. Watch those Scandinavian guys building Viking log cabins on "The Woodwright's Shop" to see what I mean.

Would make a dandy weapon in a pinch, but more or less obsolete. Battle-axes had curved edges purposely to shear through plate armor, and generally had a hammer or pick head on the obverse to bust through chainmail links. Axes make good hooks for yanking shields out of the way, and the head's good for reaching past the edge of said shield that's thrown up to block the blow. Not much of that currently to be found on criminals, or anybody, for that matter these days.

Nematocyst
March 25, 2007, 08:40 PM
So, I'm researching tomahawks.

Read this one a while ago, found it informative.

Thought I'd give it a bump, see if any of the original subscribers are still around.
<snickers: I know a bunch of you are ... "Come out, come out where ever you are..." :rolleyes: )

I've put a longer description of my T'hawk interests over in
this thread (also wakened from a deep sleep) on the ATC VTAC (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=95004).
Wander over, and check out post 8. (The other ones are very informative.)

If you've got any current thoughts or ideas about T'hawks,
especially the questions I laid out in that other thread, I'm reading. ;)

Nem

hso
March 25, 2007, 09:39 PM
Get the SOG.

JShirley
March 26, 2007, 03:01 AM
Back from the dead!

I think I have a 'hawk from D. Hoskins floating around Afghanistan somewhere. Odds are probably about even that I'll meet up with it before I leave country in a couple of months. (Thank you, 180th Infantry supply chain!) :barf:

John

hso
March 26, 2007, 06:17 AM
so, John, how long is it taking for things to catch up to you? 2 months? 3?

JShirley
March 26, 2007, 07:22 AM
Not sure, but I wouldn't suggest anyone else send anything else to my Black Horse address.

I'll probably use the address of the Psyops guys for any last-minute mail. It gets sent to Bagram in probably a week or so from the US, and picked up by them in no more than a week after that...I'd never expect less than a month at the least to receive mail here, and probably longer.

J

Nematocyst
March 26, 2007, 04:52 PM
I think I have a 'hawk from D. Hoskins floating around Afghanistan somewhere. John, I've read conflicting accounts about t'hawks being used by military personnel in the line of duty.

Yet I read something yesterday (can't find it now) that implied the Vietnam era t'hawks were not as widely used as has been claimed.

But then another site (also now lost to me) claimed that they're making a come back in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Can you educate us on that? Used often or rarely? If used, how? Is it primarily a special forces tool, or more widely used?

Added by edit: Ah, I found one of the sources: FIGHTING TOMAHAWK: An Illustrated Guide to Using the Tomahawk and Long Knife as Weapons by Dwight C. McLemore (http://www.paladin-press.com/detail.aspx?ID=1095)

[The tomahawk] saw service in Vietnam, and it is currently being used by special forces members in Afghanistan and Iraq, including U.S. Navy SEALs and Army Rangers, for everything from engaging enemies to digging foxholes to opening ammo containers.

JShirley
March 27, 2007, 01:10 AM
I would believe 'hawks are typically rarely used. I didn't see any with the last ODA (A Team), and haven't seen any with the current team, either.

I ordered a "crash hawk" when I knew I would be leaving my job as SECFOR, and thought I might be convoying a lot more.

If you're going house-to-house, weight is a premium, and folks wouldn't want to be weighed down more than necessary, especially in hot weather.

Nematocyst
March 27, 2007, 01:13 AM
I ordered a "crash hawk" ...Crash hawk? :confused:

JShirley
March 27, 2007, 01:04 PM
In other words, a tough, small ax that could be used to clear/cut one out of a damaged vehicle.

Nematocyst
March 27, 2007, 02:47 PM
Ahhh. Thanks. Interesting concept, that one.

coelacanth
March 29, 2007, 02:09 AM
I throw tomahawks...and knives...and lots of other stuff ( grin ). MY 2 custom made hawks have done great over the years. Mild steel with a hard steel cutting edge forge welded between two folded layers. They cut beautifully and balance well enough for beer can accuracy at across the room distances. They have tough hickory handles and as mentioned in other posts the tomahawk excels at close quarters combat. If you wish to see them in action I would recommend fight scenes from "The Patriot" with Mel Gibson and also "The Last of the Mohicans" with Daniel Day Lewis. Admittedly Hollywood choreographed fight scenes are not the last word in martial arts instruction but it is hard to grasp the deadly efficiency of the tomahawk until you see the whirling, slashing attacks depicted in these fight scenes. Viking small axes predate the 'hawk by many centuries but they were used in a very similar manner and few sons of the north ventured forth without a pair of them.

SlamFire1
March 29, 2007, 04:56 PM
I have a couple of full sized tomahawks from HB forge. http://www.hbforge.com/ One I purchased in 1974. Back then the names were different, today it is called the Seneca, back then HB had names like Squaw hawk, papoose hawk. I forget what mine was called. I must have thrown that tomahawk a 1000 times and got down right good with it out to fifty feet.

But as I got older and wiser, I found that the tomahawk is an excellent tool. It really is a better chopping instrument than your average hatchet, and I must say, the average khukuri. The reason is leverage. You have a reasonably weighted head and a long shaft. It works just excellent as a light axe, but without the weight.

Yes these things were used as weapons, but back then, you carried everything, so you did not have a travel trailer of equipment options like folks today have. You used what you had.

My main complaint was the lack of a decent tent spike pounding surface. So I purchased a HB camp axe. Well that axe was not as well balanced and weighed more than I liked. So, if I want to pound tent stakes, I chop a hunk of wood, and use that on the stakes.

My other complaint was the lack of a decent sheath. That sharp point will go right though your gut if you happen to fall on it.

hso
March 29, 2007, 05:17 PM
Thanks for that site Slamfire1!!!

Nematocyst
March 29, 2007, 07:09 PM
Them are awful nice, aren't they. :D

Oh, I'm so into T'hawks. I had no idea how much I want one (or more) before reading several of these related threads. Now, I'm thinking about them a lot.

I am, indeed, a tomahawk fan.

Hey, does that make this a fan club? :p :D

Any body got an good sites to recommend about these tools? Not just sales places (though those are great too), but also sites about their history, usage (military and non; fighting and camp), etc?

I found this book, Fighting Tomahawk by Dwight McLemore (http://www.paladin-press.com/detail.aspx?ID=1095) (may have learned of it in this thread...) and will probably buy it, but am hoping to read some reviews of it before investing. Any books out there that are as good or better?

Nem

March 29, 2007, 07:55 PM
I have three hawks which I throw on a continual basis. I look at it as an option other than shooting. I cant always rip off a mag off of the deck range I have set up (It upsets my older dogs & my girlfriend). To me it is like therapy(Much like shooting). I spend an hour or so throwing my hawks and I feel refreshed. It is also a cheaper option to shooting all the time. I probably go through about 2 handles a year. As for protection? I guess if it is the only option available at the time then.........well , we'll just see how it all turns out!

SlamFire1
March 29, 2007, 08:12 PM
HSO: Glad to be of service!. :D SlamFire1

Nematocyst
March 29, 2007, 08:33 PM
I found this book, Fighting Tomahawk by Dwight McLemore (may have learned of it in this thread...) and will probably buy it, but am hoping to read some reviews of it before investing.Just found this set of reader reviews about that book (http://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Tomahawk-Dwight-C-McLemore/dp/1581604416).

One of the only books I've ever seen on Amazon that got all (6) 5-star reviews.

No, I'm not suggesting one can learn to fight with one from a book alone.

But all good classes need good texts.

This looks like a good candidate.
_________

By the way, here's my current desktop image.

It's a SOG Fusion (http://sogknives.com/store/F01T.html).

Pancho
February 26, 2008, 12:15 AM
there is hardly a more satisfying sound than the "thunk" of a t-hawk sticking in an Oak slab. My first 'thunk' was 10 years ago and now at 59 I still can forget everything when I'm throwing.

Pancho
February 26, 2008, 12:23 AM
I give throwing lessons once a year at our "Heritage Day Celebration" I get everybody from tiny girls that can barely through a squaw hawk. To the big boys that think power is everything. I have two rules, If you stick it I get it. If you don't you get it yourself.
I'm often asked if the warriors would routinely through their hawks. My only answer is. If you throw your weapon at your enemy and don't kill him then he has your weapon and you better have a back up.

xx7grant7x
February 26, 2008, 03:08 AM
Get the SOG.

mmmmmmmmmm........SOG I love most that they make, got 1 of theirs on the way

Nematocyst
February 26, 2008, 03:40 AM
SOG has now put a new fiberglass reinforced nylon handle on that Fusion (http://sogknives.com/store/F01T.html)
in response to problems with breakages of the original wooden one.

Patrick_Henry
February 26, 2008, 09:34 AM
Ah tomahawks. I got a Cold Steel Rifleman's Hawk for Christmas a couple of years ago and it has since gone most places I do. It's been used of just about everything.

Last fall a friend of mine got the pain bead blasted off and put a light rust on it instead then we varnished the handle and made a nice leather sheath. Not it looks "real".

I've done everything with it from throwing to splitting wood and it works dandy.

Patrick_Henry
February 26, 2008, 09:36 AM
P.S. The Fighting Tomahawk is thus far the only book I've seen on the subject. I haven't read it but would love to pick it up some time soon...

The Cold Steel guys did have a short but relatively informative article on their sight somewhere. If you want it and can't find it let me know as I think I have a copy on my computer here somewhere...

utcaleb
March 26, 2011, 08:48 PM
I have had some problems with SOG steel. I have a couple of SOG Fusion Hawks, the Spirit and a Hand Axe. The problem is that it chips (made in China). I have written and talked to Giovanni at SOG's warranty dept. several times, and he has been more than helpful. The only real problem item has been the SOG machete according to SOG, and they switched suppliers - I saw a guy break one in half in one swing. SOG will modify/ correct any defects and let you know what's going on with your stuff. I highly recommend them for the price. Anybody had any similar problems?

stickwhistler
March 27, 2011, 03:10 AM
Cold Steel tomahawk fighting article is HERE (http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/csstoreonline/article13.pdf) :)

Deltaboy
March 27, 2011, 05:54 PM
My Cousin told me that several LERP Squads carried personal hawks for cutting stuff instead of a Machet and that he had heard of them being used in VC sentrys.

SWAT1911
March 27, 2011, 06:23 PM
SWAT magazine did a recent article on them that was pretty interesting and gave a list of manufacturers. Apparently alot are goin overseas with our troops and are being advertised for breaking out windows, clearing obstacles in houses etc. and a few of them say their designed to pierce Kevlar helmets. I like RMJ tacticals hawks but beware they run from 350+ so they cost a bit, their website says they are backed up by months b/c so many military orders. I've been pretty impresses with the SOG fusion so far both with throwing and general striking.
My .02 :)

SlamFire1
March 28, 2011, 11:03 AM
Well this is a blast from the past and I thought I would post some pictures of my 1974 HB forge Tomahawk.

This tomahawk has been an excellent chopper, has enough weight to make a deep cut in wood. When I talked to the owner, whose name I forgot to write down, this tomahawk was probably made when he had Amish blacksmiths working for him. That period ended in 1975.

The laminated bit is a wedge of 1095 steel, but it is not as hard as it could be. The maker tempers the wedge to 40-45 rockwell. His reason was that if it got much harder it is hard to use a file to sharpen. HB forge said that 40-45 rockwell was the hardness of a standard double bitted axe. The rest of the head is 1018 steel. I think the laminated construction is a great idea though I would have preferred the insert to be heat treated to a higher rockwell.

I must have thrown this thing a thousand or two times. The wood shaft head is a bit busted from all the poor throws, but it is still all together.

I added bicycle handlebar tape to see how it would feel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/knives/tomahawks/DSCN1190HBForge1974.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/knives/tomahawks/DSCN1201HB1095bit.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/knives/tomahawks/DSCN1196HB1095Bit.jpg

Recently I picked up a Polaris Tomahawk by 2 Hawks. This is lighter than the HB forge, very fast in the hand, and would be an excellent fighting hawk, in my opinion. I have not tried to chop with it but being light it probably will not be as good a chopper as the heavier HB forge version. The Polaris arrives very sharp and the upper and lower edges are sharpened, it is very easy to cut yourself on this tomahawk. The shaft is very smooth and I love the flame hardening colors on the wood.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/knives/tomahawks/DSCN1204Polaris.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/knives/tomahawks/DSCN1207Polaris.jpg

Busyhands94
March 28, 2011, 02:24 PM
i used to throw axes, knives, throwing stars, nails, and just about anything pointed for fun. i can even throw a needle and pop a balloon form 5 feet. but my favorite was my Collins 1/4 pound hatchet. i have it somewhere and i bought a new handle for it a while ago.

Grousefeather
March 29, 2011, 09:57 PM
Nematocyst, I spent 3 tours in Spl Ops units in the AF in Nam. Worked with all services in and out. Never saw a Viet Nam hawk till year later in a catalog. Go figure. But never say never. Some of that stuff was very mission oriented and would never be known by anyone but to what unit it was issued. Point in case, I do know of of some special boots, made for a mission, that the soles left a print of a asian foot print in the sand banks. the bottom was molded in the imprint of a bare foot.

messerist
March 30, 2011, 09:16 PM
Here are two tomahawks that I forged from ballpeen hammers. I normally make knives but after seeing some work on another site of several tomahawk makers I had to give it a whirl.
http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt204/messerist/hotbogsandtomahawk029.jpg
http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt204/messerist/013.jpg

chrome_austex
March 30, 2011, 10:03 PM
My pipe hawk ... it gets more smoking than chopping these days.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_zfk0fTGrWaw/TZPgjrHjrrI/AAAAAAAAAFo/QkTvF6DOZgI/s576/hawk1.JPG

HatchetsandAxes
April 5, 2011, 01:50 AM
I found this and thought others would enjoy. Here is King's Forge replica tomahawk from The Patriot (http://www.hatchetsandaxes.com/custom_patriot_throwing_tomahawk). Sweet eh?http://www.hatchetsandaxes.com/files/3863718/uploaded/patriot1.JPG

Deltaboy
April 5, 2011, 07:34 PM
Nice hawks from a ball pein hammer

Critical J
August 19, 2011, 04:41 PM
I tend to get on kicks from time-to-time that never seem to last so the wife refused to justify me an official American Tomahawk, thusly my first real Tomahawk in years is currently on on the way, but I had to settle this time for the SOG Fusion model as my budget starter 'hawk. I would have liked the Cold Steel Rifleman's better, but for a bug-out-bag I couldn't justify the wooden handle. The SOG might not be full tang, but reinforced polypropelene is better than hickory wood and hickory is about as durable as one could hope to find in terms of replacements in my corner of the country - it'll do for now...

BRad704
August 19, 2011, 05:11 PM
What is the haft made from on this one? It's beautiful! and you did a great job on the forging as well!

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt204/messerist/hotbogsandtomahawk029.jpg

IBEWBULL
August 19, 2011, 07:21 PM
I have several hawks from when I did the rendezvous and buck skinning. hey are about the house somewhere along with my Kukri , a modern replica of the Viet Nam Hawk , machete and replica navy cutlass.
An edged weapon never runs out of ammo.
It never hurts to have the proper tool for the job.

messerist
August 19, 2011, 10:48 PM
Brad. The handle/haft is curly maple stained with aqua fortis. Aqua fortis is nitric acid cut by dissolving iron in it. I stained this handle by applying the aqua fortis with a dye swab, letting it dry and then, heating the wood with a heat gun. You get a very nice finish this way that seems to make the wood appear almost three dimensional. I neutralize the wood with a water/baking soda solution, let dry and then apply boiled linseed oil to it. Put on as much oil that the wood will absorb. After, buff with a soft lint-free cloth(I use cloth baby diapers...clean of course.). Is there an easier way, probably but this is how I do it and it works for me. I am working on two more hawks so I should have some to post soon:) Good luck with your knife making!

If you enjoyed reading about "Any Tomahawk fans here?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!