(OH) 18-year-old carryout employee kills intruder

PDA

Drizzt
October 17, 2007, 09:51 PM
18-year-old carryout employee kills intruder
By John Futty

The Columbus Dispatch
Friday, June 30, 2006

An 18-year-old carryout employee fatally shot one of two intruders who broke into the store on E. 5th Avenue early today, police said.

Eric M. Ford, 28, was pronounced dead inside the Express Market, 900 E. 5th Ave., at 4:37 a.m. It appeared he was shot once in the upper body, homicide Det. Jay Fulton said.

Police identified the other suspected burglar as Lawrence A. Ford, 38. He was arrested about two blocks from the store after fleeing on foot and was charged with aggravated burglary and murder.

“Because the person in custody was participating in a felony in which someone was killed, he can be charged with murder,'' Fulton said.

The two men are related, but police were still trying to confirm their relationship. They shared a South Linden address.

Police declined to identify the store employee who shot Eric Ford.

A release from police said the man fired in self defense, but Fulton said the Franklin County prosecutor's office would review the case to determine whether to pursue charges against the employee.

He said the employee spent the night in the business, which closed at 1 a.m., to clean and restock shelves, and had a bed in the store's office where he slept.

The burglars broke the lock off a security gate, then smashed the front door glass to enter the store.

Fulton said it appears the employee came out of the office and fired a handgun when he was confronted by a masked man with a crow bar behind the store's counter.

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/contentbe/EPIC_shim.php?story=196162

If you enjoyed reading about "(OH) 18-year-old carryout employee kills intruder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TexasRifleman
October 17, 2007, 09:54 PM
Is it just me or has there been a rash of "good guy with a gun" stories lately?

Is the press reporting more of these than before or are we just talking about it more here on THR?

Either way I'm glad to see it.

It's a shame that anyone has to die of course, but that decision was not made by the shooter.

gp911
October 18, 2007, 12:18 AM
E. 5th avenue = good idea to keep a gun in a carryout.

I used to work near there. Lotsa crime, lotsa drugs...

Luckily the bad guy got hurt this time.

gp911

Prince Yamato
October 18, 2007, 12:37 AM
I think one or two got reported, but LOTS of people with guns read about them. The folks with guns suddenly say to themselves, "hell, so I CAN shoot an intruder" and they shoot intruders. Then they get reported, someone else reads the story... see the pattern?

Plumber576
October 18, 2007, 01:19 AM
I live right near there, and used to live closer. It sounds just like somethign that would happen on 5th. Good for that kid taking action, but now I'll be looking for protestors.

Luckily, Columbus is not nearly as bead as Cleveland as far as anti-gun ghetto protestors.

Shooters Plus
October 18, 2007, 01:41 AM
Goodguy - :D
Badguy - :uhoh:

FieroCDSP
October 18, 2007, 01:42 AM
Hmm...doesn't say whether the gun was his or the store's/store owner's. Regardless, he could be in for a lot of trouble. Columbus is still trying to cope with the complete annihilation of their numerous gun restrictions, so they're probably on a vigilante hunt as we speak. We wouldn't want to support the new state laws, would we? :rolleyes:

dscottw88
October 18, 2007, 06:18 AM
18 year old with a hand gun? That wont fly for me, I gotta wait till the big 21!! rifles only for now.

Omaney
October 18, 2007, 09:10 AM
I will focus on the positive...2 less thugs. yay.

gunsmith
October 18, 2007, 09:16 AM
To Robert Ford the "dirty little coward" who shot Mr Howard...
AKA Jesse James:evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "(OH) 18-year-old carryout employee kills intruder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!