El Paso IWB Holster for GP100 3"

PDA

DawgFvr
October 18, 2007, 12:50 AM
I just got my new "Covert Force" IWB Holster for my GP100 from El Paso today: http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-78-9-c-force-covert-force-holster.aspx
I also have a double speed loader holder for my moon clips from them as well. Awesome workmanship!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/DawgFvr/GP100/ElPasso.jpg

I normally use OWB holsters...love my #9 FIST...but thought I'd keep an open mind and try one of these high speed IWB things that everyone seems to be using. This is going to take some getting used to...that and a little breaking in methinks. I'll take a walk-about in the woods this weekend with this item and give a "hands on" report next week.

If you enjoyed reading about "El Paso IWB Holster for GP100 3"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DawgFvr
November 26, 2007, 12:01 AM
It took me awhile to get used to an IWB holster...but after carrying it, I've come to the conclusion that this little holster is pretty comfortable after all. I normally will carry it with a cardigan full zip sweater (I still like the vest) ...and despite the picture, I like an undershirt in order to keep the metal off the skin. It rides well and the "rough out" leather on the outside holds the holster very well when drawing. I can see why many like IWB as the belt holds the weapon quite close and firm into your side...feels very secure. I really like El Paso. The neat thing is that the snap can be replaced if I want to wear this with larger width belts.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/DawgFvr/GP100/ElPaso1.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/DawgFvr/GP100/ElPaso2.jpg

callgood
November 27, 2007, 05:06 PM
Interesting. I have a 4" GP100. Not sure if I could IWB without getting "goosed."

Nic pics. Some questions that come to mind-

What was the waiting period?

How many inches do you add to your regular pants size?

What's with the moonclips? Did you have your cylinder face machined for them?

DawgFvr
November 27, 2007, 05:58 PM
callgood...The waiting period was 2 - 3 months as I remember...kind of typical for the larger holster outfits nowdays. Funny you should ask about pants size. I was determined not to get IWB because I hated the idea of getting the "additional" inch needed that everybody recommended to me. The above jeans are my normal 33 inch waist. After wearing them a couple of days the waist loosens up a bit and I had no problem. I did, however, purchase a couple of 34 inch waist pants just to be on the safe side. Damn pants are large all over though when you do that. I think the perfect pants would be something like Dockers with an expandable insert. As for the moon clips...I wanted to have quick reloads for my GP100 so I sent the whole weapon off to Marc at Gemini Customs. He performs magic! The only stock thing on this revolver is the front sight ( I point-shoot and saw no reason to change that).

callgood
November 28, 2007, 11:29 AM
Thanks, DawgFvr. (Are you a transplanted Georgian?).

Did you get their GP101 package? If so, did you get the Hydra Port and do you think it improved your GP? I'm thinking that feature would be more effective on a longer barrel. Looks like they have a "Moonclip option" for 130.00. I assume that is what you had done to yours.

I might be interested in some of the items in their package, probably not all. I assume you can pick and choose. Looks like you had your hammer bobbed. I'm not sure I would do that for mine.

DawgFvr
November 28, 2007, 11:41 AM
callgood: I am going to post this older link which should answer pretty much all your questions:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=3670093&postcount=1

The Hydra Port works flawlessly on the 3 inch barrel...bottom line: My goal for a defensive carry was to meet Old Fluff's 5-5-5 test: Fire five rounds in five seconds at five yards and keep the impacting rounds within 5 inches of POA. I require DAO on all my self-defense weapons whether they be revovlers or autos and the hammer just impedes a quick draw.

callgood
November 29, 2007, 12:39 PM
Great post! I will look into the package after the first of the year.

Moving the target from 9-10 yards to 25 was a very humbling experience for me with hot 158 grain LSWCs.:(

Redhawk 44
December 1, 2007, 05:22 PM
Nice looking set up. I've worn the Milt Sparks corresponding model for many years. Once you are used to the weapon in close and almost personal it becomes the preferred carry for many. I like the fact that you don't have to worry about exposing the bbl with the IWB carry.

Brian Williams
December 1, 2007, 07:05 PM
The only stock thing on this revolver is the front sight ( I point-shoot and saw no reason to change that)
So you never use the sights? What about when the distance gets a little long. I like a Gold bead, not that I have many, but that works out real good for any needed sighting. It also gives a good reference when I do point shoot.

DawgFvr
December 2, 2007, 07:34 PM
If the distance "gets a little long"...sure, I'd use the front sight...you bet. I tried hitting a target at 25 yards and managed to only hit the black three out of six times. Very sobering experience with this DAO three inch barrel. I think I'd be moving to fast seeking cover at this distance to actually hit anything if it were used in self defense. All side arms are self defense, read: last resort weapons that I will be using close up...otherwise, I'd be running like hell to retreive my rifle...get cover...or just get out of the way.

357wheelgunner
December 2, 2007, 08:24 PM
Those ruger grips make my eyse bleed...Nice holster though!

If you enjoyed reading about "El Paso IWB Holster for GP100 3"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!