Gun under the pillow?

PDA

Chris B
October 18, 2007, 03:25 AM
Who keeps a handgun under their pillow?

I saw the Lets see your HD weapons thread and a number of people indicated that they keep some sort of handgun under their pillow. I would think that this would result in the muzzle being pointed in a most unsafe direction. Is this really a good idea?

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun under the pillow?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AZ_Rebel
October 18, 2007, 07:15 AM
My 1911 sleeps on the night stand... My HD gun is an Rem 870 and it would make a large lump under my pillow!:)

tbtrout
October 18, 2007, 07:52 AM
No, that is just stupid. My opinion of course.

40SW
October 18, 2007, 08:38 AM
One word. NIGHTSTAND!!!!!!!!!!! or GUNVAULT. :)

to answer your question about the pillow:
NO, I don't take tactical advice from Soppranos episodes.
Keeping a gun under the pillow would violate more cardinal rules of safety than I would care to mention.

foghornl
October 18, 2007, 09:17 AM
Years ago, when my only gun was a 7-1/2" barrel .44Mag Super Blackhawk, I USED to keep it under the pillow.

Woke up one mornming, got up, morning routine, etc. Moved pillow to make up the bed, and there was my SBH. . . . . COCKED! :what::eek::what::eek: doesn't begin to describe what I felt right then.

1 old 0311
October 18, 2007, 09:21 AM
No Way!

M2 Carbine
October 18, 2007, 09:24 AM
No, if for no other reason I don't want oil soaking into the pillow and sheets.

NCHornet
October 18, 2007, 12:02 PM
I am sorry I see no reason for a gun under the pillow. I can think of no tactical reason for it to be better under a pillow than 1 foot away on a nightstand or dresser. Just my .02 of course.

dhoomonyou
October 18, 2007, 12:06 PM
NO.

Only in HollyWeird.

frankcostanza
October 18, 2007, 12:06 PM
no way. nightstand

Anna's Dad
October 18, 2007, 12:07 PM
Sometimes I like to spoon with my Ruger, but never under the pillow. :eek::rolleyes::evil:

OK, actually I keep it in a GunVault in my night stand (it's got open sides so I can access it easily).

wdlsguy
October 18, 2007, 12:10 PM
Under the pillow? No way. Any handgun within arms's reach of where I'm sleeping has an empty chamber and magazine well.

Kimber1911_06238
October 18, 2007, 12:13 PM
no I don't...i'd prolly shoot myself in the head while thrashing around

obxned
October 18, 2007, 12:21 PM
I can only think of one place more stupid to stick that gun.

ArchAngelCD
October 18, 2007, 12:26 PM
Not A Chance!!

The Bushmaster
October 18, 2007, 12:45 PM
What?? My name? Bond, James Bond...ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! That idea originated in hollywood...A most dangerous practice as your natural tendacy is to grip the gun, even in your sleep just like Foghornl found out...ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

Nomad101bc
October 18, 2007, 12:52 PM
You could keep it under you pillow were it a semi auto and you kept the magazine out off it. Then there is no safety risk and you can just lock and load in 3 seconds.

hso
October 18, 2007, 01:02 PM
With luck people who do this will realize they're putting their lives at risk by modeling their behavior after movies and TV characters and get a secure way to keep a gun at hand before they're taken out of the gene pool by their own stupidity.

FieroCDSP
October 18, 2007, 01:10 PM
I think I remember someone posting that they used to sleep with a 1911 on an empty chamber under their pillow until they woke up one morning to discover the gun chambered, cocked and unlocked. :eek: Stupid way to die, IMO. When I sleep with mine, it's in a holster on the nightstand.

sm
October 18, 2007, 01:32 PM
Aw hell!

*ring-ring*
Hello Acme Bed Linens ,
I changed my mind about you folks making Tactical Pillows Covers with holsters built in.
Let me get back to you on that idea about Tactical Dust Ruffles that a Tactical Long Gun fits in.

*click*

springmom
October 18, 2007, 02:05 PM
My ex-father in law used to do this. It was a revolver, no idea what kind. But he was something of a doofus anyway. He did end up pulling the gun on my ex mother in law once when she walked into his bedroom (he snored...no, he sawed logs with a dull knife) and startled him. :banghead:

Mine sits on my bedside table with my flashlight.

Springmom

Viking6
October 18, 2007, 02:18 PM
no way! Nightstand

magnolia
October 18, 2007, 02:25 PM
I do keep my 9mm between the mattresses, unloaded, cocked with a loaded magazine. I do keep a shotgun beside the bed unloaded with a shotshell nearby, a loaded 22 in the nightstand, a loaded 380 in the office desk drawer and other firearms in various places around the house.
Of course, I have to collect them all and put them up when the grandkids come over for a visit.

highfive
October 18, 2007, 02:26 PM
Gunvault....nice and safe

Harley Quinn
October 18, 2007, 02:40 PM
That has to be uncomfortable I'd think:eek:

But next to you, is where I believe it should be also.

;)

jefnvk
October 18, 2007, 02:49 PM
Desk drawer, accessible from bed.

I've woken up with pillows across the room. Can't imagine where a gun would end up.

nezumi
October 18, 2007, 02:54 PM
I think I remember someone posting that they used to sleep with a 1911 on an empty chamber under their pillow until they woke up one morning to discover the gun chambered, cocked and unlocked. Stupid way to die, IMO. When I sleep with mine, it's in a holster on the nightstand.

You must have one of those evil guns that run out and shoot people all on their own!!! You might want to consider putting more rules on it, a curfew and stuff, before it gets involved with drugs and violent crime.

Seancass
October 18, 2007, 03:09 PM
i keep my single action revolver on my side in its holster where it belongs.

i also sleep with a cowboy hat and boots on.

Marlin 45 carbine
October 18, 2007, 03:12 PM
my Makarov is velcroed to the bedpost. loaded and locked. in the light of nitelight.

Ghost Walker
October 18, 2007, 03:26 PM
:) I do. There's been one there for the past 12 years. (Ain't shot nobody yet!) Personal safety depends on the type of handgun and which of Cooper's 3 conditions it's kept in.

While nobody's mentioned it - except the guy who JUST POSTED above me - you can wedge or, 'sticky Velcro' (available at Radio Shack) a holster between the wall and the mattress behind the pillow that will keep the pistol readily available while at the same time pointing the muzzle at the floor.

The guy who lives across the street from me was recently shot 5 times while sitting in his dining room at 1:30am. (Bet he wishes he'd had a pistol handy, huh!) At another time, on another planet, I probably wouldn't behave like this; but, it's not the 1950's; and this is planet Earth. ;)

PS: If you're some sort of sleepwalker who does crazy things at night without any conscious control, then, I don't know what to tell you?

Maybe you should lock all your guns in a vault, wrap the vault with chains and a padlock, and give the key to your wife. :p

mekender
October 18, 2007, 03:31 PM
http://www.the-backup.com/buy/commercial.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsV50T5uEyw

now this is an idea

Ala Dan
October 18, 2007, 03:50 PM
I use to keep my SIG-SAUER .45 caliber P220A beneath the pillow; but I dont
anymore. Reason? Got new bed, box springs, and mattress; and like my friend
M2 Carbine, I don't want lubrication leaking onto the mattress cover and pillow
cases~! :cool:;)

Gustav
October 18, 2007, 04:02 PM
:uhoh: :eek: :what: Bang OOOPS!

Good way to lose more than sleep and not worth any of the risks.

What happens if you do not secure it or forget to even just one time and that one time someone gets a hold of it say a neighbors kid and he brings it to school or plays Wild Bill Hickock with his buddies or as can happen what if the worst happens and a ND occurs when you are partially awake?

Some people fidget with things while sleeping or even sleep walk.

An unsecured firearm is an opportunity for misuse theft and accidents that are preventable.

Most street guns were stolen from smash and grab burglaries.:banghead:

Safety first, allot of better options than loose under a pillow such as a holster or handgun vault attached in or under the bed or headboard.

A floating or loose weapon is an accident waiting for an opportunity.:cuss:

Better to layer your security start with outdoor motion sensing lights secure and lock all door and windows a good alarm helps as do dogs that are alert and bark a bedroom door lock or locks a cell phone pepper spray and house keys handy (toss keys out window to LEO upon arrival & stay secured in bedroom until the good guys have swept your house for the intruder) and a secure firearm close at hand but not where it can easily become a liability or worse.

Lethal force is the last option and the last thing I ever would want to do I would not want to be looking for my defensive handgun that may have been pushed bumped or moved to some distant part of the bedding or framework the one time I need it the most at 2:00 AM when the homeboy shopping crew is breaking into my living room.

Better to have one secure spot to find it each and every time the same place and either have it with you or secure it under lock and key when apart from it.

Geronimo45
October 18, 2007, 04:04 PM
That idea originated in hollywood
I doubt that. I've heard that Audie Murphy (war hero before he got to Hollywood) kept a gun under his pillow. It's a nice method to have the gun very close by if somebody manages to get in there with you before you're aware of it.

I've tried it with various methods - (always C&L, empty chamber) stuck in the pillowcase seemed to work best. If I left it under the pillow, I'd find the pillow halfway across the room and my head lying on the gun, or the gun was slung off the bed somewhere. Never disengaged the safety, certainly never chambered a round. Nice and loud when it went bouncing between the wall and bed on the way to the floor. No gunshot, just racket.

Discontinued it 'cause of discomfort. I prefer sticking it between the mattress and bed frame. It's still vertical that way, and it doesn't get moved. Allows a draw without major contortions. Also doesn't bounce down the wall, scraping up the plaster. :p

it's in a holster
Hope it's kydex... I hear that long-term storage in leather can mangle the finish of your gun.

ZeSpectre
October 18, 2007, 04:27 PM
Not me, for sure!

I have a small gunvault mounted nearby. Gun goes in but vault stays open at night. In the morning/while I'm away the vault gets locked (can't carry at work :cuss:)

CWL
October 18, 2007, 04:50 PM
I recall documented cases of people shooting themselves with guns kept under pillows, just googled "shot with gun under pillow" and found these 2 right away. I know there have been fatalities as well.

July 1, 2007
In a truly odd story, a Florida man is currently recovering a head-shot he didn't even know had happened.
The ABC (among others) is covering a story where it appears the man woke up in the middle of the night with a head ache so bad, he thought perhaps he was having an aneurism. He asked his wife to drive him to the hospital, where medical staff immediately gave the correct diagnosis; "it appears that you've been shot".
Police have since arrested his wife on firearms related charges after finding a gun and blood soaked rags hidden in the house. It appears she is so paranoid, she sleeps with a loaded gun under her pillow, which she fired when the burglar alarm sounded at 4am.
Given that she is a convicted felon (drug trafficing) and not allowed to own a gun, she attempted to hide the evidence from authorities.

June 13, 2007
Officer Shot by Gun Kept Under Pillow
A police officer was shot in the wrist when the service weapon that she kept under her pillow went off. Albany police Sgt. Kinshishi Adams, 34, was lying in bed Sunday when a .40 caliber pistol she kept under her pillow discharged and struck her in her left wrist, Dougherty County Police Chief Don Cheek said.
note: it was later revealed that she admitted dreaming about firing her gun and actually grabbed & pulled the trigger.

KINGMAX
October 18, 2007, 04:51 PM
Not a good idea for alot of reasons.

Dr.Rob
October 18, 2007, 04:52 PM
I was guilty of it.. FEG .380 loaded but de-cocked in its military flap holster. Not fun to wake up with a crick in the neck from sleeping on it. Can move around while you roll over in your sleep. never worried about an AD with it in that state... bad idea to store a gun in a leather holster for long periods, though mine never rusted.

SammyIamToday
October 18, 2007, 05:10 PM
It's on the nightstand for me. I move around a lot while sleeping. Something bad would inevitably happen.

seeker_two
October 18, 2007, 05:11 PM
Gun under the pillow?

Depends.....how badly do you need your sinuses cleared?.... :uhoh:

i keep my single action revolver on my side in its holster where it belongs.

i also sleep with a cowboy hat and boots on.

...and nothing else? :what:

JAB
October 18, 2007, 05:23 PM
No under the pillow for me. I keep my boxspring/frame flush against the wall, and my matress down a couple inches. I have my gun in holster-not chambered with barrel pointing toward the floor. Its safe, and I sleep on my stomach so the gun is set up so my strong hand can grab it naturally and immediately. I also velcro the holster to the side of matress so when I pull gun holster stays put. I can be cocked and ready in seconds but it has to be intentional. I used to have a padle holster set up on the side of the bed, attached to the frame, but I like my new way better, its more natural to grab, and if for whatever reason if someone snuck up on me sleeping, they cant see the gun, as before they could have.

denfoote
October 18, 2007, 05:56 PM
Yeah, so what??
I've done so for the past 15 years or so!!!
Having it there was instrumental in stopping an attempted home invasion about 11 years ago!!!

biggiesmalls
October 18, 2007, 07:35 PM
under one scenario i can see having a pistol under the pillow. if you sleep in a loft bed and don't have a night stand that high, and you can't put anything on your walls. in which case yea. go ahead and put something under the pillow, maybe something that's single action only and with an external hammer, uncocked. and if it has a safety that will engage while the hammer is down, use it. and maybe a towel under your pillow so oil doesn't seep onto your sheets and mattress. i knew somebody like that. but i'd say chris's biggest problem wasn't safety. it was moving out of his mom's basement with brick walls all around after celebrating his 32nd birthday :)

Hoppy590
October 18, 2007, 08:40 PM
i sleep walk at times, so no. i dont risk it. iv only recently started keeping one in my night stand when im home. started with 2 weeks of empty gun empty mag nearby to make sure i dont try to load.

sholling
October 18, 2007, 08:42 PM
I've had one in my bed for most of the last 20 years or so. I live alone and I don't toss and turn or sleep walk and it's pretty hard to chamber a round in a 1911 in your sleep. For those that don't sleep so well I'll respect your decision but I've had to back two somebodies out of my home once in my life and I'm not going to spend 10-15 seconds fumbling around looking for a weapon. On the other hand I do put it in the night stand when I have company, and have also done so when not living alone.

Harley Quinn
October 18, 2007, 11:21 PM
I know a guy who jokes about it in bed with him and when it is warm he knows it is close enough and when he wakes up because it gets cold he then holds it close and warms it up again:what:
:cool:

GunNut
October 18, 2007, 11:32 PM
Have I slept with a gun under one of my pillows? Yes.

Do I make a normal thing out of it? No

My night stand holds my gun much better.

goon
October 18, 2007, 11:51 PM
I read once about a woman who grabbed a .38 out from under a pillow during the night when she had an asthma attack. Somehow she got it confused with her inhaler.
It's a terrible thing to think about happening to anyone.
I also don't want to repeat that.
But I could see screwing a kydex holster or something to the bed frame somewhere that it would be in reach quickly but far enough away that you couldn't get to it unintentionally.

CU74
October 19, 2007, 12:24 AM
No pillow-gun for me. I toss and turn and move my pillow around in the night. My Smith is on the lower shelf of the bedside table, right by my hand if I roll out of bed. I want my bedside gun to be in the same place and in the same orientation ALL the time - can't have that if it's under a pillow.

Autolycus
October 19, 2007, 12:34 AM
I keep a Sig 228 on the nightstand next to my alarm clock. I also put it on the corner of the bed at times when I am reading.

doc2rn
October 19, 2007, 12:43 AM
I used to for a couple of months after getting out of the service, now it is in the night stand. I want one of those pistol flashlight combos that slide in between boxspring and matress.

jds327
October 19, 2007, 01:45 AM
Nope, Not under the pillow I do however Keep my Ruger sp101 in the nightstand

sholling
October 19, 2007, 02:43 AM
Does anybody remember 20 years back? When the "nightstalker (http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/notorious/ramirez/satan_2.html)" terrorized California? A few couples awoke to find him with a gun (a .22 handgun if I remember correctly) pointing at them or awoke to a violent attack in progress. The point is several awoke (if the lived that long) after their attacker was already standing next to their bed.
Two weeks later on May 30, Ruth Wilson, 41, was awakened in the middle of the night by a flashlight shining in her face.
I don't mean to sound like I'm grandstanding but using the night stalker as an example. But that's why I won't leave a weapon sitting on my nightstand. I don't want to wake up to some animal or gang banger or thief holding my weapon to my head.

tinygnat219
October 19, 2007, 09:39 AM
None.

I own no firearms (page down)

That are held in my hands while sleeping.
I have others nearby for Self Defense.

SammyIamToday
October 19, 2007, 10:04 AM
"I don't mean to sound like I'm grandstanding but using the night stalker as an example. But that's why I won't leave a weapon sitting on my nightstand. I don't want to wake up to some animal or gang banger or thief holding my weapon to my head."

An attacker might get into my house without waking me up, but I really doubt he won't wake up my dog. He (my dog) goes nuts when people walk up the sidewalk in front of the house, let alone someone coming to the door.

Maybe that's not an answer for everyone, but I think it will do in my situation.

wdlsguy
October 19, 2007, 11:32 AM
I don't want to wake up to some animal or gang banger or thief holding my weapon to my head.
That's where locks, security systems and watch dogs come in.

koja48
October 19, 2007, 12:31 PM
One within reach of either hand, but not readily visible nor under my pillow. Light-sleeping Lab at foot of bed & tac light next to pillow. I sleep alone, sleep lightly, & rarely move about during the night.

Guitargod1985
October 21, 2007, 01:18 AM
Well, in spite of everything everyone else said, I DO keep a semiauto under my pillow. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with it as long as the chamber is empty.

I think the possibility of racking the slide and disengaging a safety in your sleep isn't even as good as the odds of being struck by lightning while being bitten by a shark.

Novus Collectus
October 21, 2007, 01:52 AM
Years ago, when my only gun was a 7-1/2" barrel .44Mag Super Blackhawk, I USED to keep it under the pillow.

Woke up one mornming, got up, morning routine, etc. Moved pillow to make up the bed, and there was my SBH. . . . . COCKED! doesn't begin to describe what I felt right then.
Maybe if you had a hammerless......

I don't keep one under my pillow because I have a water bed and I am afraid of punturing it with a part.
Also, there is only room for one gun in my bed. :D

To the thread question, I have a cheap gun safe next to my bed that I leave open when I am in bed aside it (I have no kids that can walk into my room when I am asleep and handle it without me knowing so leaving it open is not a problem). So I don't even have a reason to keep one under the pillow.
I can see some situation where I might keep a somewhat suitable handgun (like a hammerless with grip and or trigger safeties) under my pillow, but as others keep pointing out it is a bad idea. There would have to be a damn good reason in some situation to take that risk. Maybe if I was not in my house and I was sleeping around questionable characters and I had no other safe place to keep it handy.

Trempel
October 21, 2007, 10:44 AM
Normally no. It's secured and accessible when I'm asleep. I have done it on occasion when a lockbox or a nightstand wasn't available, like camping or being in a hotel. I keep the pistol with an empty chamber for this, even if the gun is still holstered.

KevininPa
October 21, 2007, 10:45 AM
Sounds like a good way to get a bad headache. Mine's in the nightstand. The dog will let me know if I need one.

The Annoyed Man
October 21, 2007, 04:44 PM
I agree... under the pillow is just stupid. But, it does remind me of my old next door neighbor back in California. By old, mean literally "old." You have to picture in your head an 84 year old black woman who didn't weigh 84 pounds soaking wet at the time, and she and I were talking about a woman across the street who had had an attempted break in of her house the night before. My neighbor said, "I feel bad for the man who breaks into my house. Gettin' in is the easy part. Gettin' back out is a lot harder." I asked her what she meant, and she told me that she kept a .22 pistol under her pillow and that she, "bah gawd knowed howtah yoozit, too!" I imagine that she did.

I laughed my ass off. She was a great neighbor.

The Annoyed Man
October 21, 2007, 04:49 PM
Sounds like a good way to get a bad headache. Mine's in the nightstand. The dog will let me know if I need one.Yep. That's an old burglar bone she's got in the picture.

:D

http://www.annoyedman.com/images/fampics/jenny.jpg

koja48
October 21, 2007, 05:30 PM
A personal comfort-level/safety-type choice, but when mine (or my Son's) are out, they are also loaded . . . we won't assume that if an event were to occur we would have time to rack-in a round, but I don't have small children in the house, either.

bensdad
October 21, 2007, 05:38 PM
When I'm in bed, I carry IWB. Tactical Fruit-o-the-Looms.:eek:

Koos Custodiet
October 21, 2007, 06:12 PM
On the ground, next to the bed.

Erm, Novus, a hammerless (spurless) Blackhawk is sort of... useless :-)

Seancass
October 21, 2007, 06:32 PM
^^^^haha, i didnt think of that till i read your post:)

MachIVshooter
October 21, 2007, 07:26 PM
Don't keep one under the pillow.

Worried about the direction of the muzzle? Nope.

Worried about it discharging in my sleep? Nope.

Worried about knocking said gun off the bed and onto the floor, resulting in an incredibly rude awakening as it smacks the hardwood floor (and damages the floor itself)? You bet!

EricTheBarbarian
October 21, 2007, 08:01 PM
I keep one under the pillow in a holster. it lays flat and I never notice it or get a bad nights sleep. The main reason I keep it under the pillow is I am a sound sleeper, and I dont like the thought of someone picking it up off my nightstand and using it against me if something happens.

Im283
October 21, 2007, 08:16 PM
Not under a pillow on the bed but on the nightstand with a magazine laying over it.

I want it nearby but not in obvious view.

Green Lantern
October 21, 2007, 08:26 PM
Nopers! Nightstand, in a holster.

Buckwacker
October 21, 2007, 08:37 PM
Mine is safe in the safe.

Surefire
October 21, 2007, 08:39 PM
Locked gunvault...

IMO, the nightstand isn't a tactical option. BG breaks in, and has EASY access to a loaded gun while one sleeps. I would NEVER keep a gun on the nightstand.

bakert
October 21, 2007, 08:56 PM
[Quote >I keep one under the pillow in a holster. it lays flat and I never notice it or get a bad nights sleep. The main reason I keep it under the pillow is I am a sound sleeper, and I dont like the thought of someone picking it up off my nightstand and using it against me if something happens.< Quote]

I've been doing the same thing for a lot of years, usually a Ruger auto or S&W revolver in a nylon holster with absolutely no problems. I read about oil leaking and wonder. I keep my guns lubed but damn, how much oil do some of these people use on their guns.:p

oldcop1971
October 22, 2007, 12:17 AM
no one has mentioned the greatest danger of keeping a gun under the pillow!

Drool causing major rust problems:what::D

oc71

nwilliams
October 22, 2007, 12:34 AM
Never!

The whole notion of keeping a gun under the pillow just scares the hell out of me. I've never even entertained the idea of doing so and I never will.

BobMcG
October 22, 2007, 12:44 AM
I duct tape mine to my forehead before going to bed.

OK, OK, I'll be serious... No.

Hokkmike
October 22, 2007, 10:40 AM
I toss/turn and move around too much. Might grab it and give it an affectionate squeeze!

The Bushmaster
October 22, 2007, 11:05 AM
Oh...So...Hokkmike...You fondle your guns too...:D

AirForceShooter
October 22, 2007, 11:06 AM
I was paranoid enough to do it for 4 years.
It never went off.

AFS

pete f
October 22, 2007, 02:20 PM
I have slept with a 1911 cocked and locked in a holster under the pillow for 26 years. never had a problem, never had an issue. wife does the same with her Commander under her pillow. The only time we move them is none of your darned business....

Wife had a guy break into her apt one night and she woke up with him pulling on it while standing next to her bed. I was living in a dorm when some guy broke in, he had a knife, all i had was a hammer. I resolved that would never happen again.

Leaving a gun on the nightstand is to me leaving a sign out for burglar, "in case of emergency, please use me to shoot homeowner"

AndyC
October 22, 2007, 06:21 PM
There are better ways to lube your sheets, y'know... ;)

CoRoMo
October 22, 2007, 08:01 PM
My .357 is close by, but not on or in the bed. 9mm and shotgun under the bed.

Jeff F
October 22, 2007, 08:14 PM
I've hidden a side arm out of sight under a pillow but never slept on one. All of my HD or carry side arms live in holsters.

mainebear
October 22, 2007, 08:35 PM
No No! As clumsy as I am I'd either shoot the missus or the cat. On the nightstand. (the gun, not the missus or the cat.)

Green Lantern
October 23, 2007, 08:53 PM
IMO, the nightstand isn't a tactical option. BG breaks in, and has EASY access to a loaded gun while one sleeps. I would NEVER keep a gun on the nightstand.

Leaving a gun on the nightstand is to me leaving a sign out for burglar, "in case of emergency, please use me to shoot homeowner"

If the bad guy is able to get inside your bedroom and to your nightstand without waking you....then I figure at that point you're already too far "behind the curve" to have much hope! :eek:

I still recall how when we had to fire up the monitor heater during a cold spell for the first time this year...apparently one of the "noises" it makes as it gets used to being used again sounds a WHOLE LOT like a slide being racked. From the living room, it woke me WIDE awake out of a deep sleep!

Of course, rather than hope I function like that all the time, I rely on a four-legged intruder detector and wouldn't rule out getting an electronic one too to be on the safe side.

'Course, no need to ADVERTISE the gun needlessly. To put it mildly, I'm a bit of a slob, and it's all too easy to find a magazine or something (the reading kind, not the shooting kind ;) ) to cover the gun on the nightstand and not look at all out-of-place....!

LoneCoon
October 23, 2007, 11:59 PM
No, I keep the HD shotgun under the bed loaded, safety on, no shell in the chamber.

My pillows are terrible, and the .357 would make for a poor night's sleep.

.45&TKD
October 24, 2007, 12:32 AM
So none of you guys keep one between the mattress and box spring?

I think a 1911 cocked and locked in a holster between the mattress and box spring (at the top corner) is as safe and accessible as you can get.

Okiecruffler
August 26, 2008, 02:39 PM
Kinda coins a phrase, "don't bring a gun to a pillow fight."

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun under the pillow?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!