how much muzzle blast is too much?

PDA

SpeedAKL
October 18, 2007, 06:34 PM
I put this in the general gun section because it applies to all firearms, though I hear rifles mentioned the most.

Let's face it guns are loud. Some guns are extremely loud. We all do (or at least should) wear hearing protection at the range. Assuming that you are adequately protected, do you still get irritated by huge muzzle blast, either when you fire a weapon or when someone nearby discharges one? What calibers do you find generate a little too much BOOM for sustained shooting?

I do lots of my shooting on an AR-15 rifle. It is a carbine-length gun with a flash suppressor/muzzle brake. It's a sweet-shooting rifle obviously, but the thing is pretty darned loud, particularly if you happen to be standing beside it. Sometimes I feel bad when I am near some guy teaching his kid to shoot on a .22LR at the range and I start setting the AR off. People have commented to me about the noise before, though they never have told me to stop shooting. The Mosin M44 is another one that has bigtime noise and concussion blast.

This concern obviously amplifies somewhat with hunting or competitive shooting, too; a flinch in anticipation of muzzle blast can send a bullet astray.

If you enjoyed reading about "how much muzzle blast is too much?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Red Dragon
October 18, 2007, 06:37 PM
If you need to regrow your eyebrows after every time you go shooting, the muzzle blast may be a little too much :D

Pat Cannon
October 18, 2007, 07:00 PM
Personally I like full .357 loads in my 2.25" Ruger SP101 because I know I'll feel better if, in an emergency, I'm not the only person who poops their pants.

Hypnogator
October 18, 2007, 07:03 PM
If you want a quick definition of too much muzzle blast, stand next to a guy using a Cutts Compensator on the trap range!

ieszu
October 18, 2007, 07:10 PM
I have a .338 Lapua with a muzzle brake... with full reloads it knocks boxes of ammo off the table... from 2 benches away!

First time I fired it I was at an outdoor range in Western PA and it set my car alarm off......

I did have a female acquaintance shoot it, she claimed just pulling the trigger gave her mini-O's.... :evil:

Oh, and it is 19.5 lbs unloaded.... with the brake on it kicks like a .223

Poprivit
October 18, 2007, 07:31 PM
September 1995, Okavango Delta, Botswana...

When putting the last (6-yard) shot into a Cape Buffalo with my .416 Remington Magnum fitted with a muzzle brake, I saw out of the corner of my eye my PH as he backed up three steps and put his fingers in both ears (.470 double rifle on his shoulder).

Kind of an awkward position for him to be in if the buf decided to charge!

I guess the rifle was a tad loud.:D

Ohio Rifleman
October 18, 2007, 07:43 PM
I love my M44, muzzle blast and all. The recoil reminds you you're shooting a GUN! I thought about buying a recoil pad or something for it, but I never bothered. I'm a recoil junkie, what can I say?

Even with muffs once, my ears rang after shooting my M44. Love it! :D

JesseL
October 18, 2007, 07:54 PM
If you have to remember to use the restroom before firing your gun to avoid soiling yourself, it may have too much muzzle blast.:neener:

RecoilRob
October 18, 2007, 08:01 PM
I've told people about the AR-50's concussion, but they had to experience it to get the full picture. Seriously thumps you if you are in the wrong place when someone fires it.

Second place goes to the PLR-16 KelTec fitted with the factory muzzle brake. I need plugs and muffs to shoot it without making my head ring.

Gustav
October 18, 2007, 08:15 PM
Too much muzzle blast that all depends on ones tastes and preferences and circumstances its not always a bad thing as I once found out.:D

A short barreled .30-06 or 7.62x54R can clear away people from couple of feet on either side of you as can a 4" hot loaded .44 Magnum a .480 Ruger Alaskan or a .45-70 Thompson Contender with a hot load.:evil:

As long as you don't get the "look mom I got no eyebrows left award" and announce to all around who may be bothered before you discharge its only what you are willing to endure.

On one occasion while me and a few buddies were shooting on a range on BLM land a couple of 100% goobers came up and started doing allot of unsafe things with a pistol gripped Mossberg shotgun and a Taurus 99 9mm Beretta clone.

After not listening to the advice we offered them a couple times about safety and backstops and not shooting or handling weapons when people were downrange my buddies and I all decided to uncase and fire our rifles at the same time come the next firing session.
We had 2 Tanker Garand's in .30-06 an FR 8 .308 Mauser and a Mini 14 with a 30 round mag.
When the firing ended we looked over and they were packing up to leave after which we went back to practice and plinking with our .22s:evil:

Big Boomer
October 18, 2007, 08:28 PM
I've posted this before, but the blast from my 460 mag is horrendous!

It blows apart my reload boxes on the table. Blew up a cheesburger than I had taken and left on the table, it ended up all over the top of my head.

I couldn't at first figure it out what was causing it because the muzzle was way past where stuff was breaking. So to test my theory I set a water bottle about 5" from the cylinder gap, low and behold it blew the water bottle up, decapitated it, and soaked me and the two guys standing on either side of me :eek:

I once read a story about a guy that accidentally put his hand under the cylinder gap while firing and blew a hole threw his hand.

What can I say...I LOVE IT!

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l84/forestpriest/Fireball460SWMagnum2.jpg

My 460

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l84/forestpriest/Fireball460SWMagnum8.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l84/forestpriest/Fireball460SWMagnum6.jpg

SpeedAKL
October 18, 2007, 09:25 PM
FREAKING AWESOME!:evil:

FieroCDSP
October 18, 2007, 09:33 PM
HA HA HA HA HA.....no really, what were we talking about? Too much blast? Can't happen, doesn't exist. These are GUNS, for Bob's sake, not McDonalds straws. If there's no boom that reminds you this isn't a pellet gun, you've got something wrong. :D

obxned
October 18, 2007, 09:38 PM
If it is really, really bad on your side, think what the other guy is receiving.

.cheese.
October 18, 2007, 09:39 PM
if you need to buy a new toupee after each range visit..... too much muzzle blast.

The Annoyed Man
October 18, 2007, 09:59 PM
It's not quite as bad as Big Boomer's .460 Mag, but my .44 Mag Model 29 (5" barrel) shoots sheets of fire out the sides from the cylinder gap... ...not to mention a wonderful fireball out the muzzle. The violence of the discharge usually gets people on either side of me for several lanes to stop what they're doing and look over to see what the hell it is. I don't know if it is objectively louder than any of my .308 rifles, but it certainly feels and sounds subjectly louder.

I love it.

stevemis
October 18, 2007, 10:58 PM
If your target gets set on fire, too much muzzle blast..

Bazooka Joe71
October 18, 2007, 11:01 PM

Can't happen, doesn't exist

Beat me to it.:D

Flak_Jakett
October 18, 2007, 11:50 PM
If Al Gore mentions your name in his next global warming video... too much muzzle blast.

Novus Collectus
October 18, 2007, 11:52 PM
how much muzzle blast is too much? When you lose your eyebrows.

Geno
October 18, 2007, 11:53 PM
Worst I have experienced is an Encore, 15" pistol in .270 Win with a muzzle break. It clears the tables of any and all surrounding shooters.

Thernlund
October 19, 2007, 02:55 AM
Never have too much. Muzzle blast is a great crime deterrent.

-T.

76shuvlinoff
October 19, 2007, 07:33 AM
I can't stand my 3.5" Springfield Ultracompact compensated .45 without muffs. It's not the boom, booms don't bother me but it's more like hot icepicks being jabbed into the ears. 95% of the time I use muffs but when I don't my full size .45 is fine as are my .40, 9mm and .22s. This little compensated pistol needs a good home.

foghornl
October 19, 2007, 09:28 AM
I once made a guy shooting a .300Win Mag leave...he said my M-44 "Noisy Magnet" was "Too **** LOUD!

U-235
October 19, 2007, 09:48 AM
If Al Gore mentions your name in his next global warming video... too much muzzle blast.

Good one Flak Jakett!

TX1911fan
October 19, 2007, 09:54 AM
I have a friend with a Barrett .50BMG. It practically shuts down the entire range because people come running to see what made teh noise. The worst place to be is at 4:30 and 7:30 behind him. The muzzle brake directs the blast right to those areas. It makes me smile every time.

Big Boomer, looks like we shoot at the same range. Eagle Peak, right?

ranger335v
October 19, 2007, 10:19 AM
If you have to shoot with your mouth closed to keep your front teeth from cracking you are bordering on too much muzzle blast.

Smurfslayer
October 19, 2007, 03:58 PM
*IS* there such a thing?:evil:

http://bighammer.net/images/Watch_the_HandofGod2.wmv

Watch the stuff on the table. Note the relative silence at the full indoor range.

I figure it will be too much when the concussion actually knocks down the lane partitions, or nearby shooters :neener:

230RN
October 19, 2007, 06:50 PM
Dup Post

230RN
October 19, 2007, 06:51 PM
On an indoor range once I had the RO come over to check on what I was shooting. Seems one of the ladies who was waiting to take her place at the lanes complained about it.

It was my Fourth of July Gun.

A little Detective Special with +Ps in it.

I always figured if I ever needed to use it at night in an SD situation, even if I missed, the muzzle flash would blind them and the concussion would knock them down, thereby affording me the opportunity to run like h3ll.

Big Boomer
March 15, 2008, 12:58 AM
ah muzzle blast is such a good thing!

Zak Smith
March 15, 2008, 01:01 AM
I've fired a lot of rifles.. worst was an 18" 50BMG with a big brake and full-power ammunition. It felt like getting punched in the face. I can shoot a 27" 338 Lapua with a brake "all day."

-z

LJH
March 15, 2008, 01:12 AM
TX1911fan,
when do you frequent Eagle Peak?

jrou111
March 15, 2008, 01:27 AM
I like the fact that my sinuses open up when I fire my 4" Taurus .44mag. :D

jakeswensonmt
March 15, 2008, 01:59 PM
There's no way I'm gonna call it "too much" because I liked it, but the blast and noise off an AR50 brake is impressive. Kicks up dust, blows hair around, you can feel the air in your lungs resonating to it.

jpsimms
March 15, 2008, 03:05 PM
don't try this,
but a friend of mine once empied the powder from a 180 grain .30-06 shell into his black powder pistol, I watched as he fired it and his ears and nose started bleeding. (no ear protection, fool)
nice big fireball

32winspl
March 15, 2008, 09:19 PM
Hey folks, It's clear to me that I'm way more MOMified than you. I have an 1895M Marlin.... you know, the 18.5" .450Marlin rifle with the 14 ports on the end of the barrel. It is STUPID-loud. It sits waay back in the rear corner of my safe. It's a deer-gettin' machine but I won't use it in the woods anymore. Last time I used it, (one convenient shot) my ears rang for 2 weeks.

Doggy Daddy
March 15, 2008, 09:36 PM
If Timothy McVeigh sends you fan mail, you may have too much muzzle blast...

Fly320s
March 15, 2008, 09:40 PM
It's not so much the muzzle blast, as the position of the muzzle.

You might recognize this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKMQy3k5dSc&feature=related

Elm Creek Smith
March 16, 2008, 01:17 AM
Years ago at Rhein-Main AFB in Germany, one day the Rod and Gun Club only had Winchester 158 grain SWC .357 Magnum ammunition. I bought a box and took my 3 inch Model 65 to the indoor range to practice. The unflash-suppressed powder provided a fireball about two feet in diameter that rolled about five feet from the muzzle. In the next lane over, a German contract dentist from the airbase was taking advantage of his access to the range to shoot his Hämmerli Sport .22 pistol. After I fired one cylinder, the dentist came over to see what I was shooting and asked that I not shoot it while he was shooting. It seems that his nice, tight one inch 25 meter groups contained some...flyers when the .357 went of next to him.

Being a good neighbor, I waited until he stepped back from the line to reload his magazines before continuing to shoot. During one of these pauses, I saw what looked like a strobe light going off at the other end of the firing line, much brighter than my orange fireballs. Seems someone brought a 10 inch Contender in .30-30 WIN. I was glad I wasn't next to him.

ECS

jakeswensonmt
March 16, 2008, 02:39 PM
After I fired one cylinder, the dentist came over to see what I was shooting and asked that I not shoot it while he was shooting.
Learning to keep still while someone uncorks something loud next to you is good training.
I'd say that guy was pretty rude, and a crybaby too. How about if he shoots while you're not shooting?

tpaw
March 16, 2008, 02:44 PM

When your target 100 yards down range has burn marks!!!!!........:what:

If you enjoyed reading about "how much muzzle blast is too much?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!