different ways of carry

PDA

strickj
October 19, 2007, 06:20 AM
newbie here
im a wheelchair user and like to carry open for quick access but belt holsters get in my way ankleholsters dont work well for a xd 9 4inch and its hard to push with a shoulder so i deal with my belt usually.anybody have any ideas or have the same problems?

If you enjoyed reading about "different ways of carry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NCHornet
October 19, 2007, 07:04 AM
First let me say "Welcome to the forum"
May I suggest you look at the "Smart Carry", it is made to be worn under your clothes but I see no reason why you couldn't wear it out either. Many holster makers, I believe Galco is one of them, make a large nylon pouch that can be used and hung from the chair or around the waist.The best solution would be to get some heavy duty velcro and velcro your favorite OWB holster to the wheelchair itself. I spent quite a few months in a wheelchair during a recovery period and this worked for me.
Good luck.

Iggy
October 19, 2007, 07:27 AM
Consider some of the holsters made for car carry and anti-hijacking.

They are open carry and attach very quickly to your belt or to the seat belt in a car.

In other words it would be right there in your lap and readily accessible.

This one comes to mind.http://http://www.activeprogear.com/Model-17-3.jpg

http://www.activeprogear.com/model17.html

Another to consider would be the one made by Horseshoe Leather but it is more expensive.

http://www.holsters.org/incar-holsters.htm

Or Andrews Leather

http://andrewsleather.com/carjackerx.htm

Papaster
October 19, 2007, 01:51 PM
are you carrying strong side or cross draw? If you haven't tried cross draw, get a holster that lets you adjust the cant, allowing you the best of accessibility and comfort while seated. While I'm not wheelchair bound, my commute in my cramped car was the most uncomfortable with strong-side carry, and switching to cross-draw really loosened things up for me.

CWL
October 19, 2007, 02:36 PM
Welcome to THR!
I believe we have a few members here who are also in wheelchairs, just wait a bit and they'll turn up with their experiences.

tegemu
October 20, 2007, 10:59 AM
Welcome to the Forum. Another very popular method of carry is pocket carry. That is in your pocket in a good pocket holster. You might look at Sam Andrews work at www.andrewsleather.com . If you give him a call he would be glad to consult with you and give you some superb advice. He sells some holsters that are ideal for wheelchair carry. The "Carjacker" and the "McDaniel II" would probably suit your purposes perfectly.

pax
October 21, 2007, 12:25 PM
strickj ~

When you say belt holsters get in the way, do you mean strong-side belt holsters get in the way? Or all belt holsters? I ask because I know a couple people in wheelchairs who carry regularly. One carries appendix position IWB, while the other carries cross-draw OWB.

If neither of those options works for you, would a fanny pack do the job? Fanny pack can be a pretty quick draw out of a pack designed for it, and comfortable too. But maybe that would be too much in your way too.

Good luck on your quest.

pax

strickj
October 22, 2007, 02:57 AM
the cross draws get in the way also.that carjacker looks like it would work perfectly for a 380 or a small 9 but I like a gun big enough to hold,and nothing comes out of a pocket easily.I think I will just wear it as a necklace lol

ArchAngelCD
October 22, 2007, 05:32 AM
strickj,
I also want to welcome you to the forum.
You have already gotten some good suggestions. The Carjacker Crossdraw looks like it might work for someone in a wheelchair. If nothing above appeals to you and since you said you open carry take a look at some of the Simply Rugged (http://www.simplyrugged.com/index.html) products. Their Chesty Puller Conversion System (http://www.simplyrugged.com/leather_goods/chesty_puller_conv.html) might be exactly what you are looking for. At only $55 it's reasonable too.

Good luck in finding what you need...

strickj
October 22, 2007, 05:04 PM
thanks the Chesty Puller is a new one for me.never seen one before.
I think ill get one just to have it if nothing else

mjrodney
October 22, 2007, 07:27 PM
A 5.11 Tactical shirt would work very well.

The front hidden pocket will hold a number of CCW type handguns.

CountGlockula
October 22, 2007, 07:53 PM
Would a belly band holster work for you? That's what comes to mind.

ArchAngelCD
October 23, 2007, 02:39 AM
thanks the Chesty Puller is a new one for me.never seen one before.
I think ill get one just to have it if nothing else
I'm glad I could help strickj. It was the first thing that came to mind when I read your post. When you said a belt holsters get in my way. I figured what better place but up front on your chest?

righteousbarbarian
October 23, 2007, 03:17 AM
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I'm especially excited to try the chest holsters and the carjack cross-draw holsters.

strickj, I also use a wheelchair and have struggled with the same issues as you are struggling with. My latest try is the smartcarry holster that NCHornet suggested. It's on its way so i'll let you know how it works out. I ordered it for a full sized sig p220, so if it can conceal that, it can conceal a lot of guns. If it doesn't work out i'll send it back for a smaller smartcarry for my S&W M&P 40 compact, but this gun is brand new and I have yet to put it through the ringer before I carry it.

on a side note, do you find that open carrying as a wheelchair user is an odd experience? it's like people's brains seem to short circuit or something. they know we're not law enforcement so they can't pass the gun off as that. also the gun conflicts with the notion of defenselessness that people normally associate with disabled folks. they seem to find it odd and fascinating, yet they try very hard to resist staring. one day i think someone's head is just going to blow up.

ArchAngelCD
October 23, 2007, 03:48 AM
one day i think someone's head is just going to blow up.
That really made me laugh for real... Someone's head blowing up is what I call really disabling for sure! I guess they won't have to worry about carrying since their sight picture will be off if their eyes are stuck against two different walls and their arms are still attached to their body!! LMAO.. I wonder if their eyes will look like this :what: just before their head explodes? :D

strickj
October 26, 2007, 01:05 PM
yes its verrry funny when people see a guy in a wheelchair getting out of a convertible and reaching down to adjust his intimidator.I guess its not something you see every day,but its weird to know that people aren't staring
at me because im a young guy in a chair that's good looking,in nice clothes,driving a convertible with a good looking girl next to me its because of the gun.people stop and talk to me about it all the time and seem to get a kick out of it.

strickj
October 26, 2007, 01:08 PM
yes its verrry funny when people see a guy in a wheelchair getting out of a convertible and reaching down to adjust his intimidator.I guess its not something you see every day,but its weird to know that people aren't staring
at me because im a young guy in a chair that's good looking,in nice clothes,driving a convertible with a good looking girl next to me its because of the gun.people stop and talk to me about it all the time and seem to get a kick out of it.

cripple
October 29, 2007, 05:17 PM
Im in a wheelchair as well. I carry my .380 strong side in a fobus paddle holster or IWB crossdraw in an uncle mikes #1. I push a tilite zra and I dont have any problems with anything getting in the way.

Ben

strickj
October 29, 2007, 05:33 PM
not to sure I want a loaded gun hanging out on my crotch with the smartcarry holster.are you happy to see me or is that a 44 magnum

strickj
October 29, 2007, 05:36 PM
cripple what part of n.ga im a chattanooa resident

scurtis_34471
October 29, 2007, 05:48 PM
CrossBreed makes an interesting holster designed to be velcoed in place inside a pack or under a desk. Depending on the chair design, you might be able to attach one to the chair beneath the arm rest. Just a thought.

Personally, I think you need to go James Bond and mount chain guns on the chair. Nothing says "Don't mess with me" like a .50 cal. Just sayin'...

cripple
October 29, 2007, 05:57 PM
I north of Atlanta...about 1 hour 45 minutes from you...:)

strickj
October 29, 2007, 05:57 PM
Personally, I think you need to go James Bond and mount chain guns on the chair. Nothing says "Don't mess with me" like a .50 cal. Just sayin'...

I love that idea!!
but there's 2 problems with doing your suggestion
1)I like to carry on me,im not always in my chair
2)an every day wheelchairs are different than those used in hospitals,they don't have armrest or any places to place one comfortable

cripple
October 29, 2007, 06:11 PM
yea I was gonna mention the armrest thing too...

eagle45
October 29, 2007, 09:02 PM
I'm not sure if this would work for you, I like it for circumstances when a belt holster is not practical:

http://www.holstersrus.com/product_info.php/cPath/315_342/products_id/1644

The picture on their web site doesn't really do it justice. It is similar to a belly band, but designed to be worn around the chest as a shoulder holster. It is basically elastic band with a velcro fastener. A dark t-shirt usually works as a cover garment. It will hold a revolver or semi-auto and has a slot for an extra magazine. I find this one is great to wear around the house when I'm loafing around in sweats. They make a left and right hand model, and also a double - one on each side. This will also work worn lower around the waist, both strong side and cross-draw or wherever it is comfortable and accessible.

They make another model that fits around the upper thigh. It works well for in-vehicle carry, but is obviously open carry.

sleeperj21
October 29, 2007, 10:01 PM
I would use a fanny pack around your waist that way you can carry extra mags as well.

arctictom
November 1, 2007, 07:06 PM
I use a fanny pack and really like it very handy . Seems like it would be handy for wheel chair carry.

LegalAlien
November 1, 2007, 07:48 PM
I use a Fanny pack for carrying my Beretta 92FS in my car. I stow it right under my legs in front of the driver's seat.

It is unobtrusive, pretty well concealed when you are in the car, and availabe by just dropping your hands between your legs.

It is also versatile in that you can strap it around your belly, like a fanny pack 'should' be carried, but I have also extended the straps and slung it cross-wise over my shoulder - like a bandolier .. lol . . . got some looks carrying it that way - it might be an unobtrusive way to carry it this way in your chair and at the same time also have it conveniently available for quick access in your car.

AND BTW - - - - my 92 FS is not your 'typical' carry gun . . . it is kinda BIG.

AND . . yes. . .enough room to carry extra mags with you as well

If you enjoyed reading about "different ways of carry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!