Ruger Blackhawk .30 carbine anyone?

PDA

theNoid
October 20, 2007, 09:40 PM
Just wondered if anyone out there shoots this gun and what they thought about it overall.

Chuck

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Blackhawk .30 carbine anyone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
enfield
October 20, 2007, 09:44 PM
Loud
Accurate
Fun!

Ed Meinel
October 20, 2007, 11:33 PM
I finally figured out how to describe the different guns to people:

Ruger Mark III 22LR -- piff! piff! piff!
Ruger Single Six 22WMR -- bang! bang! bang!
Beretta M9 9mm -- Pow! Pow! Pow!
Ruger Blackhawk 30 carbine -- BOOM! wha...?
...........................................BOOM! eep!
....................................flinchBOOM! Yowza!

Very accurate, very fun!

Ed

zxcvbob
October 20, 2007, 11:46 PM
I've got one. It's fun to shoot; especially at dusk. Wear very good hearing protection!
Bob

R.W.Dale
October 20, 2007, 11:49 PM
I owned one for a while.

LOUD
FUN
and
USELESS

I was rather surprised to find that 30 carbine performance from a handgun was rather anemic, falling somewhere in between 32 H&R and 7.62x25tok. Also with my particular example accuracy was rather lacking compared to blackhawks in more conventional camberings

Timthinker
October 21, 2007, 01:26 AM
I have always wondered why Ruger offered the .30 carbine round in their Blackhawk revolver series. I never thought the market for this particular round would have justified the initial cost of production, but I am not a marketing advisor.

Timthinker

smee781
October 21, 2007, 11:47 AM
I love mine, Its a 1979 model and is one of my favorite pistol's for some reason. I am thinking of cutting it down to a 5 1/2 barrel.:confused: Ammo is still cheap and is a great tag along to my m1 carbine.

SaxonPig
October 21, 2007, 12:04 PM
I would echo Krochus' thoughts. I had one in the 1980s and it was the loudest damn gun I ever shot. I suggest ear plus, and muffs, and then let you hair grow long to cover your ears, as well.

I lost interest in the gun when I bought a chronograph and learned that the 110 grain military surplus ammo was only clocking 1400 FPS. At the time I was experimenting with really hot .38 Special loads and got to 1405 FPS with a 110 from a 4" Model 10 so getting the same velocity from the huge Blackhawk with nearly twice the barrel length left me unimpressed.

I guess maybe if somebody gave you a ton of 30 Carbine ammo for free the Ruger would make sense. Otherwise, it's way underpowered for its size and weight and actually unpleasant to shoot due to the noise.

MCgunner
October 21, 2007, 12:07 PM
I'm not sure what .30 carbine is good for in the field, but I reckon it'd be a fun range gun. Of course, anything accurate is useful for SOMEthing. :D I'll keep my .357 though, thanks.

GRIZ22
October 21, 2007, 01:19 PM
I have always wondered why Ruger offered the .30 carbine round in their Blackhawk revolver series.

Ruger manufactured the 30 carbine Blackhawk from 1968-1973. There was plenty of surplus 30 carbine around and a market for the commercial M1 carbines (Plainfield and Universal).

They only made less than 23000 of these so I would think, although not rare, they would have some value to a collector.

I lost interest in the gun when I bought a chronograph and learned that the 110 grain military surplus ammo was only clocking 1400 FPS. At the time I was experimenting with really hot .38 Special loads and got to 1405 FPS with a 110 from a 4" Model 10 so getting the same velocity from the huge Blackhawk with nearly twice the barrel length left me unimpressed

But the Ruger 30 carbine will last a lot longer than your Model 10 running those kind of loads through it. Many of the 110 357 loads today don't get to 1400 fps in a 4".

Ala Dan
October 21, 2007, 02:18 PM
Loudest handgun report I have ever heard~! :scrutiny:;)

theNoid
October 21, 2007, 02:33 PM
Hey folks, I sure appreciate the input here. I had read the report linked below before posting I was just wondering what some real-time folks had to say about the piece and the round. I suppose the whole idea of it being an "odd" round for the pistol crowd sort of appeals to me as well. Once again, thanks for all of the input so far.

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/l/aastruger30bh.htm

Noidster

jwr_747
October 21, 2007, 05:21 PM
had the money and bought one.for me,it's just a fun gun.fun to shoot at steel plates,ballons ect.one great noise maker. jwr

Timthinker
October 21, 2007, 05:33 PM
GRIZ22, thanks for the background on the .30 Ruger Blackhawk. I did not realize that production of this gun began and ended so long ago. Your explanation answers my question.

Timthinker

theNoid
October 21, 2007, 06:47 PM
GRIZ22, thanks for the background on the .30 Ruger Blackhawk. I did not realize that production of this gun began and ended so long ago. Your explanation answers my question.

According to Ruger themselves, the Old Model Blackhawks in .30 carbine were made from 1968 to 1973. From 1974 until current production, it seems the New Model Blackhawk in .30 carbine has been available as well.

I lost interest in the gun when I bought a chronograph and learned that the 110 grain military surplus ammo was only clocking 1400 FPS. At the time I was experimenting with really hot .38 Special loads and got to 1405 FPS with a 110 from a 4" Model 10 so getting the same velocity from the huge Blackhawk with nearly twice the barrel length left me unimpressed

Check out the link I provided above as it seems that fellow has chrono'd at over 1900fps with the Ruger and certain loads.

Noidster

Timthinker
October 21, 2007, 08:14 PM
I am still at a loss to understand why Ruger still produces the .30 Blackhawk. Granted, I now understand that it was introduced at a time when .30 carbine ammo was plentiful, but I have seen very few Blackhawks, all of them used, that have been chambered for this round. No doubt, it is obvious that I am not a great fan of the .30 carbine round and this probably colors my perception of the issue.

Timthinker

Chief 101
October 21, 2007, 10:06 PM
Grizz, Ruger still makes the .30 Carbine called the New Model Blackhawk. The dates you mention refer to the Old Model, or 3 screw, Blackhawk manufacture dates.
Noid, the most accurate of revolver cartridges but earmuffs are a necessity. I've taken many a coyote and many a rockchuck with my OM 30 Carbine. Chief aka Maxx Load

SoCalShooter
October 21, 2007, 10:07 PM
Anyone got any pics?

GRIZ22
October 21, 2007, 10:43 PM
Grizz, Ruger still makes the .30 Carbine called the New Model Blackhawk. The dates you mention refer to the Old Model, or 3 screw, Blackhawk manufacture dates.

thanx Chief I wasn't aware they were still made.

zxcvbob
October 21, 2007, 11:00 PM
I got over 1700 fps with 100 grain cast bullets using WSF powder, but the brass had excessive case head expansion afterwards (the primers fell out.) I need to work up a Blue Dot load.

RCouch
October 22, 2007, 02:42 AM
Don't have one but do have a M1 and lots of ammo. I'm assuming that the ammo you're shooting is regular M1 ammo. If you hand loaded and used pistol ammo wouldn't that improve the statistics and lessen the noise? Someone please set me straight on this.

arcticap
October 22, 2007, 05:00 AM
I bought a brand new New Model Blackhawk in .30 Carbine several years ago and was very disappointed. At least one of the chambers was oversized & loose fitting, and the tapered .30 carbine case would back out of the chamber as the cylinder rotated which jammed up the action. I felt that this particular gun would be unreliable in the field and for self-defense because of it. Also, I think that a few of the fired cases were very difficult to extract.
I was shooting commercial PMC ammo that I never had a problem shooting in any other .30 carbine lever or semi-auto guns. I sold the gun at a loss because I wasn't sure whether Ruger could fix the problem satisfactorily or not.
The Taurus Raging .30 uses moon clips, and now I can understand why.
I don't believe that I would buy another one, but it had the potential to be a fun shooter.

Chief 101
October 22, 2007, 12:04 PM
If you hand loaded and used pistol ammo wouldn't that improve the statistics and lessen the noise? Someone please set me straight on this.

I handload for mine using a 90gr XTP by Hornady with a moderate amount of 2400 and that makes the noise a whole lot more tolable.

arcticap, you could have sent it back to the factory and the problems would have been solved readily and returned. Ruger has as good or better a warranty as anybody in the business. Remember that for the next time.
Chief aka Maxx Load

BlkHawk73
October 22, 2007, 06:29 PM
Got one earlier this year. From two range sessions with it:

It's loud, very loud.
It's accurate, darn accurate.

I wish I'd gotten one sooner.

arcticap
October 24, 2007, 02:22 AM
arcticap, you could have sent it back to the factory and the problems would have been solved readily and returned. Ruger has as good or better a warranty as anybody in the business. Remember that for the next time.

Thanks Chief 101, that's fair advice. Because of the different chamber sizes, and the possibility that different ammo would have yet another case size which could make the problem persist, I didn't think that the problem would be permanently solved.
If I had been a member of this forum and knew how many other .30 carbine Blackhawks worked as intended, then I probably would have let Ruger try to fix it.
But you know, it just goes to show everyone that there's going to be a lemon in every bunch. :D

Kentucky_Rifleman
November 29, 2010, 10:14 AM
I know; Necrothreadia... BUT, I found some interesting advice in this, and wanted to resurrect the thread to ask a couple of new questions.

I traded into a new model Blackhawk in .30 Carbine yesterday. I've read several articles and threads about them, and I'm intrigued. Over the past year and a half I've developed a real affection for scoped pistols, and I traded into the .30 with the idea I'd convert it to a Bisley frame and scope it, (this will be my fourth scoped handgun).

I've found some promising loads developed specifically for the Blackhawk, and I'm hoping to take advantage of them to develop my new toy into a range/varmint piece. I've read a thousand posts that describe the noise level of the .30, so I'm prepared for that. I've also read several notes about stuck cases, so I also picked up 100 rounds of Prvi Patizan (I've had good luck with reloaded PP brass in other difficult calibers).

I was hoping for any last advice/thoughts before I start down this road. I'd love to know if any of my fellow High-Roaders have attempted a similar project. I'd appreciate any load data you'd be willing to share and any advice on scoping the Blackhawk itself. My other handguns were easy to scope: a Buckmark with a factory rail, a GP100 on which I mounted a Weigand combat rail, and a Super Redhawk with factory rings.

Thanks in advance,

KR

PT1911
November 29, 2010, 10:29 AM
I have no information to offer as far as scoping and such, but I am also currently intrigued by the 30 carbine blackhawks.. there is one in my local shop that is screaming at me.. I know it does nothing more successfully than anything else, but it sure does seem like a lot of fun. I would also love to see the look on everyone's face when that first round is sent down range... BOOOOOOOOM!!!! (FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Sam1911
November 29, 2010, 10:59 AM
I've not yet scoped mine, but I think I'd like to eventually. I don't have any use for it otherwise and the front sight is way too short to make POI and POA agree at normal distances.

The noise is somewhat overstated, but it does get folks' attention.

My favorite loads are all H110 and a 110 SP or 125 gr. FP/HP. (I think Sierra makes the one I normally use.)

Kentucky_Rifleman
November 29, 2010, 03:23 PM
Another question has crossed my mind: Could I load spire point rifle bullets in the .30 Blackhawk? If I go with bullets of the same weight as some of the existing data, and kept my OAL short enough to clear the cylinder's rotation, I can't think of any reason not to try it.

Any advice?

KR

rcmodel
November 29, 2010, 03:36 PM
Yes, you can, if you can get it in the cylinder.

A 110 grain spire-point has less bearing surface then a 110 RN.

You could run into pressure problems if you have to seat the base of the bullet deeper in the case then a RN of the same weight you use data for.

But, a 110 grain spire-point is designed for about 1,000-2,000 FPS more velocity then a .30 Carbine revolver can produce, so don't expect it to perform as well as a 110 RN carbine bullet on game.

The other thing is, at typical handgun ranges, there would be no trajectory advantage in using them anyway.

rc

Blimp Captain
November 29, 2010, 03:50 PM
If it could be loaded to a short enough OAL, most spire points are designed to upset at higher "rifle" velocities. With hunting or other applications, you may get little to no expansion. Any gain in retained velocity of the spire would be negated by a lack of terminal effectiveness. Just a thought. It will obviously depend on the range you plan on using it, and on the construction of the spire your considering.

I've been wondering if 125 FNHP designed for 30-30's would give any expansion at the lower "pistol" speeds. With its wide flat nose and deep cavity it may work well. I'm thinking something in between .38 Spcl and .357 Mag performance. Akin to the new .327, which appears to be very similiar to the .30 carbine in a lot of ways.

Blimp Captain
November 29, 2010, 03:53 PM
Opps! RC was quicker on the draw and said it better.

PT1911
November 29, 2010, 03:55 PM
Opps! RC was quicker on the draw and said it better.
Dont feel bad, there could probably be 22,809 responses just like this!!!

AND 1 point for RC.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Blackhawk .30 carbine anyone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!