Price check Colt Peacekeeper .357

PDA

Dodgeit
October 21, 2007, 08:32 AM
It's ANIB but it does have some marks from shelf wear, but only on sharp edges.
So it is at least Excellent. Asking price is $649.00 is this Hi, Low? It would be strictly an investment. Place also has some police positives in odd calbers 32-20, 38 WCF??? (38-40??) Avg - Fair condition.

Thanks
Tim

If you enjoyed reading about "Price check Colt Peacekeeper .357" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
theNoid
October 21, 2007, 02:29 PM
Maybe do a search on Gunbroker and the other auction websites for them and have a look-see at what they are selling for. Not sure myself, but that is where I would start.

Noidster

Texas Colt
October 21, 2007, 03:12 PM
Tim,

I bought a 4" Colt Peacekeeper last year for $300.

Mine is in "gently used" condition with a great bore and some bluing wear on the high spots. It did not include the original box.

I give you this information to say that $649 seems too high to me. The Peacekeeper, while made in limited numbers, was designed to be a budget gun since it doesn't have the fit and finish of the Trooper or King Cobra.

Here's what mine looks like.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/redcolt/Guns/Colt%20Revolvers/PeacekeeperL1.jpg

dfariswheel
October 21, 2007, 07:18 PM
During the big Colt strike in the mid-1980's Colt didn't have enough workers qualified to do the high quality polishing on all their models.
So, Colt brought out a series of Colt revolvers with an unpolished, flat black finish.
The Colt Peacekeeper was the unpolished version of the Colt Trooper Mark V.

As soon as the strike ended, these unpolished guns were discontinued.
The total production of the Peacekeeper was limited to a couple of years, so although they are not extremely common, they aren't rare by any means.

That price is out of line even for one in better condition.

Starter52
October 21, 2007, 08:36 PM
+1 to what Dr. D and TC said. $375 for a nice one, maybe $450 LNIB, tops.

Zebraranger
October 21, 2007, 11:39 PM
Maybe a Python or like new king Cobra, would be @ $600. I even see some Pythons getting much more than that. I guess a Colts value is what someone is willing to pay for it. Thats a good buy on your PeaceKeeper Texas Colt @ $300. I found one in a shop here for 425. back in March, The wear condition looked like yours which I considered pretty good. After further inspection I noticed the front sight was bent a few degrees and had alot of cylinder slop. I passed on it. Really dont need another 357 anyway.

22-rimfire
October 21, 2007, 11:48 PM
I'd hold off and pick up a Trooper Mark III in an odd configuration (something like 8" Nickel 22WMR or Electroless finish) which should be just as collectable and probably a lot more interesting.

As has been mentioned, the price seems a tad high to me. Also you are not buying a NIB gun at that price. A Python at that price would be a steal these days.

The Lone Haranguer
October 22, 2007, 12:36 AM
IMO that is very high, but some pretty outrageous prices are being asked for some Colt revolvers these days. How about three grand for a new-condition (not even a turn line on the cylinder yet) Diamondback? :eek: Ridiculous. (And I don't have the money.;))

Originally posted by 22-rimfire:
I'd hold off and pick up a Trooper Mark III in an odd configuration (something like 8" Nickel 22WMR or Electroless finish) which should be just as collectable and probably a lot more interesting.

:what: I saw a .22 Magnum electroless nickel Trooper at a gun show today. I assumed it was an aftermarket finish. :confused: :banghead:

22-rimfire
October 22, 2007, 05:26 AM
Yes, they were made with the electroless finish. I've missed my share of Colts over the years. I remember looking at a 6" Diamondback 22 in what the dealer thought was stainless.... I was not aware of any factory offering in stainless and really had never seen an electroless gun to that point..... So I thought it was an after market finish. Well, it was one of the rare electroless Diamondbacks. I didn't buy it. SOB.

Old Fuff
October 22, 2007, 08:03 AM
I'm not sure what your dealer has, but the only hand ejector style revolver Colt ever offered in .38 WCF (.38-40) was the New Service. Perhaps what you were looking at was .38 N.P. (Colt New Police) which is the same as .38 S&W. The .32 WCF (.32-20) was available in Army Special/Official Police and Police Positive Special models. None of these was rare.

Dodgeit
October 22, 2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the replies I was really not sure on the price and decided to hold off and ask here.
When it comes to revolvers I'm a S&W fan.

If you enjoyed reading about "Price check Colt Peacekeeper .357" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!