One tough Alligator

PDA

mjrodney
October 23, 2007, 02:30 PM
Bullets Bounce Off 13-foot,
1,000 Pound Alligator

SEMINOLE COUNTY, Florida [NMT/WKMG] -- A 13-foot, 1,000-pound alligator considered to be one of the largest ever seen in Seminole County was captured after several complaints about missing pets in the area, Orlando television station WKMG-TV reported.

"He posed a threat to the public and that is why we took him," alligator trapper Jerry Flint said.

A motorist spotted the giant alligator roaming along state Road 17-92 near Lake Monroe and said it was poised to strike.

When trappers arrived to the area, they tried to take it down with bullets. Flint said two .45-caliber bullets bounced off the alligator's tough skin.

A bang stick was eventually used to kill the reptile, WKMG said.

If you enjoyed reading about "One tough Alligator" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mulliganpaintdee
October 23, 2007, 02:58 PM
woah! Bullet proof gator hide. Skin it, gut it, and fire em up. Some good eatin

Scanr
October 23, 2007, 03:03 PM
Don't forget the bullet proof boots.:D

Deer Hunter
October 23, 2007, 03:05 PM
Bullet proof handbag, maybe?

Crunker1337
October 23, 2007, 03:15 PM
.45ACP is a pretty slow and fat round. A faster more slim round, like a .357SIG or a 9mm may have worked.

This is, of course, ignoring the more obvious solution of an intermediately powered rifle.

Smurfslayer
October 23, 2007, 03:45 PM
Isn't it a felony to be wearing body armor in the commision of being a reptile? :rolleyes:

:neener:

Ghost Tracker
October 23, 2007, 03:49 PM
Isn't it a felony to be wearing body armor in the commision of being a reptile?
Reptile is slanderous, politically incorrect name calling. The correct expression is Amphibian American.

Harley Quinn
October 23, 2007, 04:23 PM
Reptile is slanderous, politically incorrect name calling. The correct expression is Amphibian American.
:D

birddog
October 23, 2007, 04:45 PM

Tracker, you made my day!

Mannlicher
October 23, 2007, 07:57 PM
Big gator. Most of the ones I have killed were much smaller, and a .22 usually did the deed.

Thek9
October 23, 2007, 08:43 PM
Poor old gator.

bakert
October 23, 2007, 08:45 PM
A motorist spotted the giant alligator roaming along state Road 17-92 near Lake Monroe and said it was poised to strike.

???? Poised to strike?? At what?

The correct expression is Amphibian American.
Today 03:45 PM
Ghost Tracker is right. Gotta be politically correct.:D

12Bravo20
October 23, 2007, 10:37 PM
There's time to be politically correct after the gator is cooked and served.:D

Gator
October 24, 2007, 01:09 AM
Poor ole Bob, I knew him well. We always warned him his appetite for cats would get him in trouble :neener:

And Gators ain't amphibians! :)

Seancass
October 24, 2007, 11:36 AM
they where probly far away and the bullets skimmed off the top of it. and dont cops normally have rifles handy?

Heavy Metal Hero
October 24, 2007, 11:47 AM
Wait...you mean they were using EXTREME SHOCK!!!! ammo?

armoredman
October 24, 2007, 11:55 AM
Ghost Tracker, thanks for the laugh!

The Bushmaster
October 24, 2007, 01:05 PM
1,000 lbs!?!!...WOW!!! Pickup seat covers...!!

REPOMAN
October 24, 2007, 02:05 PM
Hell Bakert, with him so mean the .45's were bouncing off of him....we was probably going to try and eat one of those new Toyota hybrids....:D

RevolvingCylinder
October 24, 2007, 02:30 PM
Gators of all sizes(including the large 13' ones) are typically dispatched with a .22lr. Sounds like these fools didn't know what they were doing which isn't much of a surprise. Before I lived in Florida I thought a 13' alligator was unheard of until I saw one.

When trappers arrived to the area, they tried to take it down with bullets. Flint said two .45-caliber bullets bounced off the alligator's tough skin.

A bang stick was eventually used to kill the reptile, WKMG said.
Another thing I don't understand is how is using a bangstick different than "using bullets"?

Diggers
October 24, 2007, 03:48 PM
ITs NOT. :) But really bang stick? Really? They make something better its called a shotgun. :rolleyes:

CoRoMo
October 24, 2007, 04:53 PM
Amphibian American

I'll have to use that line for a few laughs... and I'll credit you Tracker!!
Good stuff.

40SW
October 24, 2007, 04:56 PM
Why would you use a slow round like a .45ACP on a gator? Makes no sense.
You want maximum penetration. A .223 makes far more sense. In a handgun I would use a 10mm or a .357SIG. ,but only as a last resort.

CajunBass
October 24, 2007, 04:59 PM

Obviously a union gator.

AtticusThraxx
October 24, 2007, 05:45 PM
I think a bang stick is a shotgun shell setoff by contact, triggering a Co2 cartridge that fires it. Same concept as nail gun if I remember right.

brickeyee
October 24, 2007, 06:58 PM
"There's time to be politically correct after the gator is cooked and served."

Be sure to toast with an American beer.

"I think a bang stick is a shotgun shell setoff by contact, triggering a Co2 cartridge that fires it. Same concept as nail gun if I remember right."

Older bang sticks use a 12 gauge shell and are set off by pushing them against the target. The noise underwater is horrendous.

Newer 'bang sticks' use a CO2 cartridge and a needle.
The cartridge is pierced and the gas injected into the target.
Useful under water a since it makes the fish rise to the surface (or at least damages its buoyancy control).
The big advantage is being able to hear for the next few hours.

Harley Quinn
October 24, 2007, 07:58 PM
Does "gator" meat taste like chicken:D

Maybe they feed it to all the other animals or gators at various zoos:uhoh:

351 WINCHESTER
October 24, 2007, 09:04 PM
Heck I passed a semi on a 2 lane in Orange county and there was about a 10 foot gator crossing the road. I ran it over in my Datsun p/u and the gator hauled but. He's probably still alive. This happened in 1976 or 77. Darn gators are everywhere now. They can be problematic, but a well placed shot from a .22mag rifle works just fine, no matter what the size.

eastwood44mag
October 24, 2007, 10:27 PM
Sounds like a good job for the .44 magnum.

RyanM
October 25, 2007, 12:01 AM
I'm guessing they actually just missed. Even .45 ACP would punch through gator hide no problem. They aren't all that tough.

Gator
October 25, 2007, 01:24 AM
Even .45 ACP would punch through gator hide no problem.

:scrutiny:

Not if they were hitting its back, they wouldn't. The skin is very thick and tough there and reinforced by bony plates.

Harley Quinn
October 25, 2007, 01:35 AM
The 45 is my least favorite round for this application, to much surface and sloooow fps, compared to a 9mm or a 357. In the 125 grain area. FMJ is where it is at in the head for that fella.

I believe the 45 is a much preference round in +P in many applications, but not for this job. ;)

Jimmy Newman
October 26, 2007, 02:31 PM
The correct caliber for alligators is .22lr. Seriously.

They've got about a ping-pong ball sized target in the center of the top of their head, right behind the eyes. You hit them there and you could be using an ice pick. You hit 'em anywhere else and they're gonna be really mad at you for a good long time :).

Alligators can and do shrug off a surprising amount of gunfire when you're just shooting them in the body.

I've seen a fair number of alligators killed in East Texas with valid permits (including a few up around 10-12'). A .22 in the ping pong ball puts 'em right out.

RyanM
October 26, 2007, 06:49 PM
Not if they were hitting its back, they wouldn't. The skin is very thick and tough there and reinforced by bony plates.

What do you think ribs are made of? If a bullet can't punch through thick hide and bones, it's going to have a hard time doing much against a clothed human, too.

Okay, now I have to find that "poor man's bullet proof vest" thread again, and suggest using alligator hide.

Sam1911
October 26, 2007, 07:29 PM
And Gators ain't amphibians!

Wouldn't it be cool if they were? Can you imagine the tadpoles? :what:

:D

Gator
October 26, 2007, 08:06 PM
What do you think ribs are made of? If a bullet can't punch through thick hide and bones, it's going to have a hard time doing much against a clothed human, too.

:confused: Are you talking about human ribs? If so, comparing a human ribcage to an alligators back is like comparing a Ford F-150 to....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Galt38/bigtruck.jpg

Gators have ribs too, and hard thick skin, and bony plates. Actually, some Indian tribes used to use alligator skin shields.

The Bushmaster
October 26, 2007, 10:05 PM
Now that is a pickup...

tnieto2004
October 26, 2007, 10:10 PM
Make a vest out of him!

MPanova
October 28, 2007, 06:50 AM
"hunny have you seen the dog?.................hunny?"

:neener:

FieroCDSP
October 28, 2007, 07:08 AM
In my experience, Gator tastes like pork, with a hint of fish. But that's just me.

Limey46
October 28, 2007, 11:43 AM
The gators around here are getting really bad. Used to be you were fairly safe in an F-150, even on the back roads, but now you need a Hummer at least and you'd better stick to the Interstate, middle lane. I mean, I'm running out of friends. Just last Tuesday, ole Bobby Two-Tone goes off to the 7-11 for a 12-pack of Diet Coke 'cause LulaJeen's pregnant again and she can't digest barbecue without it, and POOF! Gone. All we found was his Zippo and a toenail.

In my experience, the poster from Texas has it right. You absolutely have to hit them in the brain and nowhere else. And just to be clear, a bang stick is an aluminum pole tipped with what amounts to a pistol-caliber chamber spring-mounted over a firing pin. When you load it and jab it into the gator, the cartridge is driven back into the firing pin, and bang. The idea is to do this only UNDER the surface of the water, because otherwise things can get messy in terms of bullet fragments, bone chips, and other stuff that doesn't mix well with human flesh and boat hulls. I once bang-sticked a 13-foot gator twice with Remington JSP 240-grain .44 mags, and got it right, too -- straight into the back of the head, directly above the brain -- and all it did was stun him some. To make him truly nonthreatening we had to sever his spine with a hammer and chisel. The .44s hadn't even penetrated his armor plate. But yeah, .22s work fine on the little guys. One way or another, you just have to get to the brain.

Gators taste like whatever they've been eating, which is usually fish or, here in west-central Florida, insufficiently armored rednecks. Myself, I like 'em South Florida poodle-fed. Call me old-fashioned.

Harley Quinn
October 28, 2007, 12:13 PM
Gators taste like whatever they've been eating, which is usually fish or, here in west-central Florida, insufficiently armored rednecks. Myself, I like 'em South Florida poodle-fed. Call me old-fashioned.

Here are a few recipes for them:

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/628/0.shtml

Ran across quite a few, these seemed like a pretty good start. Along with a few that the gator might like.

This one prefers deer, http://www.grisak.com/Fun%20Stuff/One%20Big%20Gator.htm

:)

Noxx
October 28, 2007, 01:18 PM
Does "gator" meat taste like chicken

Not at all, gator is own groovy sort of thing. It's not white meat, but it's not quite fish, it's.... well, gator.

And it's damn fine over rice and black beans with a nice roux.

fiddleharp
October 28, 2007, 05:30 PM
When I was a young...ahem!... poacher :uhoh:, everyone understood that only a perfect hit in the brain stem would do a gator in. Your average .22LR will do the trick, only if your aim was perfect. You can hit a gator with a .50 bmg anywhere except the brain stem and you'll lose him. Gators are the toughest things out there.

GotGlock
October 28, 2007, 06:48 PM
All im thinking about is gator burgers...mmmmmmmm.

Papaster
October 31, 2007, 11:07 AM
This has gotta be the funniest thing I've seen in weeks. :D I have to say this goes back to the basic "Handguns are handguns, and rifles are rifles." Not much will die immediately from a non-CNS or heart hit from a handgun. Include any large fur covered or otherwise critter, including the two-legged ones. Rifles with their high velocity will pierce far more than any handgun caliber, and arguing the difference between the 800fps of .45 or the 1200fps of a 9mm is negligible compared to the energy in a 30.06 round flying at nearly 3000fps.
A side note, and similar story, a friend of mine witnessed a white-tail deer struck by a car. being the caring citizen, he pulled over to move the deer out of the road, and found it was not yet dead. Trying to put it out of it's misery, he fired two rounds out of his 9mm handgun at the deer's cranium. Both bounced off the hard head of the doe. A very different implement was used to finish the deer.

Harley Quinn
October 31, 2007, 11:39 AM
Think "brain stem" not the cranium. Think "shot placement" behind the ears and toward the head not between the eyes and from the front.

Reptilian brain, the brain in some of these animals is not very big, but the juncture of where it connects to the spine is where you want to be hitting it.
;)

A good firemans ax will do the job:neener:

Mulliganpaintdee
October 31, 2007, 11:53 AM
speaking of big gators
http://yne.net/files/tx-gator.jpg

ceetee
October 31, 2007, 12:04 PM
A .22 in the ping pong ball puts 'em right out.

That's going right up there with the old:

"One smack in the grape and it's coloring books for Chriastmas time"

quote...

sleeperj21
October 31, 2007, 01:19 PM
A 22lr who uses a 22 to kill a gator that just pisses them off more if anything the proper way is with a shot gun or bang stick if you don't have that then something better then a 9mm. I would think a 45 would break the skin but then again I have shot a gator with a 30-30 and the gator didn't die shot him 2 times in the head.

CPshooter
October 31, 2007, 11:01 PM
I would have gone w/ a nice .308 rifle to the head myself:)

That is a big yellow truck, and a big 18ft gator. wow.

dhoomonyou
November 1, 2007, 11:49 AM
poised to strike at a truck at that size, 1000 pounds.

tastes like chicken.

lance22
November 2, 2007, 11:04 AM
How many of these do you figure you could get out of that gator??

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x137/lance22_photo/Holsters/alligator_5_600_s.jpg

The above made for me by Bearclaw Holsters (http://www.bearclawholsters.com) ... I used to live in FL down in Wauchula ...

joab
November 2, 2007, 11:14 AM
Reptilian brain, the brain in some of these animals is not very big, but the juncture of where it connects to the spine is where you want to be hitting it.Finally a comment from someone who knows

And yes a .22 will do it, or has for me a time or two

mekender
November 2, 2007, 04:40 PM
id say that the closest taste comparison for gator would be cubed steak... used to frequent a restaurant chain down in FL called gators dockside... they have (suprisingly) gator on the menu

lance22
November 2, 2007, 05:10 PM
There's a section of the tail beginning at (about) the tail's second vertebrae that's downright tastey. It's a pity that the rest of the animal's meat isn't nearly as good. You want a real Florida meal - have yourself some swamp cabbage with gator tail!

BlindJustice
November 2, 2007, 07:50 PM
It's Native American, Amphibian Tribe must be Seminole...

Do gator ribs bbq up goood? slurp....

Harley Quinn
November 2, 2007, 08:39 PM
Here is a recipe I found on the net for Gator Burgers

http://www.organicchefmonthly.com/id19.htm

I don't think I'd add the fishy stuff, if it did taste like chicken:uhoh: But if it is fishy tasting then it might be ok;)

elrod
November 2, 2007, 09:50 PM
....said it was poised to strike.

How silly! Anybody down south knows them Florida Gators ain't striking anybody this year!:neener:

Matt304
November 2, 2007, 10:54 PM
This kitty sure knows where to bite those bastards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7dazPp20d8

Harley Quinn
November 2, 2007, 11:35 PM
Now that was a good video, I was hoping the warm blood would win.
Must have been one hungry cat to fight that Gator. You have to wonder did momma teach it? Must be pure instinct.

If you enjoyed reading about "One tough Alligator" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!