NAA Minis

PDA

CoRoMo
October 23, 2007, 06:06 PM
Okay, so my carry situation leaves me few options. My work clothes always consist of blue jeans and a shirt tucked in. I figure that leaves me with only pocket or ankle carry. I've always been a fan of the NAA Mini revolvers, and especially the 22LR/22WMR conversions, but haven't made a purchase yet.

Questions:
Is there a good ankle holster for these little guys?
Do they produce any recoil to speak of?

Any other advice regarding this method of carry and hardware is welcome.

If you enjoyed reading about "NAA Minis" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KevininPa
October 23, 2007, 06:21 PM
I work construction and often dress the same. With tools and all of the moving and bending not encountered with normal living, I can't carry the way I normally do without my CCW getting hung up or eventually seen. So I have a NAA Mini Mag in .22 mag with the holster grip configuration tucked in my pocket like a folding knife. With the holster grip, recoil is negligible.

Surefire
October 23, 2007, 07:23 PM
I have a .22 LR/ .22 Magnum NAA mini.

Speaking to recoil, IMO its minimal with .22 LR.

However, due to the tiny grip, getting any kind of accuracy past 3 feet is a challege.

6_gunner
October 23, 2007, 07:24 PM
I am in a similar situation and I also considered a NAA mini. I ended up getting a Baby Browning, which I carry in the change pocket of my jeans. It would be visible with a tucked-in shirt, but with an untucked shirt its like its not even there. I feel that the Browning is a little more practical because of better ergonomics (in my opinion) and much faster reloading.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a mini, just sharing my personal experience.

Walkalong
October 23, 2007, 07:26 PM
My first or second gun (don't remember for sure) was a NAA .22 Mag which I still own (29 yrs) and have carried more miles than any other firearm. :)

Ala Dan
October 23, 2007, 10:48 PM
Don't know of any real ankle rigs that work well with the NAA 'minis"~? :scrutiny:

My 1-1/8" barrel WMR produces little recoil; but its as loud as any of my .357's~! :uhoh::D

Joe the Redneck
October 23, 2007, 11:29 PM
Get a Beretta. You will be much better off. I could never shoot my mini for crap. It's currently busted and I'm in no hurry to waste the money on shipping to get it fixed. My little Beretta has been with me for 15 years.

Vonderek
October 24, 2007, 12:02 AM
I own a .22LR NAA Mini Revolver however I can not think of a worse combination for self defense than what you are considering. A .22 (LR or Mag) out of a 1" barrel has negligible stopping power and ankle carry is about the slowest and least smooth way of drawing a gun (unless you are always seated.) Forget about trying to reload the little guy under stress. If your manner of dress precludes carrying a small .38 or 9mm at least consider a .32 or .380 in a pocket holster. If you must have the NAA Mini Revolver, think about pocket carry or maybe a neck holster like this:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k98/dreamcatchermedia/minicopy.jpg
And no, this is not a dangerous method of carry...the gun will only fit in the holster when the hammer is resting in one of the notches between the chambers.

MICHAEL T
October 24, 2007, 12:08 AM
Just get a P-32 Kel tec and a pocket holster Works very well and no one will notice I wear jeans and a T every day . KT in my pockry 98% of time I say 32 because they see a little more relieable than 380. My 380 and both of my 32 have beem relieable but never know with the 380.

JERRY
October 24, 2007, 02:17 AM
well built guns, but reserved for those who can only wear a bikini....

a beretta 950 with 50gr. fmj is small, light, easy to shot without any mods to the grip, reliable as hell....

the kel-tek .32 is flat and light and shoots a slightly better round but reliablity is touch and go....if you get a good one count your lucky stars, if you get a bad one, be prepared to pay shipping fees a few times for the "free" warranty work.

very small, ultimately reliable, and oozing quality, a Seecamp .32acp, $400.00 and well worth every penny.

sorry, i just realized you only wanted "revolver" ideas...

CoRoMo
October 24, 2007, 09:21 AM
All good thoughts, thanks. I can't imagine using an ankle holster, but my jean pockets are just too dang small. I might just have to buy other clothes and keep my Kel-Tec in a pocket. I'd love to carry a 1911 IWB, but I feel I'd look like a bum wearing baggy pants and un-tucked shirts everyday.

Gunner4h1r3
October 24, 2007, 09:27 AM
I usually pack a Colt 1991A1 Compact .45 ACP. It's pretty concealable and I carry it in a IWB behind my left hip (go southpaws!). Weight is pretty decent and recoil is controllable.

MCgunner
October 24, 2007, 09:42 AM
+1 KevininPa

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=54137&d=1172713704

1 old 0311
October 24, 2007, 02:28 PM
Do you smoke? I keep my Mini in a empty pack of Kools 100's in a box. Put it in your t-shirt pucket and you are good to go.:evil:

Vonderek
October 24, 2007, 06:45 PM
my jean pockets are just too dang small.
Your jeans would have to be painted on if you can't carry a Kel-Tec .32 in your front or rear pocket. I don't know for sure bet I'm willing to bet the KelTec is actually thinner than a NAA Mini. Try going to a gun store that has one and try one on for size.

Or try getting a different make of jeans. I regularly carry a j-frame in my jeans pocket with no problem.

MCgunner
October 24, 2007, 07:11 PM
Wranglers and Rustlers, yeah, small pockets. Try the new Wrangler cargos or about any brand carpenter's jeans, BIG front pockets. I carry either a small J frame or a P11 Kel Tec in mine.

But, for people that are really active on the job, something like a little NAA is like it ain't there. I do plan a new P3AT next, though. :D

cmidkiff
October 24, 2007, 09:50 PM
I'm often in close proximity to a wide variety of people, climbing around on ladders and under desks, at customer sites. Absolutely, positively, can't be spotted, or I'm out of a job. I wear jeans and tucked shirts (T or Polo type) with a P3AT in a Nemesis pocket holster. Never a problem.

I recently got to fire a .22mag mini, the one with the larger rubber boot grip and adjustable sights. I was able to hit empty 12g hulls on the ground at 7 yards or so. Surprised me how accurate the little thing was. Still, that model is longer, thicker, and heavier than my P3at... with a much less effective caliber and lower capacity, and no reload capability.

I'll stick with the P3at.

MCgunner
October 24, 2007, 09:56 PM
At close ranges under 15 yards, the NAA even the little 1 1/8" .22, will amaze you with accuracy it's capable of. Yeah, it's not exactly a bullseye gun, but at 10 yards hitting eye sockets is possible. However, the gun is quite slow on target because of the tiny sights and sight radius. You just have to deal with that, but it definitely beats nothing. I don't wanna get in a gun fight with it, but I could place a shot with it even at extended ranges and it's one heck of a lot better than a knife.

With the tiny grip on the little gun, I cannot shoot the thing. For me, the holster grip was mandatory.

KevininPa
October 25, 2007, 06:39 PM
"With the tiny grip on the little gun, I cannot shoot the thing. For me, the holster grip was mandatory."

Only way to go for me to hit anything. Others mileage may vary. I was almost ready to get rid of mine till I got the holster grip.

Erik
October 25, 2007, 09:02 PM
I'm with the crowd advocating the smaller autos over the minis for SD purposes... and the j-frame advocate.

PTK
October 25, 2007, 11:31 PM
I have minis in .22s, .22lr, and .22mag. All three are easily concealable, but the .22mag is the quickest for me to pull out of a pocket, cock, and fire. They are all LOUD, and as has been stated, accuracy is abysmal past a few feet with the stock grps if you're not really taking your time.

Basically, if all you can carry has to be small and so concealable that you can forget it's with you, go with the NAA minis. Just be sure you don't ever try to use them past "bad breath" range!

mortdooley
October 26, 2007, 07:05 AM
I agree with the suggestions to use a Kel-Tek .32, I have both and the NAA is for the "better then nothing" days. A Kel-Tek fits in the back pocket of my jeans and when wearing a shirt outside the pants it is well concealed. When I use an ankle holster I carry a Kel-Tek 9 which may be slow but much faster then reaching for a gun I had to leave home or in the car.

Ala Dan
October 26, 2007, 07:25 AM
Oops~! I just got a glimpse of the new NAA .22 WMR "Pug" yesterday~!
Its kind'a weird, and would take some gett'in use too~! :scrutiny::eek:

CoRoMo
October 26, 2007, 09:42 AM
I think I will buy one of these minis, and thanks to KevininPa, among others, I'll definitely get the holster grip. I'll carry it when it's better than nothing, and I'm going to make my wife get a CCW so she can keep the thing in her purse when I've got something bigger strapped on.

MCgunner
October 26, 2007, 09:54 AM
One thing the holster grip does, too, is protect the cylinder from objects in the pocket. If you look at the back of the gun, the rims are exposed on either side and being a rimfire, there is a chance of hitting it, whacking something on a cartridge rim while carrying. I don't carry anything in the pocket the gun is in, like keys and such, but the holster grip, while it doesn't completely cover the cylinder, does come close to the cylinder to help deflect anything that might come near it.

I've been carrying mine daily for 20 years (yeah, before Texas had a CCW law) and it's never had any sort of problem, I'm just making an observation.

pvq
October 26, 2007, 01:53 PM
I am a big fan of the minis and just thought I'd share this post that I made on another forum. get a "PUG"....I think you'll be happy

I very rarely post here, but I read here alot...especially when I am in research mode, and I felt compelled to respond to this thread to defend my recent purchase of a NAA "PUG" in 22 WMR.

I am an LEO with 18 years on the job. Like most, when I first recieved my badge...I never went ANYWHERE without a gun (usually a 5 shot J frame.) I wouldn't even think of NOT going out armed. As the years have gone by I find myself less willing to dress to conceal a firearm in my off hours. Many times, especially when just running out to the store, or going to church...the gun stayed home. More and more in recent years...when i was off duty...the gun stayed home....especially when I am wearing sweat pants...which is more and more these days.

I think we can all agree...the FIRST rule of gunfighting is HAVE A GUN! As has been repeated several times in these threads the gun you have with you beats the one in the safe at home.

Over the years...I have repeatedly downsized to find a weapon that was the most unobtrusive....glock 19, glock 26, s&w 340, and a Seecamp 32. All of those guns ended up being left at home most of the time when I was off duty because of the size EXCEPT for the Seecamp (that was left at home because, as an old revolver man...I just didn't have the confidence that it would fire after spending months...maybe years in my pocket without having been test fired.)

The Seecamp...like the NAA Guardian is a fine weapon (I have never been fond of the KelTec 32s.) But generally speaking pocket guns (for me at least) tend to get carried alot and fired a little. I have never been able to totally trust that one of those small autos will fire reliably after being carried daily in a pocket for maybe months at a time. I should note here that I really don't have any basis for this conclusion except to say that generally, any revolver will be more reliable than any auto...period. My personal Seecamp was as reliable as any glock I have ever owned...but I just couldn't have total confidence in it.

An NAA mini revolver is...in my opinion...the most common sense choice when it comes to a small personal protection firearm because it is utterly reliable. The likelihood of a revolver failing to fire even after being carried for years in a pocket unfired is miniscule.

As to the utility of the 22WMR round...I have always subscribed to the theory that no one wants to get shot. I am under no illusions...this gun is basically a contact weapon. But its ultra small size not only ensure that it will be carried EVERYWHERE AND ALL THE TIME...but can allow it to be serrupticiously deployed should the need arise. Considering that 92% (according to the latest staistics I have read) of DGU's require only the display of a firearm to diffuse the situation...I feel extremely confident with my PUG. If I am unfortunate enough to have an encounter that falls into the other 8%....I'm sure that the combination of the muzzel flash and "wrath of God" noise will be VERY persuasive.

I also agree with one of the posters that said "If I knew I would need a gun...I wouldn't go there!" I try to always observe that when i am off duty!

No Quarter
October 26, 2007, 07:42 PM
PVQ,

Thanks for that post. I hope we get many more from you. Well thought out and well written. Practical and real-life applicable. I agree 110%.

NQ

macadore
October 26, 2007, 08:21 PM
I have been wondering about the Mini-Master with the 4 inch barrel? Does anyone here have one of these? If so, how does it carry and handle?

eliphalet
October 26, 2007, 10:34 PM
Carried a NAA in 22LR for years in my jeans front pocket. No holster just loose with my change. It has killed critters from several hundred pounds to rattlesnakes, has hit vermin up close to 50 feet or so.
Not a 45 but a heck of a lot better than no gun. As mentioned in a earlier post, can be carried unnoticed with no more on than a bathing suit. Mine has been submersed on more than one occasion, Stingers always fired later.

Erik
October 26, 2007, 11:30 PM
So what are your guys times firing, say, five rounds into a target from the 7 yard line and reloading? Especially those more familiar with the platform. I'm curious.

pvq
October 27, 2007, 08:40 AM
Forget about a reload on an NAA in a combat situation. This is basically a "get away from me" gun....or a "put a round right into his ear canal (which should immediately stop all hostilities) gun" If the bad guy doesn't start running then you had better! I never actually chronographed myself but I would estimate I can put 5 rounds down range in 7 seconds...drawing from a pocket with the weapon cocked and ready to fire as soon as it comes on line. I wouldn't attempt to undertake any enforcement action armed only with an NAA. This is 5 rounds of personal protection only. I read somewhere that the minis are "better than harsh language but not as good as a 12 gauge"....that gave me a chuckle....and its so very true

PTK
October 27, 2007, 08:59 AM
I would say my time for drawing is less than a second (I keep one in my pocket and tend to walk around town with my hands in my pockets), with the first round very closely following presentation of the revolver.

The next four rounds usually get fired in the next three to five seconds, at least on the range. I realize that under stress things will not go so smoothly, so I figure on only one sure BANG quickly, the first shot.

wnycollector
October 27, 2007, 09:04 AM
My step dad carried either a NAA mini or charter .38 for years when dropping off his night deposit at the bank. He never shot it a whole lot but when he did it hit what he aimed at!

deputy tom
October 27, 2007, 06:07 PM
CoRoMo,you asked...
Is there a good ankle holster for these little guys? I modified a $15.00 nylon gunshow special to fit mine.

Do they produce any recoil to speak of? I have the Convertible and neither recoils but the Mag's are noticably louder.

These are very nice "always" guns.You'll notice many others will suggest P-32's which are also light and compact.
Seecamps and NAA Guardians have a large following as well.

I own/have owned them all.You need to go handle all variations for yourself and determine which one you like best.tom.:cool:

Double Naught Spy
October 27, 2007, 10:07 PM
I pocket carry in my back pocket with one of these holsters...
http://www.pocketholsters.com/NAA_Pocket_Wallet_Holster/naa_pocket_wallet_holster.html

This is my backup gun when my primary is something small like a Kahr PM9. Given that I have the .22 lr version with the 1 and 1/8" barrel, I figure it is truly a "real man's gun." Sure, my 6 year old daughter can shoot it just fine, but for defense purposes, it is a truly what a real man should carry. Why? Because you can put all 5 rounds into your aggressor and still have to throw it like a rock or use it as a weight in your fist to stop your attacker.

As for the notions of shooting people in the eye or ear, yeah, sure with contact shots maybe. The sights on the little guns are pretty much terrible as some would argue that they are not even meant to be used. So the chance of hitting a small moving target (such as an eye socket of an aggressor) given the poor sights, short sight radius, and stiff trigger is virtually nil if it isn't a contact or near contact shot.

tinygnat219
October 27, 2007, 10:17 PM
A toy, a dangerous toy for sure, but NOT a Self Defense Handgun. Spend 20 extra bucks and pick up a Kel-Tec P32.

MCgunner
October 29, 2007, 07:48 PM
The problem with shooting the NAA quickly is it's so friggin' short, it's near impossible to point shoot. And, with a cartridge that weak, you need head shots, not COM, which complicates things even further. My first shot is certainly NOT that fast. I wanna acquire sights and make a head shot. But, it beats nothing.

Oh, I'm not real high on .32 either. Even .380 doesn't give me goose bumps, but it's a step up and a P3AT isn't any bigger than the P32.

I have a .380, also, but I think a P3AT will complete my options from bare bones near naked NAA to full sized .45 Auto or .357 magnum medium frame carried IWB. I like having choices.

As for the notions of shooting people in the eye or ear, yeah, sure with contact shots maybe. The sights on the little guns are pretty much terrible as some would argue that they are not even meant to be used. So the chance of hitting a small moving target (such as an eye socket of an aggressor)

I have continually been amazed at how accurate the little gun really is with the sights. You just haven't tried. Yes, they're tiny and yes, they're slow to acquire, but once acquired, I can place shots even out at 25 yards pretty well. I've taken rabbits at about 15 yards with it, head shot snakes at 10 feet with it, and even head shot a feral dog at 25 yards with it. I can fill the interior of a pie plate with it at 25 yards. Not exactly bullseye material, but it's not inaccurate or worthless, or what I'd call a contact weapon.

MCgunner
October 29, 2007, 08:02 PM
One thing I should say about the NAA and using the rudimentary sights it has, they can be quite accurate at the range in daylight, but indoors in less than stellar lighting conditions, they are rather worthless. LOL! I don't think anyone makes a laser grip for it, either, so it's a very minimal tool that's better than nothing, but I still think everyone that carries needs one in their carry battery. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "NAA Minis" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!