4" .357 CorBon 200g HC @50yards

PDA

islandphish
October 23, 2007, 06:15 PM
Does anyone have any ballistics data for this?

I would like to hunt deer this fall with this set up. My state requires 500ft/lbs at 50yards. So far I can only find muzzle data.

If you enjoyed reading about "4" .357 CorBon 200g HC @50yards" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim March
October 23, 2007, 07:13 PM
This may help:

http://www.naaminis.com/energy.html

At 50 yards you'll likely lose about 50fps velocity. Take your known muzzle velocity, drop 50, use that table. I think you'll be OK :).

islandphish
October 23, 2007, 08:06 PM
That's great, thank you. Looks like I'll be legal with this set up.

I'm really looking forward to my first handgun deer.

Jim March
October 23, 2007, 11:51 PM
Comment...yeah, it's legal.

If the deer is big enough, it's probably optimal.

If it's going to be on the smallish side, and I don't know what the boundry is but would guesstimate 200lbs, you may be better off with a fast 158-170gr JHP that will expand while punching not quite as deep. On a cross-body shot a good hunting-class JHP (like the deep-punch XTPs with their brass jackets) will do real well. I'd recommend either Buffalo Bore or Doubletap as small ammo houses brewing potent loads.

What the Cor-Bon would give you is the ability to do a lengthwise shot, esp. from behind. It should punch far enough to reach at least lungs with a straight-up-the-butt shot, something I wouldn't try with a JHP.

CAUTION: I'M NOT A HUNTER YET, THIS IS "BOOK LEARNIN" AND STUDYING GEL TESTS. M'kay?

That said: if it was me, I'd be tempted to do a mixed cylinder: first round a fast 158 XTP (also consider the Georgia Arms "Deerstopper") followed by the Cor-Bons. If the first shot don't do it I'm going to send 200s up his rump until he stops.

Gordon
October 24, 2007, 12:15 AM
Jim's advice is good, but may I suggest Winchester Partition Gold 180 grain .357 ammo. I have killed a couple blacktail with that load in a 5 inch gun and it looked like a 30-30 hit to me.

islandphish
October 24, 2007, 02:12 AM
Appreciate the thoughts...

looks like the Buffalo Bore would have been a great choice, Double Tap is really near the Cor Bons. The Winchester Partition Golds would not be legal as they don't make 500ft/lbs at 50yards.

As i mentioned above this is my first handgun deer. As such I am worried about penetration. A big buck around here can go 300 pounds in our mixed whitetail/muley country.

With that big pill I may be in for some tracking but I know it won't turn on me if it hits a rib on the way in, and should punch straight through even if it hits two ribs.

I'm gonna treat it just like bow hunting and keep my shots within 50yds, wait an hour before follow-up, just like that.

Besides...I already bought the Cor Bons!!

Gordon
October 24, 2007, 11:18 AM
"A big buck around here can go 300 pounds in our mixed whitetail/muley country. " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim March
October 25, 2007, 01:39 AM
Anything 300lbs, I can see a good use for a hardcast with a big flat nose, like the Cor-Bon 200 or the hottest Buffalo Bore hardcast.

ArchAngelCD
October 25, 2007, 01:52 AM
I looked at a few .357 Mag hunting rounds and I think Double Tap 180 gr (http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=151) are probably the best. If you are really set on a 200gr bullet Double Tap has a 200 gr (http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=152) bullet too. Both are Wide Flat Nose Gas Check Hard Cast rounds. These rounds are almost as hot as the Buffalo Bore (http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#357) rounds but will cost you about half the price. (remember to compare both rounds with the 4" barrel numbers, not the 1400 fps in the BB chart)

islandphish
October 25, 2007, 06:15 AM
Yeah, archangel, The Double tap 200 are virtually identical to the corbon 200. The 180 may be a good choice, but why use a lighter non expanding bullet?

Seems the 200 has more likelihood of punching completely through. If I were using expanding ammo then I would understand wanting to use a lighter round, possibly. At least as I understand that when shooting rifles.

But I bought the 200s Cor Bon while in AK, so I already have them. And it looks like they are going to be one of the top, if not the top choice. So I am happy that I have a quality and legal round to shoot out of my K frame.

timothy75
October 25, 2007, 07:53 PM
The thing with the small company super loads is its cost prohibitive to practice with them which should be first priority. I've also found none of my 357's allow enough rear sight adjustment to sight them in as they hit way high. I'd be totally confident with any 158gr SP or HP going 1300fps with good shot placement. I've ran informal penetration tests with Magtech 357sp against heavy 45colts and the 357 out penetrated the 45 fyi. Good luck

If you enjoyed reading about "4" .357 CorBon 200g HC @50yards" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!