Who Really Carries in an Ankle Holster??

PDA

CoRoMo
October 23, 2007, 06:24 PM
I'm probably going to have to start carrying using an ankle holster for a few reasons and wanted to know who around here actually does this on a daily routine. :scrutiny: Also, let me know what hardware is located in that holster way down there.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who Really Carries in an Ankle Holster??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ridgeway
October 23, 2007, 07:37 PM
S&W 37 in a galco ankle glove

love it

http://www.jdbeyer.com/ankle.jpg

jojosdad
October 23, 2007, 07:41 PM
Model 49 Smith in a Galco Ankle Glove occasionally.
I need to replace the stocks as the checkering on them scrapes the skin off of the back of my calf unless I put medical tape there.

CAPTAIN MIKE
October 23, 2007, 07:42 PM
I have carried on an ankle right occasionally. I'd do it more but so far I haven't found one that's really 'comfortable' and doesn't hurt. Any ideas?

Mannlicher
October 23, 2007, 07:59 PM
Ankle carry is just one of many options. I have always found it difficult to draw quickly with that carry option. At times though, it does make sense.

VHinch
October 23, 2007, 07:59 PM
Taurus 85 Ultra Lite in a Galco Ankle Glove every day of the work week. On weekends I belt carry, but that isn't an option for me at my job, so ankle carry it is. The key is a good ankle holster. A no name nylon gun show piece of crap will be horribly uncomfortable, but after a day with a good holster you'll forget it's there.

V

grimjaw
October 23, 2007, 08:04 PM
I've only had one gun small enough to properly conceal down there, and I've since sold it off.

jm

perpster
October 23, 2007, 08:47 PM
Only when pocket or belt not practical, or for a backup location. But since I've bought a Scandium J it's the only one I put on the ankle. I never liked carrying a steel J there; just too heavy to work well there (especially if chasing perps was in the cards).

denfoote
October 23, 2007, 10:54 PM
P3AT in a Barsony ankle holster.

Not all the time because it has a tendency to cut off the circulation in my leg if I get it on to tight. Plus, I don't wear long pants that often. It's almost November and it's going to be 92 degrees tomorrow!! That's still shorts and t-shirt weather!! :what:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/denfoote/P3ATRig004small.jpg

aguyindallas
October 23, 2007, 10:57 PM
Although I do not now, I carried a G26 or my 642 in an ankle holster, as my primary weapon for quite a while. For both guns, I used a Galco Ankle Holster and I used the calf strap in both cases...worked well until I found how nice it was to carry my 642 in my pocket.

Ala Dan
October 23, 2007, 11:01 PM
Never Have, and Never Will~! :scrutiny: ;)

Ragnar Danneskjold
October 23, 2007, 11:48 PM
Never have, might when I become an LEO. Might.

sig228
October 24, 2007, 12:18 AM
For a lighter gun, such as my Kahr PM-9. Easy access from a sitting position in a car. I can't imagine carrying a heavier gun all day though.

19-3Ben
October 24, 2007, 12:26 AM
Umm...flawed poll. I have never carried in an ankle holster, but that doesn't mean I never will. I very well might in the future, and have considered it. But for now, I have not had to.

hexidismal
October 24, 2007, 12:27 AM
There should have been another option, "never have, but can't say I never will". That's where I stand. Can't vote because none of them fit. If the situation and the gun was right, I might.

hexidismal
October 24, 2007, 12:28 AM
Argh.. triple post, sorry. Reload problem there.

hexidismal
October 24, 2007, 12:30 AM
Argh.. triple post, sorry. Reload problem there.

MinnMooney
October 24, 2007, 12:32 AM
I've tried several holsters with 2 different guns but nothing stays in place and it's a little uncomfortale at times. It's never reached the point where I actually forget that I'm carrying one on my ankle like when I carry on my belt.

Maybe I should try one of those above the calf garter gizzmos. That would at least keep it from becoming visible below my cuff.

GRIZ22
October 24, 2007, 12:52 AM
I said occasionally, at least at this time. I will be the first to admit that carrying your primary firerams in an ankle holster is not a good idea. However if you're in a lower danger environment and if fits to conceal with what you are wearing why not.

I'm a retired LEO that worked a plainclothes job for 27 years. My primary weapon ,S&W M66, 1911, Taurus PT99AF, S&W 6906, Ruger P90, or Glock 17 depending on what my agency authorized at the time, was on my hip or in a shoulder holster. The J frame might move to a hip or appendix carry if I was wearing a shoulder holster. I bought a DeSantis ankle holster about 20 years ago and still use it and it is the most comfortable ankle holster I ever wore. I could wear it for 24 hours and there was no hint of being uncomfortable. I tried cheaper holsters and they all had comfort issues. Can't remember the model number but it's the all leather one with the padding that goes around your ankle. I have one for my 6906 and Glock 26 and they work just as well.

I still use them with a J frame or G26 in low threat environments.

You have to remember the only way to draw from an ankle holster is go to the strong side kneeling and draw from the holster on your weak side. If something doesn't look right move the gun from your ankle holster to your belt or pocket.

Not the best arrangement but I still use them. Buy a good one or you'll wish you did.

Exmasonite
October 24, 2007, 12:53 AM
I like ankle carry while driving. Inside of left leg, i'm a right hander.

Much quicker access.

that being said, i usually only utilize this if i'm driving through a bad area or on long distance car trips. I usually have my IWB on, too and transfer to that before leaving the car.

isp2605
October 24, 2007, 09:34 AM
I carried my second in an ankle rig everyday without fail for 31 yrs. Now that I'm retired I still occasionally carry in an ankle rig if nothing else will work at the time.

ACP230
October 24, 2007, 11:01 AM
Usually only on car trips to supplement my other gun.
It's easier to get to than my regular carry gun when seated in a vehicle.

scbair
October 24, 2007, 11:26 AM
Occasionally, when trveling (via car) for a BUG; primary is too large for ankle carry . . .

AK103K
October 24, 2007, 02:01 PM
I bought a DeSantis ankle holster about 20 years ago and still use it and it is the most comfortable ankle holster I ever wore. I could wear it for 24 hours and there was no hint of being uncomfortable.
I'll second the Desantis holster, so far, of the half dozen or so I've tried, its been the most comfortable holster of this type I've used.

I use one occasionally, depending on need. If you wear the right pants and practice a little, the gun is not hard to get to, and you might be surprised, but you can do it pretty quick. I practice both dropping to one knee, and on one leg, staying standing. Its great if your in the car a lot.

Depending on what you do for a living, something you might want to consider is, your placing your gun in a bad place as far as dirt and water go.

Its also somewhat subject to abuse, and you also need to pay attention when your seated in public and how you place your legs. Next to shoulder holsters, its probably the second easiest to spot.

As an alternative, have you considered Smart Carry. Since I discovered it, I've used mine daily. It works great with smaller pistols/revolvers, and you forget you have it on. Its got a waterproof backing and your gun is well protected. You'll be amazed at how well it works at concealing your gun and its not hard at all to get to, even sitting.

Hokkmike
October 24, 2007, 02:01 PM
I can't say that I NEVER will, put it seems unlikely.

another okie
October 24, 2007, 06:59 PM
G26 or Titanium snubbie in Galco ankle glove sometimes. When I can, belt carry is preferred, but sometimes it's not practical. I also use pocket carry sometimes. But I can't carry at work, so I don't "always" carry anything.

MCgunner
October 24, 2007, 08:23 PM
Ankle is slow to get at, but when I'm on a trip to the big city, I'll often carry on an ankle with a .357 in my Thunderwear. The thunderwear is hard to access while seated, the ankle is not. Same for pocket carry, really.

rj112275
October 24, 2007, 10:19 PM
i love to carry a j-frame in the pocket, or wear my Glock 19 on the waist. however, i do carry the j-frame on the ankle when i don't have a cover garment, or untucked shirt, and my pockets aren't big enough... case in point, usually my .38 is on my ankle when i'm at church.

kd7nqb
October 25, 2007, 01:22 AM
The 4in M&P .40 does not seem to be conducive to ankle, but once I get a kel-tec we shall see.

Autolycus
October 25, 2007, 02:18 AM
I would consider it when I move to a free state. However I think I would prefer pocket carry myself.

ShooterMcGavin
October 25, 2007, 02:40 AM
Next to shoulder holsters, its probably the second easiest to spot.
Really?!?! Maybe I need to reconsider getting an ankle holster. Are there other people who agree with that??

Help?

Nitrogen
October 25, 2007, 02:56 AM
I'll sometimes carry a snubby in an ankle holster as a backup if I'm feeling quite saucy, or if I have to dress nicely, I'll carry it there as primary.

Not the best tactically, of course, but sometimes I just have to look nice.

gpr
October 25, 2007, 07:44 AM
i carried an amt 380 in an uncle mikes for years...i since have moved into the the 20th centry and moved on to a keltec in the front pocket...should you ankle carry use a set up that has a garter, maybe it's removable....that extra support is nice....gpr

Geronimo45
October 25, 2007, 11:50 AM
Really?!?! Maybe I need to reconsider getting an ankle holster. Are there other people who agree with that??
The problem as I see it is clothes. Bell bottoms have gone way out of style, so pants legs are tighter now, which makes ankle carry less concealable than before. If somebody looks down, they are liable to notice a bulge in your pants leg. If you're wearing low-top shoes, it could raise suspicion for sure.

I expect he's talking about horizontal shoulder rigs.

AK103K
October 25, 2007, 01:20 PM
The ankle holsters I've seen have been more because someones pants rode up when they were sitting, or getting out of their car, and the bottom of the holster was hanging below the pants. There's always the double sock thing, but I never found it comfortable. If your pants are tight enough to bulge, I doubt they will be loose enough to pull over the gun to get it out.

If your paying attention, its not an issue, but its something you have to get ingrained into your head. I usually dont take my left leg, the leg with the gun on it, off the floor, and usually cross my right leg over the lower part of my left when I sit in the open in public, instead of over my knee.

As far as shoulder holsters, yup, all have been horizontal from the front, mostly because the gun swung forward when they person bent forward and didnt have their coat zipped. I have seen the straps from what I assumed was a shoulder holster, through the back of clothing that was to light weight wise. Unless the boy was wearing a bra of some sort, I figured what else would it be? :)

GaryP
October 26, 2007, 12:38 AM
Nope, it just does not work for me! :(

:evil:

Mandirigma
October 26, 2007, 07:55 AM
Primarily just at work. I carry a Glock 33 in a similar holster to the one in post #9.

I've found that it works the best for me while i'm at work. I do a lot of bending, so IWB/OWB is not an option. I don't wear a jacket so Shoulder Rig is impossible. I have too much stuff in my pockets while i'm working so dedicating one for pocket carry is just not practical. Though I do shove a Fullsized G31 mag in one pocket and make the rest of the stuff work around it.

Striker
October 26, 2007, 08:05 AM
I use an ankle holster for blacktie/formal wear situations. Normally with a J frame or PPK/s

WVMountainBoy
October 27, 2007, 01:41 AM
Have a Detective Special that I'll put on a bianchi ankle rig occasionally when I'm working out side and know I'm going to have my shirt off...splitting wood and/or yard work. The gun's primary function is wildlife control at that point. Can't see wearing one to defend against two legged varmits. Usually loaded with CCI shot loads as well

Oohrah
October 29, 2007, 02:37 AM
Used as a back up at night when car patrol. Not the most comfortable!
It takes some practice to get into action. Hot tee shirt weather it's
handy with somewhat baggy legged trousers. Mostly used with a
Smith J frame 3". Have not found one I like for a Glock 27 that I like:confused:

strickj
October 29, 2007, 03:18 AM
when I carry there its always outside my pants by the time you get your jeans up its to late,and have you ever seen someone doing the flamingo dance getting to it

gunmn74
October 29, 2007, 07:29 AM
I do for long trips. When seated in a car it is write there in reach and
very comfortable. Before I get out and go into a rest stop or gas station
I pull it out and drop it in my pocket. (J-frame):D

possum
October 29, 2007, 01:26 PM
never have and i really don't know why i would ever.

Erik
October 29, 2007, 02:57 PM
Only occassionally, and here's why...

The "in fight access" is practically non-existant.

PhrankKastle
October 29, 2007, 11:36 PM
Due to my job situation I carry my Sig P239 in a ankle rig everyday, started while I was LEO and have just continued since. When out of work it becomes back up to my Sig P229, but the 239 is always there rain or shine.

strickj
October 30, 2007, 01:18 AM
PhrankKastle
a bit on the side here but are you currently a LEO?just curious if that was the job situation is all

BikerRN
October 30, 2007, 05:17 AM
I carry a BUG Off-Duty, yes, I'm an LEO.

I keep an Ankle Holster, Galco Ankle Glove, in the truck and move the BUG from my weak side pocket to the ankle when I'm seated in the vehicle. I mostly wear shorts Off-Duty, but nobody can see the holster when I'm seated in the truck. :)

The same applies if I'm wearing a suit. In fact, all my suit pants are "cut" to accomodate the Ankle Holster. On Duty I have to carry what they issue me and BUGS are verbotten. :barf: It's a good thing we have a very "liberal" Off-Duty policy. :D

Biker

Alton
October 30, 2007, 05:42 AM
Dear CoRoMo.
In the winter I carry in a ankle holster and like it alot.But I also have a Great ankle holster that I can even run with and the gun will not come out.If your going to carry in a ankle holster look at K.L.Null Holsters he hand makes them
http://www.klnullholsters.com/
Some of the resons I like a ankle holster.
You can get to the gun when sitting in a car.
Can carrie when I have sweet pants on.
My pants do not slide down becouse of the weight of the gun on by belt.
I can hug a girl with out having her feel the gun on my belt.
I do not have a gun sticking me in the side.

Rob

silverking
October 30, 2007, 07:46 PM
Once in a while I'll carry my j-frame in an ankle holster if I'm wearing looser fitting pant legs. Not with Levi's or wranglers. I ride alot in the summer months so my carry is usually shouldered with the s&w mp .40 or the stoeger cougar 8000 and the j-frame is pocket carry.

Rexster
October 30, 2007, 08:55 PM
The poll is closed already, but I use ankle carry regularly, mostly at work on police patrol, but somewhat often while on my own time. Drawing the weapon is quite easy while sitting in a low-slung Crown Victoria seat, and if I am ever knocked onto my back, the ankle-carried snubby will be more accessible than the SIG in my retention-style duty rig. So, "in-fight access" will depend on the nature of the fight! I use an Alessi rig, which retain the weapon even when running, but if I am chasing an armed bad guy on foot, I may deploy the snubby while bailing out of the car, to make running easier. The full-power .357 ammo will be about as good at close range as anything I shoot from my three-point-something duty SIG barrel.

PhrankKastle
October 30, 2007, 10:59 PM
Strickj
No longer LEO, been out of that for about 15 years now, just started carrying ankle as backup then and never stopped. Just current job not anti gun but not pro either so just best to keep carry as discreet on the job as possible.

NAK
October 30, 2007, 11:34 PM
Sometimes its an ankle rig or nothing, so I've learned to deal with it. I find wearing boots with the ankle holster works best.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who Really Carries in an Ankle Holster??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!