Gold Dot or Silver Tip?

PDA

Case82
October 25, 2007, 12:14 AM
I've shot ~100 rounds of each through my Glock (.40) & had no problems with feeding, reliability etc. My question is which would you guys recommend as far as 'terminal performance' expansion, penetration etc. I'm using 155gr. hollowpoints. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Gold Dot or Silver Tip?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jonnyc
October 25, 2007, 12:45 AM
No question...GD.

1lostinspace
October 25, 2007, 01:16 AM
G dot period

StrikeEagle
October 25, 2007, 01:19 AM
I think Silvertip is older technology. I'd go Gold Dot.

ArchAngelCD
October 25, 2007, 03:04 AM
The Gold Dot bullet is a newer design and is made with a newer procedure unavailable when Winchester designed their Silvertip bullet. I would also suggest the Gold Dot unless YOUR gun like Silvertip ammo better and YOU are more accurate with Silvertips. A better expanding bullet means nothing unless you hit what you shoot at. Winchester Silvertip ammo was used for many years by a lot of different LEO's because it works. I have several boxes of Silvertip in .38 Special +P and .357 Magnum and wouldn't hesitate to carry it if I didn't have any of my current carry ammo available. (Double Tap .38 Special +P w/Gold Dot bullet)

Autolycus
October 25, 2007, 03:19 AM
I am also going to suggest Gold Dots. Its a newer design.

Euclidean
October 25, 2007, 03:28 AM
Provided that the gun cycled both reliably, yes, Gold Dots. FYI I carry Gold Dots myself so my money is where my mouth is on this one.

BUT if one load worked more reliably than the other, I'd take the more reliable one every time. It's not like the Silvertips don't work as well as they ever did just because something better came along.

sholling
October 25, 2007, 04:19 AM
Gold Dot for sure.

sm
October 25, 2007, 04:37 AM
If both are reliable and shoot POA/POI , just grab whichever is most handy and don't worry about it.

Rich K
October 25, 2007, 05:51 AM
I carry 230Gr GD in my Kimber. I have also used them hunting deer- a 270 GR out of a M-29 S&W. Worked as advertised.

jungleroy
October 25, 2007, 06:16 AM
I also like and shoot Speer Gold Dot ammunition for hunting with my 45 longcolt, I like that the jacket does not separate from the lead core as it mushrooms.

camsdaddy
October 25, 2007, 10:55 AM
I carried gold dots for quite sometime and then sorta wondered away. I heard that it may help in a legal case if you load the same as your local law enforcement. That is when I returned and have been confident they would do the job.

mavracer
October 25, 2007, 01:19 PM
while I use both,in your shoes I'd pick golsdots they're probably a little more reliable(terminal performance wise) and cheaper.

Marlin 45 carbine
October 25, 2007, 01:32 PM
I have never shot any GD's but have shot the Silvers, they did well taking large feral dogs, quite an exit hole w/the 185 gr. in my Marlin Camp .45
never heard any bad concerning GD's, most LEO's I know use them.

Fisherman_48768
October 25, 2007, 01:47 PM
Gold dots for sure, I've read some bad press on the reliability of silver tips not expanding.

stephpd
October 25, 2007, 01:55 PM
+1 gold dot:)

CWL
October 25, 2007, 08:38 PM
Gold Dots.

I have never been able to forget that the FBI used SilverTips in their 1986 Miami Shootout where one BG killed 2 and wounded 5 FBI Agents even though he had been already been hit with 6 9mm SilverTip bullets...

jonboynumba1
October 25, 2007, 08:45 PM
I'd also go GD between those two ....Corbon's 135gr +P is also a fatastic performer and shoots great to. Feels like a +P 9mm ...shoots great in G22/23's anyway. I like the lighter faster .40's as well.

GRB
October 25, 2007, 08:46 PM
Gold Dots for zombies, and Silver Tips for werewolves.

I shoot Gold Dots, but I get em from work, so that sort of biases me. I can tell you though that many federal agencies like those Gold Dots, and they were highly recommended by the FAMS when I flew as a volunteer FAM right after 9/11.

All the best,
Glenn B

StrikeEagle
October 25, 2007, 09:15 PM
Gold Dots for zombies, and Silver Tips for werewolves.

:D:D:D:D

Black Majik
October 25, 2007, 09:33 PM
I use and prefer Gold Dots also.

Alan Fud
October 25, 2007, 11:00 PM
I recall reading on this board that Winchester recently redesigned their silvertip line to perform better than in the past.

I believe that Silvertips penetrates deeper while Golddots expand better.

Gold Dots for zombies, and Silver Tips for werewolves.I understand the "Silver Tips for werewolves" but what do you mean by "Gold Dots for zombies"?

ziadel
October 25, 2007, 11:21 PM
You can sip brandy from a Gold Dot.

So you can shoot things and impress the ladies.

sm
October 25, 2007, 11:32 PM
Win STHP

Interesting thing is, these feed in anything.
Over the years, assisting folks on a private range with CCW, and other needs, it did not matter platform or caliber , STHP worked.

I am speaking primarily of 9mm 115 gr, and 45ACP 185 gr.
I am going back before .40 cal even came to be...and since.

32ACP, what Seecamp was based on to other calibers and even revolvers.

Gun gotta run in order to have shot placement.

mr_blove
October 26, 2007, 04:17 AM
Gold Dot everyday in my carry gun

Odd Job
October 26, 2007, 04:27 AM
If it was me I would take the Gold Dots. But I base that mainly on what I know about those rounds in 9mmP.

Marshall
October 26, 2007, 08:44 AM
I carry both.

Scorpiusdeus
October 26, 2007, 12:33 PM
I've done a few surveys on various gun boards and Gold Dots are preferred by more people by a very wide margin. I like the Gold dots from double tap myself.

The Bushmaster
October 26, 2007, 04:03 PM
I would tell you to use Gold Dot. But I won't because everyone has already told you. Sure saves me a lot of typing...:D

The_Shootist
October 26, 2007, 05:06 PM
Actually I carry Remington Golden Sabre 124gr +P in my G19. But from the wide variety of favorable reports, Gold Dots would be my second choice.

But in my 686+ or P-32 its Silvertips.

Ala Dan
October 26, 2007, 10:06 PM
Federal Hydra-Shok's anyone~? :uhoh: ;)

The Bushmaster
October 26, 2007, 10:58 PM
Ala Dan...He didn't ask about Federal Hydra-shoks...But if you insist. And sense you mentioned it.:D Yes I use 124 grain Hydra-shoks in my 9mm X 19 and 130 grain Hydra-shoks in my .357 magnum.:)

Floppy_D
October 26, 2007, 11:25 PM
I haven't tried any of my defense ammo on anything alive, so I don't know what my opinion is worth. I loaded 500 155g silvertips on 11.2g of blue dot, in 40sw, which is a powder factory reccomendation. I shot about 400 of those, and loved them. I can place my shots well with them, which counts for something, for me. Try all of the ammo available to you, and see what you/your gun shoots best with. I feel that shot placement will do more than the round itself, all things considered.

woodstock72000@yahoo.com
October 26, 2007, 11:40 PM
I use nothing but 165 grain Federal Supreme Hydra-Shocks. I figure that if the law enforcement agencies use them, why not. I`ve went through a few hundred of them $$$$$$$$$$ and they are very,very accurate. I got to participate in a seminar and saw what they`ll do to the jelly-jugs also and I think that they would definetly be what you`re looking for.

Alan Fud
October 27, 2007, 12:07 AM
Well, if we are going to go past the original two asked about ..... Winchester Rangers!

Elm Creek Smith
October 27, 2007, 12:16 AM
Depleted uranium. :what: It worked in the desert!

ECS

Big Boomer
October 27, 2007, 01:51 AM
Gold dot fer shur! You think there is REAL gold in them thar boolits? :neener:

bpisler
October 27, 2007, 08:19 AM
I carry both depending on the caliber,
gold dots in 9mm and 45acp,STHP's in
357mag and 44spl.The 44spl's have
been updated with a larger hollowpoint
that is very similar to the old speer
flying ash tray 45acp's from the 70's

Alan Fud
October 27, 2007, 02:55 PM
Depleted uranium.The depleted uranium (DU) used by the U.S. Department of Defense contains approx. 0.2% U-235 and 0.003% of U-236 [AEPI1995]. The DU penetrators are made of an alloy of 99.25 weight-% of depleted uranium and 0.75 weight-% of titanium. (Source (http://www.wise-uranium.org/ruxd.html))

And here's another link (http://www.ratical.org/radiation/dhap/dhap992.html) explaining that DU isn't entirely safe for the person pulling the trigger.

Steve H
October 27, 2007, 03:00 PM
Third choice..................Cor Bon loaded with the Barnes XPB bullet.

If you can sip brandy from a GD then you can carry the flask in th XPB

The Bushmaster
October 27, 2007, 03:01 PM
Yeah but...It's even worse on the perp...

glockman19
October 27, 2007, 03:12 PM
Gold Dot's & Hydra Shok's

Alan Fud
October 27, 2007, 04:53 PM
Yeah but...It's even worse on the perp...This is true, but do you want to be armed with the ULTIMATE weapon even if it eventually kills you as well from long-term exposure?

According to this source (http://www.wise-uranium.org/dviss.html), radiation levels from DU ammo is about 50 microRoentgen per hour which is several times normal background radiation levels.

The Bushmaster
October 27, 2007, 05:28 PM
I wasn't going to carry them...I was going to let you carry them...

Super Trucker
October 28, 2007, 10:56 PM
If your gun can fire what your local PD uses that would be my recommendation. If you need to fire there will be NO question as to why you used a killer type ammo, since the PD uses it also.

Clipper
October 28, 2007, 11:36 PM
I started using Silvertips about 30 years ago, when they were the baddest, most accurate things you could get in factory ammo. I have fired thousands of them through .380, 9mm, .357, .44 & 45ACP. They have never failed me in any way, and that's good enough for me to smile and nod at the salespeople telling me I just gotta have the latest hotrocks stuff, and the bullets with teeth, and that I'm dangerously handicapping myself by not using this or that, shake my head and order up another box of Silvertips...

jaydubya
October 28, 2007, 11:45 PM
Add me to the Gold Dot crowd. That is what is in my 9mm Hi Power and my wife's Colt Pocket Model .380.
Cordially, Jack

Wild Deuce
October 28, 2007, 11:54 PM
Federal HST (http://www.le.atk.com/pdf/HSTPoliceADLO05lr.pdf) anyone?

GTSteve03
October 28, 2007, 11:57 PM
Federal HST anyone?
+1 or Gold Dots would be my first choice

collector14
October 29, 2007, 12:34 AM
I have a good supply of Silver Tips in almost every caliber I shoot.

Oohrah
October 29, 2007, 02:49 AM
Hydro for right now because they came with the Glock 27. Will
be using the 180 grain Gold Dots for replacements:D

sm
October 29, 2007, 03:06 AM
My take is perhaps old school.
Gun has to run, with mags, and shot placement is the key.
Heck, I often carry hardball .

Now STHP got a bad rap over a famous incident and perhaps was the "excuse" , or "scape goat" for other mis-handled methods in which said incident ended up.

We won't go there, already been done and over done in regard to blaming a "ammo" when so many other factors are to blame too.

And that is the bottom line, putting faith, or blame, into Marketing, be it Mfg or Word of mouth marketing.
It does not matter what a gun , ammo or anything "says" instead what does it actually do for one's self, in one's own hands, and in one's own guns.

Good examples are Big bore guns being sold, and then one sees these guns for sale with a box of ammo with all but 6 ctgs in the box.

Real critters and STHP?

I have and some friends have a Model 64, 3" HB RB. We prefer the 158 gr loadings...158 gr for me, us shoot POA/POI .
The 125 gr STHP is a +P, and being honest, sorta suprised us, this load shot really well in regard to POA/POI for us.
One of the ladies, commented "They look pretty in the charge holes" - well she is correct, they do.

This load, with this gun, put down Cows.
So did a 158 gr LRN from a Colt Detective Special.
I put down a 85# rabid dog with one, with one shot, from about 12 steps, with the 125 gr STHP +P.

9mm, and 115 gr.
Kel-Tec P-11, my gun, put down a cow.
Well I had already proven this load works on ground hogs, and jackrabbits...
So when the fella asked to borrow my gun, with that STHP load, made sense to see, and Investigate and Verify for he, myself and others.

One Deer, hit on the road has been put out misery with this load from a BHP

32ACP, Beretta Tomcat [ Actually the Alleycat] with STHP has also put a deer out of its misery being hit on the two lane blacktop.
Same gun has done this with a Fiocchi hardball load on another deer.

45ACP, 185 gr STHP, less felt recoil, and this loading has felled a cow, and taken a Deer, a Spike, from about 15 steps as the fellow used woodscraft skills to get that close. He fired two shots, well placed and I forget how far, not that far [30 yds?] and deer down.

.357, again, quite a few pests and all taken down in Property duty, with STHP.

Deal is, STHP does seen to work in every platform I have used it in, seen used in.
Also, some of us, and folks mentioned above had results using 158 gr LRN, LSWC, in standard pressure rds, 9mm hardball in 115 and 124 gr, (standard pressure), 45ACP 230 FMJ (standard pressure) , 32ACP FMJ...etc.

Now I/we have nothing against more modern rounds, we have nothing against and in fact have a lot of Respect for those with a LOT of knowledge about bullets and performance, Like Gray Ammo and all he does.

Still the gun has to run, and one has to hit what aiming at, for anything to even begin to give a desired result.

Always been the key - always will be.

Investigate and Verify.

sleeperj21
October 29, 2007, 11:17 PM
How would you rate gold dots to fed hydro shocks

StrikeEagle
October 29, 2007, 11:31 PM
How would you rate gold dots to fed hydro shocks

I like 'em, and that's my choice for a .45acp defense load. :)

HydraShocks were redesigned a few years ago, keeping up with the latest developments and making a good thing better.

I'm sure that Gold Dots are fine, but my guns and I got started with HydraShocks many years ago, and I see no compelling reason to change.

Dallas Jack
October 30, 2007, 09:28 PM
My vote is for Gold Dots.
Dallas Jack

GaryP
October 31, 2007, 12:58 AM
Gold Dot!

:evil:

BlazingAngel01
November 2, 2007, 01:55 AM
god dot

i have it for home defense

147 grain 9 mm

If you enjoyed reading about "Gold Dot or Silver Tip?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!