Saw a .22LR GSW today.

PDA

C-grunt
October 25, 2007, 05:24 AM
So I responded to a call today of a guy who was shot in the head. Show up and this guy got shot through the bridge of the nose "right between the eyes" and exited right in front of his left ear. It then cut a nice clean "U" into his left shoulder approx 2-3 inches long. the man was still conscious though he was kind of passing out every so often. The entrance and exit were pretty small and the doctors believed it to be a .22LR like I suspected.

This was the first time seeing a small caliber GSW and I was amazed at the damage it did. It definitely didnt "stop" the guy as he ran several blocks after being shot but it sure did a lot of damage.

If you enjoyed reading about "Saw a .22LR GSW today." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kimber1911_06238
October 25, 2007, 10:02 AM
ouch. any idea of how far away he was when he got shot?

C-grunt
October 25, 2007, 01:14 PM
Probably pretty close. He was in the middle of some sort of illegal activity when it happened.

boomer1911a1
October 25, 2007, 01:35 PM
How deep was the penetration? Did it just travel under the skin, or -- gah! -- punch through his sinuses?

Silvanus
October 25, 2007, 02:12 PM
So I guess that's another reason to go for COM? The skull is pretty thick and hard...

CajunBass
October 25, 2007, 02:26 PM
It definitely didnt "stop" the guy as he ran several blocks after being shot but it sure did a lot of damage.

Did he stop to beat, the guy who shot him, to death first?

C-grunt
October 26, 2007, 04:23 AM
Im pretty sure it went through his sinuses/ eye socket. No he didnt stop to fight the guy as the "word on the street" is he got shot trying to rob someone.

Technosavant
October 26, 2007, 02:43 PM
So I guess that's another reason to go for COM? The skull is pretty thick and hard...

Another reason is the small area of effect in the cranium. I was at Body Worlds 3 yesterday, and it is amazing how small the brain is in respect to the rest of the body. Sure, it's nice if you can do it, but you're aiming for a small area surrounded by thick and dense bone.

3 gun
October 26, 2007, 03:08 PM
Sounds like a "stop" to me. He stopped trying to rob the guy and started running :neener: I like to call it a stop as long as it stops the guy/gal from doing whatever it was that got them shot at in the first place.

Geronimo45
October 26, 2007, 03:09 PM
The skull is not only thick and hard, it is also sloped. Many times, bullets have been deflected by the slope/angle of the bones - rounds ranging from .22 short to .45 ACP.

The damage even comparatively weak rounds like .22 LR can do is impressive. Such a tiny bullet and small powder load... and the same thing again in a .45. I've punched through an old computer case with .45 hardball. A pretty darn tough case - would've taken me quite a bit of force, or something like a pickaxe, to punch through it like that. Fairly impressive against inanimate things, not so much against living things, it seems.

MrTwigg
October 26, 2007, 03:16 PM
Sounds like enough reason to NOT use a .22 for carry.

obxned
October 26, 2007, 06:29 PM
I would count it as a 'stop'.

Newton
October 26, 2007, 07:57 PM
I'll bet that makes him think twice before he tries to mug the next victim.

.22LR what an incredible little round that is.

If you enjoyed reading about "Saw a .22LR GSW today." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!