No more Makarovs :-(

PDA

lee n. field
October 25, 2007, 09:33 PM
Per George at Makarov.com Arsenal has ceased production (http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=8531).

Just got off the phone with Arsenal in Bulgaria. Today the official announcement was made that Bulgaria (Arsenal) will no longer be manufacturing the Makarov Model pistol, or any variants thereof. Production has already ceased and there are no plans, I was told, to produce any more Makarov Pistols or parts in the future.

Reasons given were changing world markets, increased problems with exporting to various countries, (including the USA) and the decline of the popularity of the 9x18 Makarov Cartridge with militarizes around the globe. It seems when there was a lot of surplus ammo floating around to be had for cheap, lots of countries loved the PM, but now those supplies have all but dried up, and now everyone wants to modernize and go with the 9mm Luger round as standard for sidearms.

So as it now stands, Russian is the only country with the tooling in place to produce the PM, and they can no longer export it to the USA. Better hang on to your Makarov's Guys and Gals, the prices are going to go up. Fast.

Kind of reminds me of when they stopped making the VW Beetle (the real Beetle, with the air cooled engine in back).

(In more ways than one. The last manufactured Beetles were made in Mexico, and they couldn't be imported into the Land 'o the Supposedly Free. Both are technologically funky (air cooled flat four? .365?), ran close to the limit of what their basic design could do, had very long production runs and have lots of loyal fanboys.)

Boldly we move into a cold, sterile future filled with soulless and unlovely plastic WunderNines and Glock Fotays.

If you enjoyed reading about "No more Makarovs :-(" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BamBam-31
October 25, 2007, 09:50 PM
Long live the Fotay! :D

JHansenAK47
October 26, 2007, 12:13 AM
what i never understood is why 380 makarovs did't catch on

Green Lantern
October 26, 2007, 12:28 AM
what i never understood is why 380 makarovs did't catch on

It's a pretty simple conversion from 9 Makarov to .380 isn't it?

Shoot...I can't afford to take on another gun of yet another caliber to "feed," but I *have* .380.

ABTOMAT
October 26, 2007, 12:43 AM
I wonder if we'll now see a wave of surplus Maks as countries clear out the obsolete weapons.

denfoote
October 26, 2007, 06:51 AM
http://usera.imagecave.com/denfoote/NewGrips1.jpg

:( :( :( :(

lee n. field
October 26, 2007, 08:02 AM
It's a pretty simple conversion from 9 Makarov to .380 isn't it?

Barrel swap. Everything else stays exactly the same.

tinygnat219
October 26, 2007, 08:12 AM
Well,
It was foretold that this would happen. However, for those of us that have these pistols. Let's hold onto them!
I am probably going to try and find an armorer's kit somewhere for my two.

Onmilo
October 26, 2007, 09:01 AM
With the gobs of different 9mm Parabellum pistols available, I get the feeling I will soon get over this tragedy,,,,,,:p

MrTuffPaws
October 26, 2007, 09:37 AM
Sad. I have one somewhere. Honestly, I never shoot it. Around here, 9x18 is hard to come by, and my Mak chokes hard on Wolf. Nice pistol though, save for the sights.

CajunBass
October 26, 2007, 09:49 AM
I didn't realize they were still being made anyway.

Ash
October 26, 2007, 10:06 AM
Yeah, considering most Maks coming into the country are surplus military (ironically from Bulgaria these days).

Ash

Harry Paget Flashman
October 26, 2007, 01:38 PM
I'm not worried about a Makarov shortage in my house. I have 3. :)

lee n. field
October 26, 2007, 01:50 PM
I didn't realize they were still being made anyway.

Relatively few of the Arsenal commercial Maks have been imported. If you ever see one with a (ugly, IMHO) square trigger guard -- that's an Arsenal Mak.

kd7nqb
October 26, 2007, 01:55 PM
Not to highjack the thread but does anybody know where I can get the .380 conversion? I googled around and it said Federal Arms (now century) made them but they have been stopped for a few years. Any idea where to pick one up. My Girlfriend loves her Mak but hates the price of 9x18

Nevermind just found one for 40bucks on E-gun parts. Turns out spelling Makarov correctly helps a lot

3fgburner
October 26, 2007, 02:05 PM
First one was an IJ-70. Then found a Bulgie, followed by an East German.

The last one, I was actually going to be good, and buy a .22 for teaching purposes. Went to comparison-shop one more dealer, and saw a Mak with the crappy Bulgarian thumbrest grip. I asked the guy if they were Arsenal Bulgies.

"No", says he, "They're milspec. That one's a 1976".

Ding. Bulgies usually don't have dates. I asked to see the gun, and sure enough, it was stamped "Bulgaria" for an import mark. Then I looked at the factory symbol. It wasn't a bullseye-10. It was a circle with a split triangle. My next comment was,

"Umm, can I have a 4473, please? And a pen?".

The EG and the Soviet are in my gun locker, with historic grips. The Russian (post-Soviet) is tricked out for CCW, and the Bulgie is set up for target.

lee n. field
October 26, 2007, 02:07 PM
Nevermind just found one for 40bucks on E-gun parts. Turns out spelling Makarov correctly helps a lot

They've gone up. I got one from Numrich/gunpartsco a couple years back for something like $15. Still haven't gotten around to installing it.

My Girlfriend loves her Mak but hates the price of 9x18

I don't think .380 is any cheaper.

The_Shootist
October 26, 2007, 04:15 PM
I always thought that this was one of the most underrated pistols for CCW ut there.

I have a Bulgy Mak and never, ever regretted its purchase. with 7+1 rounds in 9x18, it packs (slightly) more punch than a .380, is certainly no worse for self defense than a 5 shot snub (and faster to reload), accurate as hell and tough. Oh yeah....go BANG every time - clean, dirty, wet dry - IT WORKS!

By the same token however, it will be interesting to see what model of 9mm Arsenal starts making, and if we can get our hands on it :D

Newton
October 26, 2007, 05:19 PM
Mine is worn out. The hammer cams off center in DA and one of the frame's feed "spikes" has broken off.

I'll hold on to it for a trade down the road.

obxned
October 26, 2007, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't get too teary-eyed just yet, there have got to be a bazillion ready to be sold as surplus, and such a good, proven design will at some point be manufacured again by somebody, maybe with a lighter frame, interesting options, or even in other calibers.

macadore
October 26, 2007, 07:54 PM
Cuál es un Fotay?

AtticusThraxx
October 26, 2007, 08:24 PM
Just the same, I'm gonna pickup the next good .380 pr 9mm I can find and some parts. Love those little pistols. My Izmech didn't have adjustable sights, that's what I would carry when I go into the city.Accurate, eats anything and keep if you keep it clean, reliable as heck. And you can get some pretty nasty .380 ammo.

JHansenAK47
October 26, 2007, 09:29 PM
What I meant was why didn't the factory made 380 makarovs catch on
I guess they just weren't as cheap as 9x18 pistols

denfoote
October 26, 2007, 11:52 PM
Relatively few of the Arsenal commercial Maks have been imported. If you ever see one with a (ugly, IMHO) square trigger guard -- that's an Arsenal Mak.

Wait a durn minute!!!

My Arsenal Makarov does not have a square trigger guard??
See above!!!

lee n. field
October 27, 2007, 10:50 AM
By golly, you're right. I know the "Special Edition" Arsenal Maks imported by Miltex had a squared trigger guard.

alamo
October 27, 2007, 06:15 PM
Not to highjack the thread but does anybody know where I can get the .380 conversion? I googled around and it said Federal Arms (now century) made them but they have been stopped for a few years. Any idea where to pick one up.

Makarov.com has .380 barrels and a barrel press:

http://www.makarov.com/cart/makbarrel.htm

alamo
October 27, 2007, 06:18 PM
Here are the Arsenal Maks with squared off trigger guards:

http://www.arsenal-bg.com/defense_police/pistols9x17_9x18mm.htm

BamBam-31
October 27, 2007, 07:56 PM
Cuál es un Fotay?

For your viewing pleasure:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=S7ufT_6Kgy0

macadore
October 27, 2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks BamBam

alamo
October 27, 2007, 08:39 PM
I bought a new in box .380 commercial Russian Makarov last month. And I do mean brand new. And it was in the original box. It was imported by Big Bear Arms in Dallas a good number of years ago. A local gunshop had them on consignment, older fella had 2 of them and he was thinning out his collection. He must not have kept up with Mak prices the past few years because it was only $125.

I didn't really need another Mak (I've got an EG and a Bulgarian) but you can't walk away from a deal like that. I'll keep as "as is" for awhile as a back-up.

bluetopper
October 28, 2007, 10:50 AM
I just recieved a Bulgarian Circle 10 Mak. 9x18 cal. I won on auctionarms for $103.50 + shipping and FFL fee.
It was listed as a "Century .380.":D

I have 6 or 7 of them now from a high of a dozen. I once had 5 East Germans.
The prices got too high and I wanted other toys.

Glockorama
October 28, 2007, 11:17 AM
Well, I dunno if it's time to panic or not as there are a lot of Maks out there, but I have noticed the prices increase over the last few years. I like mine and my CZ-82 as well. Get 'em while you can!
http://a898.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/128/l_513215c3b4ffd5e26e41d8d84e5beea9.jpg
http://a697.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/124/l_60f092e1930325abb547e3b56ab1e140.jpg

Glockorama
October 28, 2007, 08:58 PM
By the way, Aim has a great price for (russian) 9x18 hollowpoints for sale.

If you enjoyed reading about "No more Makarovs :-(" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!