i need info on german luger

PDA

mtomlinson
October 25, 2007, 10:23 PM
I am curious as to the estimated value of a pistol my father gave me. Here is what I know. The name on it is GESICHERT. The number under the barrel is 4700 which matches the number on the clip. There is also another number on the handle which matches the case. It is L.D. 238. I have the case, an extra clip and the little tool which also has 238 engraved on it. This is in excellent condition and shoots extremely well. Any info?

If you enjoyed reading about "i need info on german luger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SDC
October 25, 2007, 10:30 PM
You need more info, and preferably pictures; "gesichert" is simply the German word for "secured" (ie. "safe). On a Luger, you need to know who made it (usually marked with a code or crest on the top of the pistol), when it was made (also usually marked with a date code on the top of the pistol), whether or not all the parts match (the REAL serial number is at the front (usually in the form "1234a"), below the barrel, and the other parts should at least share the last two numbers of the real serial number), the barrel length, what sort of sights are on it, and any other markings.

mtomlinson
October 25, 2007, 11:54 PM
there are other markings but i dont know what they are. there is 00 in several places. there is what seems to be symbols of some sort but i dont know what they are. I think my dad got in the war when he was in germany.

XavierBreath
October 26, 2007, 12:07 AM
The value of a German Luger can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand. There are some valued at over a million. What makes the difference is the variation, matching serial numbers (a Luger has plenty), condition, percentage of remaining strawing. Strawing is the yellowish heat treatment given to the trigger, takedown lever, magazine release, thumb safety and the ejector.

Without pictures, it is impossible to say what your Luger is worth. With pictures, it is difficult, simply because the pistol requires a hands on evaluation to accurately estimate what it might bring in the marketplace. Most collectors will be interested in a Luger that is all matching with at least 60% original finish. Anything else is considered a shooter.

Due to the risk of breaking a numbered part, collector grade Lugers are not usually shot anymore. One broken numbered part is irreplaceable, and can turn a $1500 pistol into a $500 pistol.

The Luger Forum (http://www.lugerforum.com/) is a great information source. Do absolutely nothing with your Luger until you go there and fully explore the website. Ask questions on the forum. Post a few pictures. The knowledge base there is the finest available. You may even find a collector in your area who will give you a hands on appraisal for the joy of examining your pistol.

Here's my old 1910 Pistole Parabellum.
http://www.bayourovers.com/WaltherP1and1910LUGERsmallfile.jpg

230RN
October 26, 2007, 01:52 AM
Xavier Breath, that pic of the Luger got me all hornified and bonerized.

Good thing the weekend is so close.

denfoote
October 26, 2007, 07:08 AM
GESICHERT is the german word for "made safe"

238 is the last three (I believe) digits of the serial number.

The Luger was largely a hand made weapon and they specially made and fit the parts (and spares) and serialized them to the gun.

Some pics of the top strap such as this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/denfoote/1917Erfurt1.jpg

And the side...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/denfoote/1917Erfurt3.jpg

...would be helpfull!!!

The guys over at LF are going to want the same thing, probably higher res, and shots of all sides, front and back.

One other thing.
If your dad brought it home from WW2, then it's probably a Mauser.

If you enjoyed reading about "i need info on german luger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!