Springfield 1911 A1 vs Taurus PT 1911

PDA

dubious
October 26, 2007, 04:41 PM
I'm trying to decide on this one... the Springfield seems like the nicer brand, but which is the better gun?

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield 1911 A1 vs Taurus PT 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
possum
October 26, 2007, 04:46 PM
out of all the reviews of the taurus 1911's they have been great and everyone likes them, but at the same time the same is true about sa 1911's i have a sa 1911 and i love it though i haven't had it that long and haven't shot it that much i have experience with other sa 1911's and i have never been dissapointed.

another big factor for me is that sa takes care of thier customers and they do it right the 1st time and in a timely manner. so i am partial to sa, which i now own 3 sa pistols, they have been great for me in the past and i will forever be a sa owner.

taurus has a lifetime warranty but getting work done often takes a long time, which is not the case with sa.

i would go with the sa

MICHAEL T
October 26, 2007, 06:04 PM
Springfield wins on Warrenty Service alone. Its a + that its a much better pistol to start with.

Texastbird
October 26, 2007, 07:40 PM
Feature for feature, the Taurus blows the Springfield out of the water. I've never had to send any gun I own in for service, so I can't comment on that. But as good as my PT1911 has been I don't forsee needing much in the way of factory support.

GunNut
October 26, 2007, 07:56 PM
Springfield Armory.

As feature packed as the Taurus is, still at the end of the day it is a TAURUS.

Walkalong
October 26, 2007, 09:16 PM
Springfield, unless you just want to save a little money, and then I still would say, Springfield. :)

10-Ring
October 27, 2007, 01:57 AM
Seeing that the Taurus is not approved in CA & that I'm not a fan of Taurus anyway, I'd go w/ a Springfield

Ala Dan
October 27, 2007, 08:22 AM
I voted for the Springfield all the way on this one; as they are among
some of the finest pistols made by Imbel of Brazil~! :scrutiny: ;)

JDGray
October 27, 2007, 09:19 AM
I voted SA, no knocks on Taurus, probably come from the same foundry in Brazil. Both still American made, just South:D

AirForceShooter
October 27, 2007, 10:37 AM
Nothing. Absolutely nothing beats Springfields warranty service.

AFS

jad0110
October 27, 2007, 10:57 AM
I've heard a lot of good stuff about both guns, so I think either would be fine in that regard. If you can give a few more specifics about what you are looking for, we may be able to point you to a a few specific models. For example, what is your budget (if you don't mind me asking) and what will this 1911 be used for (concealed carry, range fun only, home defense, competition, etc)? What features are you interested in?

I do agree with others on customer services differences between SA and Taurus. This is an area that SA holds a clear edge. Though I've never used SA's customer service, everything I hear about them makes me conclude that they are second to none. I have used Tauri's customer service, and was so disappointed by they way my problems were handled that I later wished I had just taken my 94 to local gunsmith for service.

FYI, I own a SA 1911 Mil-Spec that I bought NIB for $525 plus tax. A good price for a Mil-Spec, though you may be able to do better. It was pretty reliable out-of-the box; but it runs perfectly after swapping out the mag springs for Wolff 11 pounders and putting in a Wilson Combat Bulletproof extractor.

One fairly consistent complaint I hear about the no frills SA 1911s like the GI and Mil-Spec is that they have crummy triggers. Mine was no exception. It had a ton of creep and was very rough. I had a reputable gunsmith do a trigger job on it and the pull is very good now, right at about 4.5 smooth pounds pounds and no creep.

Good luck in your decision - let us know what you decide!

Springfield Armory 1911 Mil-Spec, 45 ACP

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Springfield%20M1911A1%20Mil-Spec%2045%20ACP/IMG_5503.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Springfield%20M1911A1%20Mil-Spec%2045%20ACP/IMG_5541.jpg

raveneap
October 27, 2007, 03:13 PM
I've got both; a SA Full Size Custom Loaded and a Taurus PT1911. The Taurus has many more "extras" than the SA. The SA has outstanding Custromer service. Both have done really well when I've had them out in the field. The SA is at least half again the cost of the Taurus although the Taurus cost seems to be rising daily.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/raveneap/DSC06867c-2.jpg?t=1193508374

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/raveneap/DSC00079photo.jpg?t=1193508454

sb350hp
October 27, 2007, 03:50 PM
If you are talking just a mil spec sa I would go with the Taurus. More features, better sights, ton o options. I own a PT1911 and love it.

My thinkin on this is "it's a 1911 I am not sendin it out to be fixed, parts are excessivly available and so are good tuners, (well at least for me).

I would go with the Taurus. Reliability is not an issue. Taurus just has earned a bad rep becuase of thier past. Currently they seem to be building fine firearms.

Mainiac
October 28, 2007, 12:30 PM
I own 6 Kimbers, 2 SA's, and a High Standard. I was contemplating the purchase of another Kimber when I decided to try the Taurus. It's every bit as fine a pistol as my Kimbers. Extremely accurate, it will eat ANYTHING you feed it and all at a very competative price.

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield 1911 A1 vs Taurus PT 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!