pocket lint and the kel-tec pf-9. and do you keep it cocked or not?

PDA

cajun47
October 26, 2007, 11:39 PM
i carry my pf-9 all day every day in my pocket and i notice a good bit of lint all over it(the rails, the hammer, ect). i kinda blow it off. should i be field stripping and cleaning it?

also i never carry it chambered in my pocket like that unless i feel im in a high danger area. so its unchambered 99% of the time, should it be uncocked(dry fired) or it makes little difference?

If you enjoyed reading about "pocket lint and the kel-tec pf-9. and do you keep it cocked or not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
obxned
October 26, 2007, 11:42 PM
I would never carry it without one ready to go. If you should ever need it, time is not your friend.

MICHAEL T
October 26, 2007, 11:47 PM
don't worry about the lint. Itmight be better if you cleaned your pocket now and then.Also use a pocket holster if you aren't
If you don't start chambering a round you may not need to worry about the lint. BG don't wait for you to load.

tnieto2004
October 26, 2007, 11:50 PM
isn't the Kel-tec DAO??? My p11 is .. there is no need to dry fire if it is DAO

The Lone Haranguer
October 27, 2007, 12:05 AM
I don't know how lint would affect a pistol and am not willing to find out. ;) Why take a chance? Use a pocket holster. A Mika -- the best I've used so far -- is only about $20. http://www.frontiernet.net~akim

If I understand the PF9's operation correctly, it is a double-action-only and is never "cocked" in the conventional sense. You have to pull the trigger all the way through its stroke to complete the "cocking" process. Also, to carry a gun with an empty chamber is a contradiction in terms, IMO. If not loaded it is little more than a bludgeon or throwing object.

karz10
October 27, 2007, 01:09 AM
+1 to all of the above

pocket holster

chambered

rinse repeat

karz

jakeswensonmt
October 27, 2007, 01:26 AM
If you don't start chambering a round you may not need to worry about the lint. BG don't wait for you to load.

Bad guy may also grab one of your arms, or you could be wounded in the arm or hand. Hard to rack that slide one-handed...

Put one in the pipe.

Boarhunter
October 27, 2007, 11:07 AM
I carry mine all the time in a DeSantis pocket holster. Loaded to capacity, including a chambered round. The lint, though present, has not been a problem for me.

Boarhunter

Nikdfish
October 27, 2007, 11:25 AM
You really shouldn't dry fire the PF-9 without a snap cap in place. There is a specific warning to that effect in the manual. With repeated dry firing, you can end up damaging the firing pin retention screw (the extractor screw) which is not a good thing (worst case might be loss or breakage of the pin). There is not enough spring tension with a set hammer to worry about anyway!

FWIW, I always carry one in the spout. The DAO action is your safety, just like with a revolver with all chambers loaded. Any decent pocket holster should keep the barrel free of trash. A little light lint between periodic cleanings shouldn't prevent proper operation (never has with mine, I generally fire what I'm carrying "as is" any time I'm at the range as a peace of mind thing ... ).

Nick

sm
October 27, 2007, 11:26 AM
No experience with PF-9

I suggest folks shoot CCW guns, just as they are CCW-ed, to know for themselves what their guns will do.

I do this, will all CCWs. Just show up, shoot as I have been carrying, as do most folks I know.

P-11 is similar. We have a couple of folks that CCW P-11s, one does Drywall, another a Painter, and one a Carpenter.

Drywall owner's gun, is basically white when he removes from pocket or IWB holsters. Big pockets in those painter pants, and shirt is worn not tucked. [it is going to un-tuck anyway in his work.]
He removes his P-11 and dust flies everywhere!
He sweats, so he uses a different holster each day. Multiples of same holster.

His P-11 is always chambered and ready to shoot, and his will shoot, with dust flying, even the spare mag.
NO Fluff and Buff.

All he does is take an air hose,/canned air, blow out most days, and when he thinks about it, step out back, shoot Carry loads, blow out, sometimes actually take apart, still just blow out add lube and not worry about it.

Ditto for Painter and Carpenter.

Who has time to chamber a round with a tool in one hand, threat to contend with? I don't, they don't.

cajun47
November 3, 2007, 07:29 AM
well i guess i'll have to carry it chambered!

If you enjoyed reading about "pocket lint and the kel-tec pf-9. and do you keep it cocked or not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!