Social experiment: Sport Utility Rifle

PDA

Kobun
January 9, 2003, 09:20 PM
As a pure social experiment, lets see how we 2829+ members at THR can manipulate the gun world when it comes to how semi autos and other guns are perceved by "the public".
Names as assult-, sniper-, tactical- rifle are easy to see in a negative way.

Use the name SPORT UTILITY RIFLE for all semi auto rifles, AR's, AK's, HK's etc.
And PRECISON- or SHARP SHOOTER- RIFLE instead of sniper- and tactical- rifles.

I don't like to be too PC, but the way things are with the anti's and the media today... :uhoh:

If we all can get 10 others to use these names (names that WE choose, not what the media and the anti's choose!), this could spread fast.

I have changed the words I use myself, and I try to get friends along.
Join me! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Social experiment: Sport Utility Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blades67
January 9, 2003, 09:40 PM
I'm with ya.:cool:

MessedUpMike
January 9, 2003, 09:43 PM
It's a funny idea, but I don't think it'll help any.

FPrice
January 9, 2003, 09:51 PM
Those who know do not need another term.

Those who do not know probably won't listen.

Standing Wolf
January 9, 2003, 09:55 PM
I think we should probably check with the assault lawyers before we proceed.

AZTOY
January 9, 2003, 09:57 PM
Use the name SPORT UTILITY RIFLE

Sorry but the antis do not like SUVS.:cuss: SPORT UNILITY RIFLE sound to close to Sport Utility Vehicles .:(

I like "Homeland Defense Rifles "

4v50 Gary
January 9, 2003, 10:10 PM
Don't like SUV (call 'em 4x4 or 4 wheel drives). SUR, well, I'd rather call them ADA guns (Americans with Disability Act) because they are the "reasonable accommodation" required by some Americans. That's exactly why we have pig-stickers on them - to ward off angry pigs that we don't kill with our first shot. Flashsuppressor - well, they help preserve our vision but more importantly, help us cope with that slamming recoil of the .223. We need those evil features. Have your doctor prescribe one for you today. :)

DMK
January 9, 2003, 10:24 PM
Sport Utility Rifle, Home Defense Rifle, Homeland Security Rifle, almost anything but a term containing the words assault, or sniper are a step in the right direction IMHO.

Skunkabilly
January 9, 2003, 10:56 PM
THen the econazis will take my SUR and slap a bumper sticker on it saying how my buying ammo supports terrorism!

Desertdog
January 28, 2003, 11:38 PM
Since the military looking rifles, in the eyes of the anti-gun crowd, has no good sporting value, let's call them Target Practice Tools.

DeltaElite
January 28, 2003, 11:48 PM
I love it :D

10-Ring
January 28, 2003, 11:49 PM
It's all about perception & value. Just like sales, you throw enough ideas out there some of them stick!

I'm w/ ya!

cracked butt
January 28, 2003, 11:55 PM
how about shoulder mounted pressure cookers?

NewShooter78
January 28, 2003, 11:59 PM
Not too bad of an idea, but a gun by another name is still a gun, and since a gun grabber is still out to grab a gun then it really doesn't matter to them. But I'll see if I can give it a try with a few of my fence sitting friends and see how it goes. If all goes well then I'll try it on some anti's I know as well. But the outlook isn't good considering a discusion the other night with another shooting enthusiast friend of mine. I was telling him how one day I want to buy a .50 bmg "sniper" rifle, and he actually said why in the world would you need something like that? :what: So even gun owners are falling prey to the anti message.

Standing Wolf
January 29, 2003, 12:23 AM
I've been using the term "assault lawyer" for about a year now. I've noticed several people have followed suit.

TearsOfRage
January 29, 2003, 12:33 AM
I like the term civil defense. I have a self defense handgun, and a civil defense rifle.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
January 29, 2003, 01:30 AM
I mostly call my black rifle "stress management".

Regards,
Rabbit.

"If we could just get everyone to close their eyes and visualize world
peace for an hour, imagine how serene and quiet it would be until
the looting started..."

January 29, 2003, 01:33 AM
I like the term. I am going to start using it instead of AR15. The term sums that rifle up very nicely. I really don't care what the antis like or don't like. I do care what I like.

Blackhawk
January 29, 2003, 01:37 AM
Kel-Tec's leading the way by naming it's new rifle SU-16 (Sport Utility -16).

Schuey2002
January 29, 2003, 01:54 AM
Sounds good,Kobun. :D

Kaylee
January 29, 2003, 02:27 AM
If you hang out with the real neat ol' fuddy-duddys you start callin' 'em "service rifles." Sounds real respectable, don't it? :p

-K

BamBam-31
January 29, 2003, 03:27 AM
Blackhawk beat me to it. :fire:

Kel-tec's calling their new rifle a sport utility. Let's see if it has any effect, eh?

Marshall
January 29, 2003, 03:47 AM
I like SCR's! Small Critter Rifles :D

Triad
January 29, 2003, 04:14 AM
If we all can get 10 others to use these names (names that WE choose, not what the media and the anti's choose!), this could spread fast.
The problem is that the media won't go along with it. I've never met anyone that uses the term "sexual assault" instead of rape, but the media uses it all the time. The media will continue to call them whatever they please and those people that form their opinions from what the media tells them will use those terms. The only real solution is to get them to think for themselves, but I don't think a simple change of terminology will do that.

hondo68
January 29, 2003, 04:15 AM
"Tyrant killing tool" sounds good to me.

Legionnaire
January 29, 2003, 08:34 AM
"SUV" stands for "Sport Utility Vehicle?"

I thought it was "Suburban Ussault Vehicle!" :D

Ryder
January 29, 2003, 08:38 AM
I think we do contribute to poor public perception if we use dangerous sounding speech. It is the anti's "assault weapon" ban! Not mine. Winning minds is part of the game these antis are playing.

I see a lot of people here like calling their guns "WEAPONS". No wonder the general public thinks guns are ONLY good for killing people. If that's what it's for then ok. My CCW gun is a "self defense weapon" (even though I have only ever shot paper with it). But by and large I just prefer to just call my guns "firearms" or "guns"... Though, I must admit to a fondness for the term boomstick. :D

Perhaps using the term "weapons" is an attempt to instill a respect for the firearm so as to better avoid accidental discharges? Or maybe people like to use the term to impress others? "I have a weapon" sounds pretty big and bad. That's all I can think the word might be good for unless you are current military, police, or a bad guy.

The weapon (as is the safety) lies within the mind. How about calling them Kinetic Thought Transmitters? ;) Naw, that wouldn't work. The antis would soon call them thought transmuters.

Monte Harrison
January 29, 2003, 10:08 AM
So we "spin" the names we put on our toys?
Well, go ahead, I guess it is harmless. It seems a little silly, and probably won't really help, but whatever.

You know what, on second thought, dammit, NO! I'm sick to death of having so many words declared off limits, and having to watch and weigh so carefully everything I say to avoid making someone else offended and uncomfortable! All the "spin" has given me motion sickness!

cheygriz
January 29, 2003, 11:46 AM
Kobun,

Good idea. I like Homeland Defense Weapon better, but your idea has merit.

BTW: Has anyone thought about calling them "Peacekeepres?"

After all, who could possibly oppose "peace?"

gun-fucious
January 29, 2003, 12:01 PM
So what "sporting purpose" does a SUR serve?

Desertdog
January 29, 2003, 02:16 PM
I like Peacekeeper.
To me, Homeland Defense Weapon sounds a little strong.
How about Homeland Defense Rifle and Homeland Defense Pistol?
The media likes 'weapon' because it conjures up a very negative war related picture.

Travis McGee
January 29, 2003, 02:31 PM
It might not help much, but why the hell not give it a try? I like it!

T.Stahl
January 29, 2003, 03:13 PM
After thinking about it, I think my newly acquired SL8 fits quite nicely the description of SUR. It's accurate enough and has a decent enough trigger and recoil to be used for sports and recreational shooting, while still being versatile enough to come in handy in any emergency situation as a utility rifle. :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Social experiment: Sport Utility Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!