Do Cosmetic Blemishes Bother You?

PDA

Tecolote
October 27, 2007, 12:08 PM
Do cosmetic blemishes bother you when you buy something NIB? Imperfections in the finish or machining marks cause some people headaches but other people could care less. Where do you stand?

If you enjoyed reading about "Do Cosmetic Blemishes Bother You?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ronwill
October 27, 2007, 12:12 PM
While it wouldn't send me into a fit, when I buy something new I prefer it to look new.

jrfoxx
October 27, 2007, 12:27 PM
It would really depend on how much the gun cost, but mostly what I planned to use it for.If its a carry or hunting gun, it wouldn't be a big deal, a I'm likely to put my own dings and wear on it anyways.

BridgeWalker
October 27, 2007, 12:29 PM
I prefer not to buy new because it bugs me to buy something flawed new, but I don't mind cosmetic blemishes and actually prefer one or two; makes me less touchy about messing it up myself. So, I buy used. Not a single gun purchased new in this house.

Brian Williams
October 27, 2007, 01:59 PM
Nope, adds to Character

The Bushmaster
October 27, 2007, 02:02 PM
If that's how they feel about the outside of their product then I wonder how the inside looks...

Tecolote
October 27, 2007, 03:41 PM
My buddy passed on a smoking deal on a NIB G26 because of minor cosmetic blemishes, one on the finish and some nearly undetectable machining marks on the slide's gripping grooves. You've got to hold the G26 just right to see the finish blemish and you can't see the machining marks unless you hold the slide nearly to your nose. He passed on it but I'm going to snatch it up.

chris in va
October 27, 2007, 04:06 PM
I like buying used. Triggers are smoother, springs are worked in, bugs usually weeded out. I even like the holster wear.

Starter52
October 27, 2007, 04:27 PM
They drive me nutz. If I'm buying NIB I expect it to be perfect. Even when I buy used I'll pass up a gun with blemishes. "Honest wear" I don't mind.

Snubby 38
October 27, 2007, 04:50 PM
I'm afflicted with perfectionism... If there's a blemish on the the gun, my eyes go right to it. If I had a dollar for every smeared screw that I've replaced, I could retire five years early. It must be in the genes.

nwilliams
October 27, 2007, 05:07 PM
I certainly want my new guns to be in brand new condition, no rust, no scratches, even bluing or parkerizing. I inspect each gun cosmetically before I buy.

I don't care how other people treat their guns, but I do NOT treat my guns like tools.

That said....

I think is some cases the well used look does work, I have an AK that isn't in great cosmetic condition but it adds character to it. I also don't mind surplus guns that have a used look, I sometimes will refinish the stock and clean off the tarnish from the metal but they don't have to be mint.

So I guess I have mixed feelings on cosmetic condition, new guns I certainly want in mint condition. Used guns.....methinks it depends on the gun:rolleyes:

El Tejon
October 27, 2007, 05:49 PM
No, however I always kick the firearm to the car after I purchase it.:D

fastbolt
October 27, 2007, 06:05 PM
Less so if the firearm is being used as a defensive weapon. Tools pick up enough markings during normal activities that they quickly enough acquire that 'used patina'.

Now, if it were a firearm being purchased for the simple pleasure of ownership, including the reasonable meaning of 'pride-of-ownership', or a collectible ... then yes, cosmetic blemishes bother me.

Now, when I say this I'm thinking of a nicely done collectible firearm like something from the Colt Custom Shop. A beautiful SA revolver, for example.

An ordinary service-grade 'working gun' like a S&W, Glock, Sig Sauer, HK or Beretta defensive sidearm, though? Not hardly. ;)

I'll admit it was a bit of a shock to see so many scratched, nicked, battered (worn bluing, with some rust spots & chipped grips) issued blued Colt Pythons in duty holsters back when I was a new cop, though. :D

The Lone Haranguer
October 27, 2007, 09:00 PM
I can live with very minor imperfections, on lower-priced guns. If it is an expensive gun I expect it to be flawless. This is with new guns, mind you.

Lonestar49
October 27, 2007, 09:13 PM

The first scratch, or imperfection, you usually see after seeing it, buying it, picking it up, looking at it again, then taking it home, and during the first cleaning, :what:

Then the first hurt, the deepest, is over, and it becomes a working gun, in my book with, as mentioned, character.. :)

And gives one reason and, hope, down the long road, of usage, of a beautiful re-finish, with some possible "improvements" you have garnered and thought; "that's how I want mine to look like.. one day"

Ls

Shipwreck
October 27, 2007, 09:33 PM
Yes, as said above - I expect it to be perfect when NIB - I skipped buying a USP 45 today at a large gunshow because the 2 vendors that had them had marked up guns.

I'm not gonna spend that much for a gun marked up.

trickyasafox
October 27, 2007, 10:27 PM
I don't mind at all, blemishes usually get you discounts, and besides every firearm i own gets shot. they are gonna get knicks and scratches anyway. heck i don't even need a big discount. if i was going for a pistol or rifle that had some minor cosmetic defects, i could probably be won over with a free box of shells or two. that would actually probably appease me right into a moderate aesthetic defect.

The Lone Haranguer
October 27, 2007, 10:30 PM
My buddy passed on a smoking deal on a NIB G26 because of minor cosmetic blemishes, one on the finish and some nearly undetectable machining marks on the slide's gripping grooves. You've got to hold the G26 just right to see the finish blemish and you can't see the machining marks unless you hold the slide nearly to your nose. He passed on it but I'm going to snatch it up.

That kind would not bother me, even if I did notice it.

WSM MAGNUM
October 27, 2007, 10:38 PM
Yes, imperfections bother me. If the gun is NIB, I want it to be flawless for as long as I can keep it that way. Normal wear over the years I can live with, but scratches that I put on it from goofing up something will nag on me. Same way for a used gun, if it has just slight normal wear on the finish it willbe fine with me, but not scratches and dings.

RyanM
October 27, 2007, 10:50 PM
Depends on how much I'm paying for it. If it's a $450 Glock, I'm not going to care a whole lot about the finish, as long as it shoots. But if it's a $3,000 custom 1911, that thing had better be absolutely spotless on every single surface.

1911Tuner
October 28, 2007, 08:45 AM
As long as it's not a huge dent or a ragged edge that would cut me to the bone or something that would interfere with function...No. Minor cosmetic issues like finish are only a bargaining chip. I buy'em to use. Won't be long before they've got several flaws in the finish. :D

Old Fuff
October 28, 2007, 08:58 AM
The Old Fuff says yes and no... :evil: :D

I seldom buy new guns. When I do I expect them to be right. Too many manufacturers are charging too much, and then putting out sloppy work. I don't go for a "so what" attitude on their part.

Used guns are another matter. Used guns should be in perfect mechanical shape (or be able to be made so) and have clean bores and chambers. If the exterior finish is worn it is most likely to get more so as time and additional use goes on. A bright blue never made a gun shoot any better, but of course it sometimes makes an owner feel better.

Anyway, to each his own.

Mad Magyar
October 28, 2007, 09:52 AM
A recent acquisition of a Series 80 Colt from a friend was in superb conditon, except for a slight mark near the slide stop--the dreaded "i#@%T mark".
I ragged the hell out of him, but like most: denied culpability and blamed it on the mfgr, his lost cousin, etc...I laughed like hell....:)

AndyC
October 28, 2007, 11:29 AM
I want it perfect mechanically - doesn't bother me what it looks like as long as it works.

jfh
October 28, 2007, 11:47 AM
I generally buy only new guns--simply because I'm too insecure about my used-gun buying skills to properly assess the item.

I got going with S&W revolvers this year--and I was unable to find a 640 that had a good SS finish on the frame. They all looked liked they'd been buffed by the "...I got it get this done..." worker, and the flaws ranged from unevenness at the top strap on back to a blemish in the blasting process.
Since I intended this one to be a shooter and carry gun, it didn't bother me.
I checked out the action and the fit and chose the one that seemed best to me.

But, when I impulsively bought a Kimber 10mm Stainless Target II, I looked closely at the finish and fit. Since it was virtually flawless, that added to the desire.

The M&P340 I carry was finished and fit to high standards, and that may have been "...blind pig" luck. It's carried daily, in a Mika holster and has been shot about 500-600 times so far. Dings on that one I will accept, but so far there are none--only a couple of minor wear marks, and the DLC finish is just fine.

So, I guess I have some sort 'ultilitarian aesthetic'--carry guns should have their experiences showing, I think.

Jim H.

Flame Red
October 28, 2007, 07:36 PM
Life is too short to shoot an ugly gun.

Floppy_D
October 28, 2007, 07:51 PM
Blemished doesn't make it ugly. I'll carry my P229 in any aesthetic shape, and it'll still be sexy.

1911Tuner
October 28, 2007, 07:51 PM
Life is too short to shoot an ugly gun.

Ugly is as ugly does...

1911Tuner
October 28, 2007, 08:20 PM
Blemished doesn't make it ugly. I'll carry my P229 in any aesthetic shape, and it'll still be sexy.

There ya go! Beauty bein' in the eye of the beholder and all...I think an old Black Army Colt with about 2/3rds of the finish gone and a few dings here and there is a purty sweet gal. Carried one many times.

10-Ring
October 29, 2007, 12:56 AM
Depends on the blem & the size of the discount

Gustav
October 29, 2007, 02:10 AM
Only if it were on a high end gun or a gun purchased more as a collectors piece yes.

If it is a firearm that is going to eventually have marks or scratches then no not really as some things can be touched up or at worst they add character to a working rig.

Kimber1911_06238
October 29, 2007, 08:29 AM
I don't mind dings or scratches that I make when hunting, but if I'm buying NIB....it better be perfect or I'm asking to knock a few bucks off the price

1911Tuner
October 29, 2007, 08:50 AM
I don't mind dings or scratches that I make when hunting, but if I'm buying NIB....it better be perfect or I'm asking to knock a few bucks off the price

Well...There's a matter of ethics for me. If I'm eyeballin' a gun which is destined for "Beater" status...I might ask a dealer to eat all or part of the sales tax...or if it's a private sale...a box of ammo, or some such. I mean...if I'm just gonna beat on it, it's not gonna be very pretty for very long. Why bust the guy's chops over it?

10X
October 29, 2007, 09:55 AM
If the gun is new and being sold as new, I would expect it to be blemish free.
Otherwise, you might as well go the used route and use any blems as negotiation points.

waterhouse
October 29, 2007, 10:24 AM
I try not to buy new guns just for this reason.

I don't really care what the guns look like, but I do hate it when they get that first mark/blemish. Thinking back, I think I've only owned maybe 2 new guns anyway, but I know all the marks on them are from me, and still feel a little sheepish about the marks.

I'd rather just buy it used with some character and then I can use it without worrying about adding more character.

saltydog452
October 29, 2007, 10:41 AM
I don't mind dings and such...as long as a) they were disclosed, or b) I put them there.

'Well used' doesn't bother me a bit.

salty.

foghornl
October 29, 2007, 10:44 AM
No....I don't buy a gun to be the 'safe queen', I buy it to be a shooter.

But I have been known to bargain it down a few bucks due to 'shelf marks'

BTW, both of my 1911's have the "Idiot Mark"...installed by ME!

novaDAK
October 29, 2007, 11:10 AM
I think I've only bought three NIB guns so far. The rest are used. I actually prefer it if the used gun I'm looking at has a few blemishes, because it takes the pressure off of me with babying it. My couple NIB guns I have I overly take care of because I don't want them to get any imperfections. My used ones (except for a few that were pretty much in NIB condition) I shoot the most because I don't have to worry as much about getting a scratch or nick on them.
Actually I shoot them all still and love 'em all the same or else I wouldn't still keep the other ones... :)

RevolvingCylinder
October 29, 2007, 11:27 AM
Only if the price accounts for it.

Ghost Walker
October 29, 2007, 11:35 AM
Only if it's something really expensive like a Belgian Browning, or if the gun is brand spanking new. Otherwise, I seldom care; anything you use frequently and well is bound to start showing its age.

possum
October 29, 2007, 01:30 PM
Do cosmetic blemishes bother you when you buy something NIB?
yes, however on my carry guns and the guns that i run hard and train hard with than no it dosen't bother me but if a new gun of mine gets dlemishes i want to be the one to put them on there.

Hokkmike
October 29, 2007, 02:06 PM
Guns have beauty. Blemishes may distract from that. I can tolerate only a very small blemish on a newly acquired firearm.

CoRoMo
October 29, 2007, 05:23 PM
Depends on how much I spent on that gun.
I don't want a new gun to have any blemish at all.
I prefer that used guns be blemish free too, but I'll pay for what I get.

IndianaBoy
October 29, 2007, 09:40 PM
Not anymore.

My guns are working guns. Not museum pieces.

Either for the woods, target range, carry, or IPSC match.... anything that gets used is going to acquire character. Trying to prevent it just leads to frustration. I take great care of my firearms.... but character marks is part of it. It sure makes handling them a lot less stressful. I would probably freak out a bit if my nicer rifles got dropped on concrete though........

Elm Creek Smith
November 3, 2007, 02:17 AM
Honest wear on a used gun is not a cosmetic blemish. I passed on a blued Taurus 85UL at a gun show when I found where someone had obviously gone to sleep while polishing the cylinder between two flutes and left two or three...well, divots is all I can come up with. Granted, they were highly polished divots, but I don't golf. The dealer didn't have any others and wouldn't come down off the price at all. I passed. The next business day at my regular gun dealer's emporium, I found a slightly used 85SSUL for less money and snatched it up. It has some marks on it, but no divots.

Please don't take this as a "Taurus bashing," because this is the third Taurus I've owned and my brother carries his PT111 more than his Kimber ProCarry II. I had to return a S&W Model 629 because the barrel was turning while I was shooting it. I don't bash them either.

ECS

Matt304
November 3, 2007, 02:58 AM
I really do not like any marks whatsoever. I won't buy used unless perfect. I just think if anything is to happen to the condition while in my possesion, the gun at least has to start clean. Otherwise, I'm behind from the getgo. NIB with marks and I would be swearing to myself. Unless it is something very, very small, it would bother me.

JohnKSa
November 3, 2007, 03:28 AM
Depends on the blemish and the gun.

Honest wear marks on a working gun don't bother me. Evidence of buffoonery does.

Some of my guns aren't working guns and I don't want them blemished at all.

TIMC
November 4, 2007, 04:12 PM
Only the first scratch hurts! If I get a little discount for one being on the gun then great. I don't think any of my shooters make it through life without some sort of little ding or scratch, as long as they work!

Nil
November 4, 2007, 05:20 PM
I can handle very minor imperfections but the only substantial ones I want on my guns should come from myself.

Ala Dan
November 4, 2007, 06:14 PM
I won't lie, YES they do bother me bit~! :scrutiny:

If the blem is only minor, and in a inconspicous place it probably would not
keep me from purchasing the piece~? OTOH, significant blems can be a
sure sign of neglect, or abuse too any handgun. There are certain things
that only an experienced, veteran handgunner knows to look for when
purchasing used firearms. As an example, I got burned one time on an
internet transaction; buying a used S&W 6" model 28-2 sight unseen
from a dealer in Illinois. The firearm was advertised as being in absolute
98%+ N.R.A. condition; and from an outward appearance, it appeared
as just that~!

But, upon filling each chamber with loaded .357 magnum ammo- the
hand (for like of a better term?), failed to rotate the cylinder. :eek:
I din't discover this fact, until way beyond my alloted 3 day inspection;
so as it turned out, there was nothing I could do. Needless to say, I
was pissed;but I learned a vey valuable lesson. Instead, I documented
the needed repairs, and sold it for 'bout 1/2 the price I paid; and the
new owner was tickeled~! Took those funds, and mustered up a few
more $$$- and bought a NIB 6" Smith & Wesson 686-5 .357 magnum.
Being that all I use this gun for is Postal Pistol Matches, I NEVER even
looked back~! ;) :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Do Cosmetic Blemishes Bother You?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!