Would these signs offend you?

PDA

bogie
October 27, 2007, 03:09 PM
I'm thinking that some business owners need to have something to keep nervous soccer mommies happy...

And I'm wondering if the other would be a good idea for some gun stores...

If you enjoyed reading about "Would these signs offend you?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tnieto2004
October 27, 2007, 03:12 PM
They don't offend me..

Chipperman
October 27, 2007, 03:37 PM
I would not be offended, because they clearly would not apply to me.

The illegal gun part, though, is silly. If they're already breaking the law, what good is a sign?

TCB in TN
October 27, 2007, 03:39 PM
I would not be offended, because they clearly would not apply to me.

The illegal gun part, though, is silly. If they're already breaking the law, what good is a sign?

I completely agree!

Creature
October 27, 2007, 03:40 PM
Nope..not offensive to my senses.

bogie
October 27, 2007, 03:45 PM
Guys, the signs are not about reality. They're about making someone who expects them feel good... I mean, my bank literally has a sign at the front that basically says "please remove ski masks, hats and sunglasses before entering."

It's about psych.

AirForceShooter
October 27, 2007, 03:51 PM
I'm in Florida.
what sign.
I never read any signs. Except maybe the one that says SALE.

AFS

hexidismal
October 27, 2007, 03:57 PM
you know what ... If the first of those two signs was posted somewhere, I bet you could pick out all the legal concealed carriers as the people who stopped to read it.

Taurus 66
October 27, 2007, 03:58 PM
No offense taken. I'd still carry concealed (and loaded) while on the premises. I'm not one to go, "Oh Golly Gee" to such a sign and part with my weapon. If no hell breaks loose, which is the case in 9,999 times out of a 10,000, there will be no need for an unholstering and a point to target. If all hell breaks loose and all other conditions are right, I will unholster, point, and do what is necessary to stop any threat, whether it be unto me, my family, friends, or innocent stranger(s). It's just plain common sense.

bogie
October 27, 2007, 04:21 PM
T66... NOBODY was asking you to part with a weapon... I do signage and stuff, and I know that more than a few folks who run gun shops are a little leery of people walking in with loaded boomsticks and then waving the darn things around...

Sheesh.

FieroCDSP
October 27, 2007, 04:26 PM
One of my favorite dealers has a sign that says something to the effect of "Concealed carry weapons must remain concealed." They allow permit holders to carry in the store as long as it stays concealed. I've never heard anyone complain.

Starter52
October 27, 2007, 05:39 PM
Fiero, that "concealed carry must remain concealed" sign seems like a good idea to me. I'd have no problem with a sign like that. Your dealer sounds like a smart & practical man.

RyanM
October 27, 2007, 05:43 PM
I like the second one. First one, may as well make it say "Don't do anything illegal in the store! Anything legal is fine, though."

joab
October 27, 2007, 05:47 PM
I'm in Florida.
what sign.
I never read any signs. Except maybe the one that says SALE.Look closer next time you go to a gun store

The signs aren't offensive, just a bit wordy

NO ILLEGAL FIREARMS
would suffice

Brad Johnson
October 27, 2007, 06:20 PM
Police and authorized individuals are welcome customers.

In the interest of brevity and soccor-momminess I'd be tempted to stay away from any wording that even implies guns are welcome. Worry-warts would be reading all kinds of nonsense into it.

How about something along the lines of "No Illegal Firearms" sans explanatory subtext? Using 'firearm' instead of 'gun' softens the sign a bit, leaves all "authorized" individuals full access. Leaving out the subtext gives it a no-nonsense feel that will comfort the hand-wringers without them inferring the unstated intent.

Of course, there's always the "In Your Face" version. This is something I cobbled together on the quick...

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=66247&stc=1&d=1193519857

Standing Wolf
October 27, 2007, 07:05 PM
I carry openly.

Neo-Luddite
October 27, 2007, 07:14 PM
Trying to placate that demographic, even if you feel you must in order to exploit them for financial gain, is a really bad idea in my book. Emmotional by nature, vindictive in temperment, they will throw you under the wheels of their minivan if it suits them.

Brad Johnson
October 27, 2007, 07:28 PM
Emmotional by nature, vindictive in temperment, they will throw you under the wheels of their minivan if it suits them.

You should warn people you know. Now I have coffee dribbling out my nose...

:D

Brad

chris in va
October 27, 2007, 07:37 PM
Standing Wolf beat me to it. What about open carry?

akodo
October 27, 2007, 08:55 PM
I understand your thought process...appease the sheeple with paper.

I do see an opportunity to be offended by the 2nd one however. Don't you think that those who are CCing already know not to pull it out of the holster? Do you think they just pull it out and wave it around on a whim? Or are you saying that if there is a need for their weapon, keep it holstered anyways. Why don't you tell the police the same thing.

ATTENTION POLICE! Please keep your gun holstered, please don't shoot the ceiling, windows, or anyone in this store. Criminals, that goes for you too.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
October 27, 2007, 08:59 PM
Doesn't bother me. Of course, on the door to the business we owned we had a sign with similar wording to that which Brad J. posted.

Regards,
Rabbit.

The Lone Haranguer
October 27, 2007, 09:11 PM
The first sign is an absolute joke. Yes, I'm sure someone intent on robbing or shooting up the place is going to see that stupid sign and say, "Gosh darn it, I'll have to go somewhere else!" :rolleyes: The second is lowering itself to the lowest common denominator and is therefore utterly lacking in tact. No doubt it is for the safety of the employees and customers, but a much more polite yet still firm way of putting it (in the context of a gun shop or range) would be, "All firearms must be cased or holstered and may not be removed without prior direction from a store employee." A non-gun business could simply say, "All firearms must be holstered," period.

StuckInMA
October 27, 2007, 09:13 PM
Don't you think that those who are CCing already know not to pull it out of the holster? Do you think they just pull it out and wave it around on a whim?

I haven't seen anyone wave it around but I saw a guy pull his CCW without giving the sales clerk a heads up. He walked up to the counter, pulled out his CCW and then made eye contact and said "Do you carry any XYZ holsters that will fit this?" (paraphrasing)

MachIVshooter
October 27, 2007, 09:30 PM
The Sportmann's Warehouse stores here have similar signs. They read something like "All firearms must be checked with customer service" with smaller print below that reads "legally carried concealed & properly secured weapons are exempt"

Taurus 66
October 27, 2007, 09:41 PM
T66... NOBODY was asking you to part with a weapon... I do signage and stuff, and I know that more than a few folks who run gun shops are a little leery of people walking in with loaded boomsticks and then waving the darn things around...

Sheesh.

Sorry bogie; sometimes I just go overboard. ;)

Rich K
October 27, 2007, 11:07 PM
Wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

taliv
October 27, 2007, 11:43 PM
bogie,

i don't like the first sign. It would be reasonable and legitimate for a gun store owner to want to keep out illegal guns. But with a subtitle about cops and "authorized persons" suddenly, i can't tell *** the sign is talking about.

For it to be effective, I think it should say something like:
Do not enter the premises with an NFA firearm without a copy of your paperwork. This includes:
Machine guns
Rifles with barrels shorter than 16"
Shotguns with barrels shorter than 18"

Do not enter these premises with any gun that violates state laws. This includes:
blah blah blah

of course, that may take a little longer to read,but at least it explains that you don't want to lose your FFL because some bozo thought you wouldn't mind him showing off his secret project, and it provides an explanation to folks who have no idea they're in jeopardy.

I do like the 2nd sign. it is the policy i favor for safety in gun stores.

I'd add a 3rd sign with a copy of the 4 rules

BlackBearME
October 28, 2007, 01:14 AM
Neither of them offends me. The first one is just common sense, and I'm sure is more about CYA than actual protection/deterrence.

The second one bothers me however, just because I'm particularly picky about such things. The bold part is fine - if that's your policy, good. No problem. The second part is also fine - don't want anyone brandishing or frightening anyone. The two together, however ... If it's got to be kept in the holster, how is it supposed to be unloaded?

cpttango30
October 28, 2007, 01:30 AM
The Gander mtn I USED to shop at will not let you carry your own gun threw the store comming in or out.

One of there "Customer Service Agents" has to carry your rifle, pistol, bow, ect... back to the firearms or bow sales counter. I would have had problems if they asked me to remove the bolt on one of my rifles as it takes He-Man with fingers of steel to pull the bolt release. Everytime I go to release the bolt I end up with atleast two bloody fingers and I have had a few broken screwdrivers too.

joab
October 28, 2007, 01:40 AM
Never had that issue at Gander
The last gun I bought from them I paid for at the gun counter and then shopped around in the ammo section for about an hour while lugging the thing around with me

churched
October 28, 2007, 02:03 AM
The local indoor range has signs posted saying that you must unload and secure your weapon in a secured container. I have not asked them if that only applys to those that are using the range or just in to buy some rounds or other things.

strickj
October 28, 2007, 02:23 AM
liked the 2nd one best,but neither one would offend me.
about a month ago I went into a sporting goods store with no sign posted,picked up several boxes of ammo
proceeded to the counter to pay when I saw a pretty little number behind the counter so I ask to look at it,a
few minutes latter I went to pay for my ammo and it was missing.the store clerk said you can not look at a gun
and have a box-o-bullets next to you for their safety,makes since to me but I ask him why that applies to me when I have a fully loaded Springfield with a spare mag in plain view?

CajunBass
October 28, 2007, 11:01 AM
I don't know about where you live, but I doubt seriously anyone around here looks for signs rather they carry or not.

Those wouldn't bother me any. I wouldn't see them either.

koja48
October 28, 2007, 11:53 AM
Wouldn't offend me, Bogie.

However, since CCWs are explicitly allowed on the premises, BGs might also think that "Maybe robbing this place isn't such a good idea" instead of "Gosh darn it, I'll have to go somewhere else!"

Dave in PA
October 28, 2007, 01:38 PM
My local shop has a sign at the gun counter and holster displays that basically says, don't draw your weapon to test fit holsters without getting help from a clerk. They have an un repaired bullet hole in the floor they point to everytime someone asks "WHY?". They are also particular about bringing in cased guns, until they are proven clear. Trigger locks and chamber flags are most welcome. Again, when asked "WHY?" they explain the bullet hole in the floor....

ronwill
October 28, 2007, 01:47 PM
No they would not offend me. First, I would be "Authorized" as a CCW holder. Secondly, my gun always stays in the holster when carrying until needed.

Noxx
October 28, 2007, 01:53 PM
Our local Turners has similar signage, indicating that firearms brought in must be open and empty, with the caveat "Law enforcement and CCW must remain holstered."

It's a feel good measure, but I doubt it's offended anyone carrying a gun.

akodo
October 28, 2007, 03:49 PM
first off, if you are attempting to calm the sheeple and soccer moms, aren't you already dealing with a more reasonably sane on the gun issue if you are dealing with the subset that is going into a sporting store that also sells guns?

Second, it's that last line on the 2nd, that makes it sound like you don't trust CCWers to not know to keep it in the holster. Yes, it can be a problem with a guy walking in, pulling out his carry peice, and saying 'got any X that will fit this model' However, the same is true of a guy who walks in with it in a case, he can just as easily be pulling it out as he walks to the counter.

maybe it is the font change and the ! that makes it sound like you are shouting that last bit.

What about. "If you have a permit, a holstered gun is fine" or "If you have a permit, leaving your gun in it's holster is fine"

I'd add a line about not taking the gun out of anything, holster or case, until directed to by the sales associate.

What about "Upon entering all guns must be cased and unloaded and you must inform the sales associate. CCW may leave the gun holstered"

akodo
October 28, 2007, 03:54 PM
When entering ALL GUNS
must be CASED and UNLOADED
and
you must inform staff before uncasing it
Permit holders may leave the gun holstered

strambo
October 28, 2007, 05:59 PM
Why bother? Most people don't notice a negative (as in something that isn't there). How many people would say to themselves; "This store needs a sign about guns to make me feel better"?

If some sort of sign is mandated by law, insurance, or "cover your butt" liability common practice, then OK. Not just to try and maybe make some soccer mom feel better...who probably won't be your target demographic anyway.

Thernlund
October 28, 2007, 06:17 PM
Not offended, but I would roll my eyes.

I think it'll cause more issues than it'll fix. Sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy, eh? If it's not a problem, why address it?

On the other hand, if you want to make a statment, I like the sign posted in #15 by Brad.

-T.

Robert Hairless
October 28, 2007, 06:53 PM
The first sign ("No Illegal Guns") is mightily offensive to me.

One reason is that it accepts the vocabulary of Mayor Michael Bloomberg and his coalition of mayors, who talk about "Illegal Guns." I don't think that gun owners on the right side of the law, ethics, and morality should be sliding down the slippery slope that those mayors and other gun control advocates constructed.

The second reason why I find the first sign extremely offensive is related to the first reason: the term "Illegal Guns" is so ambiguous that it's a trap waiting to be sprung. Does "Illegal Guns" mean "Guns that have crossed the border in the dead of night without going through immigration?" Or does it mean "Guns that have had their serial numbers altered or that violate other ATF rules?"

What, in short, is an "Illegal Gun" and why would you want to encourage business owners to decide what they are?

The second sign ("All Guns Must be Unloaded & Cased") makes me dizzy and nauseous.

Who carries around a case when going shopping? How many bicycle riders are going to strap a case to their handlebars, how many mothers should be expected to tuck a case in with baby snookums while they're going for a stroll, and who expects a wheelchair bound person or one who uses a walker to have a case with them?

As for requiring all guns to be unloaded, think it through a bit more. Someone with a CWP presumably has it for the purpose of self defense. Such people tend to think that loaded guns are better for that purpose than unloaded guns, so such people would leave their homes with the guns loaded. Then they are confronted by this sign. What should they do? Aha! They should stand in front of the sign, draw their handguns, and calmly unload them so as to comply with the sign. Does this make sense to anyone? As an alternative, people with a CWP should leave their self defense weapons at home so as to avoid the inconvenience of confronting those signs.

Both signs could be combined into one: "No Guns Allowed." It's efficient and direct and accomplishes both goals.

My own suggestions are much simpler:

No Crime Allowed
No Criminals Allowed
Carolyn McCarthy, Michael Bloomberg, and Chuck Schumer Not Allowed
Concealed Weapons Permit Holders Welcome and Honored Here

strickj
October 29, 2007, 02:51 AM
What should they do? Aha! They should stand in front of the sign, draw their handguns, and calmly unload them so as to comply with the sign.

you make a good point.that would scare the used corn out of a soccer mom walking in the front door.
although it would be funny to watch!!

strambo
October 29, 2007, 03:45 AM
Another way to look at it. The reason "soccer mom" types are afraid of guns is because they are ignorant of them. They are ignorant because they choose not to think logically, realistically, or much at all about guns and crime issues.

Any sign that mentions guns will cause them to have to think about guns and make them uneasy. The mention of guns will put them off no matter what the actual wording says. "Out of sight, out of mind" goes out the window. So, bliss-ninnies get nervous and gunnies roll their eyes.

If you want people to be at ease...do not mention the subject that makes them uneasy.

bogie
October 29, 2007, 09:34 AM
1) So, putting up a sign that does absolutely nothing to avoid losing business from people who are clueless is a bad thing? Plus, I was thinking that it _could_ get them thinking about as to the difference between folks who can legally carry (cops, permit holders, or those otherwise qualified), vs. those who illegally carry (criminals).

2) Sounds like some folks are offended that someone would suggest that they shouldn't walk into their local gun store while brandishing...

30 cal slob
October 29, 2007, 09:42 AM
i always had this idea of a winking smilie face packing a pistol in an OWB holster.

caption: "Lawful open and concealed carry welcome here."

StuckInMA
October 29, 2007, 09:49 AM
I think a variation of the second sign would work in both cases. I'm not sure what kind of stores you're targeting, but if it's a Dick's or Wally World type store a sign near the display case(s) would work fine. Obviously you'd want it on the door of a gun shop.

I don't know if it's the message you're trying to get across but a simple "Please Keep Firearms Holstered Until Speaking With An Associate" should suffice.

I think a CCW presents the most danger (for lack of a better term) so a "cased" message isn't really needed. Of course around here if it's not on your hip it pretty much has to be cased and unloaded so I may see things differently.

bogie
October 29, 2007, 09:56 AM
Got to thinking a coupla weeks ago... Was in a St. Louis indoor range (that already had big signs at the doors - house rule is cased and unloaded), and a few younger folks walked in carrying some ARs... And the pucker level went up visibly in the staff for a moment or three...

Actually, I was thinking of the "no illegal guns" sign for just having available for your everyday business who has customers who think that they need a sign to keep the bad guys away... This wouldn't affect CCW folks, and in fact welcomes them...

Sigh.

SAS Mayhem
October 29, 2007, 09:58 AM
Nope I would not be offended

tinygnat219
October 29, 2007, 10:23 AM
I don't really see the point of either of the signs.

jefnvk
October 29, 2007, 10:28 AM
Gander Mountains have a sign similiar to the second, some thing along the lines of 'All firearms and bows must be unloaded and encased. Concealed weeapons holders are exempt from this provision'.

Doesn't bother me in the least.

strambo
October 29, 2007, 01:52 PM
So, putting up a sign that does absolutely nothing to avoid losing business from people who are clueless is a bad thing?How could a business know that they are losing business by people walking up and not seeing some sign about guns?

The way psychology works, mentioning the subject that people don't feel good about no matter how it is mentioned is likely to put them ill at ease.

The premise (business is being lost by people who don't see a sign about guns to make them feel better) would need to be proven first.

That's for a general business. For a business that sells guns or a firing range...anyone that scared of guns won't go there in the 1st place just like I don't go to hair salons (not because I'm scared...well maybe ;) ).

My understanding is that these signs were either put up for insurance/liability purposes (guns must be unloaded etc.) or due to the owners being nervous-nellies about CCW in states that have a sign posting provision.

Oregon businesses don't post any signs that I've noticed (it's not in the CCW laws) so, any signs here would stand out as odd. Soccer moms would wonder why only this business needs to mention guns...do they get robbed a lot?

Shooters Plus
October 29, 2007, 02:01 PM
Would not offend me. In fact I rarely even read door signs when entering a business. :)

Hokkmike
October 29, 2007, 02:02 PM
I DO NOT find them offensive.

Phil DeGraves
October 29, 2007, 02:03 PM
Here is a bumper sticker slogan I find offensive.

"Hillary in 2008"

jerkyman45
October 29, 2007, 02:44 PM
No, but they are kind of pointless. I don't really see what good they'd do. If someone is carrying an illegal weapon, I don't understand what a sign is going to do.

M60
October 29, 2007, 03:10 PM
I was going into the local gun store / liberty safe dealer and noticed he had a sign on the door. It said "no loaded guns allowed". I happend to be walkin' in the door with the owner at the time (he was outside watering the lawn) and saw the sign and said "oops. I'll be right back" the owner said "Don't worry about it. It's mostly there to keep the riff-raff out." I chuckled a little about that.

Mark.

strickj
October 29, 2007, 06:26 PM
I have the same experiences with folks at the verrry few places that have them posted though I credited it to people not wanting to get confrontational with the gun carring guy in a wheelchair

"Lawful open and concealed carry welcome here."

I would shop here in a heart beat even if I had to pay a bit more
who would rob someone coming out of this place

Guitargod1985
October 29, 2007, 07:01 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=66247&d=1193519857

Looks like a Glock grip :neener: with a 1911 trigger

Brad Johnson
October 29, 2007, 07:06 PM
Looks like a Glock grip with a 1911 trigger

Hey, be glad you can even recognize it as a gun.

Brad

Zoogster
October 29, 2007, 07:20 PM
Yes they would. It does not matter that they have no legal weight, or an inside joke to those who are of the mindset that RKBA infringements do not work.

To the average joe that is uninformed they are no different than a no weapons sign, a guns are evil sign, or a please keep guns away message.

The way to keep firm believers in the RKBA is to oppose sentiments that catter to and create the type of people that believe strict weapon laws will keep them safer. Signs and messages that imply the weapons and thier presence is evil have an impact on fence sitters that are ill informed or not informed at all.

Any sentiment that gives the message that everyone is put in more danger by the presence of firearms encourages the mindset that they are dangerous to others, or should only be possessed by government sanctioned individuals, the less the better.

So if you think only about yourself, no they should not be offensive, because you can smugly tell yourself it does not apply to you.
However you must realize that it classifies guns in the mind's of the uninformed average joe in a catagory that those not sanctioned to have and use them should not be allowed to have them. Seeing such signs all over the place slowly reinforces and builds on that mindset.
You can quickly understand it erodes the mindset we are trying to encourage. That mindset is that they are just another tool. The same mindset that once existed when Tommy guns were sold in a Sear's catalog. When a pistol was sold at a hardware store, and firearms were little different than buying a hammer, a screwdriver, or a shovel.

Thernlund
October 29, 2007, 08:59 PM
Took some liberties...

http://208.106.149.12/pictures/ccw_left.jpg
http://208.106.149.12/pictures/ccw_right.jpg

-T.

MT GUNNY
October 29, 2007, 09:50 PM
sorry didnt notice that two of the same type of thread being ran at the same time!

bcp
October 29, 2007, 10:07 PM
A high school near here had large signs:

Illegal activity prohibited

Bruce

RevolvingCylinder
October 29, 2007, 10:15 PM
A high school near here had large signs:

Illegal activity prohibited
"There's your sign."(Bill Engvall)

bogie
October 29, 2007, 11:06 PM
Yes they would. It does not matter that they have no legal weight, or an inside joke to those who are of the mindset that RKBA infringements do not work.

You have GOT to be kidding.

There is NOTHING in those signs about RKBA infringement. NOTHING. LTFR.

Two concepts: Some folks need gentle encouragement, not a slabside upside the skull, to understand that the "illegal/criminal" guns that they see on television are not the same as the "legal/authorized" guns that may be in the supermarket line with them.

Other folks need to realize that they are living really, really dangerously when they walk into Bubba's GunMart carrying a boomstick, since that makes the guys who work there a little nervous.

Zoogster
October 30, 2007, 12:58 AM
Other folks need to realize that they are living really, really dangerously when they walk into Bubba's GunMart carrying a boomstick, since that makes the guys who work there a little nervous.

I understand that and can agree to its purpose. However much of that was created because firearms became more valuable to criminal elements by being heavily restricted, and they are now willing to rob and kill for them more so than before.

An example is someone walking into a hardware store with a gas powered chainsaw to return it or ask about a refund would probably get little to no reaction. They won't fear he is going to use that chain saw to rob them for expensive tools worth hundreds all around. The same cannot be said for firearms, not because they are worth significantly more, simply due to legislation.

Then again you could say the same about many drugs. Few people are victimized or robbed to fund an alcohol addiction. Yet it happens all the time to support other addictions. Why? Because legislation has created an artificaly increased value in the market.

If guns were just a tool though there probably wouldn't be "Bubba's Gunmart" because they would just be sold at the local general store/ hardware/super store or direct from manufacturers instead just like a lawn mower, a power tool, or even a computer and not be limited to specialty shops.

bogie
October 30, 2007, 01:43 AM
Okay. Have you ever been in a hardware store where someone carried in a gas-powered chainsaw, and proceeded to go primatebleep? Can you actually cite such a case, or are you relying upon theory? Because theory don't hunt, son...

We had a gun store here in St. Louis where someone carried in a boomstick, and proceeded to get himself dead.

Ready2Defend
October 30, 2007, 03:24 AM
The local indoor range/gun shop has signage to the effect of "No handleing of loaded guns in the lobby. CCW permit holders need to continue to keep their weapon concealed". I see it as an application of gun safety. When I go to that range I keep the springfield microcompact .45ACP in my pocket untill I get to the fireing line. Then out it comes. At the end of practice I reload at the fireing line with hollowpoints and it goes back to concealment position.

The signs on the OP don't offend me but are a bit feel good rather than accomplish good. The signs with CCW welcome would seem to at least possibly have a deterrent effect on an armed robbers choice of victoms. No study i know of to prove sineage makes any difference.

But which is more deadly? 1) armed robbery event, 2) Negligent discharge by duly leagally carrying CCW? The armed robbery side has a long list of dead innocent victoms. The NG side has got to be next to nothing. THEREFORE sineage restricting CCW is a waste of paper and ink.

geekWithA.45
October 30, 2007, 09:58 AM
The way I figure it, if you're trying to reassure the sheep, then reassure them. They will not be reassured by mixed signals, or reminders that 1-7 out of every hundred people they meet has a gun.

Phrase it straight:

"No unlawful firearms." (For general use)

or

"All firearms must be cased or holstered." (For gunshops)
or "No handling of loaded firearms" (For gunshops)

Leave the obvious and implied exeptions to "those in the know".

Arms carriers are fundamentally used to wielding power on their own authority, and if they aren't yet used to their own authority, they'd best sort that out quick.

bogie
October 30, 2007, 01:09 PM
with a ccw piece, you can pretty much guarantee one thing... It's loaded.

Now all you have to have is some Gunshop Commando proclaiming to the world that he's the only one in the room professional enough to handle a Glock Fotty (blam), and then the insurance rates go up...

One thing that sitting at a table Knob Creek for three days of peace and love taught me is that there's two kindsa gun folks... Intelligent and careful ones, and the ones who walk up and ask if you have something for sale that is displayed NOWHERE on your table... And then get angry about it.

The _best_ was one guy...

"What's that?"

"It's a delinker."

"What's it do?"

"It delinks."

"Oh."

yesit'sloaded
October 30, 2007, 01:26 PM
Doesn't offend me, but seems pointless. Criminals already know not to commit crimes and do it anyway. CCW guys already know the laws and follow them. People that commit gross gun safety violations don't read signs or instructions anyway.

bogie
October 30, 2007, 01:47 PM
Yeah, but after the three guys behind the counter have cleared leather when Bubba walks in waving his boomstick around, it's nice to have a nice big sign to point to while you're telling him "Dumbass, you almost got yourself darwined!"

Robert Hairless
October 30, 2007, 05:50 PM
You have GOT to be kidding.

There is NOTHING in those signs about RKBA infringement. NOTHING. LTFR.

Two concepts: Some folks need gentle encouragement, not a slabside upside the skull, to understand that the "illegal/criminal" guns that they see on television are not the same as the "legal/authorized" guns that may be in the supermarket line with them.

I apologize for misunderstanding what you meant in your opening message, when you asked "Would these signs offend you?" and said "And I'm wondering if the other would be a good idea for some gun stores..."

I thought you were asking a question and wanted honest responses. It didn't occur to me that what you really wanted was approval and what you really didn't want was disagreement.

So, now, "Oh boy is that a great idea! Wonderful signs! Wouldn't offend me at all! Can't imagine anyone being offended by those signs! They will turn soccer moms into pistol packing mamas!"

yesit'sloaded
October 30, 2007, 05:56 PM
after the three guys behind the counter have cleared leather when Bubba walks in waving his boomstick around I've seen it happen, I see your point. In my case it was a homeboy who pulled a loaded .25 auto out of his pants to try and sell it. It is amazing how fast you can move when you anticipate gunfire. At least he was smart enough to not point it at anyone.

offroaddiver
October 30, 2007, 06:03 PM
With respect to the OP no the signs do not offend.

Most of the time though places around here have dealer signs that a sign like that would probably be lost among the "advertisement" for the guns and accessories the store carries. Or in the other end of the spectrum be so small as not to scare off it's other patrons as to resemble the door manufacturer's mark. I have seen panic at Christmas time in Wally world when a guy carried his new rifle out the front door because None of the managers were available to carry out his new toy. The man didn't act at all like a threat but emotions were high and yes the cops were called. Only reason why I know about this is because I was working part-time at walmart for some extra dough.

If you enjoyed reading about "Would these signs offend you?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!