how not to test a Photographers trigger finger

PDA

gun-fucious
July 15, 2003, 12:34 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=378712

The M-16 rifle of a U.S. Army soldier accidentally fires near a Reuters photographer during a search operation, after a convoy of military vehicles was attacked in the central al-Mansour area of Baghdad July 14, 2003. Attackers fired rocket-propelled grenades and machine guns at U.S. soldiers in Baghdad on Monday, killing one and wounding six, the U.S. military said. REUTERS/Faleh Kheiber

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/030714/170/4obcm.html

If you enjoyed reading about "how not to test a Photographers trigger finger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Darrin
July 15, 2003, 12:44 AM
"My toe!!"

Oh, wait, you're not looking for captions, are you? :uhoh:

Schuey2002
July 15, 2003, 01:45 AM
"Who needs a broom when you can use one of these to sweep the floor?!"

:uhoh:

Nightcrawler
July 15, 2003, 01:57 AM
The Army never taught ME "Rule 3", either. I learned it elsewhere (though I've had more than one on-the-ball NCO give us instructions about where your trigger finger shouldn't be, thankfully).

Psssniper
July 15, 2003, 01:58 AM
HEY LOOK A WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION!!!!!!!!!

brrrrrrpppp BRRRRRRRRRPP

DOHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Kharn
July 15, 2003, 08:33 AM
"Aw, ****. SARGE! I shot at the feet of that damn CNN commie guy and I think he crapped his drawers..."

Kharn

bogie
July 15, 2003, 11:46 AM
Guys, adrenaline does funny things...

Kharn
July 15, 2003, 11:53 AM
On a more serious note, what is the machine gun on the ground? A PKMS?

Kharn

Tamara
July 15, 2003, 12:05 PM
"Firearms like that machine gun there should only be used by well-trained individuals, like the police or us soldi*KAABLAAAM!* Oops. Dammit."

or

"I can't hear you, my ears are ringing! Get my finger off the what?"

El Tejon
July 15, 2003, 12:09 PM
THR Chorus, ready? Mmmmm, hmmmm, memememe--"RULE #3, DOGGIE!"

El Tejon
July 15, 2003, 01:11 PM
Saxon, if so, then would the dust not be in only one direction?:confused:

hksw
July 15, 2003, 01:15 PM
It looks to me as if he was preoccupied with the weapon on the ground and was in the process of picking it up. He had switched his weapon from right to left hand and looks like got a finger in the triggerguard to set off the round.

cordex
July 15, 2003, 01:18 PM
What are the odds on a photographer taking a shot just as the AD occurs?
Not too shabby if it's a video capture.

shermacman
July 15, 2003, 01:19 PM
I agree with the Saxon Pig. If that were a bed-wetting Commie member of the Left-Wing lunatic media he would not be taking an in focus, perfectly framed picture of a ND. He would be peeing his pants.

Justin
July 15, 2003, 01:28 PM
El T nails it on the head. What we have here is a Negligent Discharge caught in its natural environment. That photo is an excellent example of why Rule 3 is so important.

Luckily he wasn't breaking more than one rule. Otherwise we'd have ended up with with either a wounded soldier or a dead photographer.

Just to take a complete SWAG, my guess is that the photog was lining things up in the camera right before the soldier had the ND. The soldier has the ND and the sound probably caused the him to snap the photo.

God knows stranger photos have been taken (like that one from VietNam of the guy being shot in the head at close range.)

Dr.Rob
July 15, 2003, 01:31 PM
No kidding, good thinng nobody got hurt.

He's probably feeling pretty lucky and pretty lousy. Let's hope he's learned his lesson.

spacemanspiff
July 15, 2003, 01:41 PM
"can you hear me now? whats that? hello, is this thing on? i said, CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?"

gun-fucious
July 15, 2003, 01:51 PM
it looks like the belt of ammo slipped off his shoulder as he leaned over

CZ-100
July 15, 2003, 01:55 PM
"Aw, ****. SARGE! I shot at the feet of that damn CNN commie guy and I think he crapped his drawers..."

For that son you shall be awarded the Bronze Star..:what:

pack_rat
July 15, 2003, 02:06 PM
Newslines from the frontlines:
"According to unnamed military sources,
field testing of the new M4A6 belt-fed
carbine is not going well..."

"Hey, Sarge! Check out this bump-fire trick..."

"Dance, media puppet, dance!"

"It is long been a principal of ours that one
is no more armed because he has possession of
a firearm than he is a musician because he owns
a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you
are not capable of using it skillfully."
-Jeff Cooper

Pvt Snuffy, report for KP duty!
===
p_r

gun-fucious
July 15, 2003, 03:55 PM
Faleh Kheiber is a Reuters photographer on the ground in Baghdad:

http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news/?c=news_photos&p=Faleh+Kheiber

Gordon Fink
July 15, 2003, 04:21 PM
“The M-16 rifle of a U.S. Army soldier accidentally fires.…”

With self-firing weapons, we don’t even need soldiers anymore!

~G. Fink

Malone LaVeigh
July 15, 2003, 04:22 PM
One, the "in-bed" journalists for the major US media have been little more than cheerleading stenographers for government propaganda in this war, so I doubt there is any conspiracy here to make the military look bad.

Two, we are ignoring the fact that these boys are recently under fire, and in danger of taking fire at any time. Sure, hammer Rule #3 in, but I'm not going to cast any stones. Stuff happens. It's a shame when stuff happens for a stupid and misguided foreign policy.

Malone LaVeigh
July 15, 2003, 04:25 PM
Oops, I'll eat a little crow. Reuters isn't US propaganda, obviously. They've even been somewhat objective in a few cases.

cordex
July 15, 2003, 04:38 PM
Oops, I'll eat a little crow. Reuters isn't US propaganda, obviously. They've even been somewhat objective in a few cases.
They have had articles that run the gamut from very supportive of the war effort to nicely balanced and neutral to extremely biased against the war. But, as you recognized, they are decidedly not US propaganda.

riverdog
July 15, 2003, 05:27 PM
The soldier looks too casual for someone who just had an ND AND the photo isn't blurred as if the photgraoher was trying to get out of the way. using the photo alone without using commentary as evidence, I don't see an ND.

Malone LaVeigh
July 15, 2003, 07:45 PM
SP:

Don't have time to do this justice, as I have to run out to a dental appt, but suffice to say right now that there was never a time Iraq represented a real and immediate threat to the US. And, there was never a time that we could have successfully brought Saddam down without creating (1) worse misery for the Iraqis, (2) a less stable ME, and (3) more hate against the US in the ME.

(Did I mention some of my ancestors were Norman?)

Matt1911
July 15, 2003, 08:06 PM
At the timing it appears to be in the photo,won't you see some kinda muzzle flash?

DontShootMe
July 15, 2003, 08:20 PM
Depends on the ammo.

Pain
July 15, 2003, 08:28 PM
....... A war to Overthrow a Dictatorial Madman in the Gulf .......50 Billion and Counting.......

....... 1 contact lens that Fell out during a Search Operation 2635 miles from the nearest eye doctor........469.00 Dollars

........ Inadvertantly Giving ammunition to the Anti Gun Groups Worldwide by not utilizing Gun Safety.......Priceless

Kaylee
July 15, 2003, 09:45 PM
please to be taking ANY AND ALL conversation about the ethics of the Iraq war elsewhere. Preacherman's said it already in L&P -- it's been done to death here.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30786

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

-K

PS -- As for the soldier lookin' calm, I kinda figure the "OHMYGOD" face comes about a half second after the shutter closed back shut again there.. I agree snapping the button was prolly a reflex on the photographer's part when hearing/seeing the AD.

If you enjoyed reading about "how not to test a Photographers trigger finger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!