XD or Glock

PDA

Ech0Sierra
October 27, 2007, 06:52 PM
I'm deciding, this will be my third pistol. On 1 hand the XD9 is less expensive and feels better in my hand, but there are soooo many aftermarket parts for a Glock 17. Help Me decide please.

If you enjoyed reading about "XD or Glock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WOODROW
October 27, 2007, 07:04 PM
I would flip a coin and buy the one that wins, and then but the other later. (like next payday). Ain't it great to have all us gun lovers help you spend your money? SEMPER FI
(I prefer my XD hands down), I had both but traded the Glock for the XD.

Exmasonite
October 27, 2007, 07:12 PM
feels better in my hand

well, that oughta cover it. go w/ the XD.

that being said, try to find a place that rents both and see which one SHOOTS better in your hand.

i went through the same thing 3 yrs ago... Looked at the Sig, XD, and Glocks for my first handgun. Sigs were a little too rich for my blood. Glock rip angle just didn't work for me. Plus, i liked the extra grip safety of the XD. I now have 2 XD's: .40 service and 9 SC.

The XD has grown in popularity. Depending where you look, the price between both guns should be approximately the same.

There are also a LOT of aftermarket parts for the XD. What specifically are you interested in getting?

Ech0Sierra
October 27, 2007, 07:14 PM
I meant the feel when I was firing, sorry for not being specific, I am looking for a .22 conversion kit.

Exmasonite
October 27, 2007, 07:31 PM
good, then all the better!!

how'd you shoot with each?

here's a link to a thread on XD talk where supposedly somebody at SHOT show claimed that a conversion .22 will be out for the XD by "Late 2007"

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30840&highlight=conversion

Walkalong
October 27, 2007, 07:41 PM
XD !!

PistolGear.com (http://www.pistolgear.com/) and other places have a good bit of aftermarket stuff for XD's, and it will only increase with time due to their popularity.

RNB65
October 27, 2007, 07:44 PM
I own an XD.

I own a Glock.

Both go BANG reliably and hit close to where I'm aiming.

I enjoy shooting both equally.

But, if something goes bump/bang/crash in the night, I'll reach for the Glock.

R&J
October 27, 2007, 07:49 PM
It has been my pleasure to fire two XD pistols: .40 S&W and .45 ACP. I liked them both, but favored the .45.

The XD is well designed and brilliantly packaged. It is smartly marketed. Better accessories and parts are coming on line as we write! What's not to like?

You get a feel for things... I recently shot a friend's 9 mm Taurus better than he does. Sweet gun--no getting around that!

But you do get a feel for things, and I like the Glock's low bore axis, like the low center of gravity on a Subaru or Jetta. I just like it.

Last year I looked seriously at a Sig P229 Equinox in . 40 S&W. I asked the gunny, in real-world terms, what will I do with this that I couldn't do with a comparable Glock? The answer--nothing, but you might look cooler doing it!

That Sig was sweet, though.

I ended up passing over .40 S&W and purchasing a new G17. I added Dawson Precision Adj/FO sights, a Hogue grip, 33-round mag, and a "butt plug". The X200 A&B serve duty on three guns.

Nearly 7500 rounds later, and not one hiccup. Not one!

The gun paid for itself in ammo savings (Vs. .45 ACP), in only a year; a great way to sell it to the misses! ;)

You can't go wrong with the venerable G17.

You will no doubt enjoy a new XD!

Next decision: Black or Olive Drab?

--Ray

tnieto2004
October 27, 2007, 07:56 PM
I shoot my XD much more than I shoot my Glock .. Just my personal preference ..

Gustav
October 27, 2007, 07:58 PM
Both are good for the money each has their cheerleading sections what matters is what do you prefer?

Does it fit you and how well can you use it?

Balance fit and feel are all relative o the individual and tastes do vary and change.

One of my firearms instructors told me a pistol should feel like an extension of your hand it should not have any sharp edges or corners to cut you or cause discomfort he likened it to the feel of a well used bar of soap vs a scrap piece of 2"x4" lumber with a splinter or small nail sticking out.

To some the Glock feels like a block of wood to others the XD does not offer any real advantage to the Glocks they know and trust.

When you close your eyes and pick up one or the other without looking or thinking X brand vs Y brand do this a few times, which one talks to you more?

Rent or borrow both shooting them side by side one will pull ahead of the other in short order.

Try at least 100 rounds in each more if at possible.

Best of luck.;)

BamBam-31
October 27, 2007, 08:06 PM
I shoot my Glocks much more than I shoot my XD, but that may be because the Glocks are 9mm and the XD is a 45 Tactical (read: $$$).

Really, the Glock is my #1 platform, but the XD is outstanding as well. For me, the low bore axis and shorter trigger reset give Glock the nod.

Question: Are you buying this pistol as more of a working gun (HD/duty) or a play gun (range/competition)? If the latter, the huge aftermarket support Glock currently has might make the difference (XD has some, but Glock has LOTS). If the former, then whichever one you shoot better and more comfortably should be the determining factor. In my experience, both platforms are reliable and accurate.

comeandtakeit
October 27, 2007, 08:14 PM
Glock because you can buy parts everywhere.

onewithgun
October 27, 2007, 08:16 PM
Just bought my new XD9. I love it.

Great gun. Easily competes with Glock, and actually surpasses Glock in almost every category.

XD is better than Glock. Time will show that to be true.

This is because the XD maker took the best of Glock, and Sig, combined them for a better product than either weapon. This is the new 21st century "Glock" that will be on top for a long time to come.

BamBam-31
October 27, 2007, 08:18 PM
This is because the XD maker took the best of Glock, and Sig, combined them for a better product than either weapon. This is the new 21st century "Glock" that will be on top for a long time to come.

Wow, good thing I've got examples of all three! I'm good for another 93 years! :D

R&J
October 27, 2007, 08:19 PM
We've all addressed this as a level playing field, but in terms of resumé, it is not.

The XD cannot approach Glock's service record--in particular the venerable G17. The XD is an impressive new comer, up against an inveterate combat platform--a real-world, proven design, with some 27-years of history.

If history counts, Glock's resumé should not be glossed over.

I just thought I'd mention that.

--Ray

R&J
October 27, 2007, 08:22 PM
With the way elections work, Ron Paul has no chance. A vote for Ron Paul is a defacto vote for Hillary Clinton.

--Ray

quickcanary
October 27, 2007, 08:47 PM
Just bought my new XD9. I love it.

Good for you, the XDs are nice poly pistols. But they aren't perfect.

Great gun. Easily competes with Glock, and actually surpasses Glock in almost every category.

XD is better than Glock. Time will show that to be true.

Really? You say this as if it's a fact. I respect your opinion, but if what you say is true, all the Glockophiles would be running out to trade their Glocks in for XDs. I think there are quite a few people here who have fired both guns and prefer the Glock (of course, the opposite is true as well).

We can definitely tell you're a new XD owner. Your enthusiasm for the gun is noted, but it irritates me when people try to pass off opinion as fact.

I don't think the XD is better than the Glock...just different. They are very similar, yet different in other ways. The XD has some "advantages" like a grip safety (some don't like) while the Glock has other advantages like a lower bore axis, a longer track record, and a wide array of available parts. Good luck getting Springfield to willingly ship out parts to its customer base.

XD better than Sig, though? :uhoh: Don't let the SIG guys catch you saying that! Once again though, the XD has some advantages such as lighter weight while the SIG has other desirable attributes. I do think the XD is the better value for the dollar, but SIG has been around a lot longer and just blows the XD away in terms of looks. A lot of guys would argue that the SIG buys you better performance and/or reliability, but I won't comment on that as my P220 hasn't arrived yet.

Don't get me wrong, the XD is a good gun, but it's not necessarily better than any of the other quality guns and it's certainly not a SIG killer, or a Glock killer for that matter. People have said the same thing about the M&P taking over Glock's throne. We'll see. But I firmly believe the Glock is in no danger of becoming extinct anytime soon...each of these wunderguns have their own individual traits that are suited to different people. There is no "best." Only a subjective best.

Shipwreck
October 27, 2007, 09:35 PM
I have had several Glocks and finally got rid of my last one - I hate the triggers.

I have never been an XD fan, but rented an XD 45 today. 1 large ragged whole. I was really impressed.

I have never cared for XDs before - but now - I would say get the XD over a Glock in a heartbeat!

glockman19
October 27, 2007, 09:50 PM
IMHO Glock makes the best 9mm. 17/19/26/34 you can't go wrong. I carry a 26 and trust my life and the life of my family to it.

Nothing wrong with a XD i fit feels better in your hand and you shoot it better then get it.

.357 magnum
October 27, 2007, 10:52 PM
I own two XD .45's. I had a third, but sold it to a friend [nothing wrong with the one I sold, just helping a friend] I am no expert on the XD 9mm, but they make a great .45. I have shot Glocks several times now. I just cannot make myself like them. I do not like the feel of the gun [the angle and balance] The trigger is ok, but I am more accurate with the XD-[could be the ergonomics] They are both Butt ugly, but I would have to give the XD more points for being less ugly then the Glock. I actually prefer the SW-MP 9mm. The MP is VERY ergonomic. I hope you find the one that fits:)

The Best to You and Yours!

Frank

JHansenAK47
October 27, 2007, 11:18 PM
Traded my Glock 34 to my brother it didn't point naturally for me, I really didn't care for the takedown mechanism and the grips are unusually wide front to back other than that I have nothing against them I just prefer xds
they point well and are well built
the fact that they point naturally for me and are ergonomic in my hand is the whole reason I got my xd40
I like xds so much that i'm hoping the army chooses the xd45 to replace the m-9s in use now (I think they would beat HKs on cost)
if your on the fence between a glock and an xd the only real way to see is to how much the one you want costs and shoot them both they're neck and neck but I still think the xd is more ergonomic

possum
October 28, 2007, 02:09 AM
i sugest that you go with what feels best to you and what you perform better with, i am abig fan of the xd line and own 2 and i will own more in the future, they are great guns and i prefer them over glock anyday. you can't go wrong with either one, but the xd is my pick. also there are more and more aftermarket parts and acessories all the time comming out for the xd line up there hasn't been anything that i need or want for the xds that i haven't been able to get.

bestseller92
October 28, 2007, 02:13 AM
Glocks are the absolute best 9mms ever made.

Choclabman
October 28, 2007, 08:57 AM
The XD or rather the HS2000, has been around a some time.
I owned a HS2000. Paid $250 plus tax for it. Never liked the grip safety on a tupperware pistol. I also did not like the bore axis. It also felt has if the thing was eight feet tall. I sold it.
The HS2000 did not sell very well.
Now the HS2000 with a simple name change, and heavy marketing push, has become the SA XD.
My personal pick, would be Glock.
They are accurate, reliable, proven, parts, are very easy to find, CS if need needed is outstanding.

You should fire both, and see which one you prefer.

10-Ring
October 28, 2007, 09:31 AM
I prefer the Glock...

Silvanus
October 28, 2007, 10:04 AM
I prefer Glocks too. But the XD is probably just as good. It's up to you. Try to shoot both and see what works best for you.

CajunBass
October 28, 2007, 10:15 AM
I'm no help at all.

I like both of them.

Scorpiusdeus
October 28, 2007, 11:47 AM
Get the XD and don't look back.

esol
October 28, 2007, 12:37 PM
after test driving several glocks and XDs i ended up purchacing the XD
i was more accurate with it and it was more comfortable (for me) to shoot

Ech0Sierra
October 28, 2007, 12:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, I decided to get an XD since this is going to be mainly a HD backup in case something's wrong with my 870, I was asking this since the night sights I like are for the Glock, but the XD feels like a second hand. Plus, the checkering on the Glock feels bad to me.

Harley Quinn
October 28, 2007, 12:55 PM
I meant the feel when I was firing, sorry for not being specific, I am looking for a .22 conversion kit.

I have several of the Glock pistols. I also have 2 of the kits you are talking about. The Advantage Arms and the Ciener.

http://www.22lrconversions.com/

You will notice the kits do not include the XD.:uhoh:

http://www.advantagearms.com/

I'd go with the Glock for sure, if that is your desire (kits).

:)

Exmasonite
October 28, 2007, 01:04 PM
You will notice the kits do not include the XD.

not yet but they're coming. check out this link: .22LR conversion for the XD due out by late 2007:

http://www.gunblast.com/SHOT_2007_2.htm

Ech0Sierra
October 28, 2007, 01:06 PM
XD it is! Thanks for all your help.

Harley Quinn
October 28, 2007, 01:11 PM
not yet but they're coming. check out this link: .22LR conversion for the XD due out by late 2007:

http://www.gunblast.com/SHOT_2007_2.htm

The AA is a good kit, it locks back on the last round and works with numerous good 40 grain ammo (with the Glock).
So with the information and the OP desire for the XD and the kit, looks like set to go for all the needed items.

Better put in your order now for that kit, it will be a wanted item:)

Happy shooting.:D

nerfsrule2
October 28, 2007, 01:56 PM
I have been a Smith and Wesson revolver shootist for over 30 years.. ( I started with a model 29) I purchased my Glock model 23 several years ago; for CC use. It took me a little while to get used to the difference in the trigger set.This was done with many happy rounds going down range. I now am able to shoot both revolvers and semis interchangeably with total confidence in the release point of both trigger systems.. Just shoot and shoot and...

possum
October 28, 2007, 02:09 PM
XD it is! Thanks for all your help.
great choice, put it like this i have owned both i no longer own the glock and i have added another xd to my collection that is how great i kow they are.

Harley Quinn
October 28, 2007, 02:23 PM
I don't own an XD, but I have shot a few (gun range) rentals.

I have noticed that many of the rentals have hit the sales location as used, similar with other pistols.

The location I go to shoot has a large retail, next to the shooting range (indoor).

The XD's are selling very well. I believe the xtra safety on the grip is a positive for many.

I am sure you will be happy with it and the new kit that will come out for the 22.

:)

Big Boomer
October 28, 2007, 02:54 PM
I had to make the same choice when I looked for my last new carry gun. After much time reading, debating, shooting, and more I finally settled with the XD and glad I did.

Just my .02

judaspriest
October 28, 2007, 03:00 PM
XD - fully-supported chamber (if you want to reload some day), better deal (comes with a few extras), can be had with stainless top. HOWEVER, Glock if you want extra/aftermarket parts, XD is really nasty about spares for some silly reason.

contactcole
October 28, 2007, 10:47 PM
"I meant the feel when I was firing" - Then, get the XD. What feels better to YOU will often shoot better for YOU and as a result YOU will feel more confident.

Glock parts are everywhere. Almost anyone can replace Glock parts. The XD has a lifetime warrenty and Springfield will fix it for you once you pay to ship it to them. If either ever break, time to fix Glock measured in days, time for XD in weeks.

Personally, I had an XD9Tac. Great gun. Traded it. Still have my Glock 17. Says it all for me. Glock is the better gun for ME. Glock is simply and they work.

PhillyGlocker
October 28, 2007, 11:58 PM
Another thread comparing a Glock clone to a Glock. XD's are nice, but you'll never catch me trading a Glock for one. No XD compares to the G19. Yes this is my opinion, but this is one opinion on earth that's close to fact.

possum
October 29, 2007, 01:22 PM
Another thread comparing a Glock clone to a Glock.
the glock and xd are common for few reasons,
1) they are striker fired
2)they are polymer framed
3)they have the same trigger safety

other than these three things they are much different and i don't consider the xd a glock clone at all. that is all that they have in common.

sigma, and others yeah but not the xd.

YosemiteSam357
October 29, 2007, 02:55 PM
Just went through the same thing last week and ended up with the XD (.40 in my case). I've owned three Glocks and still have a 21-C. The ergos on the XD are better for me (angle and feel), and I like the grip safety. I also like the steel trigger and guide rod, and the fully supported chamber.

The Glock offers better parts and accessories availability, more aftermarket vendor support, and it's a simpler design.

Other than that it's pretty much personal choice. In my case the XD was $20 more than the Glock (XD-40 subcompact vs. Glock 23).

-- Sam

Marshall
October 29, 2007, 03:59 PM
Nice choice, though either choice would have been a good choice. Enjoy.

JMD
October 29, 2007, 07:25 PM
I like the feel of glocks and shoot them well. So for me, I would get a G17 or G19. I own a 17 and love it.

That said, you can't go wrong with either. Pick which ever one fits your hand best.

tbtrout
October 29, 2007, 10:55 PM
If the X feels better, start with that one. Both are reliable.

AWMP
November 2, 2007, 09:12 PM
I have several Glocks and just purchased an XD45 Service 4", great pistol. All depends what feels good in your had, shoots good and what you will carry.

skinewmexico
November 2, 2007, 11:38 PM
Shooters say pick what you shoot best, or feels best. Kool-aid drinkers scream the name of their purchase. Easy decision.

andrewshogun
November 3, 2007, 12:32 AM
I've tried both extensively and decided on the XD in the end. gl!

Synchro
November 3, 2007, 02:22 AM
it is all personal preference. XDs and glocks ae both great. i cannot point a glock worth a damn, but I can win competitions with an XD. I know people that can do the same with a Glock. It all depends on you and what you can hit with. just go a shoot them and make the decision for yourself.

1lostinspace
November 3, 2007, 02:37 AM
I own a Glock but love both well I hope what I am about to say helps.

Every new range I go to I ask the guy that rents out and maintains the guns what gives him the least amount of trouble they almost always say Glock is shot more and gives the least amount of trouble G17 G19. I asked about the XD here is what one guy said they are a great gun I have had some trouble with a few but over it's a great gun.

I agree I love the XD if I were you I would be on the same boat. Well here are some things to think about . what do you shoot better? Do want to hold more ammo?(Glock)
Do you want a longer produced and proven gun(Glock)
Do you want a better trigger (XD)
Better fit to you(XD)
Well over all you can't go wrong they are both great and would trust my life to the XD like a do my Glock. I have a friend that got an XD .40 cal and he jams on some JHP. but I think he got a turd.

Good luck but I think you prefer the XD

76shuvlinoff
November 3, 2007, 07:45 AM
I've had 2 different 40 cal XDs and a .45.... and fired lots of borrowed glocks. They both work well. In the end I picked the XDsc for carry but you can't really go wrong with either one if they hit where you point. Period.

....but then I put a 5" 1911 on the night stand so wft do I know? LOL! ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "XD or Glock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!