Help me figure the worth of a Security-Six

PDA

kingpin008
October 28, 2007, 06:42 PM
A few months ago I found out that my brother-in-law owns a Security-Six in .357. I've been trying to convince him to sell it to me ever since, heh.

Now, I'm trying to find out the value for him. He wants to hold onto it, in hopes that it increases even more in value. I told him that they're quality guns, but I dunno how high it would actually get.

I wasn't able to get the serial #, because we couldn't find the damn thing! He has aftermarket grips on it, maybe they were hiding it? Anyway - It's Stainless, adjustable sights, and what looks to be about a 3-1/2'' - 4'' barrel.

The gun is in great shape. he keeps it unloaded (I know, kinda dumb for a house gun) in a case. No drag line on the cylinder, no end-shake, locks up tight, and has absolutely no gap between the cylinder & forcing cone that I can see. No finish wear or scratches. This man is a total neat-freak. The gun is spotless, save for a slightly gunky layer of what he said was WD-40 that he had used to lube/protect it before he put it away. (I advised him against it in the future, no worries)

From what he tells me, and what I've seen of the condition, he's never fired more than 100 rounds or so from this gun.

Bought new, sometime around '74-'76. He has the original grips, box, papers. reciept.

So, what do ya'll think? What's it worth?

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me figure the worth of a Security-Six" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dbarale
October 28, 2007, 07:13 PM
In the condition you describe, I would say 350-450$.
Great guns, if you can get it you'll like it.

magsnubby
October 29, 2007, 01:04 AM
Around here, about $350.

foghornl
October 29, 2007, 03:14 PM
$350-$400 'round here is a fair price for both buyer-n-seller.

Ghost Tracker
October 29, 2007, 05:08 PM
Yep, I've bought, sold & traded several. $350-400 is a square deal for both parties. Then turn around & send it to Marc at Gemini Customs (Frankfort, Ky). Whoo Weee! Ruger Security Six + Gemini Customs = Works of Art! Really!

kingpin008
October 29, 2007, 05:16 PM
Believe me, I'd love to buy it from him. He's had it for a long time, and it's in great shape. He doesn't seem to want to get rid of it though. He's not really a shooter, but he does go occasionally.

He was talking about wanting a compact 9mm at some point, so I'm trying to convince him to sell it to me, to help finance the 9mm purchase, lol.

Joseph I
October 29, 2007, 05:46 PM
I paid $360. for mine a few months back, I took off the original grips and I love this gun. It got me to look at revolvers in a whole different way.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb147/berettaforum/SECSIX2.jpg

kingpin008
October 29, 2007, 05:49 PM
That looks almost identical to the one my brother-in-law has, save for slightly different grips.

It feels great in my hand, and you definetly can tell immediately it's a solid, beefy gun.

Gustav
October 29, 2007, 08:42 PM
The Ruger Security Six was under priced when they were selling them new today they still often go for less than a comparable S &W.

If it were me and I had the chance at one I would grab it in a heartbeat.
I would pay the extra money if it is in good working condition I can always replace the difference in money and won't miss the money later on but good opportunities to buy good examples often only knock once.

Prices on these are only going up.

Ala Dan
October 29, 2007, 08:53 PM
as $350 - $400 is a solid ballpark figure across the board~! :scrutiny: ;)

kingpin008
October 29, 2007, 08:56 PM
Gustav - Seems that way. Like I said, I'd love to buy it from him, he's just not selling. Yet. ;) He did promise to let me be the first to know when he does, though.

ArchAngelCD
October 29, 2007, 10:25 PM
I paid $299 for a 2 3/4" Service-Six in Blue last year.
The same store had a 2 3/4" Blue Security-Six for $325.
I would agree with the others, $350 to $400 is a fair price.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me figure the worth of a Security-Six" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!