My first gun failure (M&P Mag release issue)

PDA

kd7nqb
October 29, 2007, 04:27 AM
So today I am at the range with my buddy and I bring along my M&P .40 I shoot it, it shoots great. He shot it, same good groups. Then I go to shoot it and its shooting fine and the mag ejects for no reason. I figured I hit the release button. The next mag he shoots it does this same thing 2x in the same mag. From that point on the mag catch was unreliable at best. I messed with it by gripping it wrong to purposely make sure that I could not hit the mag release with my thumb.

So I bring it out to the range officer she says, she has heard of this issue and that Smith has a fix for it. She googles around for a moment and see's its more common with compact models but exists on full size as well. So long story short my gun needs to go back to S&W. This kinda aggravates me because the gun has less than 650rounds through it and I bought it on September 8th. Its also my first gun so it means a lot to me.

I just sent the email to smith explaining the issue. I hope all gets fixed nice and quick.

If you enjoyed reading about "My first gun failure (M&P Mag release issue)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nwilliams
October 29, 2007, 06:52 AM
The same thing happened to me after about 500rds through my M&P40.

I called S&W and the guy was very nice and quickly offered to email me a UPS shipping label. The next day I boxed up the gun, took it to UPS and shipped it back, no cost to me. I got the gun back about 10 days later and now about 5000 rds later the gun has been problem free.

I was also very upset when this happened to me and I was glad I could get the issue resolved so quickly and at no cost to me. I really love the gun its my dedicated ccw and I probably average about 700 rounds through it a month, I just love to shoot it.

armed85
October 29, 2007, 08:12 AM
This happened with my Compact as well. Smith & Wesson replaced the magazine catch with a "new and improved" one. Apparently, the magazine metal is harder than the metal of the magazine catch, so Smith now anodizes the catch to make it harder and reduce the wear.

My new magazine catch has little wear on it after just under 500 rounds. The old magazine catch had a lot of wear after only 150 rounds fired.

For my trouble, Smith put night sights on the gun. Others have received free magazines. Smith paid for shipping both ways.

Funny thing is, after all this trouble I find I don't like the gun. I would rather have a 9mm for less felt recoil. While .45 ACP feels fine to me in a 5" 1911, this little compact lacks the weight to soften the recoil. A 9mm would be more practical for me.

Live and learn, I guess.

joedotnet
October 29, 2007, 10:57 AM
if it makes you feel any better, the same thing is happening on my kahr pm9. :banghead:

gtmtnbiker98
October 29, 2007, 01:15 PM
This is odd, my MP45 just got picked up by UPS this morning for a trip back to the Mother Ship. Although not a magazine drop issue, my issue is a gun completely out of spec. I have experienced several FTFs and a very inconsistent finish. I bought this pistol NIB and it looked like it had already seen a few years of holster wear. Then the FTFs, I can't stand an unreliable weapon.

Hokkmike
October 29, 2007, 02:00 PM
gtmtnbiker...I am with you. An unreliable gun is like a person who lies to you one time out of three.

FieroCDSP
October 29, 2007, 03:21 PM
Don't be too angry, guys. These are mass-produced guns, and a fairly young design (especially the compacts and 45's). Every now and then one is bound to slip by QC, and when you make a few hundred thousand, you're going to have a few show up. Unfortunately, Smith (or any major company) is not able to shoot a thousand rounds out of each one to check for issues. That would skyrocket the costs to them and us. The best they can do is modify the designs as the few problems crop up, and take care of the customers. Smith has probably the best customer service in the business, and they want you to be happy so that you'll buy another gun from them.

Problems with the older full-sized guns is rare. I have an MPH series 40, and I've had no, nada, ziltch problems with it and I'm getting close to 2K rounds. Please be patient and let Smith do their thing.

kd7nqb
October 29, 2007, 04:31 PM
Please understand that I am not upset with S&W the gun has performed very well. I am hoping that smith will get back to me today so I can get the gun shipped out tomorrow. I may end up calling them if I get time today in between classes.

kd7nqb
October 30, 2007, 06:23 PM
Smith and Wesson got back to me today and they actually suggested that they just ship me a new mag release assembly with instructions instead. This should speed up the process. I actually would have preferred to send it back to the factory and have them do it but I could certainly install the part myself.

tydephan
October 30, 2007, 06:36 PM
It is painfully easy to replace. You'll have no problem. Should take less than five minutes.

If you don't want to do it, insist that they do the install on their dime. They should have no problem with that.

kd7nqb
October 31, 2007, 01:24 PM
I am pretty confident that I can do the replacement myself. I guess my initial objection was just that I am sure the Smith guys are more qualified than me so I wanted them to take a look at it. BTW do most companies test fire after they do a repair?

Hauptmann
October 31, 2007, 01:29 PM
New gun designs always have problems no matter who the maker is. The M&P is still a pretty new pistol and all the bugs are being worked out on it. If you want something that doesn't have these problems, pick a pistol design that has been on the market for about 10 years. Glock, H&K USP, Sig Sauer, Walther P99 are good examples. They've been around long enough to work out all the bugs.

tydephan
October 31, 2007, 01:52 PM
BTW do most companies test fire after they do a repair?

I think it listed a test fire on the check sheet that S&W sent back when my M&P had to be repaired. But I'm not sure if I can find it to verify.

My problem could be replicated, however, without the need to fire the gun. Thus it was not necessary to test the fix by firing the gun. But I think they did anyway.

If you really want them to fix it, just call them back and tell them you do not feel comfortable working on the gun. They'll send you a prepaid label and it's as easy as 1-2-3.

I actually asked them if they would send me the new mag release so I could do it myself, because I knew I probably wouldn't be home when the UPS man ran to deliver it back to me. But they told me it had to come back to the mothership. My reward was free night sights. :what:

kd7nqb
November 5, 2007, 04:17 AM
So, I got my new mag release in the mail today (yesterdays mail but have not picked it up till 11pm Sunday night). The only thing in the package was the mag release itself. I did not yet install it yet since I just worked a 16hr shift and dont think it would be responsible to handle guns at this point.

The only thing that kinda bugs me is everybody else who posted with the same issue said that when they got their gun back from S&W or when they got their parts. A few "Extras" were tossed in, either night sights or an extra mag or such. Now I dont expect these things but it would have been nice. Anyway I will install the part tomorrow. And hopefully later this week I will test fire it.

God I hope it works, I like that gun too much.

nwilliams
November 5, 2007, 04:24 AM
When I got mine back the new mag release was already installed, but I didn't get anything back other than the fixed gun. Would have been nice if they had tossed in some night sights or an extra mag:(

BTW do most companies test fire after they do a repair?

On the repair order I got back with the gun they acknowledged that they test fired mine. Don't know if all companies do it, but apparently S&W does, or did in my case.

FieroCDSP
November 5, 2007, 08:01 AM
I've had no problems with mine, but I noticed the mag-release is worn quite a bit. Not a single drop yet. Maybe I got a good one.:D With all of the people who had issues and got free night sights, maybe they should offer everyone who makes it 2 years and over 2000 rounds without an issue a free set of sights.

jeepmor
November 5, 2007, 09:31 AM
If this was like my witness, here's the issue.

The shoulders on the mag release are protruding through the frame into the magwell. I trimmed mine back a bit with my dremel and problem was solved. These shoulders reside on either side if the catch in the case of my witness and cannot be seen externally. This should be the case of any pistol with this issue.

Open to slidelock, remove magazine and peer into the magwell and check out the mag catch, is there part of it protruding into the mag well that shouldn't. This was the case with my Witness 10mm. That was a frustrating issue.

In your case, I'd say "I'm not qualified" and send it back and hope for night sights upgrades.

Hope this helps,

jeepmor

tydephan
November 5, 2007, 12:28 PM
The only thing that kinda bugs me is everybody else who posted with the same issue said that when they got their gun back from S&W or when they got their parts. A few "Extras" were tossed in, either night sights or an extra mag or such. Now I dont expect these things but it would have been nice.

kd,

Did you ask? I'm sure they would not have included anything when they fixed mine, but I voiced my displeasure in a letter taped to the front of the gun case and told them a set of night sights would re-establish my enthusiasm for the gun.

I doubt they would automatically (without solicitation) throw something in unless the gun has been back to the shop three times or more.

If you enjoyed reading about "My first gun failure (M&P Mag release issue)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!