Short-barreled shotgun prohibition in Alabama

PDA

BTR
July 15, 2003, 09:41 AM
Short-barreled shotguns and rifles are banned in my state of Alabama. We are generally a gun-owner friendly state, so how might we go about getting this prohibition eliminated? Is this feasable?

If you enjoyed reading about "Short-barreled shotgun prohibition in Alabama" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Preacherman
July 15, 2003, 09:43 AM
What are we talking about here? I'm assuming that the Federal legal limits of 18" barrels for shotguns and 16" barrels for rifles are still OK in your state. Do they ban NFA-legal shorter barrels, going further than the Federal regulations?

Old Fuff
July 15, 2003, 09:46 AM
First, define what a "short barreled" rifle or shotgun is. If it falls within the Federal limits of 16" on a rifle and 18" on a shotgun, a change is very unlikely. If the Alabama lengths are longer you might be able to get the law changed so that it was consistant with the Feds.

BTR
July 15, 2003, 10:55 AM
It is a class C felony for anyone other than a peace officer to have a rifle with less than a 16 inch barrel or less than 26 inches overall. For shotguns, the barrell must be at least 18 inches, with 26 inches overall.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/statelaws/22ndedition/alabama.pdf

There seems to be no exemption for guns registered under the NFA.

Hkmp5sd
July 15, 2003, 10:58 AM
SBSs are not allowed in Alabama, but AOWs are and they only cost a $5 transfer tax. Only difference is the AOW cannot have had a shoulder stock attached in a previous life.

BTW, SBSs are shotguns with a barrel <18" and overall length <26". They are legal when registered with the ATF and on the NFA registry. Some states still ban them, however.

CZ-75
July 15, 2003, 12:58 PM
From what I know about Alabama and my visits there, nothing that a payoff to some pols couldn't fix. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Short-barreled shotgun prohibition in Alabama" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!