Sub-Compact 9mm Dilemma!! Please contribute to my poll!!

PDA

ecureed
October 29, 2007, 09:10 PM
Well I just got some bonus money and you know it's burning a whole in my pocket!

I'd like to add a sub-compact 3.5" or lower 9mm to my collection. I currently have a full-size CZ 75b (9mm) and a compact CZ P-01. (I decided a while back that I would stick to 9mm's and that is all that I will consider.) This gun will for the most part be a truck/CCW (most likely IWB) gun.

So I need these attributes:
1)Sub-compact size
2)Durable finish (it's very humid here in NC)
3)Reliability (because it will be my primary vehicle/ccw weapon)

There are several sub-compact 9mm's on my radar and I'm having a hard time deciding. (I'd buy 'em all if I could) Just for fun I'd like to see how a poll with my aforementioned criteria will shake out. Oh and by the way I've only got so much money to spend so I've left out some higher end faves like the 9mm 1911's and H&K's. Just thought I'd mention that since they really aren't an option although I wish they were.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and recommendations!

If you enjoyed reading about "Sub-Compact 9mm Dilemma!! Please contribute to my poll!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
scurtis_34471
October 29, 2007, 09:15 PM
I am looking for one too and am seriously considering a Kahr MK9.

Ed Ames
October 29, 2007, 09:21 PM
Kel-tec PF-9 or P-11 w/hard chrome finish.

Why a subcompact for vehicle use?

ecureed
October 29, 2007, 09:25 PM
Why a subcompact for vehicle use?

It will ride concealed in the center console of my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I used to have a PT111 that fit perfectly in there. Also it will pull CCW duty and I prefer a smaller pistol for carry.

james_bond
October 29, 2007, 09:36 PM
the Springfield EMP is a 1911 style subcompact 9mm.
I voted the XD cuz I love my .45 tactical XD

Gustav
October 29, 2007, 09:45 PM
I voted CZ Rami since you are already familiar with the design and have spent trigger time and developed muscle memory using it.

Nothing beats familiarity and practice.

That is unless you want something different.

Catalina
October 29, 2007, 09:49 PM
Save this bonus, keep working hard for that next bonus & buy a Heckler & Koch P2000SK.

That new super-slim Walther PPS looks sweet, too.

ecureed
October 29, 2007, 09:53 PM
That new super-slim Walther PPS looks sweet, too.

I forgot about those. Do you know how much they are running?

rcellis
October 29, 2007, 10:07 PM
I ended up voting for the Kahr CW9 - slim and easy to conceal. But in terms of overall quality of arm, I'd have voted for the Walther -those are great little guns.

shield20
October 29, 2007, 10:08 PM
P99C - QA. Reliable, massive extractor, great ergonomics, ambi mag release, unobtrusive decocker, adj sights, good case support, tennifer finish, short consistent trigger, decent price...

Clipper
October 29, 2007, 10:26 PM
You need to include THE subcompact 9mm, the KT PF-9...

Pete409
October 29, 2007, 10:31 PM
I like the 9mm Taurus, PT111 Millennium Pro which I purchased almost 2 years ago. I have numerous other handguns (too many to list) of different sizes and calibers, but for a small 9mm, this one is a good choice, IMO.

Autolycus
October 29, 2007, 10:36 PM
Save up and buy a P2000sk. You can get them for a good price over at www.policeguns.com with night sights and 3 mags.

modifiedbrowning
October 29, 2007, 10:46 PM
I didn't vote, but from your list I would choose the Walther P99C.
My daily carry is a Firestorm Mini 9 (made by Bersa and I have carried my Bersa Thunder 9 UC, same gun basically). I would recommend the SS finish as the parkerized finish is a bit weak. Both have been perfectly reliable with at least 1k through each at this point.
www.bersafirearmsusa.com

PhillyGlocker
October 29, 2007, 10:56 PM
The Glock 26 is leading the poll for a reason. Listen and feel the pull of the Darkside. It is your fatheeerrr!!
http://starwars.mytopix.com/img/d/darth_vader-0.jpg

ecureed
October 29, 2007, 11:00 PM
the Glock 26 leading the way is certainly not surprising. I've fired my buddy's 26 and it was very accurate for such a little guy. I am however very surprised that out of 32 votes thus far the M&P has 2 and the Sig has 1! :eek:

Halo is for Kids
October 29, 2007, 11:20 PM
I voted CZ Rami since you are already familiar with the design and have spent trigger time and developed muscle memory using it.

Me2. I read in a GM article that the CZ SP-01 mags work in the RAMI so another plus there.

Autolycus
October 29, 2007, 11:21 PM
I would save for the P2000sk myself. But right now the best on your list is the Walther P99c in my opinion.

strickj
October 29, 2007, 11:30 PM
i voted xd my carry gun is a xd 9 service and i love it.i have also shot the sc
and it feels better than the glock!

R&J
October 29, 2007, 11:32 PM
Glock 26 for the following reasons:

. Reputation
. Reliability
. Accuracy
. Simplicity
. Ease Of Maintenance
. Parts Availability
. Service Availability
. Value

--Ray

strickj
October 29, 2007, 11:34 PM
it also has a smoother triger and that grip safety to cut down on those pinky toe removers

10-Ring
October 30, 2007, 01:37 AM
From the guns on your list, I really like the portability of the Kahr and the CW has just enough frame / grip to get a decent grip and the trigger is more than manageable. ;)

R12GS
October 30, 2007, 03:12 AM
Glock 26 for the following reasons:

. Reputation
. Reliability
. Accuracy
. Simplicity
. Ease Of Maintenance
. Parts Availability
. Service Availability
. Value

This man knows what he speaks of.

MPanova
October 30, 2007, 05:11 AM
Another vote here for the Taurus PT111

gtmtnbiker98
October 30, 2007, 08:03 AM
Glock or Kahr when it comes to sub-compact reliability; however, I voted for the Glock 26.

peashooter
October 30, 2007, 08:28 AM
I would, and do, go for one not on the list. Kahr K-9 Elite.

possum
October 30, 2007, 12:35 PM
i say go with the xd sc i have one in .40 and it is just amazing, accurate, quick on target, and dependable as hell. i have 1500+rds through mine with 0 issues. i am not a fan of baby glocks, the kahrs are nice i own a k-40 and again a great little gun that will serve you well. the k-9's are even better one more rd capacity and less recoil.

the pick for me is the xdsc.

TC-TX
October 30, 2007, 08:17 PM
Kahr - Thin, Lightweight and Powerful

denfoote
October 30, 2007, 08:25 PM
Kahr MK9.

ecureed
October 30, 2007, 09:12 PM
This ihas been a pretty strong showing for the Glock and XD. Of 84 votes so far they've gotten 54%.

I really think I'm leaning towards the Glock, XD, M&P, Kahr, and RAMI. Love the Walther but I really think they are about $100 more than I want to spend.

PhrankKastle
October 30, 2007, 11:16 PM
I voted Sig P239, that's what I've carried and it works well for me, I think alot of it is really just my old fashioned preference for an exposed hammer not a striker fired pistol.
I recently bought a S&W MP9C that I was going to replace it with but when I went to the range at my first mag swap when I released the slide the gun went off and put a round in the ground a couple of feet in front of my left foot, my friend and I could not repeat it but it was enough to make me stick with my tried and true P239, but I think any of the guns on your list will serve you well.

karz10
October 30, 2007, 11:53 PM
Glock 26

Your needs may vary, but that's my vote. I bought a G19 and plan to get a 26 so I can have same platform and function, but the sligtly smaller package of the 26 when needed.

For me, Glock had the reputation, and now my personal experience of being very reliable, low maintenance, and accurate/controlable even in it's compact and subcompact forms.

I've put a few thousand rounds through the 19 in about 6-7 months, shooting IDPA practices with it, and carry it daily now that I have CWP. No issues, no failures, works every time, and is as accurate as I am, or I let it be. Now that my skills are improving the gun is showing it's always been doing it's job.

And, as I say everytime on these types of polls, 33 round magazines.

karz

Golddog
October 31, 2007, 08:01 PM
The Kahr CW9 gets a nod for slender, lightweight concealment, but I didn't want to spend my life mastering its mediocre trigger - not bad for a striker-fired gun, but not like a decent SA, either.

So I'm happiest with the Rami - chunky, but not too heavy, and it can go cocked and locked, giving me a nice SA trigger pull that's easy to use by anyone. It's also reliable, accurate, ergonomically satisfactory, and comes with both a ten and a fourteen round magazine.

ABBOBERG
November 1, 2007, 10:19 PM
I own both a G26 and a PF9. There is no comparison. You get what you pay for - in spades.

BTW, a PF9 is in the "pocket" class, not sub-compact like the G26. If Glock made a pocket gun, I would still say it would be king of the heap.

I'm not a Glock fan per se - the G26 is the only Glock that I own. I have a lot of other guns, though. I was very impressed with the trigger, accuracy, low felt recoil, and overall fit and finish - plus a short trigger reset that works!

ecureed
November 1, 2007, 11:45 PM
well I've thought alot about this thing over the last couple days and I am really leaning hard towards buying a former co-worker's Kel-Tec P11.

It has had only about 4 mags fired through it (one of which was shot by me) and he wants $225. Its inexpensive, small, lightweight, and for the most part durable (from info I've read on this forum and others). I really don't want to spend a whole lot on something that could potentially be stolen from my vehicle. The Glock or XD will cost more than twice the KT.

I'm going to meet my friend at lunch tomorrow and take a second look at the KT and try to make my mind up. At this point I think the P11 really is the best option for what I am looking for here.

JDGray
November 2, 2007, 05:46 PM
I voted g26, I was however gonna add the P11 would be the last gun I'd buy. If you can hit with it, it would be alright, but that gun has the worst trigger I have ever shot. Anything out of a gut shot range, the thing is worthless. Mine did function 100%, and on certain good days, I could actually group with it. Good luck in your decision:)

ecureed
November 2, 2007, 07:33 PM
Well I bought my friend's P11 today! It's definitely not a looker, but it is what I was looking for. I won't be worried about it being stolen or scratched up. And as long as it proves to be reliable I will keep it. I plan to get it to the range tomorrow, I'll post a range report when I do.

Man, the Glock is kicking everybody's ass! (including the XD) It's amazing what a good reputation and loyal following Glock has earned.

R12GS
November 2, 2007, 08:13 PM
And as long as it proves to be reliable I will keep it

Good luck. If you get one that actually works reliably count yourself amongst the lucky.

Ala Dan
November 2, 2007, 08:28 PM
I voted for the Kahr CW-9~! :cool:

Its far less expensive, but just as good as other Kahr firearms. Mine has 'bout
200 flawless rounds thru it so far; without as much as a burp~! ;) :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Sub-Compact 9mm Dilemma!! Please contribute to my poll!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!