How long should you wait between shots

PDA

kimbervt
October 30, 2007, 09:15 AM
I am shooting a kimber 300 wsm with rl22 powder and trying to find which combo of seating depth,grains, etc... work best for my rifle. I know this is a hot round and I was wondering how long I should wait between shots.

If you enjoyed reading about "How long should you wait between shots" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
USSR
October 30, 2007, 11:01 AM
I am shooting a kimber 300 wsm with rl22 powder and trying to find which combo of seating depth,grains, etc... work best for my rifle.

That's something only you can determine, thru load development work with a chronograph. As for how long you should wait between shots, maybe this will help: in F Class, we shoot 25-30 rounds in 30 minutes, and the barrels get quite warm.

Don

Mal H
October 30, 2007, 11:12 AM
I think it all depends on what kind of data you're looking for. If you want to know with some accuracy where that first shot is going to go, then you probably need to wait 10 minutes or more between shots. You will also need to have the barrel in the same condition for each shot, probably clean between shots.

If you want to know what kind of groups you'll get during an average shooting session, then less time is necessary, maybe a minute or less, and no cleaning between shots.

Jim Watson
October 30, 2007, 11:39 AM
For basic work in a hunting rifle, I figure one shot a minute for one group of five, then let cool. For actual hunting, the first shot from a clean cold barrel is what counts. I have known of people to keep taking one target to the range for days or weeks, firing their first clean cold shot at it to establish accuracy and get a zero; then fooling around on another target for group shooting.

snuffy
October 30, 2007, 01:09 PM
With modern smokeless powder and non-corrosive primers, we don't need to clean rifles as soon as we shoot them. That fact allows us to sight in, then leave it fouled to go hunting. That's what I do.

As a matter of fact, my Browning 300 WSM shoots better after about 10 rounds through a clean barrel. It is wild until AFTER the tenth round. As for how long to wait, I feel the barrel, if it's too hot to hold tightly for 5 seconds, it's too hot to shoot another round. Of course with the temps in the fifties here lately, it don't take long for it to cool. It takes about 5 rounds to get it too hot. That's why I take a second, or even a third rifle with me, so one can cool while I'm getting another one hot.

For those that insist on having a clean bbl, then what you really want to know is where the second round will hit! Yeah, I know we're supposed to only need one shot, but buck fever happens, you miss the first time, where is the second one going to hit? Some rifles it is quite a ways away from the first from a clean bbl.

If you enjoyed reading about "How long should you wait between shots" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!