Handgun encyclopedias?

PDA

Matt304
October 31, 2007, 12:45 AM
Lately I've become interested in picking up a few new pistols. Everytime I begin looking around into new brands, I seem to find something I like that I have never seen before. So, I'd like to get a new encyclopedia that has good photos of about every available handgun in existance.

Is there a good book or books that will show me everything that is out there?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun encyclopedias?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Autolycus
October 31, 2007, 12:53 AM
Check out worldguns.

max popenker
October 31, 2007, 05:02 AM
To have EVERY gun, especially in a book, it's just impossible.
There are some "generalized" handgun books, i.e. annual Gun Digest book of Handguns, annual issues of Handguns mag, as well as some books dedicated to the partial subject, i.e. Modern Combat Pistols (http://world.guns.ru/handguns/pistolbook-e.htm) by yours truly ;)

also, there are some online databases such as Genitron (http://www.genitron.com/) or Modern Firearms (http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg00-e.htm) (also by yours truly ;))

Gustav
October 31, 2007, 01:50 PM
You may wish to pick up some very good books on the subject ones IMO that any one who takes owning a handgun seriously should own are listed below:

Handguns 2007 by Ken Ramage shows what is current

100 Greatest Combat Pistols by Timothy J Mullin
Tests most handguns encountered worldwide

Combat Handgunnery 4th edition by Chuck Taylor
Anything Chuck Taylor writes is top notch and comes from decades of experience

Handguns Of The World by Edward C Ezell
A good historical look at the history and evolution of many handguns worldwide

Combat Handgunnery 5th edition by Massad Ayoob
An update to the 4th edition well worth adding as it cover allot

The Semi Automatic Pistol in Police Service and Self Defense by Massad Ayoob
A good evaluation of many of the designs although a little dated as it is a few years old and many new pistols have come out since.

Principles of Personal Defense by Col. Jeff Cooper
A must have as it explains the proper mindset to win.

While many are not encyclopedias they are great sources of information and well worth adding to your collection if a book teaches only one thing then it is worth the price.

Best of luck.;)

Avenger
October 31, 2007, 09:17 PM
While they may go beyond the information you are looking for, you can't go wrong with anything by Ian Hogg. Some of his books are absolute treasure troves, others have no real information at all, but they are all well written and a good way to spend an otherwise wasted evening.

Autolycus
October 31, 2007, 09:40 PM
Lots of books out there. Is there a specific gun your looking for?

Dienekes
October 31, 2007, 11:41 PM
How things have changed. Used to be a large catalogue put out by Stoeger, showing what existed (not all that much in 1960). Even a kid could keep most of it straight. I flunked algebra but knew my guns. Ruger .22 autopistols were $37.50 and S&W Combat Magnums (not Model 19s!) were $100. The S&W .44 magnum was a whopping $140 in the furnished case.

But then it was about the same with cars, too.

Now I can't tell one thing from another. But then I have what I want now. However, good luck. Just remember that there is no such thing as a free lunch and quality is never a mistake.

jerkyman45
November 1, 2007, 05:42 PM
I've got a copy of Gun Digest's Handguns 2006 next to me right now and that is a very good source of information on handguns.

bannockburn
November 3, 2007, 10:56 PM
Someone much wiser than me once wrote,that every time you buy a gun, you buy a gun book. That way you increase your knowledge while you add to your collection. Over time I think your books will serve you, albeit in a different way, as well as your guns will.

Matt304
November 4, 2007, 12:06 AM
Thanks guys for the suggestions.

There really is not one thing that I seek. I just like newer, different looking designs that stand out against the rest.

For instance I suddenly found the Magnum Research Lone Eagle pistol as an "advanced" looking powerful handgun to me and bought one. I hadn't previously liked it a lot in the past, some feel they are downright ugly. But my tastes seem to have changed over the last few years.

I also discovered the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan lately and fell in love.

Another is the EAA Witness Elite. Oh and the SW model 627 V-comp, just to name a few.

As you can see I find an interest mainly in newer guns that have a twist on what is average.

So any book that covers present, but also dating back far enough to cover recent designs which may have been discontinued. I just want retail price, a photo, and calibers as well as basic description. I don't need an in-depth history of the gun.

What would you say, Gun Digest, Handguns, or World Guns (or all three)? I would say that the book which has all of the models I listed in it is probably the winner for me.

22-rimfire
November 4, 2007, 12:23 AM
If you are that interested, I'd get both Gun Digest and Gun Digest's Handguns. I'm not very familiar with World Guns although I have an older issue. They also provide manufacturer's website addressess and you can supplement with web info. I would just start buying which ever annual references you seem to like the best and keep it up for a couple of years. For me, I like Gun Digest. I have just about every issue back to 1950 and find them a great source of information both historical and current.

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun encyclopedias?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!