Good heavens. Laura Croft is a criminal

PDA

charleym3
July 15, 2003, 04:17 PM
As I was watching the teaser for the next Tomb Raider movie, the line about "The queen wants you to proceed" or something to that effect, it suddenly hit me. Handguns are outlawed in GB, but she owns at least two. She doesn't work for the Government therefore she is a criminal.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good heavens. Laura Croft is a criminal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mike Irwin
July 15, 2003, 04:21 PM
Hollywood getting something wrong in a movie...

Especially regarding firearms and/or firearms laws.

I'm shocked...

Gordon Fink
July 15, 2003, 04:23 PM
Actually, Lara Croft is supposed to be rich, if I’m not mistaken. Wealth grants privilege, regardless of where one lives.

~G. Fink

spacemanspiff
July 15, 2003, 04:30 PM
hope you dont mind if i use this thread to post other errors about firearm handling in movies/tv.

i watched the first season of "OZ" this last weekend. a CO gave a glock to Minister Said, which he later used in the riots at Em City. Said draws down on Adabeesi who is going through withdrawals from heroin. the slide doesnt look like its fitted to the frame. the muzzle end looks about a quarter inch off the slide, with the rear looking normal. next camera shot it looks completely normal.
then, in the investigation (now in the 2nd season) it is discovered an inmate was shot 3 times with a 9mm. the investigator says "the SORT team uses aught-six in their rifles, the inmate had 9mm in him." the SORT team actually was using AR-15s, chambered in .223.
then, they discover McManus has 9mm rounds in him, and they say it 'was fired from a glock of sig sauer'. the investigator says a sig sauer was recovered after the riot, when in fact, it was a glock that Said was in possession of.

another terrible representation was in the movie "the transporter". every round shot was a tracer round. from steyr augs, uzis, berettas, every single gun was firing tracers.

El Tejon
July 15, 2003, 04:31 PM
Pistols are banned in Chicago, but Oprah's got a bunch.:D

Follow the golden rule: get the gold, make the rules!;)

4v50 Gary
July 15, 2003, 05:16 PM
Raiding tombs may recover artifacts, but without the scientific methodlogy of recovery, all knowledge associated with the object is lost. Croft's crime is the same as Indiana Jones - against archaelogy & the preservation of knowledge. Outlaw fictional archaelogists! ;)

SoCalGeek
July 15, 2003, 05:16 PM
Don't forget, Lara also had several other guns we can only dream of, including Steyr TMPs! And the baddies had suppressed G36s... lucky #$@^&@$

GSB
July 15, 2003, 05:20 PM
Lara also had several other guns we can only dream of

Yes. Yes she does.

winstonsmith
July 15, 2003, 05:25 PM
:D :o :evil: :uhoh:

Intune
July 15, 2003, 05:42 PM
Yes. Yes she does.

GSB has got my vote for quote of the week. Great Guns! :what:

Lord Grey Boots
July 15, 2003, 05:46 PM
Unfortunately, in the movie, they are replicas.....:D , but the pistols might be real....

BadWolf
July 15, 2003, 05:50 PM
In some promotional movie stills for the upcoming tomb raider movie, they show Lara Croft (A. Jolie) coming out of the water with an HK P11 underwater pistol! She sure does have access to some hard to get weaponry!

Zedicus
July 15, 2003, 06:40 PM
Gordon Fink:Actually, Lara Croft is supposed to be rich, if I’m not mistaken. Wealth grants privilege, regardless of where one lives.

~G. Fink

An Unfortunate fact I'm affraid.....:(

MicroBalrog
July 15, 2003, 06:52 PM
Handguns are outlawed in GB,

Legally speaking, they're not outlawed per se, but re-classified as "Class 5 firearms" - the same as machineguns and cannons. Apparently, there are only 4 Class license-holders in GB. (Some rumours claim there's only one - Salman Rushdi).

10-Ring
July 15, 2003, 07:10 PM
Ahhhh...Lara Croft....Angelina Jolie...ahhhh!!! Best movies ever! :D Once you get past that fact everything else falls into place ;)

Cosmoline
July 15, 2003, 07:20 PM
So all you have to do to get a pistol permit in the UK is write famous novels and have an entire religion demand your painful death?

charleym3
July 15, 2003, 10:07 PM
For those of you more knowledgeable than I, what were the tools of her trade in the first movie? I'm guessing HK USP in .40 S&W. And where can I see a loading system like hers. I'd like to have one for a pair of Glock 21s.

Don Gwinn
July 15, 2003, 10:19 PM
Not true, not true. Agricola once explained how easy it is to get a permit to carry a handgun in GB. All you have to do is make sure that your name appears on a hit list put down in writing by a terrorist group, the IRA being the usual method.

Of course, that doesn't give you the right to own a pistol, you understand. The gun and ammo are provided by Ministry of Defense or somebody like that, presumably to be returned when the official threat officially ends. :uhoh:

Mike Irwin
July 15, 2003, 10:38 PM
Yeah, but would you want a couple of guns used by Billy Bob Thornton?

No longer mint condition... :o :D

cool45auto
July 15, 2003, 10:59 PM
Mmm hmm;)

what were the tools of her trade in the first movie?

Weren't they Sig 210's in 45?:confused: Don't know Sigs that well at all.:rolleyes:

Moparmike
July 16, 2003, 02:36 AM
I thought they were DE's.

DontShootMe
July 16, 2003, 03:27 AM
Deagles?

BadWolf
July 16, 2003, 04:07 AM
Actually, the handguns Angelina Jolie used in the Tombraider movies are HK USP Match pistols.

winstonsmith
July 16, 2003, 04:58 AM
http://www.hkpro.com/uspmatch.htm

Yep.

Nightcrawler
July 16, 2003, 05:34 AM
You know, many of these action flicks would much much more enjoyable for me, at least, if they toned down the action just a BIT and made the gunplay, the explosions, and the action just a BIT more realistic. This includes the Bond flicks, Tomb Raider, and even the Charlies Angels flicks. (Though Tomb Raider was hands down one of the stupidest movies I've ever seen; it needs more than good gun handling and slightly-toned-down action to salvage it.) I mean, James Bond could still be James Bond, with the gadgets, the girls, and the martinis, and have realistic shooting/gun handling...

In any case, yeah, Lara Croft carries USP45 Matches. Wouldn't have been what I'd have picked for her, if I were the set armorer and were directing the gunplay in the movie. I'd give her USP45s, but probably tacticals or something like that. The Match just isn't that practical.

Travis McGee
July 16, 2003, 12:15 PM
Anybody who reads my book "Enemies Foreign And Domestic" will see a lot of Lara Croft in my female protagonist Ranya! She shoots, rides motorcycles, and kicks ???.

Sactown
July 16, 2003, 08:46 PM
Those guns that Angelina uses arent' stock. It seems they needed barrel extensions as the stock barrels were too small. :D

Boats
July 16, 2003, 09:13 PM
Anybody who reads my book "Enemies Foreign And Domestic" will see a lot of Lara Croft in my female protagonist Ranya! She shoots, rides motorcycles, and kicks ???.

IOW, the character is a set of male traits and interests that you have sexually reassigned and recast as your dream girl?:evil:

Works for me, despite the homoerotic subtext of such an exercise, as women who are actually like that, and good-looking, are few and far between, or "not available" to straight males.:D

George Hill
July 16, 2003, 10:48 PM
"Wealth grants privilege, regardless of where one lives."

Yup. Just look at the Clintons.

Murder.
Treason.
Larceny.

You could make a long list of all the dodged charges. No wonder they are out of Arkansas.

Travis McGee
July 16, 2003, 11:23 PM
Boats:

Hey, I can dream, can't I??

BamBam-31
July 17, 2003, 01:51 AM
Must. Not. Fondle. Guns. :evil:

(Sorry, Mrs. Eatman. :D )

charleym3
July 18, 2003, 11:21 PM
She is my kind of woman. Carrys a gun and rides an bike.
And now for the seriously sexist remark,
She carries a pair of 38s, and a gun too.

Tamara
July 19, 2003, 02:39 AM
Well, I am thinking about selling the TL1000S and getting some used beater 600, like an older CBR or Ninja... ;)

Sunray
July 19, 2003, 02:55 AM
It's a movie. Movies are not reality. What you see in movies doesn't count! Geez!

Travis McGee
July 19, 2003, 03:27 AM
Tamara: I think Angelina Jolie could play a very good Ranya Bardiwell!

PATH
July 19, 2003, 03:33 AM
Pretty girl with outstanding firearms. She rides a bike and I'll betcha she can knock back a few beers as well. Well, it sounds too good to be true. I guess it just ain't meant to be for me but I can dream can't I?

What does Billy Bob got that we ain't got? Never mind! What a stupid question that was!:rolleyes:

Phyphor
July 19, 2003, 04:55 AM
Lara Croft Vs. Tamara... who'd win?

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Schuey2002
July 19, 2003, 05:51 AM
Tamara would!

Agolina: Totin' twin USP Match's..

Tamara: Totin' a .577-450 Henry-Martini putting 450 grain rounds downrange..

Advantage Tamara! :p

Newton
July 19, 2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Tamara

Well, I am thinking about selling the TL1000S and getting some used beater 600, like an older CBR or Ninja...

I had a lot of friends who liked motorcycles, with the emphasis on the past tense. In the realm of my experience it makes little difference what you ride, you WILL have an accident sooner or later.

Firearms are a much safer hobby :)

Newton

Tamara
July 20, 2003, 10:17 AM
In the realm of my experience it makes little difference what you ride, you WILL have an accident sooner or later.

I appreciate the concern, but you're a little late (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36868) with the warning. ;) (I have enough metal in my leg to build a bridge out of, which impedes my running, jumping, and raiding of tombs, but doesn't really affect my shooting or riding. :D )

Newton
July 20, 2003, 10:31 PM
Sorry I couldn't have been of assistance earlier. I guess rolling down the road really spoiled the finish on those H&K USP Experts too ;)

Anyhoo, a limp can be very becoming, sort of distinguished :)

Newton

If you enjoyed reading about "Good heavens. Laura Croft is a criminal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!