question for CCW holders

PDA

mr_blove
October 31, 2007, 11:42 AM
How often do you cycle out the ammo you carry, I was told new ammo every 6 months is this true?

If you enjoyed reading about "question for CCW holders" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PaulBk
October 31, 2007, 12:28 PM
At least a couple of times a year seems to be the consensus opinion. Some go longer, many shorter. I cycle my carry ammo each time I go to the range (every couple of weeks), but then again I shoot HST which is inexpensive enough to shoot regularly.

-Paul

Hoppy590
October 31, 2007, 12:38 PM
i will normaly do it when i got to the range. i carry hardball mostly. none of that HP or what have you. so its pretty cheap to just treat that one box of ammo like the rest of the practice ammo i send down range

mljdeckard
October 31, 2007, 12:44 PM
In all reality, I cycle out my war rounds about once a year. I should do it more often, but it seems to slip by me. What I look at more than the actual length of time that has passed, is how chewed up they are becoming from repeated cycling in and out of the pistol.

ATAShooter
October 31, 2007, 12:49 PM
My pistol came with 2 magazines, so I also switch magazines twice a year just to be nice to the magazine springs.

esq_stu
October 31, 2007, 12:58 PM
When I go to the range, whatever I've been carrying (what's in the gun plus one reload) gets shot first. Then I shoot a bunch of WWB, then I refill the gun and reload with my carry ammo. Due to a very heavy travel schedule, I don't get to do that more than 3-4 times per year.

BTW, the last time I did, the ammo in both mags - the one in the PM9 and the one in my pocket - were pretty dusty with pocket lint.

ZeSpectre
October 31, 2007, 01:13 PM
My carry ammo gets cycled about once every couple of months. I get overly paranoid about the "setback/overpressure (http://libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=178720)" issue with .40 S&W so I'm also pretty careful about not cycling the top round repeatedly.

See also this article (http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/setback.html) (by the way it's not just Glock!)

skipjack_1st
October 31, 2007, 01:15 PM
Once a year. I have yet to experience any problems with this rate. More often would be nce but on top of the practice ammo cost the JHP really brings up the $. If I ever have a problem going that long, I'll have to adjust.

Bobo
October 31, 2007, 01:32 PM
Every time I go to to range (about twice a month) I shoot what is in my gun first, just to see what would have happened if I really needed it in a bad situation. So far, so good - it has run perfectly every time!:D

For the rest of the session I shoot cheap range ammo.

When I leave I reload with fresh carry ammo.

The-Fly
October 31, 2007, 01:41 PM
I usually shoot off my chambered round every few months to avoid setback issues. Other then that, I don't worry too much about cycling my ammo.

jefnvk
October 31, 2007, 01:45 PM
Shoot the stuff in the gun every range trip.

mavracer
October 31, 2007, 02:16 PM
I'm not sure as to shelf life,I've shot quite a bit of mil-surp ammo thats 50+ years old without problem.I useually shoot it when it becomes tarnished.

TX1911fan
October 31, 2007, 04:36 PM
Now that I have chosen what I will carry, I'll shoot it about every 6 months or so.

romma
October 31, 2007, 04:49 PM
I am about at an every year pace...

obxned
October 31, 2007, 05:28 PM
I usually do it every other range trip, but I never let it go more than three months. It's not the ammo that I worry about, but if the gun/ magazine/ammo combination still functions perfectly.

Guitargod1985
October 31, 2007, 05:33 PM
I don't really cycle my carry ammo with any regularity. I sometimes expend it when I go shooting though. I would say it could range (no pun intended) from a couple of weeks to a few months. But under no circumstances will I leave the same ammo in a carry gun for more than four months.

CoRoMo
October 31, 2007, 06:05 PM
I try to fire through the box of my 'carry rounds' in a year's time.
The question is... why?

The Lone Haranguer
October 31, 2007, 09:52 PM
What I look at more than the actual length of time that has passed, is how chewed up they are becoming from repeated cycling in and out of the pistol.

Agreed, and also watch for "telescoping" of the bullet into the case. This will usually just happen to the topmost round in your magazine. Damaged rounds should be discarded. If stored under reasonable conditions, ammo can last for decades, so there is no particular reason to worry about "shelf life."

Autolycus
October 31, 2007, 09:57 PM
I dont carry but I cycle my home defense ammo every 3 months or so.

mr_blove
October 31, 2007, 10:11 PM
I am not so worried about self life but wear and tear on the round itself and I am constantly unloading and loading it as I go to the range(about 2 or 3 times a month). I carry a XD45 with Speer Gold Dot and they are too expensive to shoot every time I go to the range. The rounds I am currently carrying I have had for about 10 months.

Mad Magyar
October 31, 2007, 10:31 PM
I still go by my practice of firing off 30% of PD ammo from the top of the mags with the remainder FMJ....
Whatever my carry gun is for the moment/season, I will fire once a week and rotate my other pistols by caliber on a schedule..
I'm fortunate that I have the time & means while others aren't as fortunate.:o

If you enjoyed reading about "question for CCW holders" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!