Taurus losing my loyalty...

PDA

98C5
October 31, 2007, 01:20 PM
I've had Taurus products for many years. Last month I bought a PT1911. After having it a week, I noticed the right safety lever was broken. I haven't even shot it yet. So, I called customer service and they told me to mail the piece back to them and they'll send a replacement asap. Cool.

2.5 weeks go by, nothing. I just called them and asked about the part.

Them: "Sorry sir it is on backorder. We should have more in 2 weeks."
Me: "Well I was going to use this as my concealed pistol, good thing I have my Springfield 1911."
Them: "It should be 2 more weeks."
Me: "Um, okay, whatever" I hang up.

Here's an idea......TAKE ONE APART AND GET THESE PARTS TO THE CUSTOMER THAT ALREADY HAS ONE!!!!!

Argh, like I said, good thing I have my Springfield.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus losing my loyalty..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tinygnat219
October 31, 2007, 02:12 PM
You aren't the only one. I have recently divested myself of all things Taurus. Take my PT 145 and substitute your term for "Recoil spring Guide Rod assembly" and you will experience the same problems I did. 4 months... out of 6 my gun was inoperable. I called them on a weekly basis only to hear the same thing. Ask to speak to a supervisor and then get his direct extension. This helps a little bit.

Ghost Tracker
October 31, 2007, 02:30 PM
shhhh, be quiet...CAREFUL guys. There are some Taurus fans around these parts who take serious offense to anyone with a story that doesn't endorse/confirm their loyalty. I relayed such an experience once & was taken over the coals.

98C5
October 31, 2007, 02:54 PM
shhhh, be quiet...CAREFUL guys. There are some Taurus fans around these parts who take serious offense to anyone with a story that doesn't endorse/confirm their loyalty. I relayed such an experience once & was taken over the coals

Be that as it may, I'm not bashing Taurus as a whole. I've had many pistols over the years from them that has given me nothing but satisfaction. However, my problem with them now is being taken WAY too lightly by their customer service. You know they play patriotic music while you're on hold, 2nd amendment this and that, which is great. BUT, I need a functional pistol to carry and protect myself. Good thing I did have another 1911 to carry. Oh well, guess I'll stick with Springfield.

WOODROW
October 31, 2007, 02:59 PM
I owned a PT99AF several years ago and loved it. I have owned one of the new 1911's and hated every thing about it. Within 100 rnds the rear sight slipped off. I had to have the recoild rod replaced because mine cracked after around 300 rnds. Just like you I waited almost 5 months for the factory to do something and got nothing for my trouble. I had it fixed PROPERLY at my expense and then traded it for my Springfield XD .45. GREAT TRADE!! No more Taurus paper weights here. I guess that explains why they have a lifetime warranty. You really need it if you buy one.

jwr_747
October 31, 2007, 03:03 PM
no need to be quiet,if a item has any moving parts,it's gonna have problems.I have 2 Taurus Mod 85's that are over 15years old,I think,not any problems out of either.I've got S&W's,Colts,Rugers,Nagants,H&R's,High Standards,ect,ect. no major problems out of any of them.if I start having problems,am I going on a "bad mouth" campaign,no.I've bought several weapons from folks who had bought a "piece of crap" only to find out THEY didn't clean the thing first,had trash ammo,limp wristed the semi-auto,didn't have enough brains to adjust the rear sight,the list is endless.I,like most folks,expect something new to work,if it don't,fix it or get it fixed,I don't mind tweaking the feed lips of that Kimber to make it work.but guess it's like all things,Chevy or Ford,Bama or ( god forbid) Big Orange. no need to have a stroke over a piece of equipment. jwr

Grandpa Shooter
October 31, 2007, 03:16 PM
This thread is a perfect example of my question, "What constitutes a good gun?" Just because something doesn't work for one individual doesn't mean it is a "bad" gun. When I was a range safety officer at a large metro public shooting range I frequently was asked to help a shooter figure out what was "wrong" with that person's gun. About 75% of the time it was the limitations of the person, or the ammo, or the technique of the person shooting.

Of course there were gun issues. As long as something is man-made, there will always be issues. Depending on how often the factory recalibrates it's equipment, or replaces key components, the fit and finish will vary greatly from start of run to end of run guns. When I ordered two Uberti 357 Colt replicas, I stupulated they had to be as close together in production run numbers as possible. Got them only 14 guns apart and are nearly identical to shoot.

As much as people hate to admit it, tools (guns) made by tools (milling, lathing, etc. are always going to vary.

98C5
October 31, 2007, 03:18 PM
Um, jwr, it was brand new. It was never shot(except factory). Not having a stroke here, trust me. Like I said,I have a reliable Springfield. I'll sell this Taurus whenever the part comes in. Most likely, I'll be buying an aftermarket safety.

98C5
October 31, 2007, 03:21 PM
(sigh) Grandpa, I never said it was a bad gun. The part they used to assemble the gun was defective(broken). It will take over a month to receive the new part. This is the problem.

George Hill
October 31, 2007, 03:55 PM
We had a PT 1911 that was like that. The ambi-safety on the right side of the frame would push down, but wouldn't take the rest of the safety with it. We sent the gun back to Taurus and it came back in 2 weeks fixed. We checked other guns and the 6 others we had did not show this problem. We've also not had any PT1911's come back with other issues.
I still think they are reasonable guns for the money, but for a few bucks more you could get into a S&W, Springfield, or Kimber and you would really have a fine handgun.

Ghost Tracker
October 31, 2007, 04:02 PM
but for a few bucks more you could get into a S&W, Springfield, or Kimber and you would really have a fine handgun.

There ya' go!

Highland Ranger
October 31, 2007, 04:06 PM
You know they play patriotic music while you're on hold, 2nd amendment this and that,

One word: Smartgun.

obxned
October 31, 2007, 05:12 PM
If they actually cared, they would NEXT DAY UPS that part to you, or at very least, first class snail-mail. I had been looking at a Taurus, but I think I'll pass.

Mad Magyar
October 31, 2007, 05:24 PM
It's refreshing to see a gun get blasted other than my beloved LLAMA's, the forum poster child for a big POS!!!:D

98C5
October 31, 2007, 05:42 PM
Hey Mad, I had an older Llama 1911 .45 with the laynard that was polished nickel. It was heavy as hell but still an incredible shooter. I wish I still had it. I wouldn't mind the messed-up safety IF Taurus could get me one in a reasonable amount of time. And to George and Ghost, I do have a Springfield Loaded LDA with nite sights. Awesome gun!!!

rcellis
October 31, 2007, 06:22 PM
Let me get this straight... never shot and it had a broken safety lever - so you bought a broken gun and are upset that it's taking time for the company to get parts in?

Too late for you, but Step One: Don't Buy A Broken Gun

98C5
October 31, 2007, 06:31 PM
I bought it online. It was fine when I received it. Some time during my posession, the lever broke. Do not know how or why. So don't start the buyer beware crap.

Misfire99
October 31, 2007, 06:34 PM
I think the fact that a new gun had a defective part tells the story. I suspect that this is a problem that Taurus didn't find out about until many pistols had been sold. They redesigned the part, or just changed the material of the part, and began to replace them on all of the pistols in stock. This would explain why they didn't cannibalize a pistol to get you the part. The one they would take off would break as well. I'm sure there is a level of frustration here but I'm sure that it's much higher at Taurus then at your house. You only have one broke pistol. I wonder how many Taurus has.

Majic
October 31, 2007, 06:40 PM
Why didn't you take the pistol back to the dealer since it hadn't been shot or do you think you broke the part?

plexreticle
October 31, 2007, 07:01 PM
I've had problems with S&W, Sigs and Taurus.

They just don't make guns like they used to I suppose.

denfoote
October 31, 2007, 07:19 PM
Taurus makes decent revolvers. I own two of them.
The PT92 is also a decent gun. I also have it and have had no major problems. I've put in a new locking block, but I figure that is just like putting new tires on your car. I obtained the gun from a friend who swore that the mag release was defective. The mag would drop for no appearent reason!! I saw it happen!! Rather than send it in, he gave it to me. I have not had that problem to date!! Maybe it likes me!!

I do look askance at the rest of the Taurus line, however!!

Marshall
October 31, 2007, 07:34 PM
98C5,

Sorry to hear about your experience, frustrating to say the least. I hope it gets better from here.

Thanks for the heads up.

SouthpawShootr
October 31, 2007, 07:48 PM
I'm a Taurus fan, but I'll be the first to admit that their CS is just slightly above awful. Apparently, they don't expect that people will actually use their products. If their PT1911 ever comes out in 9mm, I'll buy one. If a common part fails (one that is available aftermarket), I'll replace it with Wilson, Brown, or some other reputable 1911 manufacturer.

bluetopper
October 31, 2007, 07:59 PM
I wish their CS could be like Hi Point's. Ship you whatever part you need right then, same day, no questions asked and at no charge.

Texastbird
October 31, 2007, 08:07 PM
Keep bashing the PT1911s and maybe they will have to lower the prices and I will be able to buy another one cheaper, snicker, snicker.

craig_o
October 31, 2007, 08:26 PM
shhhh, be quiet...CAREFUL guys. There are some Taurus fans around these parts who take serious offense to anyone with a story that doesn't endorse/confirm their loyalty. I relayed such an experience once & was taken over the coals.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Just see my sig line, boys and girls.

mavracer
October 31, 2007, 08:26 PM
Keep bashing the PT1911s and maybe they will have to lower the prices and I will be able to buy another one cheaper, snicker, snicker.
ya cool it worked on the gauchos,everyones got them down around $300 now and if you can check em out before purchase you can have a fine gun.

Autolycus
October 31, 2007, 09:10 PM
Seems like they need to work on their customer service. It is pretty shady that the gun broker without being fired. If you bought it broken then you are responsible for it. It is their fault but I would not complain about the wait as you bought the broken gun.

jpwilly
November 1, 2007, 12:58 AM
You can bash the Customer Service Dept all you want...they deserve it! BUT my Taurus PT1911 and PT145 aren't broke and haven't broke - great pistols! Too bad you got a bad one + bad customer service.

tinygnat219
November 1, 2007, 07:26 AM
I have shared 98C5's problem with their customer service department on the two occasions I have sent guns back to Taurus. It seems parts are constantly on backorder and a reliable status can't be determined.

I try to like Taurus, I really do. However, due to my experiences, I simply cannot in good faith recommend another Taurus product.

kestak
November 1, 2007, 08:07 AM
Greetings,

I shipped my Milleninum at the beginning of August and I am still waiting. They are B.O. in magazine catch parts too. All I got was a "sorry sir" and I am still waiting for my gun.

I am seriously thinking not doing business with them again.

Thank you

Ghost Tracker
November 1, 2007, 09:22 AM
I am seriously thinking not doing business with them againWaiting three (3!) months for repair & a magazine catch?!? With all due respect kestak, how badly does a company have to treat you before you take your money elsewhere?

kestak
November 1, 2007, 09:30 AM
Greetings,

This is the first bad experience I have with Taurus. I had previously good experiences. It is why I am a little bit more forgetful than I am usually. But my patience is running out now.

Thank you

Ghost Tracker
November 1, 2007, 10:07 AM
I'm not trying to bait you, I'm just asking...Have you're previously good experiences been with Taurus products not needing repair OR with Taurus Warranty/Customer Service being fast & correct?

kestak
November 1, 2007, 10:17 AM
Greetings,

No offense or felt of beeing bait felt here...:)

I had a problem with a magazine and they sent me a bottom plate in less than one week. All my other experiences with taurus are with a good wuality of the gun.

Thank you

tinygnat219
November 1, 2007, 10:29 AM
Kestak,

I shipped my Milleninum at the beginning of August and I am still waiting. They are B.O. in magazine catch parts too.

My part BO was 4 months plus. Didn't solve problem. Sold gun.

Sorry to hear your experience has been frustrating as well.

joab
November 1, 2007, 10:43 AM
I had a problem with a magazine and they sent me a bottom plate in less than one week. All my other experiences with taurus are with a good wuality of the gun.

shhhh, be quiet...CAREFUL kestak. There are some Taurus bashers around these parts who take serious offense to anyone with a story that doesn't endorse/confirm their hatred.

kestak
November 1, 2007, 10:51 AM
Greetings,

LOL! One thing people must realize about Taurus: They design new guns almost every 2-3 years. S&W, Ruger, Colt and friends issue new guns only every 7-10 years.

Taurus puts a lot of money and efforts in R&D. It must be expected the first generation of handguns have problems. Remember when the Ruger Redhawk had major issues with their 44 mag and they fixed it the year later and now it is problem free. Same thing is happening with Taurus, but more often because they issue more new guns than Ruger.

However, it does not buy back their bad service I am getting now.

Thank you

joab
November 1, 2007, 10:56 AM
I have had equally bad service form Ruger and have had more bad experiences

One gun rendered serviceable before I ever took the first shot and one before the first cylinder was finished
Both of them Super BlackHawks which many consider to be one of the signature top of line products

Ghost Tracker
November 2, 2007, 10:00 AM
shhhh, be quiet...CAREFUL kestak. There are some Taurus bashers around these parts who take serious offense to anyone with a story that doesn't endorse/confirm their hatred.

That's cute Joab. But you mistakenly believe I'm a Taurus hater. All I've done is relate my personal experiences with Taurus products / Customer Service & my subsequent observations (just like kestak is doing now). Unfortunately, in my case...it's multiple tries with multiple disappointments. If the same sort of experiences had happened with ANY company, firearm or otherwise, I would have "waved-off" someone who discussed their issues with that same company in an open forum.

Honestly? I've (personally) decided that expecting exceptional products & service from a "value priced" manufacturer is a mistake made by ME...not Taurus. They are what they are. And you have my word that I will not mention them again on this forum. :cool:

Ala Dan
November 2, 2007, 10:11 AM
I have NEVER been a fan of Taurus products~! ;)

Yes, I know some people swear by 'em; and would not own anything else;
but their QC and customer service really sucks, big time~! Needless to say,
I don't promote their line when dealing with my customers. :)

Now, if a patron comes in with his/her mind already made up; sure I will be
happy to sell them the weapon of their choice, as has been the case lately
with this firms "The Jude" .45LC/.410 gague. But, I personally can't see me
paying $419/$479 respectively for a weapon that may or may not work; as
it comes straight from the factory~! :( :D

joab
November 2, 2007, 10:22 AM
But you mistakenly believe I'm a Taurus haterI'm sorry when I mimicked your admonishment not to talk well of Taurus because some who have had good experience may "take you over the coals" I somehow mistook this preemptive strike against those that would certainly show up to share their positive experiences as a negative comment

Must have mistook you for one of those "for a few dollars more" kinda guys
Ahem,Post 11

Ghost Tracker
November 2, 2007, 10:31 AM
Must have mistook you for one of those "for a few dollars more" kinda guys
Since we're talking about me now, I don't think you mistook me at all...I think, in this instance, you pegged me just about right.

I've (personally) decided that expecting exceptional products & service from a "value priced" manufacturer is a mistake made by ME...not Taurus. They are what they are.

joab
November 2, 2007, 10:46 AM
Since we're talking about me nowWell, yeah

You are the one that introduced yourself into this

I made a simple statement about how opinions go both ways and you felt the need to defend your comment and try to skew it as a non bashing statement

In fairness it was more about bashing Taurus "fans" than it was about bashing the gun itself
In the original statement you also bring yourself into play by presenting yourself as a victim of pro Taurus bigotry

So don't whine now about being in the subject

Just_a_dude_with_a_gun
November 2, 2007, 10:48 AM
Keep the pistol. Get aftermarket barstock Baer/brown/Wilson parts for where ever they'll go.

Taurus's forgings (frame, slide) aren't the issue and are quite good, but I feel that their MIM parts
(safety, slipstop pin, beavertail, bushing, hammer, extractor) are just to add perceived value on
this model. That's the whole point of making this gun - to fill a slot in the marketshare, giving people
something that resembles a $1500 pistol as closely as possible for $550.

98C5
November 2, 2007, 10:58 AM
Keep the pistol. Get aftermarket barstock Baer/brown/Wilson parts for where ever they'll go

Yeah, I probably will. Is the Wilson ambi-safeties drop-in or do I need to tweak them at all?

Ghost Tracker
November 2, 2007, 11:33 AM
So don't whine now about being in the subject
Gee joah, a fellow can't even agree with you... I don't think you mistook me at all ...and not continue to suffer under your continued wrath. What do you want? Cash?
your admonishment not to talk well of Taurus
By the way, my tongue-in-cheek admonishment was ~ not to speak poorly of "that company". And I did it as a joking, but none-the-less earnest, warning against precisely your example of personal villification toward any/everyone who dares mention a less than Pollyanna Pleasant experience with the aforementioned manufacturer.
Are we missing each other's sense of humor, or are you genuinely miffed? :cool:

joab
November 2, 2007, 11:44 AM
What do you want? Cash? Nah, use your cash to buy some cheese
Let's see if you get that one

If you think anything here has amounted to wrath you are very thin skinned or don't know me to good

Ghost Tracker
November 2, 2007, 12:06 PM
...and so it continues. Kinda' like a Woody Allen movie. WWAAYYY too witty for me. ;)

Seancass
November 2, 2007, 12:10 PM
ya know, i REALLY REALLY want to buy a .357 tracker. it is the same price as the Ruger, i just want it more. it fits my hand, looks awsome, and i assume it's pretty accurate.

but as long as threads like this keep popping up, i wont buy it. i cant afford to be making repairs to a brand new product.

hankdatank1362
November 2, 2007, 12:25 PM
Me not understand what Joab arguing about.

Him use too many big words for me.

Me miss point him trying to make.

Me think him trying to start fight with Ghost Tracker.

:scrutiny:

jakeswensonmt
November 2, 2007, 07:20 PM
Taurus CS make Oog very angry.
OOG SMASH!

joab
November 2, 2007, 07:47 PM
Kinda' like a Woody Allen movie. WWAAYYY too witty for me
Woody Allen witty?
Maybe compared to jake
Welcome to the roast jake
Back to the topic

I am not one of those that says that Taurus is as good as Smith or Colt
But I will say that they are no worse

The trigger on my 686 just plain sucks next to my 445
And at least Taurus doesn't try to pass off plastic trigger parts on their 1911s

Perhaps the price point pressure from the likes of Taurus has caused a dip in sales of some of the former better manufacturers, causing them to cut corners in order to show more profit on the now fewer guns that they still try to sell at full price

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus losing my loyalty..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!