My 2nd Amd Novel Has Gone to Print

PDA

Travis McGee
July 15, 2003, 08:37 PM
Hi Folks, thought I'd share my happy news: after three long years writing what I think is the ultimate 2nd Amd novel, it will be available in about three weeks. I sent a link to author Claire Wolfe, this is what she said about it on her WolfesBlog after reading the 20 chapters on the website:

"A sniper opens fire on a crowded football stadium on the first day of the season. The crowd panics and stampedes. A thousand people die ... and the federal government immediately goes not only into gun-banning mode, but into a post-911-type security frenzy that ultimately brings the country FIST (Firearm Inspections Stop Terrorism) checkpoints and brutal demonization of gun owners. The alleged (and quickly deceased) sniper has conveniently used a "military-style assault weapon," and conveniently fits the profile every anti-gunner loves to hate. The loss of freedom looks unstoppable. But is it?

"And that's merely the opening of Enemies Foreign and Domestic, the first novel by Matthew Bracken, a self-described "freedom addict." The book is due out the end of this month. You can read a generous selection of excerpts on the Web site and put in your pre-order, as well. Unlike most freedom-movement novels, this one is loaded with action and populated by characters you'll believe, like, and identify with. Go Matthew! I can't wait to read the whole thing."
-- Claire Wolfe, author of "101 Things to do 'Til the Revolution" and other books on guns and freedom.

If you enjoyed reading about "My 2nd Amd Novel Has Gone to Print" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Greg L
July 15, 2003, 08:44 PM
Cool, I'm looking forward to reading the entire book. From what I've seen it looks really good.

(although I must admit this news isn't a big surprise - my check for it cleared the bank last night so I assumed that it was close to on the way ;) . )

Greg

Standing Wolf
July 15, 2003, 08:48 PM
Good for you!

Travis McGee
July 15, 2003, 11:01 PM
GregL:

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that there are folks who have been waiting for more than 5 months for the book! I was WAY off in my estimates of the time I would need to finish it.

Matt

cool45auto
July 15, 2003, 11:04 PM
:cool:

MeekandMild
July 15, 2003, 11:11 PM
Congrats! Maybe some Hollywod studio will pick it up and make a movie of it? :D

4v50 Gary
July 15, 2003, 11:15 PM
Wow! Another published author in the ranks of THR. You, Duck Hunt and a few others are among the shining illuminaries for the rest of us.

Travis McGee
July 16, 2003, 01:11 AM
MeekAndMild:
I have this nightmare where Hollywood buys the book, and in their screenplay, Jimmy Shifflett really is the "right wing gun nut assault rifle sniper" who does the stadium massacre, and the special ATF unit thugs are the heroes who save the day. AAHHHRRGHH!!!!!

HBK
July 16, 2003, 01:56 AM
Congratulations! I will definately be looking for a copy when it is released.:)

Travis McGee
July 16, 2003, 03:22 AM
4V-50:
BTW, "Gun-Fucious" from THR is the designer of the book's snake coiled around the M-16 modern Gadsden. I really love that logo!

erikm
July 16, 2003, 04:09 AM
Congratulations on making it into print!

Could you please post the name, publisher and ISBN number? those makes it easier to find the book.

One question though. Will you be bringing out an electronic version, or will this book be 'dead tree only'? An electronic version may appeal to those not willing to wait for the postal system to move the book. Me for instance. :)

More seriously, a cut-rate PDF version might actually boost dead tree sales. Eric Flint at Baen.com has written some on the subject.

Cheers,
ErikM :evil:

Combat-wombat
July 16, 2003, 04:44 AM
I'm in. When is it released?

Travis McGee
July 16, 2003, 12:09 PM
EricM: the book is jut going to print now. The ISBN number will be

0-9728310-0-2. I do plan to put out an E-book version in about a month, but first I need to get my P-books and send them out.

Kreed
July 16, 2003, 01:03 PM
Thanks for reminding me that I need to get that check in mail!

Good on yer, Trav! :cool:

Pilgrim
July 16, 2003, 01:08 PM
I have this nightmare where Hollywood buys the book, and in their screenplay, Jimmy Shifflett really is the "right wing gun nut assault rifle sniper" who does the stadium massacre, and the special ATF unit thugs are the heroes who save the day. AAHHHRRGHH!!!!!

If you choose to sell the movie rights, get a good agent to make sure you have control over the script so such a disaster (ATF heroes) doesn't happen.

Pilgrim

Travis McGee
July 16, 2003, 04:58 PM
Combat-wombat: It should be out in 3 weeks, that is, sent from the book plant to me then.

This is the cover, but I am not very good at this UBB code stuff.

http://matthewbracken.web.aplus.net/bookcover.jpg

4v50 Gary
July 16, 2003, 05:05 PM
gun-fucious does do good work.

Sam Adams
July 16, 2003, 06:37 PM
BTW, "Gun-Fucious" from THR is the designer of the book's snake coiled around the M-16 modern
Gadsden. I really love that logo!

Do you know if you can get that image on a flag or T-shirt? It would rile up the antis, a virtue unto itself.

Congrats on finishing...I know that it has been a long road.

Sam (Ancesthntr on FR)

Porter Glockwell
July 16, 2003, 06:42 PM
Check sent today! Can't wait!!!

mpthole
July 16, 2003, 07:44 PM
So, can we pre-order it from anywhere?

Travis McGee
July 16, 2003, 08:10 PM
Sam Adams:

You are in luck! gun-Fucious' logos are on t-shirts at cafe press.

Let me try a UBB image of my cover:
http://www.enemiesforeignanddomestic.com/bookcover.jpg

gun-fucious
July 16, 2003, 09:12 PM
nope! "0 cents" has comandeered another of my designs again

:cuss:

mine are on cafepress
http://www.cafepress.com/libertyteeth

telomerase
July 16, 2003, 09:17 PM
Nice cover. I don't suppose my public library will be buying one anytime soon?

Travis McGee
July 16, 2003, 11:25 PM
Gun-Fucious:

WHOOPS! I need to edit that out. I have no clue about how to do it, let me try. If not, I'll ask Oleg to drop it. SORRY!!!

Travis McGee
July 16, 2003, 11:27 PM
Gun-Fucious:
There we go. Cafe Press it is.

grampster
July 17, 2003, 12:01 AM
Trav,
Meyer Meyer and I are eagerly awaiting our copy while sittin' and sippin at slip 13 Bahia Mar. Just finished a piant job on the " Maynard Keynes" and Tiger's party is still goin' full blast.

:D

Travis McGee
July 17, 2003, 01:30 AM
Grampster, I wish I could come over and spin some discs on the Hi-Fi, but I have just rescued a damsel in distress from beneath a bridge on the way down to Big Pine Key. She appears in need of intensive TLC, so I have loaded up the Flush and we are heading over to the Bahamas for a few months of rehab. (In my dreams.)

Travis McGee
July 17, 2003, 01:34 AM
Grampser- here's one that didn't get away, on the back of the Flush. 12 fillets the size of your forearm on a nice dolphin like that one. Yeah baby!

http://matthewbracken.web.aplus.net/authorpic1.jpg

Mostly Harmless
July 17, 2003, 04:08 PM
Good stuff. Congratulations on getting published.

I'll be ordering as soon as my disposable income has recovered from the last onslaught.

J.

Travis McGee
July 17, 2003, 05:21 PM
Mostly Harmless:
Don't worry, I won't run out any time soon!

Bostonterrier97
July 18, 2003, 02:29 AM
I read all of the excerpts...which is good..but here is the GREAT news..I did not go to sleep until I had read them ALL..which turned out to be 4 am.

That is a measure of just how good of a book you wrote.

I will definately be ordering this book.

Orthonym
July 18, 2003, 02:54 AM
Read the excerpts twice. Must confess, the 10-year-old in me loves the splatter scenes.(I'm so depraved!) Will definitely buy it. One question: Do any golfers die horrible, lingering, well-deserved deaths?:evil:

Edit: sorry about the golf remark, Dad, but I mean it about everyone else.

FTG-05
July 18, 2003, 02:49 PM
Travis,

Since you've got a great screen name (I'm a long time TM fan!) I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that your book is going to be very popular with the gun crowd. I also predict it will be talked about as much as the IC book by John Ross.

My .02.

Albin

Travis McGee
July 18, 2003, 03:10 PM
BostonTerrier:

WOW! 4AM? That is so nice for you to mention.
You'll have to take my word for this, but the 2nd half of the book is better than the first 20 chapters on the website, and it doesn't slow down at all, it goes full bore to the end.

Bostonterrier97
July 18, 2003, 05:52 PM
Hey Travis,
I am going to cross post your book and website to AR15 and some other sites so the other gunners can enjoy reading the excerpts and...who knows...maybe order the book.

Better get a lot of pens..I think you will be doing a LOT of autographing!!!

Travis McGee
July 18, 2003, 11:45 PM
Orthonym:

Isn't that golf course assassination scene twisted? Just when the guy is bending over to aim his driver at his teed-up ball, Ranya shoots him in the top of the head with a .223. "SPLATTTT!!!!"

(He had it coming. Or possibly, her mental state made her think so.)

Travis McGee
July 19, 2003, 02:05 AM
Bostonterrier:

Thanks! I went over there and checked it out, but now I can't post, there's no 'post reply' button any more. I don't know why.

Bostonterrier97
July 19, 2003, 02:37 AM
Man..one of my favorite scenes from the excerpts involved the WWII Vet who used his 1911 to good effect on the Nazi's...

Now..if only there was another scene where a Vet used his M1 Garand..

One thing I enjoyed doing was guessing which character was most similar to a real person..

I thought up some possible candidates..
Schumer
Feinstein
Pitcavage
Gore..

Of course that is just my wild imagination at work...and all of the characters described are just purely fictional and any similarities are just coincidental...

Thank Goodness we will NEVER have to worry about our country becoming despotic with all of the laws designed to protect us from ourselves..and the good intentions of our politicians..

And we all know that the technology described in the book is either Science Fiction or/and Never would be employed by our Government to Spy on people..

BTW...speaking of Spying..did you guys read the News Article on Implanting Chips in People in order to TRACK (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030717/ap_on_hi_te/mexico_microchip_2) them?

The Company that produces them and hopes to SELL them to our Government is here (http://www.adsx.com/)

Here is a picture of the Chip

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030717/capt.1058473991.mexico_microchip_mo107.jpg

It is called the VeriChip

Travis McGee
July 19, 2003, 03:24 AM
Bostonterrier:

Did you read about the Marine and the 12 year old girl that went skipping across Europe? I read a great article about it on Free Republic. They kept it a secret while they were running, but somebody spilled the beans to the press after they were captured.

They tracked them by his cell phone, and they admitted that they can track cell phones that are "turned off". They said "we paniced once when the phone went dead, we thought he took the battery out, but he recharged it and we resumed tracking them."

Bottom line: a charged cell phone is a tracker, "turned on" or not. And I have reason to believe that they can also be used as microphones. I can't prove it, but I strongly suspect it.

If you enjoyed reading about "My 2nd Amd Novel Has Gone to Print" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!