30-06 or the 300 RUM

PDA

Mr Bernoulli
November 1, 2007, 11:28 AM
Ok I am a fairly new hunter and have mostly been hunting birds and have a rem 870 supermag which I love. Now I want to start big game hunting. I am stuck trying to decide between the 30-06 and the 300 RUM. I will be hunting deer mostly right now but eventually since I will be a doctor I would like to travel and do guided hunts everything from moose to grizzlies maybe someday africa. Now I either want one rifle which would be the 300 RUM because it can do dangerous game but am I correct in thinking it is small for africa? I mean if I get the 30-06 its better for deer but I dont think it would be that great for something like lions. If the 300 RUM is also incapable of doing this job also I do not want to get something just a little bigger I would rather have 2 rifles that are farther apart in performance. If the 300 RUM can do it all then I would get that but if not then the 30-06 and then something bigger later. Also I heard that the 300 RUM barrel will wear out much faster when shooting magnum loads. What is the truth in this? I do not feel recoil is much of a matter for me because I am a decent sized guy at 220 pounds and do not feel 3 1/2" shells in my supermag. Also I know the 300 RUM is great for long distances but I do not think I will see anything over 100 yds for deer hunting and am a little worried of destroying the deer. So I guess im saying I want a do it all rifle because I feel you can be much more proficient if you know a weapon that well, or two rifles, one for smaller big game (30-06) then larger big game which I can decide later. I also do not want to go to the gun cabinet and not be able to decide what I want to use so thats why only two at most. So if you think two the 30-06 and somthing else let me know what you would use for the bigger rifle. I plan on getting a rem 700 xcr my mind is made up on this but please anything to help me decide feel free. Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "30-06 or the 300 RUM" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
trueblue1776
November 1, 2007, 11:36 AM
If you are hunting you DON'T need to worry about RUM barrel wear, the heavy target shooters may wear one out in 5 years or so.

I say '06, it's far more versatile and available, just with a little less punch. Plus you can go with 250gr bullets in the '06, the heaviest you get in RUM is 220gr.

goemado
November 1, 2007, 11:50 AM
I would get the 30.06.

Why?

* That round will be available everywhere in multiple flavors (weights/brands/bullets).
* It is much more pleasant to shoot than a mag round (my opinion - I've shot both).
* It will kill any whitetail you'll ever come across - and a good deal of other game too (especially if you shoot it well enough to hit what you're aiming at).

I had a buddy that decided he might go out West some day, so he wanted a rifle big enough to do the job. He picked up a .300 mag. Browning A-Bolt. Beautiful gun - which he can't shoot worth a darn (nice crescent scar above his eye from his first siting in session). One opener in Michigan, he shot at two different deer at ranges from 250 yards to 150 yards and missed every time. The gun he replaced with that cannon was a fine Win 94 30/30. Both of those deer were well within the range of the 30/06.

If you ever expect to be shooting beyond the range of the .30/06 - I'd suggest you visit your local golf course, stand at the tee box and check out the flags on par 4's or par 5's -- then ask yourself if you'll honestly be able to place a cold bore shot into those flags from that distance during real hunting conditions (not many shooting benches out there). I certainly realize that many can - but I don't believe most could. So your realistic/capable/ethical range would likely drop to a par 3 / par 4 distance - well within the capability of a .30/06. I used to work for a manager that claimed to take regular 500+ shots at deer with a .257 Wby. I never had the chance - but I'd love to have visited a range with him that had that distance available and see if he could "put his rounds where his mouth was". I suspect that he couldn't. He talked a lot about the shot - but didn't fill a lot of tags or freezers. Lot's of long range MOA shooters on websites and around the water cooler - far fewer in the woods.

My point is that I believe people get too hung up in buying cannon - when a majority of shooters are simply not capable of shooting them all that accurately. Both rounds in your choice are the same size (.308). But the perceived recoil is definitely not the same. Remember, it doesn't matter the trajectory or energy when you miss.

Get something that shoots nice and easy - especailly if you're a first time shooter (I'd even think about a straight .308 rather than a .30/06 - again, the same bullet but a little better ballistics in a .308 without terrible recoil).

Don't fall into the bigger is better trap. Most of the time, it's far more gun than you'll ever need or be able to use ethically or effectively.

Good luck.

Jim Watson
November 1, 2007, 11:51 AM
A .30-06 will handle any game in North America with the possible exception of a big bear.

By the time you are an MD you will be able to afford a new rifle to hunt bigger game. If you cannot pick a suitable rifle for a new application, how will you ever write a prescription?

berettashotgun
November 1, 2007, 11:52 AM
I don't even own a 30-06, yet your question is silly (to me :scrutiny:) why would you even think about getting something for " later on~ down the road" ?
I hunted with a 300 win mag for years, it worked great, but went back to a 270 and the results were exactly the same. Use a 7mm remington mag or a 7mm STW nowdays, kinda real longish shots where I hunt. Gosh I love 162gr .284" bullets.
Not any doubt, get the '06; I am POSITIVE ;)you'll be able to afford a new rifle later.
I think I would go with a 7mm rem mag, but hey - that's how I think.
I don't know where the rules are that say you can never get a same weight bullet in different calibers - "you can get a 250gr in a 06' ~ but not in a 300 RUM" :rolleyes: sure, right, OK
I can get the bullet - I can load it.:neener:

648E
November 1, 2007, 11:57 AM
The 300 RUM is far more versatile, no doubt. Especially since Remington came out with this new ammo:

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/centerfire/power_level.asp

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c55/M855/300RUM.jpg

I'm not voting one way or another, just adding this to the debate.

H&Hhunter
November 1, 2007, 12:00 PM
Get the 06 now.

After you become a successful and wealthy doctor you can buy a nice .375H&H for moose and bear hunting.;)

benatilstate
November 1, 2007, 01:42 PM
.30-06 for now - especially if you dont reload! .300RUM will break the bank if you plan to shoot it more than a couple times a year! Also, 06 ammo is much more available. Finally, as mentioned, the 06 will take anything on this continent, although I wouldnt suggest it for close range big bears.

Mr Bernoulli
November 1, 2007, 02:05 PM
Ok thank you guys so far this is what I was hoping for, but like 648E said they do have the power level ammunition that would help me choose more and I would like to get into handloading as not to break the bank cause wow those 300 RUM shells are expensive... but my concern here was do they have all the recipies availble to make the loads at these levels?

Hokkmike
November 1, 2007, 02:14 PM
06-06-06-06-06 (repeat that 100 times)

648E
November 1, 2007, 02:22 PM
$14 a box ammo beats $30 a box.

If you're planing on needing a heavier rifle in the future there is that option. I think you could pick up an M700 in .300 RUM for ~$500, but then you still need an optic/base/rings...

Archer1945
November 1, 2007, 02:47 PM
Short of the big bears the '06 will handle anything in North America, as will the .270 and .280 Remington. You might also just find out that contrary to Remington's ads the 30 RUM is not the answer to an all purpose rifle, many places in Africa have a minimum caliber of .338 and some even .375. Much of the bigger African game, not talking about the BIG 5, has to been taken at longer distances and since they are big and tough it requires a bullet with a lot of residual energy which .30 caliber bullets do not have.

Bartkowski
November 1, 2007, 04:19 PM
The .30-6 is much more economical, easier on the shoulder and the barrel. The RUM will allow you to shoot further with less worry about the bullet dropping to much, but I don't think that out weighs what I find to be unfavorable.

If you plan on hunting dangerous game, you should look for a larger caliber to go along with your 30-06. Lots of african countries have bullet diameter requirements like over .375 or over .416 for some of the bigger animals.

And you said that you don't think you will see anything over 100 yards while deer hunting. Unless you plan on taking long shots, the 300 RUM offers little to nothing over the 30-06 other than you can say that you have one.

I am not sure of this one because I am not a reloader, but isn't the neck on a RUM very short even for 220gr bullets? "you can get a 250gr in a 06' ~ but not in a 300 RUM" sure, right, OK
I can get the bullet - I can load it.

ArmedBear
November 1, 2007, 05:00 PM
I'd have to be drinking a lot of rum to buy a RUM, unless I had a specific purpose for it.:)

.30-06 is arguably the best round in the world for a general-purpose hunting rifle. If you're not sure what you need, get a .30-06.

(Some will argue for the 7x57 Mauser, but it's much more common outside the US.)

The .300 RUM is a specialized, rare rifle round that is expensive and has a lot of recoil. The .30-06 is more comfortable to shoot. No matter how many rifles you may one day own, you won't regret having one.

Get the .300 RUM (or some other specialized high-power round) when you have tickets to Africa or Alaska in your hand. And even in Africa, something like a .30-06 or 7x57 will serve quite well except on dangerous/giant game.

ranger335v
November 1, 2007, 06:28 PM
I have no interest in exchanging my -06 for any magnum.

No .30 cal is suited to really large African game so that's a moot point. IF you get to Africa, not only will a bigger rifle also be within reach but having one for big stuff and one for the rest will be the order of the day.

The only real "all-around" cartridge is the .458. With it you can take anything from squirrels to elephants. But it will hurt you some.

KI.W.
November 1, 2007, 07:55 PM
.458 Win Mag has to small case for its bullets.

rcmodel
November 1, 2007, 08:01 PM
30 years from now, you will probably still be able to buy 30-06 ammo at a roadside gas-station in elk country, when you can't even get .300 RUM ammo from the Remington factory anymore!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

jefnvk
November 1, 2007, 08:16 PM
When you are hunting in rural land, there are a few cartridges that you can get everywhere. Mostly, .30-06. Believe me, even being in a semi-decent town, nowhere around here carried .300RUM, even at sporting good stores.

However, walk into any gas station, especially this time of year, you shouldn't have a hard time finding '06, .270 or .30-30.

Also, as others have mentioned, .30 cal aint gonna cut it for Africa. Think about the fact that you will be spending a few thousand for the trip alone, an extra $800 or so for a new gun isn't gonna be a huge additional addon.

esmith
November 1, 2007, 08:27 PM
30-06

1. Ammo is cheaper
2. Theres more of a variety of ammo selections.
3. Better life.
4. Its able to take every animal that you will be hunting in America. If you are hunting Africa, you would want something bigger than the RUM anyway.

rcmodel
November 1, 2007, 08:37 PM
Just re-read this thread and discovered you consider the .300 RUM to be a bigger round then the 30-06, suitable for dangerous African game and such.

It is not a "bigger" round, just a faster one. It is still a .30 caliber.
And faster doesn't kill game. Hitting it in the right place kills game.

Get a 30-06 and learn how to shoot it well.
You will be well armed for 95% of any U.S., Canadian, Arctic, or African hunting you will ever do.

For the other 5%, you do need a bigger rifle, not a faster one.
Probably a .375, or larger if required by African game laws in the country you plan to hunt.

Still, I think your deer & African "light rifle" should be a 30-06, 270, or something similar along those lines.

Shooting a .300 RUM accurately off a bench while sighting it in is not at all the same as shooting heavy 3 1/2" shotshells standing up in a goose blind!

I can almost guarantee you will learn to flinch badly before you learn to shoot 1" groups with a .300 RUM!

rcmodel

Bartkowski
November 1, 2007, 08:48 PM
Shooting a .300 RUM accurately off a bench while sighting it in is not at all the same as shooting heavy 3 1/2" shotshells standing up in a goose blind!

Very true, when sighting in I notice the recoil a lot more, than standing up and shooting, or shooting something that reacts when hit, such as an animal jug of water.....

jefnvk
November 1, 2007, 09:32 PM
Very true, when sighting in I notice the recoil a lot more, than standing up and shooting, or shooting something that reacts when hit, such as an animal jug of water.....

I think it has to do with acting naturally when hunting. When you sight in, you have time to sit around and think about every step to take. That means, you have time to think about the recoil is about to occur. When everythign happens automatically, you don't have that time.

And the adrenaline flowing doesn't hurt, either ;)

ArmedBear
November 1, 2007, 09:48 PM
faster doesn't kill game

Roy Weatherby proved that belief to be wrong, over and over again, on all sorts of game.

Very fast, small bullets with the right shot placement will do amazing things.

And most of what people hunt in Africa isn't elephant or rhino. Then again, that game can be hunted with a 7x57 just fine.

George Hill
November 1, 2007, 10:27 PM
Or you can stop sweating this, get a .300 Win Mag or a .300 WSM and you'll be just fine for everything in North America save for certain giant white and brown bears in Alaska.

benatilstate
November 1, 2007, 10:31 PM
Very fast, small bullets with the right shot placement will do amazing things.

They sure will, but so will small bullets that are not relativly fast (think .22). I dont doubt that one could kill a moose with a little rimfire given good shotplacement. It wouldnt be legal, ethical, or smart, but it could be done.

ArchAngelCD
November 1, 2007, 10:39 PM
Get yourself a good 06 and don't look back. If you go to Africa in the future a 300 RUM won't be enough gun anyway. I would think the minimum for really big game would be a 338 Win Mag or 338 RUM but those might be too light too.

Since you are a new shooter you will need to practice. You won't want to shoot the 300 RUM a lot but the 30-06 won't hurt much. Also, Cabela's runs sales a few times a year where you can buy Federal 30-06 ammo for $9.99 a box. At that price you can do a good amount of practice.

ArmedBear
November 1, 2007, 10:43 PM
benatilstate-

No, I'm talking about big game, confident, consistent DRT drops, with bullets that were "too small", but going REALLY fast.

Now a .45-70 going 1000 fps will drop a buffalo, too. Fast and small isn't the only formula that works, not by a long shot.

However, the significance of velocity is underestimated by many.

Mr Bernoulli
November 1, 2007, 11:21 PM
I think after all your arguments I may be getting the 30-06 unless someone comes up with a great argument for the 300 RUM

Mr Bernoulli
November 1, 2007, 11:22 PM
If you still have something to say post it though

MachIVshooter
November 1, 2007, 11:46 PM
$14 a box ammo beats $30 a box.

.300 Ultra is more like $70/box.

The .300 Ultra is certainly a more capable round, as it can push any bullet the '06 can several hundred FPS faster. But as with any big magnum, that comes at the cost of expensive ammo, increased recoil and more noise.

If you're not an experienced rifle shooter, the .300 Ultra is probably not the best cartridge to learn with.

peyton
November 2, 2007, 12:02 AM
Wider bullet (338, 375) than 30 cal is better for bear or moose. The 30 RUM flame thrower is better for those LONG RANGE SHOTS!!! Really, the question is where and what will you hunt. Stick with the 30.06, ammo can be found nationwide.

jpwilly
November 2, 2007, 12:10 AM
Get whatever U want! Spend as much as U want! If I were you considering your big game tastes I'd look at the new Ruger M77 Hawkeye African (http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?function=famid&famid=60&variation=M77®%20Hawkeye®%20African&bct=Yes&type=Rifle)chambered in .375 Ruger just to be different. Although I picked up a 30-06 not planning any African trips (yet).

colt.45
November 2, 2007, 12:22 AM
i would get the 06. if you are just starting out i would invest in something small like a .22. that way you can practice on squirrels and yotes and such you can get a ruger no.1 in 458 lott later:D(fun). seriously though, practice makes perfect. you WILL want to be perfect when you are staring down a cape buffalo, or the like. take it slow and methodically and talk to people at gunshows.

good luck to ya

trueblue1776
November 2, 2007, 12:01 PM
as it can push any bullet the '06 can

almost, .30-06 can throw 250gr bullets, RUM tops out at 220gr. Not that I have ever needed a 250gr load, but I could.

rcmodel
November 3, 2007, 02:33 PM
All Roy Weatherby proved is that when small fast bullets work, they work as well as big slow heavy bullets.
The game falls down, it dies.

But when they don't work, they fail miserably.

Ruork had it right about dangerous game rifles. "Use Enough Gun."

rcmodel

one-shot-one
November 3, 2007, 04:47 PM
i would agree with a 30-06 now and when africa or big bears call then
buy either a:
1. 416 rigby
2. 458 lott
3. 375 h&h
or if your practice really takes off a good double rifle in a caliber of your choice.:D:D

SpeedAKL
November 3, 2007, 09:11 PM
Get a reasonably-priced .30-06 and get the bigger weapon down the road when you have the money to afford the ammo and the hunting trips.

xtarheel
November 3, 2007, 09:17 PM
No brainer, buy the '06. You won't go to Africa on a whim so half the fun will be picking out a new rifle for that trip when it happens. I'm not a doctor but a father of two!

High Planes Drifter
November 3, 2007, 11:20 PM
There's a reason the .30-06 has been around as long as it has. Its the crescent wrench of rifle cartridges. Buy one, and be done. Thats what I did, and havent looked back. Deer dont know its not a super duper ultra uber magnum. It plants them just fine, trust me on this one. ;)

btw- If I were considering something else besides the .30-06 it sure as hell wouldnt be a something that costs 70 bucks for a box of cartridges and had to be ordered off the internet because your local wally world, and Academy doesnt have it. Consider ammo availability and those last minute hunting trips before buying a rifle.

MachIVshooter
November 4, 2007, 02:25 AM
almost, .30-06 can throw 250gr bullets, RUM tops out at 220gr. Not that I have ever needed a 250gr load, but I could.

The .300 RUM can push 250 grain bullets-fully 400 FPS faster than the '06. Just because they're not factory loaded doesn't mean it can't be done.

FWIW, the .300 Ultra can push 220 grainers at over 3,000 FPS. The '06 will top out around 2,500 FPS with a pill that heavy.

The .30-06 is best suited to bullets of 150-180 grains. The .300 RUM shines with 180-220. And this spread is very typical of standard vs. magnum cartridges.

High Planes Drifter
November 4, 2007, 06:03 PM
The .300 RUM can push 250 grain bullets-fully 400 FPS faster than the '06. Just because they're not factory loaded doesn't mean it can't be done.

This is going to be the op's, what, first rifle I think he said.? Do you really think he's into reloading?:scrutiny::confused:

Hell man, most folks, even shooters arent into reloading. Sticking with factory loaded rounds, which is what probably 99% of hunters shoot, the .30-06 is available in probably 10x more loads and priced at a fraction of the cost of those of the 300 RUM.

MachIVshooter
November 4, 2007, 07:14 PM
This is going to be the op's, what, first rifle I think he said.? Do you really think he's into reloading?

No factory 250 grain loads in .30-06 either. In fact, I can only think of two companies that even load 220's.

MDHunter
November 4, 2007, 07:39 PM
Bernoulli,

Great move listening to the advice given in this thread and going with the 30-06. A .300 RUM would be a really poor choice for anyone as a first rifle, too much recoil and you don't need the extra velocity to hunt North American game. In addition, don't take oiffense - but trying to make 400 yard shots with your first big game rifle is like trying to perform open heart surgery after your first year of med school - you're getting way ahead of yourself! Let's go at this like med school, in stages -

1) Get a good bolt action 30-06 - the Savage Model 110, Ruger Model 77, Winchester Model 70, and Remington Model 700 are all good choices for a reasonably priced, accurate rifle. Go to a gun shop that offers all of these, see how all of them feel in your hands and on your shoulder, and then select the one that feels best to you.

2) Select a good quality scope to mount on your rifle - Bushnell, Leupold, Nikon, and a few others make good quality scopes in the $300-500 range. Do NOT select the lowest cost scope, as the optics on your rifle are what allow you (or don't allow you) to make accurate shots in low light or rain/fog conditions.

3) Take your rifle to the rifle range, and experiment with different types of ammo to see what works best in your rifle. Once your rifle is sighted in accurately from the bench at ranges of 100 and 200 yards, STOP shooting from the bench.

4) Now that your rifle is sighted in, all your practice shooting should be done from hunting positions - sitting, kneeling, and offhand - only practice offhand shots at 100 yards, not 200 - if the animal is 200 yards away, you have time to find a rest before shooting.

5) Get used to judging distance. There's not always time in the field to use a laser rangefinder, so practice looking across a field at a tree or other object, guessing how far it is, then pace it off to see how far off you were. Most people typically think things are farther away than they really are, especially in the woods where a 100 yard shot is pretty far.

6) Depending on your bullet choice, if you sight your rifle in to hit 2-3" high at 100 yards, you'll be good out to 300 yards or so; bullet drop might be 6-9" at that range, but that means you can still hold the crosshairs just behind the shoulder, about 2/3 way up the animal, and still make a solid lung shot at 300 yards.

7) If you have yo hold the crosshairs over the animal's back to compensate for bullet drop, you're trying a shot that's too long for anyone but an expert marksman - never take these shots until you've accumulated a lot of time in the field.

8) A shotgun and rifle are totally different creatures - on a shotgun you PULL the trigger, and on a rifle you SQUEEZE the trigger. Do a search on Google and you can find several articles relating on how to shoot a rifle well.

Last of all -

ENJOY your rifle, every hunter should own a 30-06 sometime in their lifetime!

Michael

Mr Bernoulli
November 4, 2007, 10:17 PM
yeah guys thanks so far. Everyone has been saying recoil is going to be a problem but I definately do not see that now. I shot a few rounds with my buddys 30-06 this weekend before hunting and did not feel a thing. I think I could shoot that thing all day long. More importantly I shot accurately with it. It was like shooting 2 3/4 target load, in my shotgun and this was target shooting so the only downside I see for the 300 RUM now is ammo price and im gonna reload so **** I think I found myself a gun...

GooseGestapo
November 5, 2007, 08:40 AM
The problem with the .300RUM IS the recoil. I has over 3X the recoil of the '06.
I'm reloading my .300RUM with 180gr Remington CorLokts (bulk @ $45/500) and some .50BMG surplus powder that I bought for $25/8lbs (bought 16lbs).
With primers on hand already from a previous bulk purchase, I can reload my .300 for less than most can reload a .223Rem.

However, with over 40ft/lbs of recoil, it really gets your attention. Remember, with a shotgun, there isn't the scope waiting to whack you and give you a "Weatherby EYE" (A distinguishing cresent cut to the forehead,- I've got several scars.............)

I'm not a "wuss" when it comes to recoil. I've placed in the top 10 in the shotgun matches at the NRA national police shooting championships numerous times -shooting slugs and buckshot-factory loads by rule. I also shoot over 50,000rds a year in practice and competition, so flinching is normally not a problem.
However, this past fall when pulling the trigger on the .300RUM on a doe trying for a head shot at 40yds, I missed !!!!!! I cringed at the trigger pull and pulled the shot. I "hunkered down" and made the followup shot as the deer stood "shocked" by the muzzle blast and looked the other direction confused by where the "explosion" came from..........
I also sported a nice cresent scab over the bridge of my nose where the scope got me not once, but twice.......! Didn't hurt much the first time, hurt like "hell"! and bled like a "stuck pig" after the second whack.......And with a rubber padded scope objective at that.........
It's one thing to shoot the rifle off a bench with "extra padding" and a secure position. It's an entirely different situation shooting from a field position where your body moves with the recoil allowing various parts of the firearm to contact other parts of your body- ie: your head. Ever wonder why most serious large bore DGR's still come with iron sights??????? And scopes (if any) are low powered, with long eye relief, and foward mounting........

I shot my first deer over 30yrs ago with the good 'ole '06. Have killed many (several hundred) more since and over 30 with the '06. It's "enough" gun for N. America and most african game. The .300 is "fun", but not "real fun". I much prefer my .30/06 for 99% of shooting needs. (But then when at the range, my .300 really is bigger than theirs..............)
Of course I shoot more than my fair share of 3"mags from my 12ga 1187 and 870 pump every year during the waterfowl season too..................................

FWIW, of all my rifles, only the "wee little 7mm-08" has claimed an elk. At 7lbs, it's what gets carried when the elevation approaches 10,000'. It too, more than adequately gets the job done.

goemado
November 5, 2007, 09:56 AM
Interesting. According to one of your later posts, you claim that because you shot the 30/06 well and it didn't bother you, the 300 RUM (at almost 4x the recoil according to one poster in this thread who appears to be very familiar with the caliber) will be no problem. Despite the facts that it appears you've never shot the RUM and an almost unanimous voice of the posters in this thread to start with the 30/06, you're choosing the 300 RUM. Excellent deduction. Enjoy the cannon. I'm sure it'll be a blast.

648E
November 5, 2007, 10:23 AM
Well, some .300 RUM ammo is $30/box, most ain't though.

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=3&Categoryid=8956&categorystring=653***690***

Mr Bernoulli
November 5, 2007, 12:24 PM
Okay the 300 RUM does not always have to be at maximum load capacity. It has the ability to but, this is not something that I am going to be using right off especially to learn with. There is also no reason to have max load if im just hunting whitetail right now either. They do seem comparible to me though as seen on this chart.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

If you have any more comments let me know thanks.

trueblue1776
November 5, 2007, 12:31 PM
Mr B-
I think you read the table wrong, it looks like the RUM has a bit more recoil.

.30-06 Spfd. (180 at 2700) 8.0 20.3 12.8

.300 Ultra Mag. (180 at 3230) 8.5 32.8 15.8

Mr Bernoulli
November 5, 2007, 12:49 PM
thats not 4x the recoil though and also its moving at 530 fps faster

Bartkowski
November 5, 2007, 01:00 PM
It isn't 4x, but it is a lot more recoil for that little bit of speed.

Mr Bernoulli
November 5, 2007, 04:55 PM
uhhh now here I am looking and the 300 win mag is comparable to the 300 RUM and everything about it is just a little less, price of ammo, recoil, ballistics etc... What do you guys think?

Mr Bernoulli
November 5, 2007, 10:48 PM
Ok I have made my decision I am getting the 30-06 end of thread thanks to those that have given their input.

trueblue1776
November 5, 2007, 10:51 PM
What? No .408 Cheytac? No Lazzeroni Warbird?

;)

If you enjoyed reading about "30-06 or the 300 RUM" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!