Ruger .22 Hornet ???

PDA

Shawnee
November 1, 2007, 02:27 PM
Anyone have experience/opinion re: the Ruger 77/22 rifle in .22 Hornet?

Thanks !

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger .22 Hornet ???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GunTech
November 1, 2007, 03:11 PM
I owned on several years ago. It was only marginally accurate. My CZ-527 22 K Hornet is a much better shooter. I am told Ruger barrels are much better now.

Shawnee
November 1, 2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks Tod...

Are you usiing your CZ for targets? Prairie Dogs ? Unwanted neighbors ?
What do you count as a max distance for it? What kind of scope does it wear ?

The Ruger I'm looking at is a used stainless steel, laminate stock, heavy barreled target model. I don't know how old it is.

Thanks again, Tod !

Ultima-Ratio
November 1, 2007, 04:49 PM
Works for moose up here, loaded a few yesterday with 4227 and Sierra 45gners.

DennisB
November 1, 2007, 07:05 PM
I had one in blue & walnut up until earlier this summer when I traded it against a .204 Hawkeye. This particular rifle was definitely one of the Rugers with a sorry trigger--yes, a trigger swap or some honing would have fixed that, and I was going to, but one other factor helped throw it under the trade bus. I reload, and the too-short rotary magazine of the 77/22 wouldn't handle some of the spitzers I wanted to try. Ended up with a good load for 45 grain HPs that also shot really, really good, but when the 204 deal came up, I jumped on it. Would I get a stainless heavy-barrelled laminate 77/22? You bet.

GunTech
November 1, 2007, 07:37 PM
My Ruger had the light barrel. I used ot for targets and gophers/PDs. I really like 35gn VMax over 12gn Lil Gun. If you own a 22 Hornet you cannot go wrong by converting to K Hornet. Brass lasts much longer, you don;t have to trim all the time, and you get a nice speed bump.

The Ruger would do about 1.5 MOA with handloads. My CZ does better than half that.

I have beaned PDs out to about 150 yards. The rifle currently wears a Leupold 3-9x rimfire scope.

I will say that the Ruger magazine is nicer, as it sits flush, and as noted, I hear the new M77 have better barrels.

Here's hornet next to K-Hornet, with a 223 for comparison. You can shoot Hornet ammo in a K-Hornet chamber.

http://guntech.com/ammo/hornet.jpg

My CZ-527 K-Hornet

http://guntech.com/cz/22hornet.jpg

Shawnee
November 1, 2007, 08:23 PM
Hi GunTech...

Do you have any experience/info/opinion on the factory fodder for the Hornet ???

Many thanks !

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger .22 Hornet ???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!