What is the best shotgun you ever had?

PDA

bernie
November 1, 2007, 11:51 PM
Mine was a used 870. When I was newly married I got into duck hunting but my only shotgun was a 2 3/4" auto. I needed something to shoot the mighty 3" magnum, but was on an extremely tight, newlywed budget. At a gunshow I found a used 870 that was on a dealers used rack, but still had styrofoam from the box in the barrel, even though there was no box with the shotgun. Mechanically, if it had been fired, it had been fired very little. The bolt face was new. However, someone had put a turkey choke in it and tried to spray paint it a camo pattern, but it turned out to be a dark pink color, which is a little odd on a shotgun to say the least. It sat on the rack all day and no one even picked it up to look at it, after all, what self respecting man would want a pink shotgun.

I do! I offered the dealer $135 for it and he took it without blinking. I have killed truckloads of game with it since that day. Ducks, rabbit, squirrel, dove, and many other species have fallen to this shotgun. It was my only shotgun for many years. This shotgun just fits me.

A few years ago I took it to my dads so that he could have a shotgun for critters and such (he lives way back in the country, where I grew up, it is truly a great place). I also use it when I occasionally get off from work just early enough to slip out for a few minutes of squirrel hunting just before dark.

My buddies laughed at me for years because of my pink shotgun, but I was death on toast with that shotgun! I finally wore off the pink paint and redid the camo job so that it looks a little more normal, but it is not quite the same anymore.

I was at dad's saturday and did one of my last minute hunts with it and noticed the stock was a little loose. I brought it home to clean and tighten up. I fixed it tonight, and I thought about all the fun that I have had with it over the years. A used shotgun has served myself, my father, and my kids will use it in the future.

What is your similar shotgun?

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the best shotgun you ever had?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
November 1, 2007, 11:57 PM
1974 Winchester Super X Model 1

Still got it, it still runs. Currently retired with a high round count.
Thank goodness shotguns cannot talk and tell some things! ;)

Scoupe
November 2, 2007, 01:36 AM
A .410 H&R single shot with the forearm held on with a twist of baling wire and a wrap of black cloth tape. That's the gun I graduated from coffee-thermos carrier to gun toter with. Still, I had to carry it open for a while. I might have got a pellet or two on a bird with it, I don't remember. But I sure remember my first big 'ol jack rabbit I ever took. He must've stretched out to 4' and had a beautiful pelt that the neighbor's dog eventually chewed up.

H&R Topper. Yep, the best gun I ever had.

Dave McCracken
November 2, 2007, 10:04 AM
Couple contenders here. A pair of 870s, Number One and Frankenstein.

Gordon
November 2, 2007, 12:02 PM
Real hard to say!The Ithaca 37 20ga I recieved new as a boy rates real high. The Browning Superposed Lightning of my deceased Uncle that I coveted in my boyhood and inherited in the 70s is probably IT.
The problem with the great 870 is (was) it's greatest asset: You can replace it easily. I have 4 Wingmasters and a dozen have gone thru my hands.

waterhouse
November 2, 2007, 12:15 PM
Real hard to say!The Ithaca 37 20ga I received new as a boy rates real high.

Well, mine was used when I got it as a boy, but 20+ years later the 37 is probably my best one as well.

Ala Dan
November 2, 2007, 12:44 PM
a Remington 870 12 gague Marine Magnum; its great for dispatching perps
who troll on your homestead grounds~! ;););)

evbutler462
November 2, 2007, 12:46 PM
Tie between the SKB 900 auto and the Franchi 48. Both have had a ton of lead depart their barrels. Won a bunch of turkey shoots with them both. I had Polychokes put on them 35-40 years ago. They are my personal favorites. I have now retired them except for turkey shoots, where they excel. Bought a new Stoeger M2000 and it is now my go to gun. It has a Polychoke II but I haven't taken tried it a turkey shoots yet.

Kingcreek
November 2, 2007, 12:54 PM
tough call.
The fwt 20g Ithaca model 37 delux is pretty sweet, had a beautiful 20 870 wingmaster, but all-in-all I think my favorite is my Berretta 390 12g. I still have possession of 18 of the 21 shotguns I ever owned.

Pete409
November 2, 2007, 01:15 PM
"What is the best shotgun you ever had? "

That depends on how you define "best". Best value? Best upland game shotgun? Best waterfowl shotgun? Best sentimental value? Best clay target shotgun? Best home defense shotgun?

I've got lots of "best" shotguns. It all depends on what I want to use it for that day. Thank goodness we aren't limited to just one shotgun.

New_geezer
November 2, 2007, 02:54 PM
My "Best" = favorite

20 ga Savage Fox-b
12 ga JC Higgins model 20 (smoooooth)

neither is legendary but they are fun

oletymer
November 2, 2007, 03:04 PM
Parker Trojan purchased by my grandfather in 1918. The gun is still collecting pheasants, doves and quail.

Marshall
November 2, 2007, 03:31 PM
Tough call. Maybe my Browning BPS, hard to say.

Pump Gun Pimp
November 2, 2007, 03:35 PM
Model 12 Winchester

foghornl
November 2, 2007, 03:39 PM
My favorite was the first repeater shotgun I owned...A Rem 20-Ga "Sportsman" model.

Don't remember exactly what happened to it, but I think the first Mrs. Foggy 'loaned' it to one of her 'friends' . . . .

Striker
November 2, 2007, 03:48 PM
Two actually:

First is a second year production 12 ga 870 Wingmaster lent to me by my uncle for my first real hunting trip at age 13 (He later gave it to me). This gun led to my lifelong affinity for 870s.

Second was the 20 ga Winchester 37A I received the following Christmas. This gun was responsible for my lifelong affinity for single shot, working shotguns.

Both hold cherished places in the gunsafe and are still used on a regular basis

Thanks for this topic bernie, as it has dredged up a whole lot of good memories this afternoon! ;) Think I'll break out some Babcock, Ford, Hill, and Rourk tonight to cap off a fine day.

Dope
November 2, 2007, 04:25 PM
Mossberg 590.

Granted, it's my only shotgun.

:P

Dope

CZ52GUY
November 2, 2007, 04:39 PM
Higgins Model 20...recently had to replace the barrel...sweet action, but place of honor is because it was my Father-in-Law's...best man I ever knew, or ever will know...

Chris B
November 2, 2007, 05:58 PM
870 express with wood stock.

Blubacon50
November 2, 2007, 06:08 PM
Winchester Model 1897 Trench Shotgun w/M1917 bayonet inherited from my grandfather in 1958. It had a ton of shells through it starting when he caried it in WWI, and hunting after the war to feed his family during the Depression. I got it when he passed away in 1958, and have also put quite a few shells threw it. It now sits in a place of honor over the fireplace in the family room, a reminder of the freedom it stood for.

Blubacon 50

chad1043
November 3, 2007, 12:10 AM
Grandpa's A5 12 Gauge.... My favorite gun hands down...

Chad

skinewmexico
November 3, 2007, 12:27 AM
The Belgian Browning Sweet 16 my dad bought from the widow of the man he named me for.

mswestfall
November 3, 2007, 11:10 AM
My Dad's 1954 A-5 12 gauge. The stock was too short, the drop at the comb is like from here to Cuba and there is this big old brass bead on the top of the Polychoke but, it's still the best!

I shoot it at pheasants.

Steve H
November 3, 2007, 11:14 AM
My field grade Citiori. I bought it about 25 years ago. It's the first shot gun I reach for when I want to go for birds. #2 is my Winchester 1500.

james_bond
November 3, 2007, 11:22 AM
as long as it is ok that it is my only shotgun, my 870 got it used nice wood, 28" barrel and a 10+1 using 2 3/4. it has mainly shot pigons (but just orange clay ones so far)

batmann
November 3, 2007, 02:04 PM
My all time favorite has to be a Wheatherby Over/Under Orion. It had great wood, great fit and most importantly--it fit me like a 'T'. I shoot many rounds of sporting clays and it went on many a Pheastant hunt. It, sadly, was sold to help my son out of a financial situation.

ruger357
November 3, 2007, 03:34 PM
Used 870 Wingmaster

Hoppy590
November 3, 2007, 03:36 PM
winchester model 12 in 20 gauge, made in 1913

gb6491
November 4, 2007, 12:13 AM
Another Model 12 fan here. Mine was a 16 ga. (very much like this one (http://www.gamefairltd.com/gunpics/m12pb.jpg)); wish I still had it.
Regards,
Greg

esmith
November 4, 2007, 01:47 AM
Ill add myself to the list of model 12 (1200)s, considering it is the only shotgun i have ever had, it pretty much has to be the best. Despite this its a really nice gun.

birdbustr
November 4, 2007, 03:11 AM
Browning A-5 12 gauge. My dad has a pair of them. Started shooting them when I was 12 years old. Kicked me to death back then. After the first couple of years on a hot dove fields, my shoulder doesn't bruise anymore. Just a little strawberry if I shoot a lot.

rocinante
November 4, 2007, 08:08 AM
Well since I only have one shotgun it would have to be the Saiga 12. For a HD weapon I can't believe it could be beat. Besides IMO its brutal cool factor is just so over the top.

I am getting into cowboy action shooting so I think I will acquire a 1887 and some sort of SxS coach gun.

308win
November 4, 2007, 09:17 AM
Sportsman58 20ga imp cyl. My first shotgun; still have it.

351 WINCHESTER
November 5, 2007, 07:50 PM
Browning auto 5 lw.

Chilean
November 5, 2007, 08:52 PM
my old 870 police

f4t9r
November 5, 2007, 09:07 PM
Browning Auto 5 was and is a great shotgun. The best I have had

stevereno1
November 5, 2007, 09:21 PM
browning B-80 is my #1 dove slayer, the mossberg 500 persuader is the MAN for defense. 8+1, dual extractors, solid as a rock, and my gradkids can shoot it 50 years from now!

MCgunner
November 5, 2007, 09:29 PM
Probably my M1400 Winchester, though there's a spot in my heart for my old Sarasqueta side by side. The Winchester is sweet, absorbs recoil like a 12 gauge sponge and fits like a tailored suit. It's a 3" chamber and a tang safety away from being perfect, but I work around that. I don't hunt geese all that often and when I do, I have a Mossberg 500 for that. I hunt ducks more with that Mossberg, too, because the salt marsh is a harsh environment and the Winchester still looks pretty decent for a no frills shotgun. The Mossberg has a camo finish, plastic stock, tang safety, and no shell elevator in the way of my reloads. But, asked which I'd rather shoot I'll tell you the Winchester every time. :D

I'm warming to my new 20 gauge side by side Remington Spartan, but haven't had it long enough to make enough memories, yet. But, it sure is a good shootin' gun. I'm going to take it duck hunting in the morning to make some new memories. :D I really like side by sides to hunt with, but never could afford a really NICE one. But, the Spartan is a heck-uv-a good shooter and I reckon that's what really counts.

moojpg2
November 5, 2007, 09:47 PM
My Winchester Model 1300 20 Gauge, got it brand new for $200 at wal-mart, with smooth bore slug barrel, and regular barrel with screw in chokes. I have put a few thousand rounds through it shooting trap and clays, still looks like the day I bought it, and the slug barrel shoots almost as good as my T/C muzzle loader with rifled slugs out to 100yds. I use it more than my $800 Franchi Diamond 12 gauge semi auto. ( which is also a really nice gun, same as a benelli imho, but half the price)

Gustav
November 6, 2007, 01:07 AM
Winchester model 12 take down and I do miss it.:(

Would love to find an 1897 Winchester not one of the Chinese ones or another Winchester model 12 someday.

Sun195
November 6, 2007, 01:36 AM
Remington 11-87 Premiere 26" - it just feels right and I shoot it best of all my shotguns. I've bought other shotguns since and sometimes I just wonder why bother.

RonE
November 6, 2007, 11:46 AM
At one time I owned 12 Winchester Mod 12's and 4 Mod 42's and they were great for hunting, trap shooting and skeet shooting but probably the best two shotguns I have owned were a Perazzi Trap gun and a Remington 3200 trap gun. The Rem had a faster trigger than the Perazzi.

romeo212000
November 6, 2007, 03:04 PM
Well at this point my favorite shotgun is my Yildiz O/U. It points and swings like a dream and is a pleasure to carry in the field. However, I have to say I dont think you could blow up my 870 express with dynamite. That is one tough gun. It has been dropped in mud and water while duck hunting, band against branches and brush turkey hunting, and has never failed to fire. If I was allowed to have only one gun to be used for everything it would be my 870. You just cant beat em'

Wild Bill Kelso
November 7, 2007, 10:13 AM
The Best Shotgun I ever Had ?

Depends on which portion of my you focus on.

When I was 16 I had a 10 gauge double that I loved - had a lot of fun with 2-7/8" shells.

During my college years a Remington 870 20 gauge with a plain barrel and a tootsie roll forend made me the most dangerous man in the world out to 40 yards.

Then came a Remington 870 12 gauge which served me well for a lot of years.

Then came a Remington 1100 Special Field.

Then a Remington 11-87 SPS-T.

Then a Churchill 'turkey hunter' 10 gauge double.

My latest loev affair is with a Winchester model 59 which I am in process of 'Woolnerizing'.

10X
November 7, 2007, 10:55 AM
A Winchester Model 97 was my best shotgun. It fit me perfectly. The hammer made it easy for a lefty to operate. The pattern was very very dense. I have busted pheasants 60 yards away on a good day.

Hokkmike
November 7, 2007, 11:07 AM
It is the ONLY shotgun I have. The Beretta Whitewing O/U 12 guage. I had a Ithica Model 37 Featherweight at on time. It was a great gun. Worst that I woned was a Marlin lever action 20 gauge.

Taurus44
November 7, 2007, 12:00 PM
I have four in the running for "my favorite".

1. First year production Remington 1100 12ga. It belonged to my Great-Grandfather, then my Grandfather, then my Uncle and then me. It is used, but still in immaculate shape, and still killing critters and clays on a regular basis.

2. Winchester 1200 12ga. The first shotgun my Father ever bought for himself. Also in great shape, also still used regularly.

3. Ithaca Model 37 Featherweight 12ga. My Father-in-law's first shotgun from when he was a kid. This thing is the ultimate pheasant killing machine!

4. Mossberg 500 12ga... The first shotgun I ever bought (well used). I have had this gun for about 17 years now, and even after a couple trips to the bottom of the lake and being dropped in just about anything you can drop a shotgun in, it still goes bang every time. It's probably the least valuable of all my shotguns, and it is definitely in the worst shape, but it has so much sentimental value I would never part with it.

I have a handfull of other scatterguns, but those four are definitely my favorites.

dogrunner
November 7, 2007, 03:27 PM
Browning A/5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep all those cheap stamped 870s you want that old JMB is like that pink bunny....just keeps on going and going and............!

KBintheSLC
November 7, 2007, 04:42 PM
+1 on the 870. The only shotgun I'll ever need.

txgolfer45
November 7, 2007, 09:19 PM
No one best shotgun for me. I enjoy each one that I own for different reasons. If I had to choose, it would either be my very first shotgun - Remington 11-87 12 ga as it is the one I started with or my latest acquisition - Browning Citori White Lightning 12 ga field grade.

MCgunner
November 7, 2007, 09:25 PM
Funny, but the least favorite I ever had was an 870 Wingmaster. It shot well, but it didn't fit well and the ergos sux for a southpaw. It had no apparent endearing qualities to it. I sold it after I'd gotten my Sarasqueta double about 1973. Oh, it shot fine, I just didn't like it that much.

wraco
November 7, 2007, 11:26 PM
Model 12's. inluding the M42.

byf43
November 7, 2007, 11:35 PM
Best????

Really tough decision.

All of them (except two) are 'the best'. With that said, I have almost a dozen shotguns.
The two that I (with emphasis. . . "I") don't classify as 'best' are the two Mossbergs that I won in raffles.

The 'best' are Remingtons.

My #1 that I reach for more often than any other, is my 1983 model 1100 Magnum.
My first wife accused me of loving that shotgun more than I loved her.

I still have the shotgun. . . some other dipstick has her.:rolleyes:
So. . . I guess I DO love it more than her.

Remington 1100
Remington 870
Beretta Silver Pigeon II

2TransAms
November 8, 2007, 12:06 AM
I've got a few shotguns,but the 20" Mossberg 500A has bedside duty. It went from dual pistol grips (I was 19,ok?) to a full Hogue stock and it has gone a lot of rounds with minimal cleaning,but has never failed me. Other shotguns have come and gone but for some reason I want to hold on to this one. I even had it sold at one time,and changed my mind. I think I like it because it's a beater,and it does that job quite well.

ShunZu
November 8, 2007, 09:36 AM
Ithaca XL900 in 20 gauge with a 26" barrel, improved cylinder. Best rabbit and dove gun I've ever owned. Stolen (along with 30 others) in 1978 unfortunately, and have NEVER been able to find another. :(

macFarlaine
November 8, 2007, 10:27 AM
Greener GP underlever 12b single barrel.Best looking gun Bonehill 4 bore 34 inch barrels hammer gun,very few survived most were mounted on to punts.Most unusual a pair of Superbrites,side opening O/Us (like a car door)

ldp4570
November 8, 2007, 10:49 AM
There are two. First is my Greatgrand father's 1897 purchased sometime in 1903, and has been passed down, and some day will go to my son. Second is my Dad's 1956 Browning Auto-5 with three barrels. That one will also go to my son one day.

longboard
November 8, 2007, 02:52 PM
My Savage model 30B 20 ga. plain barrel.
My Mom bought it for my 15th Christmas. I did more hunting and plain old shooting with that shotgun than any since.
Wish I still had it. My Father in law gave me his Mossberg 12ga. 500 plain barrel and it is going to have to fill the void for me.
Did great on Doves in September, will be going again this weekend.
Other shotguns,
20ga Ruger O/U.
20ga 1000 LW.
20ga Stoger scatter gun for Cowboy shoot'in.
Longboard

simpleguy
November 8, 2007, 02:59 PM
Browning Auto - Lite 12, it was grandpa's and will be one of my children's someday.

Capstick1
November 8, 2007, 06:19 PM
I recently purchased a Browning Auto Five Light twelve. Out of all the shotguns I have with the exception of my 525 this is probably my favorite. I regret not buying one of these ten years ago when they were still being manufactured. It's getting hard to find parts for these shotguns, especially the spare barrels. I guess this shotgun isn't very "Mass Production friendly" like the remingtons and the Benelis. That's why Browning discontinued this model after a 95 year run. It certainly outlasted many other semiautomatic shotguns that tried to compete with it. It probably will never happen but I do wish Browning would consider bringing this shotgun back again.

Big Az Al
November 9, 2007, 04:34 AM
The exspensive shotgun growd look down their noses at my

Browning Auto 5 light 12, but when I do my part it is one sweet shotgun.

There is an 870 that I let go of 20some years ago, but I already had the A5 then

TrapperReady
November 9, 2007, 01:45 PM
It's all highly dependent upon what you're measuring. It's like asking a craftsman which is his favorite tool. His answer might be "my hammer", but that's not too useful if you're trying to plane a piece of wood.

The shotgun which I value most is the Model 12 which is on it's third generation within my family. The shotgun which is the best looking, most expensive and the best for breaking clay targets is a custom fitted Kolar. When I'm having a crappy day and just want to put a smile on my face, the best is a Winchester Model 42.

robsc
November 9, 2007, 02:12 PM
Remington M/11 12gauge stolen January 1969

351 WINCHESTER
November 11, 2007, 11:28 PM
Browning a 5 hands down. It only jammed once and only because I was shooting low brass shells and had the gun set up for high brass.

wayno
December 22, 2007, 09:10 PM
Mod 1897 and Mod 12 Winchester

CajunBass
December 22, 2007, 10:50 PM
A couple of Remington 1100's 12's I used to have. One I traded in, and the other was actually my ex wife's and she still has it.

And a Sears/Mossberg pump 12 ga.

pezo
December 22, 2007, 11:54 PM
For defensive purposes. the 590-a1

elkhuntingfool
December 23, 2007, 04:26 PM
Benelli Nova - hands down. I ran it over and barrel was bent 10-15 degrees. Had a gunsmith straighten it for $20 and it shoots just fine. I've shot everything with it since I got it back and it's treated me just fine.

Oldnamvet
December 23, 2007, 04:48 PM
For hunting, rapidly turning into my Mossberg 930. Last week 5 birds flushed, 5 birds in freezer.

ms
December 24, 2007, 06:04 PM
My best one is my winchester X2 3 1/2"

f4t9r
December 24, 2007, 06:39 PM
Browning Auto 5
Its a great gun !!!!!!

possom813
December 24, 2007, 07:21 PM
Favorite

J.C. Higgins Model 101.7 SxS .410

Close second, and gets used more

J.C. Higgins Model 20 12ga, all kinds of fun

tinygnat219
December 24, 2007, 07:31 PM
Winchester 1100. Still have it.

tblt
December 24, 2007, 07:36 PM
870 wingmaster

TAB
December 24, 2007, 07:38 PM
1100 youth 20 ga, got it when I was 10 for Xmas, Gift from my grandfather. It will be passed on to my children and hopfully my grand children.

Tony Gable
December 24, 2007, 08:23 PM
My favorite shotgun is a Winchester 1200. Mom and Dad bought it for me when I was 12 years old.(1974) I've dumped loads of quail, pheasant, dove, chuckar and magpies with it. Dad and I got into trap shooting in the mid to late 70,s and that is all i used. I used to out shoot just about everyone at the trap range with it. Ran thousands of rounds down the tube and it still looks like the day I unwrapped it. I have several shotguns but this one is it.

Tony

bearmgc
December 24, 2007, 11:31 PM
Toss up tween my SKB 505 O/U and my Winchester SX-2. Wouldn't part with either.

Gunfighter123
December 28, 2007, 01:21 AM
A toss up between a USAS-12 and the Saiga S-12 at the bottom of the photo --- this Saiga will feed buck , birdshot or slugs -- even mix them in the mags and it still has been 100% reliable.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b199/Jailbird123/DSC00862.jpg

Oneofsix
December 28, 2007, 06:09 PM
I used to have an 870 Wingmaster, seemed like everything I pointed it at went down, without fail. stupidly sold it many years ago.

berettabomber
December 30, 2007, 01:32 PM
It's a toss up between my granddad's old Model 11 and my new Beretta AL391.

skarpenz
December 30, 2007, 01:34 PM
Remington 870. I've shot a few mossbergs, and I have a few single shots but the 870 is by far my favorite shotgun.

HisDivineShadow
December 30, 2007, 02:39 PM
Hard for me to say as I've only had one shotgun so far. But damn do I like it alot! Especially with all the modding I have done and am going to do :)

870 Express, being turned into 870 USMC Mk.1

A future purchase sometime is likely going to be an 1887 Winchester clone by norinco. We'll see about that one when we get there.

pablo45
December 31, 2007, 03:17 AM
My Maverick 88 has been nothing short of awesome. Not one complaint not one malfunction. I love it!

possum
December 31, 2007, 03:56 AM
remington 1100 20ga. it was simple amazing.

PTK
December 31, 2007, 05:16 AM
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/6474/nef1yt2.th.jpg (http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nef1yt2.jpg)

With much blame landing squarely on Steve, my favorite shotgun is a 32" barrel single shot 12ga. With that sling and bandoleer (mostly 4, 6, and 8 shot, then a few 00 buck, and two slugs) I can take anything that walks, flies or crawls.

Although it's still in good shape, I carry it out in the woods quite a bit now, as well as bringing it to the range at every chance I get. 12ga ammo is inexpensive, easy to come by, and suited to many tasks.

grafsk8er
December 31, 2007, 10:31 AM
nicest shotguns i have are my 1878 parker gh, and a turn of the century parker dh grade. most beautiful guns i've shot or hunted with.

Camjr
December 31, 2007, 10:46 AM
I've had pumps, o/u's, and semiautos. My favorite is and has been an old Beretta 390 with a synthetic stock purchased at a WalMart about 7 years ago. Beretta had already discontinued the 390 in favor of the Urika, Wally World still had the 390. I use it for EVERYTHING you would need a shotgun for (competitive skeet league, 5-stand league, dove hunting, duck hunting, pheasant and quail, etc., etc., etc.,). The only things I've added are the Beretta gel recoil pad, a hi-viz front sight with a selection of light tubes, and Briley extended choke tubes. I've run at least 5k-6k through it and it eats absolutely everything from light target loads to heavy hunting rounds. Beretta made a great decision to bring back the 390 as the 3901 at a lower price point than the Urika.

wraco
December 31, 2007, 05:58 PM
Model 12 Winchesters. -- :)

Rod

tblt
December 31, 2007, 05:59 PM
870 wingmaster great gun

birdbustr
December 31, 2007, 06:16 PM
What happened to all of those that want to put the Mossbergs against the 870? Plenty of Remington 870 votes.

The Browning Gold is quickly gaining ground to my personal preference, but the A-5 still has kept my confidence for over 20 years of hunting in every type of environment. The Browning A-5 is the finest shotgun ever made and has the track record to prove it. I think a poll would prove this.

MarshallDodge
December 31, 2007, 06:30 PM
1987: JC Higgins 12 Gauge that had an occasional hiccup.
1991: Mossberg 500 combo kit.
1995: Sold the JC Higgins and bought a Browning Citori.
2002: Benelli Nova because it was cheap. It serves as a camper gun.
2005: Bought a used Mossberg 590A1, sold the combo.
2006: Purchased a HK/Benelli M1 S90.
2007: Remington 1100 and 870.

So far it is a toss up between the Citori and the M1 S90. They both have their purpose and do the job well.

MarshallDodge
December 31, 2007, 06:35 PM
The Browning Gold is quickly gaining ground to my personal preference

I shot one last week. Very nice! :cool:

PJR
December 31, 2007, 06:53 PM
It's like asking a parent which kid he loves most.

Is my best shotgun my Spanish sxs? Great memories of the trip to Spain to order it, some fine times afield with good friends.

Or maybe my Perazzi o/u? The gun didn't make me a better shooter but this gun made me put the effort in to get better and I did. Definitely a contender.

My Beretta 391 perhaps? Oh my, I love this shotgun. I shoot it as well as my o/u at clays. It drops ducks and geese with style. It's not so nice I don't worry about it in the duck blind but fits right in on the rack at the club.

What about my little 28 gauge o/u. A pure delight. My favorite gauge. How many times shooting clays have I heard someone say "There's no way a 28 gauge can reach that far" only to have this gun prove them wrong.

Then there's my 870. On a couple of unforgettable nights when the hair on the back of my neck was straight up nothing was more comforting in my hands. I don't know if the sound of an 870 racking does frighten a bad guy but I know it gives me a sense of confidence to hear that sound.

And the winner is.......

I'm still thinking about it. :D

Hoppy590
December 31, 2007, 07:04 PM
What happened to all of those that want to put the Mossbergs against the 870? Plenty of Remington 870 votes.

iv said it before, il say it again. 870 doesnt hold a candle to the Winchester Model 12.

i am glad to see lots of Winchester M12 votes. and for all those who didnt choose the M12, il simply assume youve never had the pleasure to use one.

larry24
December 31, 2007, 09:16 PM
any of my 870's

Clipper
December 31, 2007, 09:19 PM
Winchester M-12.

Clark
January 2, 2008, 09:59 PM
This 3" mag 12 ga was modified by Stan Baker to take screw in chokes by swaging, not reaming.

Normally I can dicker anyone down, but I paid the whole $400 the guy wanted.

HOLY DIVER
January 2, 2008, 10:23 PM
funny most peoples favorite shotgun is the one they grew up shooting
i'm the same i got my 500 20ga. when i was 10 love tha thing
i've owned a few outher shotguns since but i traded them off and so on
i guess it comes down to what your most comfortable with and if you have been shooting a shotgun for 20 years............

sinistr
January 3, 2008, 09:19 PM
benelli m1 s90,hk import,'cause of the extra shell...and the ability to reverse the safety for the southpaw.

Rshooter
January 4, 2008, 04:35 PM
I do not like pistol grips, folding stocks, rifle sights, or extended mags on shotguns. I prefer them basic. Then one day I saw a used police trade-in for sale at an auction site. It sat for over a year unsold calling my name before I realized it was fate. It is a all factory stock 870 police issue and it is the ugliest shotgun ever made.http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd69/ssgtward/870policefs2.jpg[/IMG]

hunter55
January 4, 2008, 10:08 PM
I got an Ithace Mod37 16 ga about 40 years ago. It was new in the box. I still take it to Iowa every year and drop pheasants with amazing regularity. Light weight, easy to carry, smooth action. An oldie but a goodie.

hunter44
January 4, 2008, 10:37 PM
Mine is my only HD shotgun - a Police-used Remmy 870 Marine Magnum I acquired six years ago. When it arrived, it looked new & my FFL couldn't tell it was 'used'. It still looks new cos I take a good care of it. So far its been utterly reliable.

johnnyh
October 25, 2008, 11:19 AM
"Best" is relative.
Mine is a model 2, type II H&R handy gun (.410) single shot.
Manufactured btwn 1925-1927
My grandfather won it on a bet, in a beer bar, in Oregon.

I use to sneak it out from my parents bedroom to go shoot it down by the creek, never thinking that Dad would know that the box of shells were vanishing before his eyes. When he died in 2001, Mom gave it to me and I registered it as a relic.

Boy I wish this gun could talk. I will never part with it. Talk about,"from my cold dead hands"

357wheelgunner
October 25, 2008, 11:43 AM
This mint '70s WIngmaster riotgun. The action is so smooth, and it goes so well with my modern Police magnum, they're identical except for finishes and action slickness:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c138/357wheelgunner/BeautyBeast2.jpg

ds92
October 25, 2008, 05:31 PM
My only one: My beloved mossberg 930!

Virginian
October 25, 2008, 07:02 PM
The best was a Winchester Model 23 SxS in 28 gauge. Fantastic quail gun.
My favorite would have to be my first Remington 1100. In the fall of 1963, I was without a shotgun, after selling a Beretta Golden Snipe, with two sets of barrels, that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with, standing inside the barn. I had been thinking about a Remington Sportsman 58. I picked up (I think it was) Outdoor Life, and there was a 2 page spread for the new 1100. We found one and went, and got it one day after school, and when we got home I didn't even change clothes (and we used to get dressed for school) and went and jumped in a boat, and paddled down the lake and found two canvasbacks way back up in a cove. They came flying out and I swung, and I will never forget the sight of both of those birds dropping and sliding to a stop on the calm water. I had found my gun. I started shooting skeet. The next fall I got my first limit of doves. Last Saturday I shot my first goose in Canada with it.

Hollywood Marine
October 27, 2008, 04:25 AM
My model 12 factory trap gun. Been shooting about 3/4 to a whole flat of shells a week through it since I bought it, and it just keeps on chuggin......

Ed DCB
October 27, 2008, 06:44 AM
The best I had was a Franchi Master Trap, like if we were born for each other. It went up smoothly to my shoulder and I never felt so comfortable with any other shotgun.
I have had a Merkel SxS, a few 870, some Benelli and Franchi of various models and łany other pumpguns.
I am curently having fun with the italian copy of the Winchester 1887.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the best shotgun you ever had?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!