Easy to clean .22 semi?

PDA

BridgeWalker
November 1, 2007, 11:53 PM
I have a Marlin 60, and it's fine for plinking and all, but it just gets absolutely filthy pretty fast. It seems that .22 tends to be pretty dirty in general.

The action in the Marlin is quite difficult to clean well. Lots of areas with clearance tight enough to prevent cleaning but not tight enough to prevent lots of gunk from gritting it up.

Is there a lower-end .22 semi that is simple to clean thoroughly?

Also, I was thinking of switching from CLP to a dry lube in an effort to keep it a bit cleaner and easier to clean. Any suggestions on what to use? I picked up some Microlon ultra blue because it was all the local place had on hand and I recognized the name, but it seems more of penetrating lube than a dry lube. Might let me run it drier, but maybe still pick up and hold onto all that grit.

Yeah, I know I'm obsessing an awful lot for a $70 rifle, but I like to do things right. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Easy to clean .22 semi?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArmedBear
November 1, 2007, 11:56 PM
GunBlast or some types of Brake Cleaner.

That stuff gets in those little corners really easily with zero effort.

Personally, I find the 60 to be pretty easy to clean, and I didn't us a spray. That means that the others I have must be no easier, at best.:)

Hoppes-soaked qtips are your friend.

The easiest? Marlin 39!

Not cheap, though, or a semi. Accurate and fun.

But a 60 spoils you for spending a lot. It's a damn good rifle, and cheap.

jpwilly
November 2, 2007, 12:01 AM
+1 for aerosol spray cleaners...then a shot of CLP and your done!

BridgeWalker
November 2, 2007, 12:01 AM
I'm not using a spray, but the bottled stuff. I'm happy with using CLP to clean it, just thinking of a different lube.
What is gunblast?

the naked prophet
November 2, 2007, 12:04 AM
Lube with grease instead of oil. Oil will catch the carbon and hot gases, grease won't as much.

Or, do as I did, and sell the rifle, and buy a bolt action!

I did buy a Westernfield 67A semiauto. 2000 rounds through an already-dirty gun, and no jams yet. But it's ooooooooooold. And I got it for $67!

BridgeWalker
November 2, 2007, 12:10 AM
Well, I only bought it a month ago!

I might like a bolt action though. I love my Mosin, just can't afford to shoot it much. For curiosity's sake though, I'm interested in comparing cleaning eas with other .22 semis.

Funderb
November 2, 2007, 12:17 AM
Brake cleaner, or pressurized gasoline.
Just please by all means let it air out before refiring.
Scratch the gasoline thing.
Nevermind
Just use carburator cleaner.
much gentler than either of those.
Then lightly touch a toothbrush with
no-grit oil (supposed to not attract dust)
nd brush down all the parts.
And you're done.

Either that or buy a stevens semi-auto tube fed
model 87a I've got one, and it's excellent!

Only ever had one FTF. shot thousands of rounds.
And once it went full auto for three rounds, but it was just the retainer being jammed. (slamfire). My buddy had neglected to clean the trigger assembly after I lent it to him for a week.
But If you find one, buy it.

BridgeWalker
November 2, 2007, 12:20 AM
Yeah, uh, no thanks on the gasoline. At least a quarter of the fun of guns is the wonderful smell of gun oil and powder. I hate the smell of gasoline. :o

Funderb
November 2, 2007, 12:34 AM
Yeah, hence the scratch that part.
I do enjoy it, but thats after hours under the old VW Thing.
Aquired taste.

But in all seriousness, check out a stevens!

eliphalet
November 2, 2007, 12:38 AM
70's I had a Marlin 60 that I would only clean every 2500 rounds or so. IIRC all it got inbetween was a shot of WD-40 now and then or maybe a little Remoil.
Don't use carb or break cleaner if your gun has any plastic parts.

BridgeWalker
November 2, 2007, 12:46 AM
Well, I dunno what I'm doing wrong. I get maybe 200-400 rounds before I can hear and feel grit every time I chamber a round. I thought I must be over-oiling, so I cleaned it out and tried *very* minimal oiling (oil, not grease though) and still had the problem. It's not in front of me, so I can't describe real well, but there're some parts so close I can't get a q-tip or similar in there to clean them out at all, and yet they fill up with grit awfully fast.

It gets less dirty when I shoot higher grade ammo, but what's a plinking gun for if not the cheap stuff?

Sgt.Dusk
November 2, 2007, 12:46 AM
get ruger 10/22
No matter how dirty it gets
it still works.
If your gun gets real dirty really fast I suggest you change
ammo. Some .22's are too waxed for my liking.
Federals are nice and dry and dont mess up your gun.Good for plinking.
For other purposes I use Lapua Speedace which unfortunately is
way too waxed.

eliphalet
November 2, 2007, 01:08 AM
I have sprayed WD into tight places to kinda flush out junk now and again using the little red straw that comes with a can of the stuff. Then lay the gun on a rag and let it drain for awhile or overnight. Not Hoyle I guess and maybe a lazy way to clean stuff, but oh well.

chris in va
November 2, 2007, 01:14 AM
Powder Blast will *really* get that junk out. Just can't use it on plastic parts. Ask me how I know.:scrutiny:

Thought about a Henry lever action?

Slugless
November 2, 2007, 08:23 AM
The only time I've every had to clean my Nylon 66 is when I decided it would be a good idea to put a light coat of CLP in it. Doh!

Now I've had to clean it twice. Now I've got a copy of the owner's manual with the rifle.

When I've cleaned it, the only handy spray was contact cleaner, something more powerful would have done better. I'm going to have to do the toothpick thing I'm sure.

Delta, I'd suggest the spray cleaner/qtip/toothbrush/toothpick and try switching ammo. I've not bought the remington green box in a while because that stuff was incredibly filthy. The Federal megapack is nice stuff.

Good suggestion about the dry PTFE lube. I was eyeing that stuff myself. I was thinking that for a .22 it might be okay.

But since it's not a firearms lube, I tried Tetra (I normally use it for centerfire). The film from that is pretty dry stuff, sheds carbon pretty well. I put Tetra on my Model 39A as a bit of an experiment but it's only been a couple hundred rounds so I've not seen if there's a difference yet.

Let us know if you find something good. I hate that gritty sound in my Buckmark pistol.

CajunBass
November 2, 2007, 11:59 AM
Clean a 22? :confused:

ArmedBear
November 2, 2007, 12:25 PM
get ruger 10/22
it still works.

A complete load of bullcrap, at least in my experience.

My Ruger 22/45 can go 4 bricks between cleanings and just start to lose accuracy, and that's with really dirty rounds. Feeds perfectly every time. But when I DO clean it, aerosol is a godsend.

But my 10/22 is pretty picky about fouling. Even the magazine feed lips need to be wiped down with a rag at the range when I shoot it enough. Picky about ammo, too. I'm not at all thrilled with it, but it's probably not worth selling unless I'm really broke.

ArmedBear
November 2, 2007, 12:28 PM
There's now a plastic-safe aerosol (from Kleenbore, maybe?).

I don't think there are plastic parts on the 60, provided you remove the internal magazine tube and only clean the barreled action. The trigger guard on mine is plastic, but there's no reason to clean the part that stays with the stock.

Mr White
November 2, 2007, 01:31 PM
Powder Blast will *really* get that junk out. Just can't use it on plastic parts. Ask me how I know +1
That stuff could clean the stink off of a skunk!

OK Chris, what did you ruin with Powder Blast? I've ruined a few things with it myself.

Also, +1 on the 10/22 suggestion. I don't necessarily agree with the idea that you can never clean them and they'll still work flawlessly, but they are reliable and accurate guns and are very easy to clean.

Chris B
November 2, 2007, 01:40 PM
+ another 100 for powderblaster. No scrubbing required, just spray a healthy stream and let the crud flow out. Excellent for cleaning springs and anything else you can't get to with a brush or patch.

Breakfree podwer blaster is great because it doesn't have ammonia so shouldn't cause any deterioration of metal if left on without applying oil. I ruined the carpet in my last apartment though by cleaning over a towel and letting the stuff soak through to the floor. I reccomend using the stuff in a well ventilated area over something that is waterproof (or in a bathtub).

madcratebuilder
November 2, 2007, 02:18 PM
I have started using dry moly lube on my three rimfires, a small paint brush and compressed air makes short work of the receiver and trigger group. I use r-f glaze for the bore. The GM barrel and 22/45 can be picky about what ammo it feed it, the krinker plinker eats anything but stingers.

KBintheSLC
November 2, 2007, 02:47 PM
Quote:
get ruger 10/22
it still works.
A complete load of bullcrap, at least in my experience.

I love my Ruger 10/22, but it does need some tlc. I put an aftermarket extractor in there that helps a lot. It is very easy to field strip though. After you do it a few times it only takes 30-60 seconds of so. The 22/45 is more reliable because it has an actual feed ramp, unlike the 10/22 which feeds from the lips of the mag. However, the 22/45 is more of a pain to field strip.

I opt for a 10/22. Had several of them over the last 20 years. Love 'em

ArmedBear
November 2, 2007, 03:42 PM
A 22/45 is FAR easier than a 10/22 to field strip. No tools required, takes a couple seconds.

Putting it back TOGETHER is what's harder... :)

Funderb
November 2, 2007, 03:49 PM
I've got a 10/22 and my vote it still with the stevens.
no plastic. Use any solvent because a penny will take the complete barrel/action everything out of the stock. Spray and swab, and you're done.

AZ Jeff
November 2, 2007, 07:52 PM
Being able to clean a .22 autoloading rimfire rifle easily and thoroughly is something I have always considered as "gotta have" features when I have shopped for such rifles.

So far, there are only two autoloading rifles I have found that are truly easy to disassemble and clean thoroughly:

Browning .22 auto
Remington Model 597

bamabluesman
November 2, 2007, 11:58 PM
What type of cheap ammo are you using? Remington golden bullets are very dirty. I find the federal stuff to be much cleaner. If you are using the federal bulk pack try stepping up to the American Eagles from Federal. Still a cheap plinking ammo but works better for me than the bulk pack. A 10/22 has fewer parts and is easier to clean than your marlin but without modification it won't be as accurate as the marlin. I have several of both and one of my 10/22's is very accurate in its stock form but I just got lucky. Marlin is hard to beat for a semi .22 and not that hard to clean. Do a search for the Marlin 60 takedown thread here. I think its the most popular thread that has ever been posted on this forum.

Sunray
November 3, 2007, 12:04 AM
"...gets absolutely filthy pretty fast..." Change ammo. Try as many brands as you can find because not all .22 ammo will both shoot well and cycle the action. The cost of said ammo doesn't matter either.

ArmedBear
November 3, 2007, 12:15 AM
Another vote for the American Eagles. They work great in my 60, as in jagged one-hole groups at 25 yards from a rest.

But I use the bulk Remington Golden Bullets, too. I'm too cheap to resist them.:)

jacobhh
November 4, 2007, 10:53 PM
It is very easy to field strip though. After you do it a few times it only takes 30-60 seconds of so.

And you can get it back together that fast too, if you don't drop that
?!@#$% hammer spring.

Danny Creasy
November 4, 2007, 11:03 PM
Nothing blows back in the action. Clean the bore every few hunded rounds (easy to do from the chamber end with a bolt gun) and put a drop of Tetra Grease on the locking lug(s) and you are ready to go again.

CZ 452 American

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f169/sheffieldshootr/CZAmericanSimmons-1.jpg

ImARugerFan
November 5, 2007, 11:52 AM
Browning buckmark rifle looks really easy to clean. Assuming the action comes apart like the handgun. You'll need to be picky about your ammo though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Easy to clean .22 semi?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!