Recommend me a 12ga SxS between $1000 - $1500

PDA

joe_kidd
November 2, 2007, 07:39 AM
I've done a bit of a search but nothing specific comes up...

I need a 12ga SxS for between the stated price, I'm looking for the best possible value (of course). Something that is reliable, quality built, and will stand the test of time.

Suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Recommend me a 12ga SxS between $1000 - $1500" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
News Shooter
November 2, 2007, 07:41 AM
You'll get a lot of suggestions. I'm not recommending this because I have one, it's that I WISH I had one. Check out the CZs

joe_kidd
November 2, 2007, 08:02 AM
Well that Ringneck from CZ looks pretty tempting. Even the Bobwhite doesn't look too bad!

Anyone have any more suggestions?

Gordon
November 2, 2007, 11:04 AM
Browning BSS or SKB 'made in Japan'.

Deer Hunter
November 2, 2007, 11:20 AM
I'd go with the CZ. But in all honesty, my Stoeger does everything a side-by-side should do, and it cost me $300.

Oldnamvet
November 2, 2007, 03:08 PM
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/SPR_models/SPR220_side-by-side.asp

Don't forget the Russian Remingtons. I have one of their O/U ($399) and after 6 months of regular use, I really like it. You can get the SXS with either single or double trigger as well.

joe_kidd
November 3, 2007, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Gordon, are the made in Japan Brownings also known by the Miroku brand?

Gordon
November 3, 2007, 12:49 AM
Yes!

Dr.Rob
November 3, 2007, 02:08 AM
That CZ Ringneck is realllly pretty. I handled one last January... gorgeous up close too.

Gordon
November 3, 2007, 04:13 AM
I know a store near here with a beautiful Ithaca SKB 12ga straight grip for $900, a 95 % BSS for $1100 and best of all a perfect restored later LC Smith mid grade 12ga. for $1700, all from same estate. PM if interested.

CZ223
November 3, 2007, 07:08 AM
you can find one or even how much they go for but the Ruger Gold Label is everything a side by side should be in my opinion. I had a chance to shoot one when they were still in development and I was really impressed by it. I used it for trap and shot a 23 and 22. I had never shot higher than 22 before or since. I love the look of the CZ guns though I have never shot one.

Shawnee
November 3, 2007, 09:39 AM
I'd agree with Gordon's advice. I have had both since the late 70s. Either the BSS or SKB would serve you well.

joe_kidd
November 3, 2007, 06:28 PM
What about new guitars in the 1000 - 1500 price bracket? Where I live it's kind of hard to get secondhand guns, unless I go to a store where they whack a huge margin on them. :(

Airedale
November 3, 2007, 06:59 PM
I bought a CZ Ringneck in 16ga. today. It will be my wild bird back up gun. I like it and will test it on birds tomorrow.

I've had good sxs for many years. The CZ may be the best option at the price point.

Whittakers Guns near Owensboro, Ky has a bunch of them in stock and they ship.

Dave

Ala Dan
November 3, 2007, 10:49 PM
CZ's are a great value, and well built firearms; so that would probably be my
first choice in a side by side; with the new Marlin LC Smith coming in a distant
second~! :scrutiny: ;) :D

joe_kidd
November 3, 2007, 11:14 PM
Hmmm there seems to be a lot of CZ love! I was looking at getting on of their rifles, the 453 American, so I might have to go for the CZ-double!

Gordon
November 4, 2007, 01:04 AM
I like to spend my large $ on things with proven value and track records. I like to buy under market value on items that will keep going up. They have to be in excellent + mechanical shape and use modern ammo and cosmetically very saleable. The LC I mentioned is a $2500 gun and is quite exceptional. A good clean Ithaca SKB SxS (especially a straight grip with IC an Mod chokes) is a $1000+ gun and the BSS just seems to be going up, as people realize how good they were (especially the Japanese built ones) as long term shooters.O/Us are a different ballgame.

joe_kidd
November 4, 2007, 04:43 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys - some interesting takes on things that I hadn't even thought about before too! Keep 'em coming!

joe_kidd
November 6, 2007, 03:53 AM
Bump - any more suggestions? I just checked and I can't get SKB in Australia :(.

If you enjoyed reading about "Recommend me a 12ga SxS between $1000 - $1500" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!