Slug Barrel for my 8 shot Mossy 500

PDA

Exmasonite
November 2, 2007, 11:36 AM
Hey all...

So I recently received a Mossberg 500 as a gift. It is 12 ga, 7+1 capacity, 20" cylinder bore barrel.

I was interested in getting a rifled barrel for her to do some deer hunting. From looking around online, the replacement barrels all seem to be for the 6 shot model.

2 questions:

1) Do they make a slug barrel that will work with my 8 shot mossy?

2) If not, what do i need to do to get a rifled barrel onto this shotgun?

Thank you guys in advance for all the help and advice.

If you enjoyed reading about "Slug Barrel for my 8 shot Mossy 500" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
foghornl
November 2, 2007, 01:01 PM
Here you go, copy-n-paste from Maverick Arms website:

88™ and 500 8-SHOT MODEL BARRELS (3" chambers)

90241 (part number)
28" VENT RIB PORTED
ACCU-SET
BLUE (8-shot)
$133

90235 (part number)
20" BEAD SIGHT
CYLINDER BORE
BLUE (8-shot)
$74

90240 (Part number)
20" RIFLE SIGHTS
CYLINDER BORE
BLUE (8-shot)
$105

Exmasonite
November 2, 2007, 01:45 PM
ah, that's the key!! thank you.

i was looking at Mossy's website, not maverick's.

Exmasonite
November 2, 2007, 01:47 PM
wait... how accurate is that cylinder bore going to be?

i mean, i've got a 20" cylinder bore barrel w/ the bead site right now. it has the screw holes on the tope of the receiver for adding scope rings.

thanks!

foghornl
November 2, 2007, 03:52 PM
Mine will drop slugs it likes into almost touching holes at 50Yds.

18-1/2" cylinder bore bead using PMC or Brenneke "KO" slugs. Rem "Sluggers" ain't worth a Hoot in Hades in MY gun, but Your Mileage Will Vary.

Buy a box of as many brands as you can find. One or 2 of those will give much better results than the others. When you find that brand, go buy a whole messa them, preferably from ther same "lot" of ammo.

That's how I ended up with 250 of the PMC slugs...they worked very well, so i bought all of them (from the same lot) that my local Gander Mountain had on the shelf.

Exmasonite
November 2, 2007, 10:54 PM
foghorn-

hmm... thanks for the info. i may just try to get a scope on my current gun given that it's a 20" cylinder bore already and take your advice to do some checking out with ammo.

thanks!

Exmasonite
November 4, 2007, 12:32 PM
so, just to make sure i have this:

There is NO rifled barrel for the mossberg 500 12 ga 8 shot model?

Thanks!

thebaldguy
November 4, 2007, 11:10 PM
I looked for a spare rifled barrel for slugs, but all I was able to find was a smoothbore with rifle sights. I'm guessing that will work pretty good to 75 yards. Try different slugs/buckshot until you find what works best. Sometimes cheaper is better.

I noticed that the newer sabot style slugs for rifled barrels are 2-3 times more expensive than the old style Foster slug for a smoothbore barrel. I think they may be more accurate, but I'm not sure if they are 2-3 times more accurate.

mnrivrat
November 5, 2007, 02:56 AM
Or - Buy the magazine tube & spring for the 6 shot gun, and change the magazine tube along with putting on a rifled barrel .

Dave McCracken
November 5, 2007, 10:18 AM
Mossies are common and not expensive. Get a slug gun for not much more than the parts you'd need to convert and enjoy....

If you enjoyed reading about "Slug Barrel for my 8 shot Mossy 500" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!