difference in M16 front sight versus AR type

PDA

brentn
November 2, 2007, 04:56 PM
Was checking the armalite website and noticed that their LE model has an
M16 front post sight, where if you read the other models they all have "a2 front sight assembly"

Is there a difference?

I wasn't aware of any..

If you enjoyed reading about "difference in M16 front sight versus AR type" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Special_K
November 2, 2007, 05:03 PM
The only difference I can think of is that the post size may be a little different. I think how it works is that a smaller aperture on the back and a smaller sight post on front allow for greater accuracy?

Perhaps I'm wrong, someone please correct me if I am!

aloharover
November 2, 2007, 05:08 PM
There is a difference between the M16/M16A1 and the M16A2.

Its been a long, long time but I think the older sight had 5 clicks per turn (might have been 6) and was round while the A2 is four clicks and square. The difference was due to the change in ammunition and bbl twist. both of which effect ballistics - to -sight geometry.

Bartholomew Roberts
November 2, 2007, 05:08 PM
The only differences I am aware of is the difference between:

1. A1 front sight post (round, moves impact less) and A2 front sight post (square, moves impact more per adjustment)

2. M16 front sight base and F-marked M4 or Flattop front sight base. The M4 FSB is slightly taller to accomodate the different sight geometry for the shorter M4 sight radius. You can also just use a taller sight post on an M16 FSB (which is what I did).

DMK
November 2, 2007, 05:09 PM
I don't think there is any difference. They probably are just using different nomenclature to make it sound more tactical.

The only differences I know of are the early M16/Colt SP1 sight post is round and the M4/M16A4 sight block is taller.

EDIT: Well, everyone beat me to that one while I fat fingered my KB.

Onmilo
November 3, 2007, 02:30 PM
The way things read, it is implied that they are using a round post front sight on the LE Models and a square post front on the standard rifles.

Armalite also uses a rear sight apeture with two small diameter apetures that they call a 'match' rear sight.
You have to specifically request a mil-spec large/small apeture rear sight when you order a standard model and they are probably using this mil-spec type of rear sight on the LE models too.

If you enjoyed reading about "difference in M16 front sight versus AR type" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!