Star Firestar M40 Extractor Fixed...Range Report

PDA

November
July 15, 2003, 10:31 PM
Last month I picked up a used Firestar M40 (.40 S&W) with five extra mags (three of which were the factory seven round model) and didn't notice until I got it home to clean it that the hook of the extractor was broken off. Then I did some research and discovered that new Firestar extractors are no longer available. I mean nowhwere. I got the name of Mike at M&M Gunsmithing in Alexandria, VA here on the boards and gave him a call. For $50 he said he would fabricate a new hook for the extractor and heat-treat it at the same time to better-than-factory specs. I ordered a new firing pin at the same time and sent the barrel, slide, and extractor assembly to him. I got it back a week and a half later and am very pleased with the work Mike did. It looks like a new extractor and I think he even repainted the loaded chamber indicator divot on the top of the extractor. I recommend him to anyone needing this service. As for the Firestar, well it doesn't seem to like the flat-nosed FMJs that I feed it. They are hanging up on the feed ramp (which has been polished very well). I'm trying to find a brand of ammo that has regular round-nose FMJs in .40S&W. If anyone knows a brand, I'm all ears. Accuracy wasn't great either, but It may have been me. I was mostly testing for function. Still, I like the features of the Firestar (single-action trigger, ability to rack the slide with the safety on, all-steel construction, feel in the hand), and will continue to look for ammo that it likes. Maybe JHPs would be a better choice?

If you enjoyed reading about "Star Firestar M40 Extractor Fixed...Range Report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "Star Firestar M40 Extractor Fixed...Range Report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!