Daewoo DP-51 Opinions

PDA

bad_dad_brad
January 9, 2003, 11:26 PM
I am a fan of 9mm pistols, and my dealer has a used in VG condition Daewoo DP-51, which is a Korean made compact 13 round 9mm pistol that operates pretty much like a CZ-75. It points very well, has a decent trigger, and seems well made. It feels good in my hand, very good.

My dealer wants $300 for it.

Any of you folks have a Daewoo like this, and if you do, is $300 a good price for a used one in very good condition?

If you enjoyed reading about "Daewoo DP-51 Opinions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Handy
January 9, 2003, 11:56 PM
I think you can buy them new for less. Check SOG, Century, KY, CDNN etc. I think at least one of them had a better bargain.

Pretty neat gun. Well liked by everyone I've met who got one. Takes S&W mags.

slh02
January 10, 2003, 12:15 AM
I have only positive things to say about the DP-51 after putting about 120 rounds through my friends. I had no failures of any kind and the sucker felt real good in my hands. I can not comment on the accuracy (because im not that great with any handgun) but my friend was hitting every can at a distance of 25ft or so. The only thing that I found wrong with the DP-51 were the sights, but that is probably because I am so used to my p99. I would say to go with one, but as Handy said, you should probably be able to find it at a better price if you shop around.

makarov
January 10, 2003, 01:27 AM
My local dealer has one for $329 with two hi-caps. I know Century International still lists them on their website. I don't know what their pricing is though. By the time you add shipping and an FFL transfer fee the $300 your dealer is asking may not be too bad. Check with CIA though. Do a search on thefiringline and there were some posts about an early batch having accuracy problems and newer ones being quite good. I had recently looked into them as well after handling the one here. The tri-action trigger is kind of neat, but I'm not sure I would really use it. They are supposed to be very reliable and Gunparts still has parts for them unlike the DR-200 rifle which parts are hard to find.

WESHOOT2
January 10, 2003, 06:25 AM
Suggest better $300 choice: Ruger, S&W, CZ, EAA, anything.........

May have some parts available, but not the ones that break........
Decent gun, no US support.

New_comer
January 10, 2003, 07:28 AM
A good friend of mine has one, and wouldn't part with it.

Though a potential issue would be for parts and service support...

Better check these out first before plunging your money into one. ;)

PCRCCW
January 10, 2003, 09:17 AM
Question....why not US support?. Century arms is an importer/distributor for them...they fix em I think......

As far as the gun..they are a real sleeper...much like CZ.
The triple actioin trigger is actually very cool and amazing....
Ive shot one that was very accurate and never burped or hiccupped at all.

I think the name "DAEWOO" makes people think of the cars..that pretty much sucked for the US market....I know Daewoo makes some of the best heavy equipment in the world...BIG MINING stuff....So the company does build quality equipment.....

The guns are very much worth looking at....on the most underrated list if there ever was one...... :D

Shoot well

railroader
January 10, 2003, 11:17 AM
As for Century Arms and parts I would call them. Years ago I had an FM hipower from them and asked them about a warranty and parts and they told me 30 days warranty and they didn't carry parts. Things could be different now but I always thought they just imported the guns. Mark

Handy
January 10, 2003, 12:33 PM
Forgot to mention that this is the ROK service pistol (Daewoo makes the rifle, too).

See the thread below about the FN HP SAS system. The Daewoo is using the FN licensed system.

Tropical Z
January 10, 2003, 02:39 PM
CIA has them new for $249.99,so you could get one for about $300.00 in hand.I want one to take to the range in my KIA!:neener:

Walt Sherrill
January 10, 2003, 02:43 PM
I've got a DP-51 in the gun safe that I play with every now and then.

As someone else mentioned, parts and service may be a problem, but most of the ones I've heard about have been very durable and reliable.

Some advantages not often mentioned:

1) You can use S&W Model 59 mags. Inexpensive hi-caps. (There's a little gap at the bottom of the grip.) (The one I traded for came with 4 Mec-Gar 16 rounders and one factory 13 rounder.)

2) Tri-action. 1) cocked and locked, 2) hammer down, 3) cocked with hammer down. This last option gives you a strang-feeling, but very light DA first shot that is, really, a SA shot.

One of my shooting buddies shots mine better than I dol. He can shoot almost-one-hole groups with it at 25'.

Mine has been shot a lot and is reliable and accurate. Looks like a cross between a SIG and an small Third Generation S&W. Feels a lot like a SIG.

Good guns. I've had chances to sell or trade mine, and I reconsider it frequently (I shoot mostly CZs), but like it well enough that I don't rush into a sale/trade.

Onapar
January 24, 2008, 10:20 AM
I have a DP 51 and it is every bit as good as my beretta,ruger,and all the rest. A real fine gun.

JHansenAK47
January 24, 2008, 02:51 PM
My father has had a DP51 since before the 94 AWB. Still going strong and wouldn't even think of calling it a bad pistol.

Mad Magyar
January 24, 2008, 02:58 PM
Nice pistol.....BG's call it the Korean NiteMare!:D
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q148/veritas2369/ConcealedDaewoo9mm002.jpg

SRT1
January 24, 2008, 03:26 PM
Had one years ago and it was a great little shooter. Sorry I ever got rid of it.

Moonclip
January 26, 2008, 06:31 AM
Got one for $250 with no mag last year(I'm in CA) Like it better than my Ruger P series guns. Amazingly I don't really like the tri action, hard for me to get used to. A Korean guy was there when I picked up the gun, he was very unhappy he didn't see it first!

Firepower!
January 26, 2008, 11:10 AM
I personally think the "fast action" Daewoo introduced in Dp51 is neat. However, I have had mix reviews from various people who have owned and used this particular handgun- ranging from good to poor, but not excellant niether very poor.

dog repellant
September 13, 2010, 06:13 AM
I never heard of Daewoo pistols before today. I saw them on a website that sells holsters.
http://www.holsterss.com/servlet/the-39/holster%2C-holsters%2C-gun-holsters/Detail
Florida gun dealer has them http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FG&Product_Code=432&Category_Code=FIREARMS+H+D

I can't figure out how the "tri-action" is supposed to work. Sounds interesting though. All my stuff is DAO, but I guess if you are tired of DA/SA guns, this might have a new and novel function for you.

If I understand right, there is NO de-cocking action, only a strange function that allows the hammer to be pushed forward (to prevent snags? To use with belly band holsters? Why?)

:confused:

I cannot find it now, but I was interested in a small Chinese pistol that was cocked by pressing part of the trigger guard rearward (sounds counter-intuitive, and kind of chinky, but maybe it works good with gloves on). Does anyone know what brand or model pistol this describes? Please PM. Thanks.

usp9
September 13, 2010, 09:36 AM
Tri-Action is a trigger that allows you to;

Shoot as a normal DA/SA.
OR
From the Hammer cocked postion, you can push the hammer forward, the trigger then goes to it's DA position, but instead of a heavy DA trigger pull, the hammer is first recocked by a very easy and light trigger pull...then a normal SA trigger pull will fire the pistol... two distinct stages to the trigger pull.

The safety does not decock, therefore you can carry;
Uncocked (DA), and locked
Cocked and locked
Tri-action (hammer forward) and locked.

Makes for a very safe yet fast and easy, lightweight and thus accurate, shot from the hammer down position.

Editorial comment... Daewoo makes some fine guns. I like them.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Daewoo/buckanddaewoo005.jpg

Jim Watson
September 13, 2010, 10:03 AM
Digging up an old one, eh?

The Daewoo DP51 "triple action" can be shot three ways.
Single action - Rack the slide and start shooting. Also for successive shots after the first DA or FA shot.
Double action - The gun has no mechanical decocker but the hammer can be lowered by hand for a DA first shot like the CZ75.
Fast action - Push the cocked hammer forward and it will lay down but the mainspring will remain compressed. Gun will fire with a long but light pull, often lighter in pounds than the SA.

I understand that the Daewoo will feed from S&W M59 magazines. The floorplate does not seat flush but that is cosmetic, apparently the feed lips and catch notch are the same.

I do not know what the 2010 parts situation is. I have seen one being shot this year.

The Communist Chinese pistol you are thinking of is the Norinco M-77B. It can be cocked by pulling the front of the trigger guard like the old Lignose Einhand. It has gas delay blowback like an H&K P7.
http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/PRC-M-77B.shtm

GLOOB
September 13, 2010, 09:30 PM
Fast action - Push the cocked hammer forward and it will lay down but the mainspring will remain compressed. Gun will fire with a long but light pull, often lighter in pounds than the SA.
This isn't the case. The first part of the Tri-Action pull flings the hammer back. Then after that, you get the normal SA pull. It's not lighter. It's exactly the same. In fact, if you back off a shot after the hammer flings back, the gun is now in the same state as if cocked for SA. The hammer remains cocked and the trigger returns to the normal SA position.

Also, you can manually recock... errr, reposition the hammer to change from the Tri-Action state back to SA, and the trigger moves back to SA position.

If I understand right, there is NO de-cocking action, only a strange function that allows the hammer to be pushed forward (to prevent snags? To use with belly band holsters? Why?)

AFAIC, the tri-action pull is similar to a DA pull, except it's lighter and it "stacks" at the end, where it breaks just like the SA shot (with the very short reach and at a relatively heavy 8 lbs or so).The normal DA pull is almost just as light, but the break point is a farther reach. So the main advantages are having a "DA pull" that's consistent with the following SA shots, and the shorter reach* needed to break the trigger compared to a traditional DA pull. I personally think the tri-action mode trigger pull is long and heavy enough on my example to carry unlocked, btw. But for that matter, it's probably safe to carry fully cocked and unlocked - which isn't a screaming endorsement of the SA pull weight! :)

Also, you can cover the hammer while holstering and make use of holsters with conventional retaining straps that lock under the hammer spur, even while cocked.

*This short trigger reach is what sorta ruins the fun for me. Even though it's a double-stack with a pretty meaty grip, the trigger reach is way too short for my taste.

millertyme
September 14, 2010, 08:27 PM
Suggest better $300 choice: Ruger, S&W, CZ, EAA, anything

You must be talking about a CZ-82. I don't know of too many other CZ's floating around for $300. BTW, $399 is not $300. You can't get a Kadet kit for much less than $300.

Snowdog
September 14, 2010, 11:08 PM
There may have been something available at that price 7 years ago, when WESHOOT2 wrote that.

Personally, I wouldn't mind owning a Daewoo... or a Kia if the price was right.

mrbillinny
September 24, 2010, 11:38 AM
I bought a daewoo DP51 just last month for really cheap because it needed parts. Had a tough time locating what I needed, but found them all at bamatraders.com. Was now well worth the $150 for the gun after it was put back together.
Mr Bill

Stasher1
September 24, 2010, 12:03 PM
You must be talking about a CZ-82. I don't know of too many other CZ's floating around for $300. BTW, $399 is not $300. You can't get a Kadet kit for much less than $300.

There may have been something available at that price 7 years ago, when WESHOOT2 wrote that.

Yup. I owned a 40P, 40B, and P01 around '04 and none of them cost me more than $300. The first two were bought new for $299 and the P01 was picked up lightly used at a pawn shop for $275...but that was back before the general public knew what they were.

At those prices they were an excellent value. At their current pricing...eh, not so much.

Mad Magyar
September 24, 2010, 12:09 PM
but found them all at bamatraders.com
Bill, real good heads-up on parts.....I've owned both the 9mm & 40 and had to scrounge around and used Numrich when they had a better stock.
Enjoy the "tri-action". :)

baccusboy
September 25, 2010, 01:02 AM
I'm American, and have lived in South Korea for over 8 years.

I have not owned one of these pistols, but as far as South Korean manufacture of said products, I'd like to add the following honest food for thought:

Every South Korean male (with a small percentage of allowed exceptions, of course) is required to serve in the military for about 2 1/2 years. Knowing this, keep it in mind that it's likely the lions share of people involved in the manufacturing process of these pistols likely trained on these very models. It's a good bet that they knew them back-to-front, and fired these very models BEFORE taking a job at the factory where they are produced.

Also, being that most were soldiers themselves, one can imagine the level of pride in providing a quality-manufactured piece that their own countrymen (including their children) will have to use to put their lives on the line one day.

There are a lot of things about South Korean products/work ethics in the early days of an item's manufacturing process that I could find fault with. For example, it's cultural for them to begin a new project without solid planning in order to "finish fast." They like to "fix problems along the way." Also, as you'll notice with many of their cars, they tend to copy the designs of BMW, Mercedes, and other top-rung manufacturers rather than innovating so much themselves. Generally, however, once Koreans have a product "dialed-in", they make it very well.

I'll bet these are some very solid firearms, provided they've been on the market a few years, and the bugs have been worked-out. It seems that with these models, this would be the obvious case.

westtx28
September 25, 2010, 05:23 PM
I was trying to explain the Tri-Action to somone a while back and made this little video to show how it worked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oAmnZzLcuY

Mad Magyar
September 25, 2010, 05:29 PM
westtx28, good video. The selling point for me is to have a c-n-l with the hammer down and having the 1st and subsequent shots in SA....

westtx28
September 25, 2010, 06:55 PM
The selling point for me is to have a c-n-l with the hammer down and having the 1st and subsequent shots in SA....
Yeah, that's what I really like about it as well. It almost feels like you're cheating.

gbball98
October 11, 2010, 05:11 PM
A couple of months ago my LGS had a used Daewoo DP-51 in the display for $250. I looked the gun over and liked what I saw but I had never heard of the Daewoo pistol before so I went home and looked it up. After reading all the reviews I decided that I would give it a try so two days later I went back to the shop and it was gone.

Today I went to check on the latest trade in's and the Daewoo was back so I asked the owner if this was the same pistol and he said yes that the guy that bought it traded it for a 380 for concealed carry. Soooo I did a little horse tradin and brought it home. After a good cleaning I took it to the back yard and WOW I ran a mix of 50 rounds of fmj and hollow points through it with out a hiccup. This is a great pistol and I love the tri-action.

mrbillinny
March 28, 2012, 10:07 AM
I just noticed Ebay now allows gun parts and a lot of daewoo parts there now also.

AntiSpin
March 28, 2012, 07:34 PM
After decades of carrying -- and shooting -- the 1911, I just can't get used to anything on which the movement of the safety is "backward."

That deprives me of the fun and satisfaction of trying out and using lots of fine firearms, as the DP-51 would seem to be, but c'est la vie. (sigh)

Sam Cade
March 28, 2012, 08:00 PM
ARISE MY ZOMBIE MINIONS!

This thread is from January of 2003.

Walt Sherrill
March 28, 2012, 08:32 PM
Am I not remembering correctly? I thought the DP-51 safety was like most safeties (and you just press down/forward to turn it off)... I don't remember anything awkward, like the S&W 3rd generation safeties...

I like the hammer down and NO safety option, which nobody has mentioned. That variant takes a light but lengthy trigger press or movement to get the hammer to flip back to the cocked position -- and an additional press of the trigger to fire. (In that respect, the hammer-down cocked position isn't all that different than many guns starting from hammer down. You can do it all in one step, but its also easy to "stage" the trigger.) It works the same if you use the safety, and arguably a bit safer, too.

The DP-51 I had was very accurate. I keep thinking I should find another. I also had a DH-40 which was ok, but I preferred the 9mm version.

dcarch
March 28, 2012, 11:36 PM
ZOMBIE THREAD! Quick, someone shoot it in the head! :D

Sam Cade
March 28, 2012, 11:42 PM
I can't! My Z-Max is on backorder!

GLOOB
March 29, 2012, 01:17 AM
I bought a well-used DP-51. So I know what the score is, in terms of durability.

The problem I have with the DP-51 is the little spring that pushes the slide lock is
1. tiny
2. captive in the frame, and working at an odd angle
3. capped with a hardened plunger that eventually burrows an indent into the slidestop.

So eventually, the slidelock will stop working reliably on this gun.

Also, the trigger return spring only has a few, very tight/tiny coils to it. I have no idea how you could expect it to work more than a few thousand rounds on a DA pistol with a long pull. Mine didn't. It broke after a few hundred. And I'm sure that wasn't the first spring the gun had been through. This is the cheesiest trigger return spring I've ever seen in a pistol.

The safety detents are also not very positive. The safety really bugged me on this gun. Kinda cheezy and not positive at all, when you set it. Clicked off ok, though.

I also couldn't get used to the trigger break. The trigger reach is short to begin with. Then you have to pull the trigger all the way till it practically touches the frame. If I tried to use the pad of my finger, I literally ran out of pull before the trigger broke. I had to either use the nook between the first two pads of my finger (in which case, the trigger pinched the skin behind my first knuckle before it broke, threatening to prevent the gun from firing, at all), or I had to bend my trigger finger into a U-shape, with my fingertip pointing straight back against the trigger.

I was sure I'd keep this gun just because it's unique. And I don't really sell guns. I just buy them. I guess there's a first time for everything. That one went to a happy new owner with small hands.

Got_Lead?
March 29, 2012, 02:33 AM
I was very impressed with the one I had, relatively small, well balanced in the hand, pretty accurate, and it never missed a beat, and fed all kinds of boolit shapes. It was well designed and built. I sold it to a friend who really really wanted it. I miss it.

Trebor
March 29, 2012, 08:20 AM
Zombie thread.

For anyone reading now (and after 2012) I wouldn't buy an "orphan" pistol like the Daewoo due to lack of ongoing factory support and parts availability issues.

I mean, if you just want one for the novelty factor, and don't care if it breaks and you can't find parts, that's one thing. But, for a "serious" pistol that you'd like to repair if it breaks, I'd avoid it.

el Godfather
March 30, 2012, 11:56 AM
For $300 it is a great gun. How many other fast action pistol are out there? Good collection item for sake of its trigger.

PabloJ
March 30, 2012, 12:23 PM
From what I have seen locally prices are about the same as metal S&W pistols for which parts are made of "obtainium" so....:uhoh: I'm not picking on guns made by famous bulldozer/car manufacturer I do not look at SIG pistols either because most second-hand S&Ws can be had for substantially less money.

Walking Dead
March 31, 2012, 05:38 PM
ARISE MY ZOMBIE MINIONS!

This thread is from January of 2003.
And daewoo still ain't a household name. I'd pass.

Walt Sherrill
March 31, 2012, 08:28 PM

Depends on where your house is located...

Steyr and Walther aren't really household names, either, here in the U.S.

I've had a couple of DaeWoos (DP-51s, DH-40), played with them for a while, and then sold them. Got good service out of them, and those who bought them from me did, too -- I haven't had anyone trying to get me to buy one back from them. (I did have one guy try to buy back the DH-40 I bought from him.)

I enjoyed working with and shooting the DaeWoos more than I did working with and shooting a couple of S&W 4006s, and a 4043 -- all bought and sold for about the same dollars (each) as the DaeWoo.

If I had to have just ONE gun, it probably wouldn't be a DP-51. But if I just wanted something to play with, a DaeWoo makes as much sense as a Tokarev or a CZ-52, and ammo is easier to find for the DaeWoo. You can also get SOME parts from Century Arms, and some on EBAY.

4thPointOfContact
March 31, 2012, 10:14 PM
Zombie? I'll give you zombie.
My AR-100 (aka Korean service rifle K2) which I purchased new thirty years ago is still going strong with about 200 rounds a month passing through it. I think I might have even cleaned it once... hard to be sure.

chicharrones
March 31, 2012, 10:27 PM
This is the most awesome zombie thread I've ever seen.

2003, then 2008, then 2010, and so far 2012!

Sheer zombie coolness. http://www.gomotes.com/emoticon/zombiechase.gif

Devonai
March 30, 2014, 02:51 PM
I'm happy to continue the zombie goodness.

My LGS has one for $275, but I don't know how many mags, if any, there are with it. I'll have to check next time I'm down there, if it's still available.

MDI_Weapon
April 1, 2014, 07:34 AM

And that helps keep the price down on the DR-200s and DR-300s that pop up at gun shows or auction sites now and then. :)

As such I must say:
Don't buy Daewoos...they won't stop zombies!! In fact, they seem to encourage zombies.

Zombie? I'll give you zombie.
My AR-100 (aka Korean service rifle K2) which I purchased new thirty years ago is still going strong with about 200 rounds a month passing through it. I think I might have even cleaned it once... hard to be sure.

Shhhhhh!!! You will drive up prices in the Woo market with that kind of talk.

By the way, any mods to that AR100? I don't see other Woos that often anymore thanks to the import ban.

PabloJ
April 1, 2014, 09:04 AM
New South Korean commercial imports are $500+. I would rather have PD-51 then CZ 82/83, Makarov, Tokarev,....... though I would not pick one over used gen III S&W or a Ruger. Not being chambered for something like 9x18, 7,62x25 that is only going to be more expensive to shoot helps a whole lot.

PabloJ
April 1, 2014, 09:20 AM
PS. If I was to pick affordable second-hand semi-auto it would probably be Taurus Pt-92.

sarge83
April 1, 2014, 09:53 AM
I own the .40 caliber version and it is a fine accurate weapon. The only downsides are parts and mags. They are expensive and hard to find. Had a small part issue and a buddy of mine who works on guns made it for me and installed it.

I think I paid $260 for mine years ago. I do think some S&W auto mags work in the 9mm version.

Quiet
April 1, 2014, 11:18 AM
Last year, Lionheart Industries (http://www.lionheartindustries.com/) started importing versions of the Daewoo K-5 for the USA market.

9x19mm LH9
9x19mm LH9-MKII
9x19mm LH9N
9x19mm LH9N-MKII
9x19mm LH9NC

http://www.sureshotsmagazine.com/uploads/1/6/9/8/16982680/1383536859.jpg

LeftyTSGC
April 1, 2014, 11:25 AM
It looks alot like a modern version of my STAR 30M. Breaksdown the same, just has the third action capability. The STAR is a DA/SA handgun.:eek:

Quiet
April 3, 2014, 11:18 AM
It looks alot like a modern version of my STAR 30M. Breaksdown the same, just has the third action capability. The STAR is a DA/SA handgun.
The Daewoo K-5 has more in common with the S&W Model 459 than with the STAR 30M.

Walt Sherrill
April 3, 2014, 09:30 PM
The Daewoo K-5 has more in common with the S&W Model 459 than with the STAR 30M...

I started to respond and say the same thing. I actually liked my DaeWoo BETTER than the Third Generation S&Ws I've owned. I've had two 9mms, and a .40; they LOOKED like a S&W gun, but felt as though they were built by SIG. It was an impressive combination.

An earlier responder noted some eccentricities of the design, and difficulty getting parts. I've not had a bad experience, but never shot one LONG ENOUGH to know if HIS problems were common. With Lionheart importing new guns, parts issues might be less of a concern.

I'd be sorely tempted by the new guns, if the prices are reasonable.

Giterboosted
June 23, 2014, 08:38 PM
I'll keep it goin here, I found one in my local pawn shop for about 300, don't know how many mags with it but I'll make do. I'm thinking about trading my kahr cm40 for it, it's just a bit on the rough side at the range. But does anyone think this is a fair trade? I mean I know the monetary values are off in their favor but quality and enjoyability is it a fair trade?

Walt Sherrill
June 23, 2014, 09:04 PM
If it's "just a bit on the rough side at the range" --no. $300-$350 seems to be the going price for the older ones, and for that price, it should be in pretty good shape, be a good shooting gun, and generally a very accurate one. You'll probably take a beating on the CM40.

If you're wanting to get rid of your CM40, you might do better selling it. Then wait until you can buy a DaeWoo that's in better shape.

Giterboosted
June 23, 2014, 11:46 PM
Not to get too sidetracked but the recoil on that little guy is comparable to my bfr in .500 mag.

And around where I am, there's not too many daewoos that come around, actually it's the first pistol I've seen period

Walt Sherrill
June 24, 2014, 08:42 AM
Sounds as though you REALLY want to get rid of the Kahr.

If the DaeWoo seems in reasonable shape, do it -- and forget about any $$ difference. Those little guns can be a real pain to use.

If you enjoyed reading about "Daewoo DP-51 Opinions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!