Why didn't they listen to....

PDA

eclancy
November 3, 2007, 11:30 AM
Gentlemen,
...Mr. Garand when testing was going on with the cleaning rod for the M1 Garand Rifle ? What did he want done, any ideas ?

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c21/eclancy/clarod1.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c21/eclancy/Remindernowa.jpg

Thanks again for your input
Clancy

If you enjoyed reading about "Why didn't they listen to...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jpwilly
November 3, 2007, 12:38 PM
He probably wanted a bore snake!

.45Guy
November 3, 2007, 01:24 PM
A pull through brush and jag?

Chipperman
November 3, 2007, 01:26 PM
I think jpwilly is on the right track.

I'll bet he wanted a rod that would allow the jag to be pulled out of the bore rather than pushed down into it.

Ash
November 3, 2007, 10:45 PM
That, or he wanted brass/bronze bushings about each joint to prevent steel-on-steel.

Ash

Eightball
November 4, 2007, 02:42 AM
A pull mechanism would be my bet, given the proximity of the gas vent on the barrel to the muzzle, he probably did not want it scratched.

Or, he wanted something that fit on the sling to the rifle? I'm not quite sure I get the direction you're coming from with this. That, and it's 2:40AM for me, so....

eclancy
November 4, 2007, 11:21 AM
Gentlemen,
Mr Garand wanted the handle made of wood.
Thanks again
Clancy

Ash
November 4, 2007, 12:37 PM
THen the reason they didn't listen to him is because wood would have broken easier in the field.

Ash

Rifleman 173
November 19, 2007, 08:36 PM
Depending on where you were, some troops were issued bore snake type cleaning gear instead of metal rods. The actual cleaning gear was a little bit different than present day bore snakes in that there was a device at the end which let you run a cotton swab down the bore too or after the cleaning brush was done. This type of cleaning gear was particularly issued at the beginning of the war because it could be very quickly manufactured.

7mmsavage
November 20, 2007, 05:57 AM
I am sure the DOD didn't want soldiers to ruin their rifles, but maybe the were thinking more about a guaranteed method of cleaning and removing bore obstructions. The military didn't look at their Garands like we do, caring for those rifles as something to shoot for fun or competition and one day give to our children. They probably knew it wasn't the best as far as accuracy but they needed to keep rifles shooting, and if groups opened up a few inches, replace the barrel or the whole rifle. Or keep shooting and add those misplaced rounds to all the other bullets flying around.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why didn't they listen to...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!