What is legal way to store any weapon

PDA

efeng9622
November 3, 2007, 01:05 PM
I like to know what is legal way to store any weapon. I checked Virginia gun law and didnít find that. I think there are at least two kind of methods to store the weapon.
(1) I can just put the weapon on a place , unload it and lock it or put it on a box ( plastic or metals)and lock the box.
(2) I can buy a safety box to store the weapon.
I think the method (1) is not safe enough because someone can take my weapon very easily if he come to my house to steal or rob. Will I face any legal problem if my weapon is stolen or robbed under this condition?
Method (2) is pretty safe only if the safety box is big and heavy enough, . But right now I am not able to buy a big safety box and put it on m small house.
I hope someone can give to me some advices.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "What is legal way to store any weapon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
General Geoff
November 3, 2007, 01:29 PM
The only way you'd be legally liable for a weapon stolen from inside your house is if you put up a big sign saying "FREE GUNS" and left your door unlocked.

SDC
November 3, 2007, 02:42 PM
There can be a big difference between what is "legal" and what is "safe and responsible"; my choice (as well as the law where I am) is that any gun which I am not in the process of using will be unloaded and locked up, so that someone who doesn't know what they're doing doesn't end up stealing it or hurting themselves or someone else with it. If the gun you're thinking of is too big to put inside a lockbox, you can always chain it to an eyebolt screwed into a wall stud, or take the bolt out and put the bolt in a safe place.

Werewolf
November 3, 2007, 02:47 PM
Weapons storage requirements are a function of your state's laws.

Can't speak to VA but in OK if the weapon is in your home you can store it anyway you want, leave it layin' around, what ever. If you are transporting it in a vehicle it must be in a place inaccessible to the driver and passengers if it is a handgun (not sure about long guns) unless you have a CCW in which case it can be accessible (wouldn't be much good if it weren't - sometimes pols do get it right).

With kids, especially teenagers who tend to like showing off, a gun safe just makes good sense. In fact a gun safe should be a must with any age kid in your home. No kids, no safe if you don't mind having your guns possibly stolen.

svtruth
November 4, 2007, 09:55 AM
as the owner you are held harmless from the consequences of someone' use of your firearm if they committed a crime in obtaining it.

scout26
November 4, 2007, 02:02 PM
Let's see "weapons" storage.....

The kitchen knives are kept in the butcher block holder in the kitchen.
Baseball bats and golf clubs are in the garage.
Fireplace tools are (surprisingly) by the fireplace.
Various knick-knacks that can be used as blunt weapons in an emergency are throughout the house.
Cavalry Saber is in the closet.
MP Nightstick is under the bed.
Firearms are in the gun safe.

Ozarks
November 4, 2007, 02:57 PM
My first post!

Here in Arkansas' Ozarks it's quite common to keep a pistol or revolver in your car. I keep one in my door pocket (a BUG). Technically, you need a permit for this, but the local Sheriff department tends not to care. For long guns, there isn't much of any law, so one can keep a loaded long gun in your vehicle.

In your house, there are no rules. That is left (haha) to more "progressive" states.

efeng9622
November 5, 2007, 11:27 AM
Now I believe if I donít carry and put gun at home. I just need to unload and lock up it. There are no an exact law about storing for all states. But I will have more questions about carry and apply CCW.
Thanks!

Beatnik
November 5, 2007, 11:47 AM
Here's what I was able to come up with:

Pursuant to Virginia Code Annotated ß 18.2-56.2:

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to recklessly leave a loaded, unsecured firearm in such a manner as to endanger the life or limb of any child under the age of fourteen. Any person violating the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to authorize a child under the age of twelve to use a firearm except when the child is under the supervision of an adult. Any person violating this subsection shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. For purposes of this subsection, "adult" shall mean a parent, guardian, person standing in loco parentis to the child or a person twenty-one years or over who has the permission of the parent, guardian, or person standing in loco parentis to supervise the child in the use of a firearm.

"If any person sells, barters, gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, to any minor [under 18 years of age; see section 1-207] a handgun, having good cause to believe him to be a minor, such person shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony. This subsection shall not apply to any transfer made between family members or for the purpose of engaging in a sporting event or activity." Section 18.2-309.

I had heard this before, but this has the backing statutes listed.

I can't find anything about locking it up at home sans children, though.
I lock mine up anyway, because I have neighbor kids come over and clean the catbox when I'm out of town. It's just a good idea.
Edit: I don't have a safe yet, but they are tucked away - I also know the neighbor kids well, and their parents, and if they found my guns they'd be REALLY snooping around where they shouldn't be and that's enough to get them in BIG trouble with their mother!

However, remember that having a pistol locked in a container does you absolutely no good. ;)

Now, about CCW - THERE IS NO CCW IN VIRGINIA. There is a "Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun" - we tend to say "CHL" for "Concealed Handgun License". (I actually wish the permit said license instead, I don't like the commonwealth "permitting" me to exercise my constitutional rights.)

Carry is a big open question, I would actually become a member of VCDL immediately, if you're not, since their weekly mailers have updates on altercations and court cases across the commonwealth. Also check out opencarry.org - they have a lot of VA members.

I can tell you that the CHL application process is varied across the commonwealth. For instance, in some counties you need to go in person to the clerk of court, but here in Prince William County I was able to get the application notarized on my own time and mail everything in. Surprisingly, for a northern county, the entire process was pretty painless.

cyclist
November 5, 2007, 12:25 PM
I'm not a lawyer, so factor that in, and this is the internet, so factor that in as well.
In other words: ignore everything I type on the internet. ;)

It sounds as though you have two concerns, and for that I have two replies:

1. Legal as far a criminal prosecution of you.
2. Legal as far a civil legal action against you.

For #1, see above posts for what is legally required in your location.

For #2, consider what a jury will consider when someone else brings civil actions against you. This someone else could be the criminal him/herself, it could a further victim of the criminal, it could be a family member of a victim of the criminal.

When it comes to #2 I sometimes count the locks. Door locks and window locks help keep honest people honest and help keep those under 18 years old a little more honest, so those count as one lock level. A firearm safe, or gun safe, or locked closet help keep the honest people honest if your first locks fail or if the dog toy kept the door from closing all the way on your way to the store and the local newspaper delivery kid finds the door blown open by the wind and decides to enter your home to "see if you're okay" and to maybe look for a little booze for a party later on down by the river with his/her friends, this counts as lock level two. Trigger locks on firearms slow down the criminals who have just defeated one or two lock levels, or helps keep the honest people honest if you committed a boner hoser and left the safe/closet unlocked because you got a case of the trots and had to do an emergency run to the local drug store to get some diahreah (sp?) juice/pills and the dog toy got stuck in the front door again and the local kid comes wandering into your house and looks in your safe/closet thinking that' s where the wine and tequila are kept, this is lock level three. Your ammunition could be kept in it's own locking box separate or not to at least make the thief trying to load your firearms to either defeat another lock or use their own ammunition, lock level four (unless I lost count).

Now, picture that someone breaks into your house, kicks in your front door, pries open your gunsafe with a breaker bar and a crow bar like they saw done on youtube and then screwdriver pries your trigger locks off and hammers open your ammunition cabinet and then goes to shoot the neighbor with the noisey dog who kept them awake all week which indirectly caused them to loose their job due to falling asleep on the job. Neighbor's wife then sues you as a co-defendant in a wrongfull death lawsuit because they claim it was too easy for the murderer to gain access to your firearms. You counter with four lock levels that had to be defeated which make your storage more than reasonable and prudent to secure your firearms against illegal use.

When it comes down to personal liability, only you can decide how far you personally need to go to secure your own personal peace of mind. Some keep a rifle loaded hanging above the fireplace and figure the front door lock and mini Pin Pin dog are sufficient, others have so many levels of security it takes them a minimum of 15 minutes in each direction whenever they enter or leave their homes to secure their firearms and set their locks and alarms.

Out of sight, out of mind, reasonable and prudent, self secure. There's only so much stuff you can worry about before you have no time to enjoy life.

This is the internet, I had a few minutes to type a story, fictional or not, it's all just words until after the fact, then all that matters at that point is facts mixed with distortions of facts. Lock them up to a reasonable and prudent level when you're not home. Just my opinion.

UnTainted
November 5, 2007, 08:15 PM
You take it (all of them) down to the local citizen's weapons depot and have them lock it up and give it back to you only when they're satisfied with whatever licensing and registration you'll have to perform...

OH WAIT!

It was a nightmare. I was dreaming of what would happen if H.Clinton got elected... That was horrible, just awful.

stevereno1
November 5, 2007, 08:46 PM
In the great state of Georgia, You are responsible for YOUR OWN CHILDREN getting hold of your guns. there is no law adressing the storage of your guns that are a GOD-given right to own. I store mine in a safe for fear of the crackheads who may try to rob my single wide trailer with the mud flaps, but my G-27 stays cahmbered on my person, and rests on my milk crate night stand while i sleep away my troubles in the durand mobile home park.

Autolycus
November 5, 2007, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Ozarks: I couldn't pass this up!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first post!

Here in Arkansas' Ozarks it's quite common to keep a pistol or revolver in your car. I keep one in my door pocket (a BUG). Technically, you need a permit for this, but the local Sheriff department tends not to care. For long guns, there isn't much of any law, so one can keep a loaded long gun in your vehicle.

In your house, there are no rules. That is left (haha) to more "progressive" states. You have a permit of course?

If you enjoyed reading about "What is legal way to store any weapon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!