Should I get an M38?

PDA

Nolo
November 3, 2007, 01:18 PM
Well, I officially am part of the US militia today (I'm 17), so it's my duty to arm myself, no? I was wondering whether I should get a Mosin-Nagant M38 or M44 rifle from the local gun shop. Well, should I? Or should I hold out for a Garand?

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I get an M38?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mikee Loxxer
November 3, 2007, 01:20 PM
Ideally you should get the Garand which is much better rifle but will cost a lot more. Personally I like the M38 better than the M44 but the M44's tend to be in better condition (especially the barrel).

Hoppy590
November 3, 2007, 01:25 PM
get an M44 cheaper, better condition, un counter bored barrel

consider an SKS's intermediate power round, twice the round count, semi auto, and not much more green

lee n. field
November 3, 2007, 01:27 PM
You can get a Mosin for about a tenth what you can get a Garand for.

Get the Mosin.

Slugless
November 3, 2007, 01:27 PM
Happy Birthday, Nolo!

Age old question, what are you going to use it for?

I bought a 38 war vet just to have, makes a great decoration hanging from the ceiling.

If you can get a cherry Mosin, go for it. I still wish I had gotten a Finn back in the day but I'm not interested in a Russian shooter.

If you can't get a real nice one - well, do you have a .22lr yet? Shoot the heck outa that while saving for your Garand.

Heck, I saw your post on Swedes. Get 'em while you still can.

Shoot something! (firearm, not target)

jpwilly
November 3, 2007, 01:33 PM
Get the M38 or M44 and then get a Garand, M14, AR-15 etc etc... It doesn't end with the purchase of a rifle it merely begins. At your age I had an SKS. And personally if your open to other options the SKS is probably the best rifle to start with. Very little recoil decent power for deer etc and FUN to shoot.

Nolo
November 3, 2007, 01:35 PM
I want to shoot it, as well as to be able to say "I'm ready to defend my country, are you?" What does a cherry Mosin look like, exactly?
I don't have a .22 yet, but my dad does and he's pretty liberal with it.
And where would I get a Swede?

jpwilly
November 3, 2007, 01:51 PM
Well Nolo I have three Nagants and wouldn't carry any of them in to battle to defend my country my house etc. If I had to choose a bolt action it would be a Lee Enfield...probably the best bolt action battle rifle. Of course the next obvious choices for me would be one of my AR-15, an AK, a SKS or my recent aquisition at Romanian PSL. But a Nagant? Sure they once roamed the battlefields but they weren't the best rifle then and they still aren't. They are cheap so if that's what you want -that's what you'll get. An SKS on a budget is a far better rifle for "defending your country"!

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/100_0778.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/Enfield2BNo42BMK12B033.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/PSL008_sm.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/NorincoSKS006.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/ARBULL20-1.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/akmtactical.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/Picture008.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/101_0457.jpg

Nolo
November 3, 2007, 01:55 PM
Well Nolo I have three Nagants and wouldn't carry any of them in to battle to defend my country my house etc. If I had to choose a bolt action it would be a Lee Enfield...probably the best bolt action battle rifle. Of course the next obvious choices for me would be one of my AR-15, an AK or my recent aquisition at Romanian PSL. But a Nagant? Sure they once roamed the battlefields but they weren't the best rifle then and they still aren't. They are cheap so if that's what you want -that's what you'll get. An SKS on a budget is a far better rifle for "defending your country"!
You make an excellent point but I am a rifleman. I don't expect to get enough money for a Lee-Enfield (though I agree with you, they weren't used into the 50's for no reason), so I think a Mosin or SKS is what I'm gonna get. I really like the Mosin and my dad already has one, and they shoot really well. Plus, they just have character. And can go through most body armor. ;)

Slugless
November 3, 2007, 01:56 PM
A cherry Mosin would be one with a good bore, good crown, matching serial numbers & good stock. Looks good, shoots good.

My Swedes are like that with the exception of the cleaning rods whose numbers do not match. (as if it matters)

Oh, and I got my first Swede from a Houston Gun Show. The second one was mail ordered from SAMCO - $129 back in the day.

Nolo
November 3, 2007, 02:01 PM
How much does a cherry Mosin cost?
Is it just a selection thing?

Slugless
November 3, 2007, 02:06 PM
Mainly a selection thing although the good ones likely cost more.

Check out the MNs at the bottom of the link

http://www.samcoglobal.com/rifles.html

MOSIN-NAGANT M91/30 BENT BOLT - C & R Eligible
Russian manufactured improvements to the Basic M91. Original Mosin-Nagant M91/30 Bent Bolt with 4 holes or 2 holes/2 pin on receiver for Pu Scope and mount. Straight-line stock, 5 round magazine, with round receiver. Shorter Barrel, Tangent rear sight and protected front sight became standard WWII rifle. Non Matching # Bolt/Receiver.

Barrel length: 27.8"
Overall length: 48.5"

Very Good Condition.........$279.95 Special Select Condition....$299.95

The "Special Select" will be the "cherry" one. Hmmm. Maybe I should get one of these....

Some of the Special Selects may have matching bolt/receivers. You can always call and ask them if they'll hand select one for you.

BsChoy
November 3, 2007, 02:28 PM
Personally Nolo, I would splurdge on a Mauser design of some sort M98, M96, M38 or springfield....Great guns, accurate, dependable, and classic. If funds are short the M91/30 with the longer sight radius is my pick

rangerruck
November 3, 2007, 02:42 PM
a 38 is a fine choice, they are light , easy to take apart, easy to do a trigger job to lighten the pull, and one in good shape, or unfired is easy to come across, for about 100 bucks.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/vivi055.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/vivi054.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pmullineaux/vivi053.jpg
I highly suggest you get a Small size , slip on pad for the back, even thought I am a big dude, about 20 shots from this will put a kink in your winkies.

Vaarok
November 3, 2007, 06:45 PM
Getting started with an M-1 isn't a great idea. Ammo's spendy and the rifle costs a lot to buy. The Mosin's cheap and ammo's cheap, so you can enjoy it now, and lots.

Plus, mosins are good.

C-grunt
November 3, 2007, 06:51 PM
I love my M38 for the cheap ammo and the look on peoples faces the first time they fire it. LOL

Kalashnikov
November 3, 2007, 07:08 PM
Yes I got one and love it. It's my basic deer rifle.

esmith
November 3, 2007, 07:40 PM
Out of the two options you prosposed I say Garand. Garands are going to increase in price a lot faster than mosins will. Mosins aren't going anywhere. I say buy both, but garand first.

SpeedAKL
November 3, 2007, 10:08 PM
Mosins are good, cheap fun. You can get one for under $100 if you look around. They work reliably, they're reasonably accurate, and they make a titanic muzzle blast and fireball that's bound to get looks at the range. I'd get one and then save up for something nice like a Garand or AR.

KiltedClaymore
November 3, 2007, 10:37 PM
i would go with the mosin m-38. however, if i could add another choice, go with the Finnish M-39. all the fun of the m-38 but in tackdriver grade.

Mauserguy
November 4, 2007, 01:22 AM
You can help defend your country and community better with a Mosin-Nagant that you are practiced with than with some other rifle that you don't own because you can't afford it.

Pick out a nice M44, get some stripper clips for it as well as a tin of ammunition. Practice with it, become a good shooter, and be happy with it.

After purchasing the Mosin, save your pennies, and buy the Garand later, maybe in six months. The Mosin will serve you well.
Mauserguy

Mauserguy
November 4, 2007, 01:24 AM
Oh, by the way, if you get the Mosin, be sure to clean it well. A man will always take care of his guns.
Mauserguy

KrankyKraut
November 4, 2007, 12:32 PM
You'll have more fun w/ an SKS in the long run. Long shooting sessions with the Mosin quickly turn into work. If you don't have the money for the SKS and have to get a Mosin, I'd go with the M44 or M91/30. The M38 is mostly counter-bored. Also, the bayonet on the M44 is kinda fun. The M91 can be quite accurate and is nicely balanced.

Nolo
November 4, 2007, 06:14 PM
Okay, I think I've come to a fork. My total funds now have come to $160 (don't you love birthday money?), and I expect it to continue the rise for a little while. So, should I get an Enfield No.4 Mk.I* or a Mosin-Nagant M1938 Carbine? What are the prices for .303 British? Would I have to reload it to feed my Enfield? How does it compare to 7.62x54R? Which is a better rifle? So many questions...

wcwhitey
November 4, 2007, 07:45 PM
$160 will buy you a refurbed M44 and 300 rounds of light ball from Wideners or AIM. Buy it and have fun learning how to shoot. Keep saving while going to the range and research all the guns you are interested in. You won't do better in that price range.

Vaarok
November 4, 2007, 07:51 PM
.303 British costs far more than 7.62x54R, so I would be inclined to suggest the Mosin. Enfields are great rifles, though, so if you find the Enfield No. 4 or ShtMLE to fit you better, it's not a bad choice...

Cosmoline
November 4, 2007, 08:24 PM
The Mosin is a great rifle to learn with. Unless you take out the hacksaw and get creative there's no way to really hurt it. The Garand, OTOH, is a much more valuable firearm and you CAN hurt it by shooting the wrong kind of .30'06 out of it. It's also more complex than the Mosin.

Nolo
November 4, 2007, 09:33 PM
Okay, I think I'm gonna go with the '38.
I really like the Enfield, though.

Deer Hunter
November 4, 2007, 09:34 PM
If others have said, I'll simply reiterate. The M44s are in better shape than the M38s.

Nolo
November 4, 2007, 10:26 PM
Hmmm...
People have said to get an M44 over an M38. I really don't think I like the bayonet on the M44, though.
Maybe I'll just compete with my dad and get an 1891/30.
:neener:
Is Classicarms a good site to order off of? Either they're full of flim-flam or they've got some good stock. Not sure which. Anyone had dealings with them?

Deer Hunter
November 4, 2007, 10:40 PM
Classicarms is a great place to do business with. They also have brass strippers for the Mosins that work great, even though they are reproductions.

and you can take the bayonet off of the M44 if you really wanted to. But honestly, it comes in handy.

Nolo
November 4, 2007, 10:55 PM
Okay.
I'm not sure what I'll get, but it'll be a Mosin.
They also have a hand-select option for the M38s, do you think that would negate the poorer quality of those rifles?

Deer Hunter
November 4, 2007, 10:59 PM
Maybe. They also have hand-select M44s. If you want a truly accurate Mosin, go Finnish. But if you have your heart dead-set on a Mosin carbine without a bayonet... I still say the M44, then just take the bayonet off. It involves unscrewing it from the gun, I believe. I havn't messed with mine. I stick it in the ground when I'm sitting around the camp fire while I'm out in the woods.

Nolo
November 4, 2007, 11:02 PM
Does Classicarms have Finnish Mosins?

Deer Hunter
November 4, 2007, 11:23 PM
Nope. You'll have to look around a bit more. Plus they cost more. If you want a beat-around rifle, stick to the Russian surplus.

Nolo
November 4, 2007, 11:26 PM
Oh...
The Finns are pretty.
That's a gorgeous rifle.
Hmmm... and a tack-driver you say?
Well... I'll have to impress my father and save my pennies then (he's always getting on me about not saving, even though I do, I just get money in spurts).

KiltedClaymore
November 4, 2007, 11:33 PM
try J&G Sales in Prescott(pronounced: presskitt). if you dont find it there, either it doesnt exist or you dont need it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Should I get an M38?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!