Remington 597 vs. Ruger 10/22

PDA

Pheonix
July 16, 2003, 12:22 AM
I am curious what the pros and cons are of these two rifles? I am not a tinkerer (OK I am, but I will NOT with a .22) well maybe the trigger. I do not want to replace stocks or barrels on a new firearm. Period. Anyways I found a 597 syn. stock for $139 and a 10/22 wood stock $159. The guy at the gun shop had his opinions of the 597 compared to his 10/22.:rolleyes: I am very aware of the Rugers qualities but I know very little of the 597.

Please help!

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 597 vs. Ruger 10/22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Robert inOregon
July 16, 2003, 04:38 AM
Just get the flaming chicken brand and don't look back.

BusMaster007
July 16, 2003, 09:08 AM
Based on what you said about not wishing to change a lot on the rifle, the 597 is a full-size adult firearm ready to go.
The 10/22's stock is kinda short. I replaced it with a Hogue.

I have one of each of these .22's, and the Remington 597 is all 'stock', so to speak, while the Ruger 10/22 has been changed around to make it fit better and I put on some 'accessories'.

The 597 is the more accurate of the two.
I prefer the 597 by a slight margin.

cracked butt
July 16, 2003, 11:10 AM
I HAD a 597, but sold it not too long after I bought it. The accuracy was pretty good despite the heavy nonadjustable trigger. The rifle jammed on about every 5th shot:cuss: though I've heard Remington fixed this problem by using steel magazines in newer rifles, though I can't confirm it either way. The finish on the metalworkings was not as far as I could tell blueing, but looked more like a powdercoat and had a rough texture that really didn't appeal to me- it also showed signs of rusting in my gun cabinet despite efforts to prevent it- I've never had a firearm rust in my gun cabinet other than the 597. All in all, I'm not much impressed with the 597, the one I bought about 4 years ago was a crappy product and I took a loss on selling it, it would take a whole lot of convincing to get me to buy another Remington .22 again.

If I were to do things over, I would have spent the extra $20 and got the 10/22. Its a proven rifle that's been around for a long time and has alot of aftermarket parts and accessories.

dickwholliday
July 16, 2003, 12:26 PM
i sure like my 10-22T....i can shoot one hole 5 shot groups indoors with a scope and rest........i recently shot some of the Eley subsonics at 25 yards into one hole smaller than a #2 lead pencil......and accessories galore...anything you want is available.....if a spray my mags with silicone occasionally, reliability is 100%......DICK

Bottom Gun
July 16, 2003, 12:36 PM
A box stock 597 will outshoot the stock 10/22. It's a much better buy.

You'll have to replace the barrel and trigger in the 10/22 to make a shooter out of it. That's what I had to do with mine. You'll end up with a $350-500 .22 rifle by the time you're finished.
There are, however, more after market accessories made for the 10/22 then for the Remington.

I'd choose the Remington any day.

Tropical Z
July 16, 2003, 12:41 PM
I own a two year old 597 that has been flawless from round one using mostly remingtons golden bullet bulk pack.Mine has NO rust and is easily the most accurate .22lr ive shot.I havent tried to baby it and i believe its a much better rifle than a 10/22.This has been proven shooting them back to back.I remember reading a magazine review about a year ago and the author had talked at some length with remington engineers about their goals for the 597 when it was being developed.They clearly stated that they wanted the 597 to be more accurate,better built,and more durable than a 10/22.The article was very interesting and talked about what had been designed into the 597 that was an engineering improvement on the 10/22.I read the article at the bookstore and dont remember what magazine it was so this will no doubt be 100% proof to 10/22 lovers that the article doesnt exist.:mad: To be honest with you i'd take my Savage model 64 over the 10/22 ANY day.Its also more accurate than any 10/22 ive ever shot and costs $100.00 at Wal-Mart!

http://www.remington.com/firearms/rimfire/597.htm

http://www.savagearms.com/rimfire/22lr_series/64f.htm

Master Blaster
July 16, 2003, 03:19 PM
I have a stock 10/22 carbine, and I have a stock 597 ss laminated version, with the medium weight barrel.

Both are good shooters. The accuracy edge goes to the 597 though, the trigger is better as well.

The 597 has a tighter chamber, which means you need to clean it with a clp coated q-tip every 100 rounds or you will get failures to extract and eject.

I like them both, I bought the 597 because at the time I was looking to upgrade my 10/22. When I looked at the barrels and stocks for the 10/22 I decided I really liked the 10/22 in its stock configuration better than with a heavy bull barrel. I looked at the 597 and I liked it, and the gunshop where I bought it had a 50 round target from one shot at 50 yards by the owner with CCI standard velocity, One big hole about the size of a quarter.

The owner said that it shot as well as his 10/22 custom bull barrel her had built for $800. The price of the SS 597 was $210 which was less than he had spent on the bull barrel for the 10/22. I held it it had nice balance and a decent but slightly heavy trigger. Volquartsen makes a 597 hammer that lightens the trigger to about 3lbs. Mine has lightened after a few thousand rounds and is excellent now.

BusMaster007
July 16, 2003, 04:40 PM
The 597 ejector and magazines were upgraded/changed to improve function.
Remington sent me a new ejector and magazine for FREE to upgrade my early model 597.
It now functions as well as the 10/22 (which isn't perfect).
In other words, they're both about 99% now! :D

Longbow
July 16, 2003, 05:59 PM
Me, like the chicken brand too! :D
If you get the itch to tinker later down the road, it will be alot easier to do on the 10/22. I just replaced the trigger group on mine with power custom brand and put a scope and that's it. Its a fun, accurate rifle even with the standard barell.

rebbryan
July 16, 2003, 06:02 PM
is remington now using steel magazines? that's my only complaint about the rifle is the plastic mags sucked. i bought mine around Christmas last year.

Nero Steptoe
July 16, 2003, 06:41 PM
I have a stainless 10-22 with folding stock. Lots of fun and totally reliable; however, I don't like the pisspoor design "feature" where the bolt doesn't lock back after the last round is fired.

Tropical Z
July 17, 2003, 12:39 PM
Remington is now making their 597 mags out of some metal alloy.Some people (not me) had problems with the original plastic one.

Kharn
July 17, 2003, 01:21 PM
I've got two or three of the metal mags for my .22lr 597, one of my two plastic mags ceased to function when a ~3mmx3mm chunk broke away from the back of the magazine (right behind the feed lips), so it would no longer retain ammo. Remington sent me a free metal mag after I sent them an email and complained about the plastic one breaking. The metal mags work fine and my rifle loves the Remington Golden bullets (who would have thought a Remington rifle would like Remington bullets? :uhoh: ).

Kharn

mcole
July 17, 2003, 03:54 PM
the 597 is more accurate. i bought mine not too long after they came out, for $115 nib (the cheap, plastic stock). had a pretty heavy trigger. very accurate, but would jam on ejection. called remington, they sent me (no charge) the new style ejector and new style metal mag. also discovered that there are 2 set screws on the back of the receiver for the bolt quide rails. back each one of these out and then back in until they just touch the end of each slide rail.
solved the heavy trigger pull by putting in a match hammer from jarvis custom (i believe they are in montana or idaho). brought the trigger pull down to about 2.75 lbs and very crisp and smooth. believe this was $35.
no more jamming.
at 25 yds, my daughters can shoot it virtually thru the same hole.
this year had to put a simmons 4 x 28 scope, parallaxed for .22 -- just couldn't seem to see that well at 50 and 100 yds. scope was about $40. easily shoots all holes touching at 50 and 100yds. mcole

blue86buick
July 17, 2003, 04:17 PM
I've got a 597; it was my first gun. At first, I was happy with it. Now, I rarely shoot it...not that it's a bad gun, I just like my other ones better. Plus, I've got a few problems with it.

1) I had to move the rear sight all the way down to shoot right, and at that position, it won't hold tight. Now, after trying to tighten it, I've stripped the head of the screw.

2) The scope I put on sucks, but that's my fault. :p

3) When I bought it, it came with a plastic mag, and I bought a metal one at the same time. Later, I bought a second metal mag. This was less than 2 months ago, and by now all three mags are gummed up. I presume this is from the brick of Federal Lightning I shot through it, as that ammo is quite gummy. Now, whether I'm using jacketed (plated) ammo, or lead (coated) ammo, rounds will frequently "stick" and not feed. If I pull and hold the bolt, they'll slowly slide up, but not fast enough to feed normally.

Does anyone know how to disassemble the metal 597 mags, or the best way to clean them w/o ruining them?

mcole
July 17, 2003, 04:58 PM
i believe you squeeze them on the sides just above the base and then the botom plate will come off. hell, i'd just take an old tooth brush and schrub them off and then run some hoppes thru and around them. sounds like your mags are gummed. mcole

MAURICE
July 17, 2003, 07:24 PM
My 597 is very accurate, but it does jam. I cannot seem to get the mags to keep from giving me failure to feeds.

BevrFevr
July 17, 2003, 07:53 PM
Search around for the stainless 22inch barrel version with the full size sporter stock. These were made exclusively for Wal-Mart and totally kick ???.

The only problem with 10-22 accuracy is the puny stock made for a child and the short sight radius. The standard barrel is very accurate but just not in that stock with those sights. If you put a scope or a red dot on it you can get on hole groups all day long.

However I never met a remington I didn't like alot. I had a Savage but gave it to a bud for helping me work on my truck. The Savage can compete but the plastic stock makes it feel like a bb gun.

Good Luck -bevr

blue86buick
July 18, 2003, 11:47 AM
i believe you squeeze them on the sides just above the base and then the botom plate will come off. hell, i'd just take an old tooth brush and schrub them off and then run some hoppes thru and around them. sounds like your mags are gummed.
Yeah, I know they're gummed...it was that Federal ammo I was using....but 7.99/brick was tempting enough to buy 3 bricks. :D

Have you ever tried to take apart the metal mags? I don't know about you, but I CAN'T squeeze them worth a s***. Maybe I'm just a weakling, but they ain't workin for me.

mcole
July 18, 2003, 12:40 PM
i've never tried to take the metal one's apart. the plastic mag's come apart that way. did it once to see if it works; it does. even with the plastic mags, i just dip a old tooth brush in hoppes and scrub them off; push the follower down and scrub around inside. if really dirty, then pour some hoppes into the mag and slosh it around. let them dry.
i usually only shoot winchester super-x and cci mini-mags; don't foul the rifle or mags very badly.
i also discovered that the cheap bulk stuff isn't reliable to cycle the action; sometimes it will, sometimes it won't.
mcole

GooseGestapo
July 18, 2003, 01:06 PM
I have two Rem. 597's.
I didn't start out to get two but just ended up that way.
I traded an NEF .243 that shot 6" groups @ 100yds for 597 Mag..
With origingal plastic stock 597mag, shot 1.25-1.5" @ 100yds with Win. 40gr HP. All other ammo ran worse. Magazines on .22 WRM has caused no problems.
I won a .22Lr 597 this past year at NRA nationals. Decided to keep it as it now has sentimental "connection" as a trophy. It has been mildly problematic with original "metal" magazines until I used 400grit W/D sand paper to remove some of the "flashing" off some contact areas. Function with the one magazine I have is now 100% except with some of the promotional ammo, or subsonic. Accuracy with original plastic stock was hit or miss depending on ammo, showed great promise.

Boyds ran an overrun of laminated stocks on sale for at first 24.00, then later for 12.00. Got first one, then a second.
After restocking, the .22lr shoots CCI mini-mags (solid and hp) into 1/2" or less @50yds. for 10rounds. Occasional groups with one batch of solids were running 1/4" for 5 shots. (shot up all that lot real quick!)
.22Mag shoots 7/8"-1" with Win. 40hp, around 1-1.25" with all others (even PMC shoots pretty well, except for new 45gr Dyna-pts. going 1.75-2.0" @ 100yds.) I've stoned both triggers to approx. 2lbs on mag, 2.75 for .22lr. No $35.00 triggers for me when I can do it for 30min. time with soft-arkansas. (Sear angle is weird, not a hook but a "ramp")

Having owned several 10/22's, one I spent $250.00 for Stainless fluted bull barrel and synthetic stock in mid'90's that would shoot no better than original factory stainless stock (one of the Walmart Gray/black's back in mid-late '90's after I glass bedded origial stock and was most accurate one I ever owned but would only shoot 3/4" @50yds-5 shots with best ammo)

I would recommend the Rem. 597 for the stated purpose.

If you want to really accessorize, the Ruger is the way to go with .22lr, but the Ruger .22mag's are really problem childs. Check out www.rimfirecentral.com for much more info on both rifles.
I still look at the Walmart Ruger with 22"Stainless/sporter stock, everytime I go to Sporting goods. Someday I'll just have to get one, But..... I'll probably end up spending $$$ to get it to shoot anything like the OTB (out of the box) Remingtons.
I do plan on getting a factory .17 HRM barrel for the Magnum though!

Jaywalker
July 18, 2003, 02:00 PM
I don't have a 597, so I can't comment on that. I am giving up on my 10/22, though, so I thought I'd comment as to why. I'm not really interested in all the tweaking that would be necessary to make it work for me. This is a recent decision, as for a month or so I have been gathering advice on "how" to do things as I discovered "what" needed to be done.

It definitely needs a couple of things. It needs a trigger or hammer mod, as it's so stiff that I have to shoot with a meaty part of my index finger. I'd need to determine the reason for its erratic faiures to eject. It needs (for me) the stock length altered. As it shoots just over an inch at 50 yards, it probably needs a new barrel, but that's hard to tell with the trigger as it is.

Basically, I just decided that a rifle that didn't fit me, wasn't accurate, and wasn't reliable didn't need to be the basis for a new rifle. I bought a Thompson Center Classic last week.

Jaywalker

BusMaster007
July 19, 2003, 04:25 PM
I find that the 10/22 is a $120.00 .22 that needs $300.00 of goodies to make it 'just right'.

Kinda like a $400.00 1911 .45 that needs $600.00 of goodies to do the same.

The 597 is pretty good for a cheap .22 rifle, especially since the upgrades are already there for the previous ejector/magfeed troubles, or they are available from Remington for free.
That 597 is a full size and accurate .22, and now is more or as reliable as the Ruger.

If you buy the target version of either, you'll save money in the long run.
If you just love to tweak things and stylize (I DO!), then spending the $$$ on your .22 rifle is worth it! :D

NewMexicanDesertRat
June 15, 2007, 12:27 AM
While I admit that I am jealous of the way my buddy can customize his 10/22 with an endless array of stocks and barrels etc. etc. (I've even seen one conversion kit that turns two 10/22 rifles into a double barrel gatlin gun!)

We both agree that the 597 is either more accurate or as accurate as any barrel he has ever put on his 10/22 and the 597 was a $140.00 rifle brand new...

Cons with the 597: I have worn out a couple of magazines, but they are not expensive to replace and the 597 jams frequently with 36 gr. ammo. Using 40 gr. CCI Mini Mag solves that problem as I get 1 or 2 jams per box of 100, makes plinking more expensive but the Mini Mags and the 597 are a pretty DOB accurate match.

azhunter12
June 15, 2007, 02:00 AM
Theres no compairson. Get the Ruger or the flaming chicken brand as Robert in Oregon says.

_N4Z_
June 15, 2007, 09:06 AM
Neither. Had a 597 that was a jam master flash. It had all the upgraded mags too. :barf:

No opinion on the 10/22, but I do now have a Marlin 925. It is the keeper.

ceetee
June 15, 2007, 12:48 PM
To pull apart the metal mags, just take a fine-bladed flat screwdriver, wedge it in-between the plastic bottom cap and metal body, and gently pry the cap off. There is a lip on either side of the cap that's molded into the plastic that hooks onto a ledge in the body to keep it in place. You'll have to get that lip off the ledge.

There are some really good tips on maintaining the 597 over on Rimfire Central. I love mine.

ftierson
June 15, 2007, 01:57 PM
I have a Ruger 10/22R that I purchased in about 1975.

I have two Remington M597 rifles in .22LR, both purchased in 1997/1998.

I have no interest in spending hundreds of dollars for hanging extra crap on my .22LR rifles, so the vast supply of 10/22 'accessories' holds no appeal for me. I've always thought that the gun should be 'right', right out of the box. And the M597 is about as close as you can get to that for me...

I've fired several thousand rounds through the 10/22, almost all before I picked up the M597s. Now, I rarely shoot the Ruger.

The 10/22 has always been extremely reliable if kept reasonably clean. When I first purchased it, the trigger was awful. Thousands of rounds later, it's still just as awful...

Both of the M597s have better triggers than the 10/22. Both of the ones that I have are very reliable with the original plastic magazines and the original ejectors. I have picked up some of the new metal magazines, but I haven't tried them yet.

When I was purchasing the M597s, I looked through several of them in the gunshops and noticed that some had quite awful bores (rough with torn rifling) I just picked two that looked really good that way...

I have a cheap 3-9x32mm Tasco scope on one of the M597s and use the original open sights on the other.

Except for the trigger, I like the Ruger 10/22. I like the Remington M597 better...

Forrest

ArmedBear
June 15, 2007, 05:02 PM
My Ruger doesn't feed lead bullets reliably. It shoots well enough with plated bullets, but it's kinda kid-sized. By the numbers, the LOP isn't THAT short; I'm not sure what's up with it (synthetic stock, old recessed style).

It's a PITA to clean, but what semiauto isn't? Beats a gas-operated centerfire.

All around, the 10/22 is a pretty decent gun for under $200, if you can dodge the temptation to turn it into a $1000 gun that's marginally better than it was originally.

I haven't shot mine since I got a Marlin Golden 39A. I even thought about selling it, but there's something in the Bible that says that every man has to have a 10/22 somewhere in the house, so I kept it.:)

Hell, the 10/22 doesn't even lock open on an empty mag, unless you spend $50 in parts and modify it yourself. That's what I mean: if you leave it as-is, it's a pretty decent little gun, but once you start pouring money into it, you might as well get a higher-class firearm.

Browning SA22 and BL22, Marlin 39, Remington 552/572 BDL, Henry Octagon, etc. are more satisfying guns to own and shoot, IMJO. (In My Jaded Opinion:) ) That doesn't mean don't buy a 10/22 for $160; it means I don't think it's worth putting $500-1000 into one when that money will buy you some nice guns. Sometimes two nice guns.

If Ruger would sell just the receiver for $100 without the barrel or stock, then we'd be talkin':D

Ohio Rifleman
June 15, 2007, 07:13 PM
I've had a 10/22 for about a year and half and have not had one single problem with it. Not a single failure to eject, no jams, no misfires. Well, it did jam when I was using crappy aftermarket magazine, but that wasn't the gun's fault. I have no complaints with accuracy or the stock length. But, I did buy it with a scope already on it. I've never fired a Remington 597, so I have no comment on it.

dahondaboy
September 12, 2007, 12:02 AM
the other day i picked up a 597 .22lr for 70 bucks at a pawn shop, they said the bolt wouldnt close after each ejection without manually pushing it forward. i got it home dissasembled it and found the set screws for the rails were too tight putting the bolt in a bind. i backed them off per the assembly diagram and a fresh coat of oil on everything. now it out shoots my old winchester pump 22 i thought that was impossible! i have fired about 1500 rounds thru it in 4 days with not one complaint except i wish i could find a wood thumbhole stock for it.

rangerruck
September 12, 2007, 12:30 AM
th 597 is better, period, that is the general rimfire consensus. just make sure you have the latest mags, make sure your guide rails, are adjusted almost all the way out, and you shall be squared away, and good to go .

tazchaz
September 17, 2007, 10:07 PM
I own both and both are good rifles. However, right out of the box the 597 will shoot much tighter groups than the 10/22. But I also own several Marlin 39A's and they will shoot better groups than either the Remington or the Ruger. Only one of my Marlins has a scope so I compared all of them without scopes before scoping the 597 and 10/22.

Since the 597 was already more accurate than the 10/22 it was upgraded with a Boyds Evolution stock, and a Volquartsen bull barrel, new hammer and extractor. The trigger pull is now a crisp 5 lbs with no creep and it is has become a tack driver.

I have never had a jam or failure to feed with either of them. I have retired the 10/22 to the safe and it will be a Christmas gift for one of my kids. The Marlins are used for rabbit and squirrel hunting and are my favorite .22 caliber rifles.

But for small caliber target shooting you can't beat my 597.

skinewmexico
September 17, 2007, 10:24 PM
Our range bought 5 597s for the youth silhouette team a few years ago. It takes 5 adults at every match to keep clearing jams. What a POS.

rangerruck
September 17, 2007, 11:39 PM
again, get the newest gen mags for the 597, adjust the rails all the way out, and it will run fine.

rocketfish
September 17, 2007, 11:45 PM
My 597 jams and has the latest 3rd generation mag. The rail screws are not too tight. It is highly accurate though.

razorblade31
September 18, 2007, 01:27 PM
no experiance with the ruger, but my brother had a 597 and it was basically a piece of junk. it jammed at least one time for every 20 rounds fired through it. we tried ammo from cci remington and wichester and none of them could group better than about 4 inches at 50 yards. could be the gun was just a fluke, but I'd go for the ruger

MCgunner
September 18, 2007, 01:47 PM
Haven't even read the thread and I know there's gonna be some strong flaming against the 597 AND the 10-22 and some guys saying "Marlin M60". Well, I have a 10-22 and a 597 magnum. The Remington and the 10-22 are both flawless. The 10-22 is a typical 22 in size and the Remington feels like a real rifle in your hands. The Remington is MUCH more accurate, 1.5 MOA accurate, but of course is a .22 mag. 1" 25 yard groups are the norm with the 10-22 and it's not real reliable with Federal cheap bulk pack stuff. It is flawless with CCI mini mag and shoots Stinger just as well.

If I had to give one of 'em up, it'd be the 10-22 because I have a couple of old .22s that are more accurate. One of 'em's an old Mossberg M152 made before they required serial numbers. With ordinary ammo, it shoots about like the 10-22, but with RWS target, it becomes another gun. :D I also have an old M512X Remington bolt gun that's as accurate with .22LR as is my 597 with magnums and it shoots everything, even CCI CB shorts with that sort of amazing accuracy.

But, I like the 10-22 and don't plan to get rid of it. It's a fun plinker and the only stainless .22 I have. It was cheap enough and there's no reason to sell it even though I'm not that in love with the way it shoots. The 597s accuracy has endeared it to me and it stays where it is. :D I never thought I'd like a .22 mag until I got this thing. I could shoot squirrel to 100 yards with it!:what::D It shoots FLAT compared to any .22 LR.

I made one mod on the 597, put a Varquarqerson or how ever the hell you spell it target hammer in it and that REALLY lightened the trigger. It made an AMAZING difference. The stock trigger was quite heavy, if crisp. Now, it's light and managable. On the 10-22 I put a Hogue overmolded stock, that's it, bone stock. I could add all sorts of stuff, but I just see it as a nice, rugged .22 plinker. It's my only iron sighted .22.

_N4Z_
September 18, 2007, 03:06 PM
The 597 is a crap shoot. Some get good ones, some do not.

I fell into the latter group.

I am not flaming the 597, just relaying my actual experience, which sucked.

Many many different types of ammo tried. Guide rods adjusted to and fro. New magazines made of metal with the little #10 in a circle. Yada, yada, it would not work. Never ever got a full mag thru it without some sort of stoppage.

It was very accurate, very unreliable, and extremely frustrating.

So..... give it a shot if your contemplating one, but buyer beware.

MCgunner
September 18, 2007, 03:14 PM
I seem to have heard less griping about the 597 magnum than the LR version. Am I dreaming this? Mine is plastic mags, don't know if they even offer metal mags in the magnums. I have 2 mags and both are 100 percent so far. It feeds everything, but that low power Winchester Dynapoint stuff which hangs now and then. It's got less umph than the maximag stuff, though.

doubleg
September 18, 2007, 03:17 PM
597's are junk get the Ruger.

ftierson
September 18, 2007, 05:35 PM
I have a couple of the synthetic 597s in .22LR and also one in .22WMR...

All three of them work just fine with the original plastic mags, including the .22WMR...

I have also picked up several of the metal mags just to be safe, but I've never had the need to use any of them...

The current mags for the .22WMR are also metal...

Forrest

Quoheleth
September 18, 2007, 06:50 PM
Long story short, Academy has the 597 combo (w/synthetic grey stock & 3-9x32 Tasco scope) for $169 and the "vanilla" with open sites for $149.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/hunting/rim_fire_rifles&start=10&selectedSKU=0351-02662-5131

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/hunting/rim_fire_rifles&start=10&selectedSKU=0351-02662-2597

(I called around; even Tomball Pawn can't beat that price right now.) Gander Mountain's price is over $220 (neither Houston store even had one in stock, and it's on their sale flyer!).

PLUS, Remington has a $20 mail in rebate. That's a lot of shootin' money!
It's got me thinking of getting one for when I take my girls to the range in a couple weeks.

Enjoy!
Q

_N4Z_
September 18, 2007, 08:23 PM
Ya, Academy. Funny. That's where I got my 597 hooptie.

Be advised, if it does not work as intended (like mine), Academy has a no return policy on all firearms.

Carry on.

MCgunner
September 18, 2007, 10:12 PM
And, Remington wouldn't make it right?

bensdad
September 18, 2007, 10:30 PM
My 597 was junk. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Jammed all the time. Not accurate enough. My 60 is awsome.

FLORIDA KEVIN
October 7, 2007, 05:17 PM
I have both rifles ! the 10/22 I have had since I was 12 , i'll be 54 next month . I love my ruger ! I bought the remiington a couple years ago ,to take some pressure off the ruger ( it must have shot about a zillion rounds by now it is the toughest most reliable gun I have ever had ! ) The Remington is a real good shooter now ! it used to jam about every 3rd or 4th shot until i found out about losseneing the the rails that the bolt rides on ! since then no problem ! The ruger is sweet and if i only had 1 .22 rifle it would be the Ruger , if it is just another gun then get the Remington ! This is actually the second 597 I bought ! The first one jammed every other shot with a stovepipe jam ! I When I went to clean it after the first range session I realized that the extractor was missing!! not broken -- not there at all ! bass Pro shops took it back and replaced it with the one I have now ! They wouldn't just give me the extractor !! so we had to do more paper work ! It came with a cheap scope 4X ,I replace that with a 3-9X. now I can spot my own shots !

FLORIDA KEVIN
October 7, 2007, 05:22 PM
I would buy another one if the price was right ! as a matter of fact I wouldn't mind a 597 in .22 mag!!I have never hunted with it ! The ruger has killed a lot of rabbits ,squirrels ,rats , and even a few quail!

jcampbe6
December 12, 2007, 03:50 PM
by far the 597 is a way better gun now that remington made metal mags. i have a 10-22 and a 597 and the 10-22 just sits in the gun case when i go squirrel hunting. havent had and problems with jamming after 1000's of rounds with the 597. and if you clean your guns like your suppose to it wont rust!!!

PirateRadio
December 12, 2007, 03:59 PM
I got my 597 last Saturday and have put about 400 rounds though it. I had a few ejection problems when I was shooting it yesterday but that turned out to be bad ammo and not the guns fault. My experience with .22s is limited but so far I'm loving this gun. It fits me just right and is a lot of fun to shoot. Seems very well put together too.

WYJT
February 9, 2008, 03:27 PM
I have both the Ruger 10/22 and the Remington 597. Both have bull barrels and both have laminated stocks with scopes. I took both guns to the range and put them in a gun vise. I couldn't honestly say that one is more accurate than the other. They were both very accurate.
On the 10/22's there has been a lot of trouble with the bolt stops. If you have this trouble, here is a good fix. http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/fixermod.htm
On the Remington 597, the only complaint I had was the factory plastic clips not feeding right and jamming the gun. I wrote to remington about this and they sent me a metal clip free of charge and it's been fine ever since with no more jamming.
The only thing I like better about the Ruger 10/22 is that there is a lot more accessories available for them, than there are for the 597. But aside from that, they are both very good and very accurate guns.

JT

NorthCounty
February 9, 2008, 05:25 PM
I have both rifles and I must be doing something wrong. My 10/22 is pretty accurate (accurate enough for me), but the 597 is terrible. My tightest group at 50 yards is 8 inches. Its all over the place. My 10/22 from the same distance on the same day was making about 3 inch groups. I've tried several types of ammo with similar results. Now, I am by no means a marksman I just like to have fun, but the 597 isn't even fun to shoot.

FLORIDA KEVIN
February 9, 2008, 06:29 PM
I have both rifles ! I have had the 10/22 since 1965 and I cant tell you how many rounds have been fired through it ! it is functionaly perfect and has never failed to fire or eject ! i bought a Rem 597 a couple years ago because i didnt want to put a scope on the Ruger and i wanted a second .22 for when I have company ! the remington is a great shooter i put an inexpensive simmons blazer 3-9 valiable scope on it because the one that came on it was junk ! I had problems with the jamming but it seems to have been remedied by losening and then tightening the 2 allen bolts / guide rails in the action ! apparently they are tightend unevenly sometimes abd cuase the bolt to bind when the action cycles ! i love to shoot them both both favor the Remington due to my aging eyesight ! When I go to the range ! If I were hunting rabits I would go with the ruger ! The Remington is a decent shooter but it seems to attract dirt and grime inside the action ! Nothing stops the ruger ! Kevin

WYJT
February 10, 2008, 11:28 AM
I've shot rabbit and prairie dogs out to and beyond 100 yrds with the 597 and have no trouble with the accuracy. I did have jamming trouble with it, but cured the problem by getting rid of the factory plastic clips and buying metal ones.

1911NM
February 10, 2008, 11:56 AM
Once more for another round of problems with the 597. Mine is picky on ammo, and even with a good teardown and cleaning the firing pin strike is light enough some cheapo ammo won't fire at all. I have the plastic mag, and have no trouble with feeding. I just eject more live rounds on the ground than anything else. Oh, yeah, the trigger pull is horrendous. I carried a 10/22 while running a trapline for years, and bought my wife one of the short sporter stocked models last year as she is like 5 foot nothing. I never want to put up money shooting against her, and had no problems with the 10/22 in all kinds of weather. It may not shoot with some of the bolt guns I have had, but good enough for the plinking we do anymore. I am either going to replace the hammer on the 597, or trade it off. All just my personal experience, YMMV.

WYJT
February 10, 2008, 01:36 PM
My 10/22 on top and my 597 on bottom.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r116/JTs_photo/DSC01910.jpg?t=1202664568 .

I don't have any complaints about the trigger pull or any thing else on these two. They shoot just about exactly the same. I couldn't tell you which one is more accurate. I took both to the range the same day and shot them at 50 and 100 yard targets and they shot so close to the same that I couldn't pick one over the other as far as accuracy.
The remington is considerably lighter though.

JT

bannockburn
February 10, 2008, 02:19 PM
I have both; the Ruger was puchased new in 1978, and the 597 I bought for my son a few years ago (his choice). My 10/22 is extremely reliable and accurate, even with iron sights; eventually I mounted an old Weaver K2.5 on it, and its still putting them all in the ten ring, provided I do my part as well. Preferred ammo is still CCI MiniMags, though I have also been getting some really great results with Wolf Match Target. My sons 597 is another story. I can't report on accuracy because it jams so frequently, its difficult to have any sort of consistency with it. I have tried all the fixes for it, including the reworked magazines and tightening down the op rods. Nothing helps; what adds insult to injury though is the fact that it does the worst (FTF and FTE), with any Remington brand ammo. Go figure.

WYJT
February 10, 2008, 04:48 PM
Bannockburn,
I have both; the Ruger was puchased new in 1978, and the 597 I bought for my son a few years ago (his choice). My 10/22 is extremely reliable and accurate, even with iron sights; eventually I mounted an old Weaver K2.5 on it, and its still putting them all in the ten ring, provided I do my part as well. Preferred ammo is still CCI MiniMags, though I have also been getting some really great results with Wolf Match Target. My sons 597 is another story. I can't report on accuracy because it jams so frequently, its difficult to have any sort of consistency with it. I have tried all the fixes for it, including the reworked magazines and tightening down the op rods. Nothing helps; what adds insult to injury though is the fact that it does the worst (FTF and FTE), with any Remington brand ammo. Go figure.

Wow, that surprising. I run the cheapest ammo I can find at walmart through both my 10/22 and my 597 and they both shoot great. I buy the 550 round bulk boxes or ammo at wally world and don't have any trouble.

JT

WYJT
February 10, 2008, 04:49 PM
Bannockburn,

Wow, that surprising. I run the cheapest ammo I can find at walmart through both my 10/22 and my 597 and they both shoot great. I buy the 550 round bulk boxes or ammo at wally world and don't have any trouble.

JT

bannockburn
February 10, 2008, 06:41 PM
WYJT

It's just kind of frustrating because the 597 is a well built rifle and it's probably capable of decent accuracy, if you could get more than one shot off before you get a jam of some sort. The original plastic magazine was the worst for non-function, and the metal ones haven't been much better, even after I completely deburred them and polished them up, inside and out. But it was my sons first .22 rifle and he wants to keep it. So maybe some day Remington will redesign the magazine so it actually functions as one, and not just as a box with some .22s in it that may or may not feed into the gun. And then maybe we'll see what his 597 can do.

Matt-J2
February 10, 2008, 07:33 PM
Aren't the op-rod screws supposed to be loosened, rather than tightened?

I thought the problem is they were usually too far in, and backing them out loosened the op-rods enough to let everything move the way it's supposed to.

bannockburn
February 10, 2008, 08:41 PM
Matt-J2

Sorry I wasn't clear about that; the op rods are supposedly too tight from the factory, causing them to bind and the bolt to short stroke. By loosening the op rodes and then re-tightening them, but without the total crank down, you eliminate the binding and the mis-feeds. But as I posted, it still didn't help any with my sons rifle.

Matt-J2
February 10, 2008, 09:06 PM
Ok, wasn't sure if that's what you meant or if you meant you had tightened them down even further than factory, and inadvertantly made the problem worse.

MCgunner
February 11, 2008, 12:40 AM
I have both rifles and I must be doing something wrong. My 10/22 is pretty accurate (accurate enough for me), but the 597 is terrible. My tightest group at 50 yards is 8 inches. Its all over the place. My 10/22 from the same distance on the same day was making about 3 inch groups. I've tried several types of ammo with similar results. Now, I am by no means a marksman I just like to have fun, but the 597 isn't even fun to shoot.

8" groups at 50 yards? I've never fired a .22 that bad. I have a 3" barrel cheap POS Phoenix Arms HP22 zinc alloy pistol I carry in a pocket that will put 'em into 6" at 50! ROFLMAO! If I had a .22 that couldn't group 8" at 50, I'd send it back to the factory. You sure your scope mount ain't loose?

Even 3" at 50 is pretty pathetic. My 10/22 is no tack driver, but I can put 10 rounds into 1.5" at 50 with its iron sights. That ain't that shabby. A scope might tighten that a little, too, and I still need to try some match ammo in it. My Remington 597M with 3x9 Bushnell trophy shoots 1.5" groups at 100 yards. 100 percent reliable. Love shooting that thing, but it's a little expensive compared to LR ammunition. I can get a box of 9x19 for what the stuff costs at Walmart.

CajunBass
February 11, 2008, 06:53 AM
I've got two 10/22's and a 597. If you're compairing the standard 597 to the standard 10/22 carbine, I'd give the edge to the 597. The standard 10/22 carbine feels sort of small to me, where the 597 looks and feels like a full sized rifle.

However, neither of my 10/22's are standard carbines. One is a Delux Sporter, the other is a Wally World Special. In my particular case, the edge goes back to the Ruger just on looks alone.

I can't tell much difference in the way they shoot. They both work fine, squirrels fall out of the tree sometimes when I shoot at them. Usually it's from laughing, but sometimes I hit them.

I say get 'em both.

ceetee
February 11, 2008, 10:14 AM
I just recently mounted an inexpensive scope on my 597 (the Simmons 3-9x32 AO). I made a full post on Rimfire Central. (http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211962&page=2) To make a long story short, this rifle is plenty more accurate than I am. All these targets were shot at 25 yds, and all the flyers are totally my fault...

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g34/cottontail001/100_1087.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g34/cottontail001/100_1084.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g34/cottontail001/100_1085.jpg

This last photo shows twenty rounds - two full magazines. Ammo used was CCI Minimag HP's.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g34/cottontail001/100_1086.jpg

The upshot is that if I were a better marksman, these groups would probably be single-holers. If your rifle isn't performing to this standard, then it needs a trip back to Remington, to be made right...

22hgrfle
February 25, 2008, 02:42 AM
I've had the 597 for a while and finally got to try it out at 100 and 200 yds. It jammed occasionally with Federal Champion and Remington Golden Bullet which are pointy, but not with Peters (Remington) which is rounder-tipped. Got a good shot group with iron sights at 100 yds, but need to work on the sight for the 200 yds. It does not come with a wrench to adjust the sight unless I've put it away for good somehow. Mine came with the cheaper polymer stock and I've noticed that the barrel seems to rust. Kind of wishing I'd have gone with the 10/22 which has more accessories, but I have no complaints as to accuracy.

240SX
July 19, 2008, 06:54 PM
I have both, a 10/22 (carbine) and a Remington 597. The 10/22 has been the most outstanding .22 rifle over the passed decades, but I believe that Remington has developed a rifle that is ready and willing to compete with the 10/22.

You can get everything for the Remington 597 that you can for the 10/22. I have my load to the max and enjoy both. I feel that I have 2 extremely well built, accurate, and reliable .22 rifles.

goldie
July 20, 2008, 12:00 AM
i had the 22 mag hb version of the 597. it had a nice solid feel,but it would not stay on target,it would seem to drift to the right after many shots(at 50 yds).when i took it apart,the left side of the bolt was not round,just looked cut off,not well finished,& to re assemble the bolt with the guide rods was a real fiasco.my hk300 would shoot rings around it.i eventually sold it.maybe the 22lr version is better.also, that zinc magazine was kind of crappy,once a round got stuck next to another,had to pry it out.

Rimfiredude
August 8, 2008, 08:54 PM
Let's talk a little about ammo first. I purchased a 597 and thought Remington ammo would be the best choice. After a few attempts to get the blasted rifle to work I called Remington. I was told to take it to the warranty station in San Gabriel. After about 10 days they called and told me it was fixed. I then picked it up and took it to the range. Same nonsense...Hickup, burb, jam, stovepipe etc. Then I noticed some Winchester SuperX in my gun case. I appears they had tested it with Winchester ammo. Guess what, it worked just fine with the Winchester ammo. I had some CCI Mini Mags in my truck. I tried the Mini Mags and they worked just fine.

So I replaced the hammer with a Volquartzen hammer which dropped the trigger to a hair over 2 pounds. I purchased 11 more magazines and tried a few more kinds of ammo. I like Federal Champion 40gr. round nose, not the 36 gr. hollow points. The magazines do not like the hollow points because they are a little to long and jam. STICK WITH THE ROUND NOSE BULLETS.

OK...now the real test. I just finished shooting 4 bricks "2,000 rounds" of "Federal Champion 40gr. round nose lead" through my 597 without cleaning it. Guess what...it did not burp one time.

The 597 is a fine, reliable rifle. It has been my trusty Steel Competition rifle for about 5 years and very, very seldom does it let me down.

And by the way, the mags do come apart to clean. Just pop off the base plate with a little screw driver.

5 cases of ammo later...I could not love the rifle more.

RemMod597
August 15, 2008, 04:46 PM
I, too,, lost my extractor on the 597 on my first outing with it. Terrible jammiing after about 200 rds of Federal Bulk. Noticed the missing ejector when I field stripped the rifle. Took it back to Joe's (formerly GI Joe's) and they sent it back to Remington for repair. I am anxious to get it back and go play with it.

Oh yeah, out of the box it is extremely accurate.

FLORIDA KEVIN
August 28, 2008, 10:54 PM
Well I just went to the range this afternoon and after getting all dailed in ,ny Reminton started jamming ! I looked closly inside and noticed the extractor was missing !! all I could find was the extractor plunger ! I am thinking that the spring and the extractor might have gotten into the barrel and launched down range ? i will be on the phone to remington in the morning 1 I hope they will just send me the parts ! Kevin

kcshooter
August 28, 2008, 11:14 PM
Wow. My 597 has thousands and thousands of rounds thru it. I very seldom get an issue. I use the winchester super X ammo because it seems to work almost flawlessly. The federal "match grade" bulk pack seems to be a pretty good cheaper ammo. It is a LOT more accurate than the 10/22.

Rimfiredude
August 31, 2008, 01:38 PM
I am glad to see more favorable reports on the 597. All I have done to mine is a Volquartsen hammer and a YellowJacket stock. It just keeps running, case after case after case of ammo. It even eats the Federal Bulk Pack ammo that Walmart sells. Like it so much I bought another one in stainless and another Boyd Evolution Stock for it in Camo.

I put a Volquartsen barrel on my buckmark and it became a tack driver.I would love to have a comped Volquartsen carbon fiber lightweight barrel for my 597. If you are interested, please email "Nice Shot LLC" nicellc@ sbcglobal.net. If he gets enough interest he said he will place an order.

stiletto raggio
September 1, 2008, 01:05 PM
Remington hasn't made a decent .22 sporter since the Nylon 66. Remember that "Viper" abortion? Get the 10/22. There is a reason it is the most successful mag-fed .22 ever.

Schleprok62
September 1, 2008, 03:19 PM
There is a reason it is the most successful mag-fed .22 ever.

Uhmmm... cuz you have to spend 5 times what the rifle cost new to compete with ANY of it's competition?? there's a good reason... :p

My 597 I haven't had any problems with in the 4 years I've had it... unlike the 10/22 that now resides at the bottom of the Ohio River... hmmm.... :p

stiletto raggio
September 1, 2008, 05:00 PM
Okay, folks. Let's be reaasonable. When the 10/22 first came out, were there tons of accessories and aftermarket modifications for it? No? So where did these products come from?

The Ruger haters will say "they are there because you need to replace all the factory parts to get a decent rifle." Think about that for a bit. If the rifle weren't good, it would not have lasted in a market so crowded with competition and with such small profit margins. Period.

The rifle survived because it was good to start with. It spawned the aftermakret accessories it has because it is one of the few rifles out there whose barrel can be easily removed, whose trigger mechanism is easily tampered with, and whose basic design lends itself to installing and removing various other parts.

Does that make it a better gun out of the box than a 597? Probably not. But let's be honest. Gun people don't just buy guns and leave them alone. They make changes--small or not--to get the gun "just the way they want it." If you want to leave the gun bone stock, go for it. I still think the design is fundamentally good. But if you want to make your trigger nicer or get a smaller/longer/lighter/heavier/folding stock for it, the options are there to be had. Not so for the 597.

Rimfiredude
September 13, 2008, 12:13 PM
For 40 bucks you can buy a Volquartsen hammer for your 597 and you will have about a 2.5 lb trigger. They also sell an extractor for it. I purchased 3 cool Boyd Stocks for the 3 597s that I own. Aftermarket barrels look cool but are they really needed? The stock barrel on all of my 597s will shoot with a bull barrel 1022.

My partner and I love the guns so much we are designing some after market parts "stocks, muzzle brake, hammer, extractor, barrel, magazine release, extended magazine pads and a magwell for fast reloads" which should be available in Jan. of 2009. Would you like us to make anything else? Let me know, always looking for good ideas.

Rimfiredude
September 23, 2008, 12:17 PM
Well guys, I just picked up a 597 in .17HRM. Took it to the range, turned on the lights and proceeded to shoot. I only put one round in the magazine because I read all the horror stories about the gun blowing up. It seemed to work fine, so I loaded 5 in the magazine and started sighting it in. It took about 20 rounds to get it just where I wanted it...dead on at 50 yards. And I mean "Dead On". What a shooter! One ragged hole at 50 yards. My scope is a Bushnell Legend 5-15 and a Harris ByPod. After playing at 50 yards I went to the Triangle Plate at 125 yards. I could not tell where I was hitting the plate. I just knew I was hitting it because of the clanking sound. Now lets see if we can blow this gun up with a little Bump Firing. Now way! The guns works flawlessly just like the other two I have in .22lr.

One little note...I noticed on the package for the extra mags I bought that the capacity for the .22mag was 8 and for the .17HMR was only 6. Maybe there is a feeding issue if you load 8 which could case a round to fire without being locked up and blow up. I will stick with loading 5 rounds and am confident the gun will last for a long, long time.

22 lover
September 26, 2008, 08:49 PM
new magazine helped alot,found that remington yellow jackets feed best and can shoot 20 cent size holes at 25 yards without trying to hard.(used to use winchester power points as found were best killing round at the time) yellow jackets are as good. also found clean mag helps but keep it dry not dripping with lube or cleaning solution also stretched mag spring a wee bit seemed to force mag follower to keep ammo sitting right in mag not had hang up in mag since.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 597 vs. Ruger 10/22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!