7.62x54mm - incendiary or not?!

PDA

Brass Fetcher
November 4, 2007, 12:55 AM
Hi everyone. I need a little bit of help id'ing a cartridge. Any help is appreciated.

It is a 7.62x54mm cartridge, with '3' and '88' headstamps. There is a red paint streak on the neck of the cartridge. I was firing this round at a hard dirt berm and noticed what looked like a tracer effect on some impacts and a shower of red sparks on other impacts.

Any ideas?

Thank you. JE

If you enjoyed reading about "7.62x54mm - incendiary or not?!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dumdum303
November 4, 2007, 01:24 AM
It sounds like Albanian surplus. I have the exact same bullets. They have a copper/steel jacket as well as a steel core. If the red stripe is on the case neck and the primer, its just sealant. The sparks are probably from the steel jacket/core hitting rocks. Thats why most ranges in Ca. don't allow it. Come to think of it, soon lead ammo won't be allowed in some counties. :cuss: Just be careful of ricochets.

Brass Fetcher
November 4, 2007, 01:32 AM
@dumdum303 - Thank you for that. That explains why some of the shots did not 'light up', I imagine that those hit only the dirt and no rocks.

chris in va
November 4, 2007, 01:38 AM
I remember the first time my friend shot his new Arsenal AK at the indoor range. Sparks were really flying at the backstop. The steel cased bullet will do that. It's not steel CORED however, but half filled with lead.

If you enjoyed reading about "7.62x54mm - incendiary or not?!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!