A new, and quite mysterious Croation EBR

PDA

PercyShelley
November 4, 2007, 06:36 AM
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w122/nibnub/42452_IMG_0807_122_142lo.jpg

Word 'round the internet is that it's called the VHS. I'm not fluent in Croatian, so I have no idea what the V stands for, but I would be that the HS stands for HS Produkt; the same developers who brought you the HS2000 pistol.

The HS2000, of course, is sometimes called the XD in the United States.

As for the VHS, the interwebs have been remarkably quiet. It's clearly a bullpup assault rifle chambered in 5.56 NATO that feeds from STANAG 30 round magazines. The picture above suggests that it does not have provisions for left-sided ejection.

This is an exploded view from the militaryphotos forum, but frankly I can't make heads or tails of it, except to say that this is not simply a bullpup shell built around a pre-existing action (doesn't look like an AK on the inside) and that it appears to be gas-operated:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3665&d=1141639905

Finally, the rifle is stated to weigh in at a svelte 2.3 kilograms (about the same as an M16A1), and posses an unusual gas system that blows some of the propellant gases behind the bolt to reduce recoil.

If you enjoyed reading about "A new, and quite mysterious Croation EBR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Acheron
November 4, 2007, 10:19 AM
It looks very similar to an Israeli TAR-21 Tavor assault rifle. In fact, it looks almost identical. No wait, it IS a Tavor.

Onmilo
November 4, 2007, 10:20 AM
What that rifle is, it is a licensed copy of the Israeli Military Industries, TAR21 'Tavor' assault rifle.
You can find more information on this weapon system through Janes Defense or DBI Books Modern Assault Rifles.
I was typing and Acheron was posting! :)

Bartholomew Roberts
November 4, 2007, 10:44 AM
V probably stands for something similar to "Vintovka" - that is a Russian word for "rifle". Croatian is close enough to Russian that I imagine the Croatian word is similar.

rangerruck
November 4, 2007, 11:35 AM
which of course also translates in to English, " Ha ha ha, no lefties!"

Lone Star
November 4, 2007, 12:48 PM
I have a Serb neighbor and know another on the Net. If you can get the full name for this rifle and model, I'll ask them what it translates to. I think Serbo-Croatian is the language. One of the Serbs also has some Russian.

Lone Star

Commander Guineapig
November 4, 2007, 03:47 PM
She doesn't look real confident holding the rifle, in fact she looks rather worried.
Hm.
"Does this new VHS make me look fat?"
It kinda looks like an Aug crossed with a FAMAS...
kinda sweet lookin...

GP

PercyShelley
November 4, 2007, 07:49 PM
It can't be a tavor; look at the field stripped parts picture:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3665&d=1141639905

And now look at the tavor disassembly:

http://world.guns.ru/assault/tavor_dis.jpg

The external shell of the tavor does not come apart between the pistol grip and the upper receiver. The outer shell of the VHS splits into three parts.

The charging handle of the tavor is visible from the right side. Not so the VHS.

The stock area of the tavor drops down substantially more than the stock of the VHS as well.

The internal parts of the VHS could be licensed copies of those from the tavor (in which case the internet so far would be wrong), but the furniture is quite a bit different.

Croatia did manufacture the APS-95 for some time, which was a licensed copy of the galil, but the VHS seems only superficially similar to the tavor.

Dr.Rob
November 4, 2007, 08:14 PM
Looks like a bastard cross between an SA-80 and a FAMAS (whatever that French bullpup is called). And that woman looks very comfortable with her rifle, note trigger finger disciplne.

Wes Janson
November 4, 2007, 10:54 PM
On the other hand, the guy on the left looks like he's getting ready to draw ;)

Hoppy590
November 4, 2007, 11:01 PM
On the other hand, the guy on the left looks like he's getting ready to draw

i see cops stand like that all the time. makes ya wanna roll up a newspaper and tap them on the nose saying "No"

Lone Star
November 5, 2007, 01:20 AM
Jut a guess here. Czech may be similar to these languages like Serbo-Coatian. Could the V be Vzor for, model?

Lone Star

Sgt.Dusk
November 5, 2007, 01:33 AM
LOL
Gotta say something about the picture too...
I think that guy has an itchy finger and he draws in coming 2 seconds.
The woman thinks the guy is a moron and that he tries to prove something
to make the woman like him and later have a sexual intercourse with him.
So he maintains his tough guy act while the girl seems bored in all of that.

About that rifle...

elmerfudd
November 5, 2007, 01:43 AM
This looks like another bullpup with an obnoxiously long length of pull to me. There is no way that thing is going to shoulder quickly or point instinctively. I'd be expecting troops issued rifles like this to do more shooting from the hip since it will be much harder for them to take up a proper firing position.

ClickClickD'oh
November 5, 2007, 02:02 AM
Hey lady, tie your hair back. K'thnx

flynlr
November 5, 2007, 02:13 AM
I think that may be a record for the size of the trigger guard

Spiggy
November 5, 2007, 02:38 AM
soon, this rifle will be obsolete and replaced with a superior higher capacity rifle w/ better quality performance

I bet they'll call it the "DVD" :neener:

Edit!
Did a little research!

This new Croatian rifle, named VHS, was recently presented on iKA, an annual innovation display in Karlovac, Croatia.
Externally, it may look like a fuse of Tavor, Tavor 2 and FAMAS, but internally, there's a different story; when fired, gun powder gasses push the bolt backward via piston, that much is the same as in almost all assault rifles. However, the unique feature of this gun is that it has additional gas vent that leads some of the gases into a chamber located BEHIND the bolt. As the bolt moves backward, it's gradually slowed down and then softly stopped by a gas cushion, rather then coming into an abrupt stop as it reaches it's most backward position, causing recoil. This feature makes VHS, well, not recoilless, but very low recoil and easy to fire.
Some other features of the VHS rifle are the following; length 750mm, width 448mm, height 255mm. Barrel length 500mm(!) Calibre 5,56X45mm NATO
Cyclic rate of fire- 600rpm, single/auto/safe fire selector
Weight (without flash light, grenade launcher, bayonet or magazine)- only 2,3kg(!)
Pistol grip placed in weapon's center point, making it possible to fire with one hand.
Integral bipod that folds entirely into a serration in the grip.
Dove tail mount located under the barrel, infront of the pistol grip- for mounting flash light, laser or IC light.
Easy mounting 40mm underbarrel grenade launcher- when lower part of the front grip is removed, the GL mounts on the gun in the same manner as the bayonet.
Any kind of optical sight can be mounted ontop of a carry handle, which is also equipped with iron sight that shooter uses with both eyes open- apparently, this feature is common in some hunting rifles...I'd appreciate any additional info on that. (I'm familiar with military rifles, but know next to nothing about hunting rifles or shotguns...)
The VHS is developed by HS Produkt, the same factory that makes HS2000/ Springfield XD pistols. It's been thoroughly tested by HS Product team and presented as finished product, not prototype. It's currently undergoing testing by Croatian army. Rumour has it it's even been offered to US army...
Possible date of adaptation by Croatian army- some say Croatian contingent of MPs in Afghanistan will be equipped with VHS soon, other sources say the earliest VHS can be adopted is 2008...

http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/3000/3088.htm

Also, Wikipedia has mentions of it on HS Produkt's page
The most recent product announced by HS Produkt is the VHS assault rifle, a Bull-pup Select-fire weapon loosely based on the Israeli IMI Tavor TAR-21. The VHS rifle was first introduced at the 2007 iKA, the annual Croatian innovation display that takes place in the city of Karlovac. The development was carried on following a request of the Croatian Army for a new infantry rifle to update the individual equipment to NATO standards. While some sources state that the Croatian contingent currently deployed in Afghanistan within the ISAF mission could receive shipments of this weapon as early as in the year 2008, details are still skippy about its production and distribution, and other sources state that the Croatian Army will not be able to adopt this weapon in any significative quantity before 2010.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HS_Produkt

Bartholomew Roberts
November 5, 2007, 10:53 AM
Jut a guess here. Czech may be similar to these languages like Serbo-Coatian. Could the V be Vzor for, model?

Well, assuming that the "HS" stands for "HS Produkt", the manufacturer, then a moniker of "Model HS" makes no sense linguistically since it would describe every product they make. "Rifle HS" at least distinguishes which HS Product we are discussing.

Also from a linguistic standpoint, Serbo-Croat is closer to Russian than it is to Czech.

If you enjoyed reading about "A new, and quite mysterious Croation EBR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!