Glock or AR-15

PDA

68'chevelle
November 4, 2007, 09:15 AM
Should I get a Glock first or an AR?

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock or AR-15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ndolson
November 4, 2007, 09:18 AM
That's a really open ended question...

It would be best answered by what your needs from a weapon are.

gdvan01
November 4, 2007, 09:19 AM
If you're concerned about any potential restrictions as a result of the upcoming elections I'd say go with the AR. If you choose the AR, you can check Zak's site for the article on optics for the AR:

http://demigodllc.com/

Gary G23
November 4, 2007, 09:19 AM
AR.
And please post pictures of your Chevelle.

68'chevelle
November 4, 2007, 09:22 AM
I see. I would if I had a Chevelle, That is my favorate car so it is my username, I will have one soon though.

yosarian
November 4, 2007, 11:20 AM
BOTH :evil:

MudPuppy
November 4, 2007, 12:02 PM
Both. Or neither. Or the glock maybe, but maybe the AR.

More information could help with a more definitive suggestion. :p

glockman19
November 4, 2007, 12:32 PM
Get the Glock. It's a little hard to get the SR into your pocket, a hloster, tour nightstand....

If you have neither then the handgun would be more practicle. Also, 5.56/.223 is getting more expensive and harder to find.

DMK
November 4, 2007, 12:34 PM
Should I get a Glock first or an AR?If you don't have a good handgun, get the Glock first. Although I'd rather have a rifle in any fight, a handgun is infinitely more versatile.

If you already have a good handgun, get the AR15. A handgun will never compare to a rifle in stopping power or accuracy.

Don't base your decision purely on politics.

jakeswensonmt
November 4, 2007, 02:14 PM
It's like asking if you should buy a hammer or a screwdriver. I have to reply by asking if you're planning on using screws or nails? AR and Glock are different tools for different purposes.

Heavy Metal Hero
November 4, 2007, 02:20 PM
have to reply by asking if you're planning on using screws or nails?

What if he is planning to use the tool on nuts?

Thernlund
November 4, 2007, 02:50 PM
Get whichever one you don't have. Handgun vs. rifle.

-T.

DnPRK
November 4, 2007, 03:56 PM
Rifle before handgun, always.

collateral
November 4, 2007, 04:12 PM
Id say get an AR. But as its already been asked, what do you plan on doing with your firearm? If you want a carry piece, obviously go the route of the Glock. If youre looking for accurate, long range shooting and a good defensive weapon, get the AR.

Commander Guineapig
November 4, 2007, 04:31 PM
AR. I have a glock and I love it, but the AR could be hard to get soon...
which is a driving factor in my interest in them.
Ultimately both is the correct answer though. :D
ARs have more diverse usage IMHO.

GP

SoCalShooter
November 4, 2007, 04:32 PM
Get the AR!

Floppy_D
November 4, 2007, 04:50 PM
Wow, that's specific. Do you prefer apples or oranges?

Baba Louie
November 4, 2007, 05:05 PM
We used to be a nation of Riflemen back when agriculture was king and urban living was a lot less viable way of living.
So if you live more rural than urban, the rifle.

BUT... due to our current living conditions or being much more urban, the handgun has become far more common and useful a tool.
So if you live more urban than rural, get the handgun.

You know you want both and they both might be on a list of restricted items to be voted on in the near future (never forget that this nation outlawed beer at one time), so I'd get the AR AND the GLOCK, somehow, someway.

But I'd recommend you buy the one you'll probably shoot the most, politics notwithstanding.

RockyMtnTactical
November 4, 2007, 05:33 PM
I own both. The Glock is more practical, the AR15 is more fun.

68'chevelle
November 4, 2007, 07:21 PM
I'm wanting somthing for self and home deffense, I'll have to save for both.

DMK
November 4, 2007, 09:13 PM
Rifle before handgun, always.I'm wanting somthing for self and home deffenseGet the handgun first. What are you going to do with a rifle when someone weird comes knocking at your door at 0'Dark thirty? You can stick the gun in your waistband or pocket and be discreet about it.

Read the posts by the folks who lived through the worst of Katrina. They found a handgun much more useful than a rifle. You can clean up your yard and make repairs to your house with a rifle slung over your shoulder. You can with a handgun in a holster on your belt. You can hide your handgun on your person when you need to go out and about.

There's many more uses for a handgun where a rifle would be difficult to use.

That all said, if I know a fight is imminent and unavoidable, I'd much rather have one of my AR15s in my hands. Ultimately, you want both.

Pigspitter
November 4, 2007, 09:18 PM
well, you could always get an ar-15 with a quad rail system and a glock with a scope rail and find some way to attach rail to rail. Then you would have and ar-15 with and underbarrel glock

68'chevelle
November 4, 2007, 10:21 PM
I know if a anti-gun gets in the White House, the ar's will be really hard to get, and probably so will all other guns, I'll see about selling my Marlin 30-30, for a down payment on eather or.

Stevie-Ray
November 4, 2007, 10:28 PM
I recently went with a PLR-16, rather than a Glock 29. The Glock will be there when I next want a handgun. The way this election is panning out, I fear the PLR-16 will not. Only a slight fear, but there nonetheless.

I'd get the AR. Another thing, you're talking about a rather large dollar difference. You know, kinda like should I get a Kimber or a Taurus?:D

GunNut
November 4, 2007, 10:40 PM
Glock first, then get an AR or AK next.

5.56/.223 is soooo expensive right now you will probably not end up shooting it much.

Where is if you get a 9mm, 1K rounds is only $150-175. For comparison a 1k rounds of 5.56 is $300-400.

flip180
November 4, 2007, 10:43 PM
I'd buy a stripped AR lower such as one made by Stag for 100.00. I would then buy a Glock. That way you'll have a "pre ban" receiver and, you can skirt around any ban that you may be worried about and build a nice pre-ban AR as your time and funds permit. Oh, and stock up on mag. I have 8-G17 mags, 8-G19 mags, 25-AR mags and 16 mags for my Arsenal SLR-106FR. I don't have a G17 but I use the mags for CCW back up and for classes where I use my G19.

Flip.

davepool
November 4, 2007, 10:48 PM
I think the PLR-16 would be a good compromise

GunNut
November 4, 2007, 10:58 PM
I'd buy a stripped AR lower such as one made by Stag for 100.00. I would then buy a Glock. That way you'll have a "pre ban" receiver and, you can skirt around any ban that you may be worried about and build a nice pre-ban AR as your time and funds permit.

Remember though, during the last "ban" the gun had to be built up as a complete weapon prior to the "ban" date to be legal.

But really not a bad idea.

flip180
November 4, 2007, 11:09 PM
"Remember though, during the last "ban" the gun had to be built up as a complete weapon prior to the "ban" date to be legal."

But how would they know?:evil:. AR's are like a lego set. Who would know what configuration it would be in at the time of the ban. I would figure the serial number would dictate if the gun could be built as either a pre-ban or a post-ban AR.

Flip

S&WKING
November 5, 2007, 12:36 AM
ARis funner and has more uses and because glock are for gangsters

10-Ring
November 5, 2007, 12:57 AM
I would get the Glock & an AR lower at the same time and finish building up the AR as time & $$ allow :cool:

bigghoss
November 5, 2007, 01:30 AM
I went to the local shop to look at AR's but he didn't have any so I put a G17 on lay-a-way. I may have ordered one but I haven't decided on a brand yet.

anymanusa
November 5, 2007, 05:23 AM
I feel much safer with my AR15 than any pistol... but then again I don't own a glock.

TreyNC
November 5, 2007, 06:45 AM
Get the lower, then the glock, or try a sw m&p instead. Used to love my glock until I got the m&p, don;t want any thing else. Harder to get mags though.

jackinil
November 5, 2007, 08:01 AM
Got the G19 first,just finished assembling a RRA CAR 16".

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock or AR-15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!