question about 9mm luger ammo

PDA

pastorscott@optonline.net
November 4, 2007, 02:03 PM
Im new to 9mm ammo since I just got my first 9mm auto,
I want to buy ammo and see it on sale listed as luger ammo. does that mean its just for lugers ?Also where can I get 9mm cheap in bulk ?

Scott

If you enjoyed reading about "question about 9mm luger ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
average_shooter
November 4, 2007, 02:10 PM
IIRC; 9mm Luger = 9X19mm = 9mmNATO

Most common 9mm are 9X19mm, but be careful because there are also things like 9X18mm, .380ACP, 9mm Mak, etc that are all similar but different and are not interchangeable.

col_tapiocca
November 4, 2007, 03:10 PM
Same european ammo may labeled with
9mm Para or 9mm Parabellum too.

jonnyc
November 4, 2007, 03:21 PM
Yes, to consolidate; 9mmP, Para., Parabellum, Luger, NATO, 9x19, and 9x19mm are all the same round.

November 4, 2007, 04:27 PM
So those 9mm lugers for sale at Cabelas will work in my 9mm auto

thanks]
Scott:confused:

jaydubya
November 4, 2007, 04:28 PM
Keep your eye on Outdoor Marksman. Right now they do not have 500/1000 "Factory reloaded" 9mm 115gr ball, but when they do it will be thrifty. Also check www.mastercast.com. I haven't bought any 9mm from them, but I am well through 4,000 of their .38sp reloads. They are reliable, very prompt, and inexpensive -- especially if you send them your brass. If you do, send it Postal Service Priority Mail. This costs me eight bucks and change to ship a thousand cases. Any other way I know it costs twenty or more dollars.

Cordially, Jack

November 4, 2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks guys

Im new to this forum and ready have found it GREAT

Scott

CAnnoneer
November 6, 2007, 10:42 PM
I like 9mm too. Without reloading, the cheapest I know of is 115gr FMJ Blazer at Nachess shooting supplies.

Deacon Blues
November 6, 2007, 11:18 PM
In case you can't remember all the distinctions, this is the easiest way to be sure you're getting the right "9mm" cartridge: price. If you see several 9xSomething loads, yours should be the cheapest. That's one of the great thngs about 9x19.

strat81
November 6, 2007, 11:33 PM
Some 9mm designations you CAN NOT use:
9x18 (9mm Makarov), 9x17 (.380 Auto), 9mm Kurz, 9mm Short, 9mm Browning, 9x21, 9x23, 9mm Largo.

As for cheapest, that's usually CCI Blazer 115gr FMJ. Other cheap brands include Wolf, Blazer Brass, Sellier & Bellot (S&B), Fiocchi, Monarch, Federal American Eagle, Speer Lawman, Prvi Partizan, Independence, Winchester USA Brand (aka white box or WWB). Some places to check:
www.aimsurplus.com
www.midwayusa.com
www.natchezss.com
www.cheaperthandirt.com
www.ammoman.com
Wal-mart (brick & mortar)

Be careful! Some places include shipping in their prices, others do not. Usually you will get a quantity discount if you order a case of 1000 rounds. The only brand of ammo I would avoid is American Ammunition (aka A-Merc). I'd also keep away from military surplus (mil-surp) ammo since it may be corrosive or loaded hot for submachine guns.

For cheap stuff, I prefer either WWB or S&B. They are reliable, equally dirty (but not as dirty as Blazer or Wolf), and the brass is reloadable. Save your brass! You might decide to reload someday and the brass is nice to have. Or, you can sell it to reloaders.

I notice you are in NY... I'm not sure where in NY, but I *think* some places (NYC) prohibit mail order ammo sales. The seller should be able to fill you in on this.

Gingerbreadman
November 6, 2007, 11:47 PM
I saw it posted already, but I want to make absolutely sure:
are 9x19 is completely interchangeable with 9mm parabellum, etc., not like .223/5.56 or 7.62x51/308 winchester?

November 7, 2007, 12:32 AM
I found it real cheap for 9mm 1000 rounds. Is it ok for target shooting ?

thanks
Scott

RP86
November 7, 2007, 12:44 AM
Wolf Ammo

thanks
Scott

If you are looking to buy this check out www.ammoman.com for great prices, you can't beat the free shipping.(it's listed as 9mm Luger on the website) Not sure about the Walmart's where you are, but down here they carry 9mm at reasonable prices. I haven't had any personal experience with wolf 9mm, but it more than likely shoots dirty. Nothing wrong with that if you don't mind doing a little extra cleaning. I was thinking about ordering some just to test it out and see, because either people use it or absolutely refuse to do so.

glockman19
November 7, 2007, 01:13 AM
right now you can get CCI Blaser Brass 9mm for 9.99 a box of 50. Even less than the reloads @ an indoor range I go/went to.

strat81
November 7, 2007, 04:00 PM
are 9x19 is completely interchangeable with 9mm parabellum, etc.,
Yes. If you are shooting a relatively modern gun, SAAMI spec ammo is fine and those designations are interchangeable. I'd just be careful with old guns, or ammo marked +P, +P+, or submachinegun ammo.

Wolf is not the most accurate ammo out there, but it should be fine for plinking. It is probably the dirtiest ammo out there, so be sure to clean your gun well after your range session (which is good practice anyway). Wolf is generally steel-cased and is not reloadable. Some folks also have problems with Wolf in some guns. I'd do a search and see if your gun is one of those.

mljdeckard
November 7, 2007, 04:38 PM
Wolf is imported russian ammo. My rule is, use russian ammo in russian guns. (Makarovs, SKSs, AKs chambered for .7.62 NATO, 5.56 NATO, etc.) It's steel cased, and some say it's tougher on your chambers and magazines. I'll shoot Wolf 7.62x39 through my SKS all day long. Russian military arms are built to looser, tougher specs.

Wolf makes .30 Carbine, and it may work fine, but I'm not going to risk dinging up the chamber of my family heirloom Inland to find out.

Silvanus
November 7, 2007, 05:05 PM
Read this: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu6.htm

I think that a lot of people just assume that Wolf ammo is not as accurate as other inexpensive ammo. Maybe it's because it's Russian, or because it's cheap, or steel-cased. I don't know. But my experience has been the same as the guys' on the link I posted. Out of a friend's new Beretta 90-two (or whatever you spell that) the Wolf .40S&W was very accurate.

jaydubya
November 7, 2007, 11:00 PM
Don't know which 9mm pistol you have, but if it is a Hi Power I would avoid steel case Wolf. It has a reputation of beating up the extractor.
Cordially, Jack

Black Adder LXX
November 8, 2007, 07:03 AM
$$$ for ammo is an issue with me. I get my 9mm from Wal-Mart. The Winchester White Box. Only get the 100 round box, though. The 50 round boxes aren't as good of a deal. I've gone through a couple thousand rounds and have never had any problems.

madmattmd
November 8, 2007, 12:13 PM
My local Dick's Sporting Goods had a sale last week on 9mm. Case price (10 boxes of 50) for Remington UMC came to $6.98 per 50 (.14 per round) plus sales tax. I usually try to stop by and stock up when they have a sale.

I just wish they carried 10mm!

Matt

tinygnat219
November 9, 2007, 06:48 AM
The only brand of ammo I would avoid is American Ammunition (aka A-Merc).

Yup. This ammo is garbage I have literally picked some up by the bullet only to have the bullet come out of the cartridge case. I couldn't tell you how many misfires, stretched cases, and otherwise wierd spooky crap has happened when using this ammo. Avoid it like the plague. It's junk.

gandog56
November 9, 2007, 12:33 PM
Don't know which 9mm pistol you have, but if it is a Hi Power I would avoid steel case Wolf. It has a reputation of beating up the extractor.
Cordially, Jack

Hi-Point? I pity da fool!

My two closest indoor ranges both do not allow Wolf ammo to be shot in them. Maybe a consideration before you buy it. I use lots of it at my nearest outdoor range.

jaydubya
November 10, 2007, 12:04 AM
Hi-Point? I pity da fool!

I'm not sure who you aimed this remark at, but if it was me, check again what I wrote: "Hi Power", as in one of John Moses Browning's finer designs. I would also suggest that it is poor thinking to sneer at someone's handgun. That someone has a gun.
Jack

Silvanus
November 10, 2007, 04:20 PM
both do not allow Wolf ammo to be shot in them

Why is that?

jaydubya
November 10, 2007, 06:15 PM
Chances are these ranges also forbid aluminum cased ammo. Spent brass (note the word, "brass"), is a significant source of income for ranges.
Cordially, Jack

chieftain
November 10, 2007, 06:28 PM
WAl-Mart. Winchester 100 round packs.

Remington 250 round packs.

For carry, in 9mm I use Cor-Bon DPX 115gr +P. Or Cor-Bon 115gr +P.

There are other very good choices too.

Good luck

Fred

NeveraVictimAgain
November 11, 2007, 03:34 PM
When I used to spend a lot of time on the Makarov forum at www.gunboards.com I read that the Wolf (tm) ammo in the steel shells is coated with a lacquer. Apparently the lacquer can melt when the chamber heats up after 100 rounds or so and gum up your gun. So I avoid the Wolf in the steel shells.
Wolf now has their "Gold" line in brass cases. It might be perfectly good ammo, I don't know, I've never had any. Wolf isn't available to me locally and I find by the time I pay the shipping charges for mail order ammo it's just as cheap to shop at Wal-Mart (tm) or get the CCI Blazer (tm) at my local gun shop. Plus I don't have to stay home all day to sign the receipt for the shipping company.

hso
November 30, 2007, 07:25 AM
Monarch Brass 9mm FMJ, $7/50 at Academy Sports.

1SOW
November 30, 2007, 12:35 PM
If you just want NEW 115 gr FMJ, Academy Sporting Goods sell both Winchester White Box And Remmington 250 half-case at $8.00 per box of 50. Both about 1050fps. You'll save shipping costs if one is nearby.
If you want reloaded 124gr FMJ (better for steel targets) there are some good prices for 500/1000 rds at Georgia Arms and Outdoor Marksman Corporation (OMC). OMC rounds were not pretty but shot ok. I found a couple with the primer not seated properly. Georgia Arms ammo looked new and friends say they had no problems with them. Both of these rated at 1050-1075fps.

NORTEXED
November 30, 2007, 12:41 PM
Uhhhh,$8 for a 250 rnd box ;-)

chieftain
November 30, 2007, 12:50 PM
Uhhhh,$8 for a 250 rnd box ;-)

How much for the capital expense of your equipment and accessories, and how much per hour for your time? Both in collection of brass, prep of brass, purchasing supplies, and at the press with production?

My rate at work is $58.00 an hour. I can not afford to reload.

With exception, it is still cheaper for me to buy factory fresh. Shortly when I retire, I will probably rejoin you in reloading. I had stopped reloading about 25 years ago with an old singe stage 'O' press.

But when my time has little value, the reloading makes very good sense. Unless one finds reloading to be a hobby. Then have at it.

I always enjoyed working up a load. But the "production" side was simply work.

Go figure.

Fred

littlegator
November 30, 2007, 12:51 PM
I just looked on Academy's web site, and it's $7.93 for a 50 round box, not for a 250 round box. Nice thought though. ;)

NORTEXED
November 30, 2007, 01:48 PM
Chieftan, I used to look at reloading like you do, and got out for a long while, before I realized that it's kinda therapy for me. I am kind of at the point I like reloading as much as shooting, it relaxes me and gives me a sense of accomplishment when I see the finished rounds (even on my single stage). So much of what I do at work in the office, I don't get to see a "finished product" on. :D

Liko81
November 30, 2007, 04:29 PM
For cheap stuff, I prefer either WWB or S&B. They are reliable, equally dirty (but not as dirty as Blazer or Wolf), and the brass is reloadable. Save your brass! You might decide to reload someday and the brass is nice to have. Or, you can sell it to reloaders.

+1 for WWB; great plinking rounds, cheap while still reliable, but they are very dirty. If you're planning to shoot a lot at once, look around for Remington UMC 250-packs; they run about $38 (usually comparable to 5 boxes of WWB) and are FAR cleaner; I got about half the fouling after twice the rounds when I started using these. My gun (Ruger P95) has not yet met a cartridge it didn't like, but I know some 9s are picky about what they eat, so buy a box each of a few different brands and see which one fires best through your gun. You'll eventually shoot it all anyway (or trade with another 9mm owner if your gun simply will not tolerate a brand) so it's worth it to figure out the cheapest brand your gun fires reliably.

If you enjoyed reading about "question about 9mm luger ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!